Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5164430 times)

RuncornBaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #15875 on: September 13, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »
Crikey, didn't realise it was that grim in terms of wins from a losing position.

It would be interesting to see the rest of the divisions stats on this?

Could anyone on here look at getting this data?
Heyyyyyyy, Tim Sherwood, Oooh, Aahh, I wanna knowwww..........Why you're such a.............

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15876 on: September 13, 2017, 12:29:12 PM »
It would be interesting to see the rest of the divisions stats on this?

Could anyone on here look at getting this data?

Looks like we were joint 4th in Febuary last year. This is a comparison of total points not wins from a losing position.

https://talksport.com/football/revealed-top-11-clubs-have-won-most-points-losing-positions-premier-league-160301186655
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15877 on: September 13, 2017, 12:31:28 PM »
Looks like we were joint 4th in Febuary last year. This is a comparison of total points not wins from a losing position.

https://talksport.com/football/revealed-top-11-clubs-have-won-most-points-losing-positions-premier-league-160301186655

Problem with such things being that the likes of Man City, Chelsea etc don't go behind very often.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15878 on: September 13, 2017, 12:35:22 PM »
Hey Devon,would you sooner play open expansive football and possibly lose and be relegated or a steady progression of quality players which hopefully would result in better football and an almost certain retention of premier league football.
I prefer the latter,sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.
The tactics don't change regardless of personnel, so it probably won't get worse, nor will it get much better, it will just stay the same.
He gradually brought in better players at Stoke but it had little effect on style, points or league position.
His best finish was 11th with 47 points, Hughes finished 9th with 50 in his first season. Not saying Hughes is a better manager or plays open, expansive football, just pointing out that moving on from Pulis does not necessarily mean a downturn and certainly doesn't guarantee relegation.

What you see is what you get with Pulis, he makes no apologies for it, why would he, it works.
All we have to do is decide if we want to pay to watch it.

hillsm

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #15879 on: September 13, 2017, 01:52:09 PM »
The tactics don't change regardless of personnel, so it probably won't get worse, nor will it get much better, it will just stay the same.
He gradually brought in better players at Stoke but it had little effect on style, points or league position.
His best finish was 11th with 47 points, Hughes finished 9th with 50 in his first season. Not saying Hughes is a better manager or plays open, expansive football, just pointing out that moving on from Pulis does not necessarily mean a downturn and certainly doesn't guarantee relegation.

What you see is what you get with Pulis, he makes no apologies for it, why would he, it works.

He also took Stoke to an FA cup final and had a respectable European and domestic campaign the following season. How many times do you hear the old adage that a club that size can't compete on two fronts due to the lack of resources? The fact that they were in Europe probably did mean that their league form suffered, but not to the extent that they were ever threatened by relegation, which in my opinion is an understated achievement.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15880 on: September 13, 2017, 02:17:16 PM »

He also took Stoke to an FA cup final and had a respectable European and domestic campaign the following season. How many times do you hear the old adage that a club that size can't compete on two fronts due to the lack of resources? The fact that they were in Europe probably did mean that their league form suffered, but not to the extent that they were ever threatened by relegation, which in my opinion is an understated achievement.
Yes and he employed the same tactics in both of those competitions.
Not saying they don't work, they clearly do, but nor are they the only way.
You pays ya money and takes ya choice.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15881 on: September 13, 2017, 02:19:50 PM »

So what changed when he was Crystal Palace? I could watch that team for days. Tore us a new one from memory.........
MAGA!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15882 on: September 13, 2017, 02:31:10 PM »
So what changed when he was Crystal Palace? I could watch that team for days. Tore us a new one from memory.........
Not that much to be honest mate.
He turned them around and yes they had some decent attacking players who hit form, a bit like us mid last season, but I don't think tactically he did anything different.
I'm sure someone will have relative stats though so I stand to be corrected.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15883 on: September 13, 2017, 04:10:00 PM »

Doesn't count though. Surely there's too many variables??  :P

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15884 on: September 13, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »
Hey Devon,would you sooner play open expansive football and possibly lose and be relegated or a steady progression of quality players which hopefully would result in better football and an almost certain retention of premier league football.
I prefer the latter,sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.
We lose anyway playing dire football, if we had a  go at playing football you never know we might just surprise a few teams!

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15885 on: September 13, 2017, 06:34:17 PM »
We lose anyway playing dire football, if we had a  go at playing football you never know we might just surprise a few teams!

We won the first three games of the season  ;)
the regime don't like it man

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15886 on: September 13, 2017, 07:32:59 PM »
We won the first three games of the season  ;)

Agreed, if we were laid these cards in the table at the start of the season, we'd have all taken them. I honestly believe that Tony realises he messed up v Brighton - but feel he thought he could 'shoehorn' our three defensive midfielders into our team. After all, were paying the wages of a 30 mil pound player so he's going to need to be seen....logic would dictate. I completely understand some people's frustrations...but we know what to expect with a Pulis team....maybe he may just strike the right formula before too long! Obviously for a non top six team🤔😉

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15887 on: September 13, 2017, 08:31:56 PM »
;D We have had 1 off day...come on we have 7 points from 4 games. If we keep this ratio going we will accumulate 66 points and be in top six position.

Honestly, some people on here need a BIG REALITY CHECK!!!! Can we give the "new" players a couple of weeks to settle into the "Pulis" system.

I notice Fozz is getting a roasting for his performance.....He is an International goalkeeper and probably got us 10 points last season with his saves.

I couldn't see him at fault with any of the goals...the old saying you got to get through 10 men to get to the Keeper.

Oh! by the way I was a keeper for 50 years,so I belong to the Keepers Union.

Give Pulis time to get them to gel.

The reality is people are going to work all week to pay their hard earned cash to see a bag of sh*te for no real reason when its clear we now have more balance and quality in the squad... so you have to expect people to moan and complain... its within their rights to.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15888 on: September 13, 2017, 11:11:35 PM »
The reality is people are going to work all week to pay their hard earned cash to see a bag of sh*te for no real reason when its clear we now have more balance and quality in the squad... so you have to expect people to moan and complain... its within their rights to.

I 100% agree.

Add to this, it wasn't "a day off", that will happen, as will bad luck. What Pulis did was go against a team who hadn't yet scored in 3 previous matches and set a team out with a hodge-podge defence and 3 defensive midfielders in-front of them.

The worst part is i honestly think thats his go to team:

LW (probably JRod )                                        Rondon or HRK                                     Phillips

Barry                    Grego                  Livermore

I genuinely think he thinks he can't not play those 3 central lads, so Chadli/Mozza/Brunt are going to be incredibly limited for game time.

If we score more than 42 goals this season i'm be amazed.

I'm just sick of him   :'(
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15889 on: September 13, 2017, 11:42:13 PM »
I 100% agree.

Add to this, it wasn't "a day off", that will happen, as will bad luck. What Pulis did was go against a team who hadn't yet scored in 3 previous matches and set a team out with a hodge-podge defence and 3 defensive midfielders in-front of them.

The worst part is i honestly think thats his go to team:

LW (probably JRod )                                        Rondon or HRK                                     Phillips

Barry                    Grego                  Livermore

I genuinely think he thinks he can't not play those 3 central lads, so Chadli/Mozza/Brunt are going to be incredibly limited for game time.

If we score more than 42 goals this season i'm be amazed.

I'm just sick of him   :'(

Oddly enough I wouldn't have a problem with 3 fairly robust central midfielders if we were ever going to play a genuine 3 up top with attacking wide players who tended to come inside in support of the central striker, particularly if this allowed the full backs the opportunity to overlap.

The problem is out of possession (which in our case is typically between 60% and 70% of most games) the wingers sit deep in support of the full backs and in possession the full backs seldom get ahead of the wingers.

We almost have the personnel for it if one of the central midfielders was a genuine deep sitting play maker we would be good to go.

However you know that is never going to happen with Pulis in charge, forget I ever mentioned it.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15890 on: September 16, 2017, 05:38:50 PM »
I guess the embarssing anti pulis gang will be out tonight

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15891 on: September 16, 2017, 06:04:10 PM »
Damn right, we're absolute sh1te. Even if we'd won that 1-0 with a last minute goal.

Terrible performances against Bournemouth, Burnley, Stoke, Brighton and West Ham.

Don't defend the indefensible

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15892 on: September 16, 2017, 06:06:03 PM »

Yes, those who want more than what is currently being provided are embarrassing  :-X

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15893 on: September 16, 2017, 06:35:04 PM »
It's not a matter of being Anti Pulis, what I have just watched is anti football, shocking in 50 years of watching football that is one of the worst games I have ever seen!! :(

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15894 on: September 16, 2017, 06:42:52 PM »
It's not a matter of being Anti Pulis, what I have just watched is anti football, shocking in 50 years of watching football that is one of the worst games I have ever seen!! :(

Whilst today was a dreadful game where Albion played poorly does anyone really think he sends us out to play so poorly. Some of the comments after games on here are a joke. Today's I've seen shambolic and worst I've ever seen. These people obviously don't remember losing at home five to crew or being two up and losing in the last ten mins to Swansea. And before anyone says, yes but it's entertainment, you lot wanting a return to Mowbray football will be the first to moan when we have lost by about 4 today under him or we were winning with 5 to go and lose. I've seen a comment saying today, I wish we were back in the champ. does anyone really want that. I'm going to smacked how some of our fans have become

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15895 on: September 16, 2017, 06:48:32 PM »

Whilst today was a dreadful game where Albion played poorly does anyone really think he sends us out to play so poorly. Some of the comments after games on here are a joke. Today's I've seen shambolic and worst I've ever seen. These people obviously don't remember losing at home five to crew or being two up and losing in the last ten mins to Swansea. And before anyone says, yes but it's entertainment, you lot wanting a return to Mowbray football will be the first to moan when we have lost by about 4 today under him or we were winning with 5 to go and lose. I've seen a comment saying today, I wish we were back in the champ. does anyone really want that. I'm going to smacked how some of our fans have become

Yes, because if we got rid of Pulis, we would automatically be losing 4 nil at home to West Ham  ::)

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15896 on: September 16, 2017, 06:54:57 PM »

The standard pro-Pulis response that.

If we don't like Pulis then we must be gagging for Mowbray-style/relegation!

I don't mind counter attacking football but to be an effective counter attacking you need to be able to counter attack.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15897 on: September 16, 2017, 06:59:23 PM »
No Pulis doesn't send his team out to play badly but the overwhelming negativity that permeates through the side is down to him. We aren't a counter attacking team when we turnover the ball there is seldom ever a quick break we don't even look for it when the ball is in Foster's hands.

I am not disappointed anymore I don't expect anything else.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15898 on: September 16, 2017, 07:07:42 PM »
its a shame its going a bit negative after what seemed a good start and a decent transfer window, there was an air of expectancy but in truth we still have the same problems creating and scoring goals.

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15899 on: September 16, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
He's run his course. Get rid now. Our new pre match song should be walk the dinosaur