Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5135376 times)

albion59

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #16000 on: September 20, 2017, 10:49:29 PM »

He missed 3 chances. 2 absolute sitters. Morrison at least was in a tackle so had to use a toe poke. Kanu had the freedom of the Hawthorns twice.
I can't comment on tonight I wasn't there and haven't seen any of the game, I'll take your word for it.

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16001 on: September 20, 2017, 11:17:56 PM »

He missed 3 chances. 2 absolute sitters. Morrison at least was in a tackle so had to use a toe poke. Kanu had the freedom of the Hawthorns twice.

Here is Kanu's last second miss

https://streamable.com/60ash

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #16002 on: September 20, 2017, 11:33:15 PM »
No shame in losing to this City side especially when we played so well 2nd half

HRK has to finish those chances..how he doesnt I dont know  :o
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16003 on: September 20, 2017, 11:34:26 PM »

Should have buried that. Oh well.
the regime don't like it man

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #16004 on: September 20, 2017, 11:35:40 PM »
Judging by the comments we played really well 2nd half and some good attacking football

Please Tone take the shackles off and let us play

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16005 on: September 20, 2017, 11:46:01 PM »
HRK has to bury that last chance, nearly as bad as his name sake.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16006 on: September 20, 2017, 11:49:21 PM »

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16007 on: September 21, 2017, 12:02:07 AM »
To be fair to HRK the miss at the end was on his weak left foot with him off balance and was at a point in the game when he was knackered and fatigued. Had it been on his right side he most likely would have been alright like he scored at Burnley. He should have scored but his the post, not that unsurprising all round really.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16008 on: September 21, 2017, 12:17:42 AM »

the more you see it the more its abominable,he only needed to look up and hit it to the right of the keeper,a simple tap in

Baggiee_Boyy_Benn

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16009 on: September 21, 2017, 01:33:58 AM »
To be fair to HRK the miss at the end was on his weak left foot with him off balance and was at a point in the game when he was knackered and fatigued. Had it been on his right side he most likely would have been alright like he scored at Burnley. He should have scored but his the post, not that unsurprising all round really.
A premier league and international footballer missing that.... sort of is surprising  :o

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16010 on: September 21, 2017, 06:29:03 AM »
Pulis showed some tactical innovation and willingness to attack yesterday. I suspect this was because it was the league cup and as such a draw was of no use to us. It will be interesting to see if he adopts the same approach when we play City in the league next month.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16011 on: September 21, 2017, 07:32:37 AM »
the more you see it the more its abominable,he only needed to look up and hit it to the right of the keeper,a simple tap in
Easy When your sitting watching, isn't it? Even world class players miss sitters mate.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #16012 on: September 21, 2017, 07:46:12 AM »

This is a fantastic argument...but HRK is left footed. Thought I may be wrong so I checked transfermarkt and yeah, it was on his strong foot.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16013 on: September 21, 2017, 09:27:38 AM »
Christ on a bike mate that's one hell of a stat.
Does sum it up though.

I'm surprised, considering the thurst for entertainment, that he sat through all of the Megson years. 

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16014 on: September 21, 2017, 10:02:14 AM »
This is a fantastic argument...but HRK is left footed. Thought I may be wrong so I checked transfermarkt and yeah, it was on his strong foot.

Yep the screamer against Southampton was with his left also

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16015 on: September 21, 2017, 10:32:40 AM »
I'm surprised, considering the thurst for entertainment, that he sat through all of the Megson years.
zHorses for courses mate different era different players had to do with what we had totally different now no need to play that way now! If you want to comment on my post's I am here

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16016 on: September 21, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »
zHorses for courses mate different era different players had to do with what we had totally different now no need to play that way now! If you want to comment on my post'sI I am here
Oh and I have also sat thorough two and half years of this.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16017 on: September 21, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »
I thought we showed City too much respect first half but second half got at them a bit.

I think out the big boys, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City clearly their defences are their weak spot, we arent going to out football them, whether we play 10 behind the ball or 8, it doesnt matter, they will have more of the ball that us.

So why not release the shackles, play two up front like we did most of the second half and put their weak spot under pressure? We know we play on the counter so if we are getting it forward, have two strikers to occupy their defence as we break as well as the pace from the wings. We will still have enough players back who are organised, disciplined and behind the ball so we dont get caught out.

I know its not quite as easy as FIFA football but the chances are we are going to get beat by the big boys, problem is a lot of the 'smaller' teams play into their hands by going damage limitation, why not catch them on the hop and actually really try and exploit their weakness, would rather have a go and lose 3-1 knowing we have had a go at winning the game than lose 2-0 knowing we just went to keep the score down.

Its about playing to your strengths, we have hard working, aggressive strikers, make use of them.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16018 on: September 21, 2017, 12:06:29 PM »
Easy When your sitting watching, isn't it? Even world class players miss sitters mate.
Not as often as our players mate

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16019 on: September 21, 2017, 12:11:54 PM »
Its about playing to your strengths, we have hard working, aggressive strikers, make use of them.

How we approach these games has got us some decent results recently.  Not really been on the end of a spanking (that often).

I'd say our strengths are organisation and keeping it tight at the back.

We might have hard working, aggressive strikers, but I'm not sure that's a strength we should play towards - we still don't have that clinical finisher.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16020 on: September 21, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »
I know what you mean Boinging_along but i think last season out the 'big boys' we drew with Spurs at home, beat Arsenal at home and i think lost the rest.

Although we only lost a few of the games by a small margin, we ultimately did still lose.

I dont want us to go crazy, our basis is we are organised and disciplined, we need to keep that without doubt but actually offer something the other end, give teams something to think about, especially those with weaker defences, we may still lose but would rather lose having a go at getting a positive result rather than losing just hoping we nick a point.

hillsm

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #16021 on: September 21, 2017, 01:42:30 PM »
I know what you mean Boinging_along but i think last season out the 'big boys' we drew with Spurs at home, beat Arsenal at home and i think lost the rest.

Although we only lost a few of the games by a small margin, we ultimately did still lose.

I dont want us to go crazy, our basis is we are organised and disciplined, we need to keep that without doubt but actually offer something the other end, give teams something to think about, especially those with weaker defences, we may still lose but would rather lose having a go at getting a positive result rather than losing just hoping we nick a point.

We drew away at Old Trafford and was a poor defensive slip up away from getting a point at Chelsea as well. From memory the goals we conceded away to Liverpool were poor - think Nyom got caught out similar to the opening goal against Brighton recently.

I think TP sets us up in the correct manner against the bigger teams, it's important to stay in the game as long as possible and give us credit last night could have turned into a horror show after conceding so early on. Yes Foster made some good saves but that's what hes in the team to do, none of them were particularly extraordinary.

Look how Watford and Feyenoord got steamrollered by City recently, that's what will happen if we open up too much - the winning goal they scored last night being a classic example.

The season before last I think we had a good record against the bigger teams and people were complaining that we weren't doing it against the teams in and around us.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16022 on: September 21, 2017, 02:35:50 PM »
I give Pulis (and the players) massive credit for the second half last night, they turned it round and we were unlucky not to win.

But thats my point, first half we just sat off City and let them come at us (they dont need much help with that anyway) and if we had played like that the whole game we would of got beat 5 or 6 nil.

Instead we did something that most teams dont second half, we got in their faces and put them under pressure and they were rocking.

We have to keep the strong organised back line but when we are under so much pressure and get the ball forward quick, having two players pressuring upfront makes so much difference as we saw last night, Man City wasnt expecting that, most big clubs arent, they were probably expect lesser teams be plucky and try and nick a fluke, instead we went at them, created chances and they were struggling.

Chances are we will lose when we play the big boys because they have better players but you have always got to give yourself a chance and second half last night we did that and i hope there is more to come.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #16023 on: September 21, 2017, 05:35:42 PM »
I give Pulis (and the players) massive credit for the second half last night, they turned it round and we were unlucky not to win.

But thats my point, first half we just sat off City and let them come at us (they dont need much help with that anyway) and if we had played like that the whole game we would of got beat 5 or 6 nil.

Instead we did something that most teams dont second half, we got in their faces and put them under pressure and they were rocking.

We have to keep the strong organised back line but when we are under so much pressure and get the ball forward quick, having two players pressuring upfront makes so much difference as we saw last night, Man City wasnt expecting that, most big clubs arent, they were probably expect lesser teams be plucky and try and nick a fluke, instead we went at them, created chances and they were struggling.

Chances are we will lose when we play the big boys because they have better players but you have always got to give yourself a chance and second half last night we did that and i hope there is more to come.

We didn't sit off them in the first half though we had an active press which particularly targeted Mangala, the problem was (usually Dawson) would give the ball away as soon as we won it back. Yes if the initial press failed we fell back into our defensive shape, it would have been stupid not to.

2nd half we cut out the cheap turnovers and the injury to Gundogan badly affected City at the same time as Phillips realised he had the beating of Danilo. Nothing really changed except these 3 things.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16024 on: September 21, 2017, 09:05:52 PM »
By no means am I happy that HRK is one of our main strikers, but on this one he deserves some protection, watch the spin on the ball as it lands in front of him and he has a millisecond to get the shot off
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..