Author Topic: 20 Oct 2018 Wigan Athletic 1 Albion 0  (Read 30482 times)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2018, 08:10:50 AM »
Tosin left me less than impressed to be honest.

Casual in possession, weak in the challenge and out of position on several occasions.

As for the goal Hegazi could/should have done better.

Then again he wouldn't have found himself in bother had Tosin acquitted himself better in the first instance.

https://www.skysports.com/efl/championship/video/11530771/wigan-1-0-west-brom

Agree almost entirely regarding the cretinous fkwhit entrusted with the whistle.

However, I thought Livermore's second yellow was a bit harsh given the general leeway extended to Wigan throughout.

Very niggly team that's very much in the mould of their manager when he was player.

Capable of some really good football and 'blessed' with a working knowledge of the darker side of the game.

Having watched highlights of the game I agree Tosin should have done better with his challenge for the header (that led to the goal) but other than that I thought he did okay when he came on, looking to get us forward quickly, I can only really remember him being caught out of position once when he was slow to get back.

Not sure what Hegazi was trying to do he just seemed to stop to allow Windass to pick his spot (I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose but that's what it looks like), it was the same lack of defending that he showed at home against Bristol City when they scored their 2nd.

Again, having seen the highlights, I think Livermore was unlucky to get a second booking for the challenge on Windass who is clearly making more out of it to try and get Livermore booked, the way he motions to the ref and Livermore it's obvious what he is doing. At the time it looked like a booking.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #151 on: October 22, 2018, 08:53:10 AM »
I thought all 3 defenders had a hand in conceding that.  I mean, with 3 CH's you shouldn't be conceding a long ball from the keeper for a start.  Tosin should have done better with the header, Hegazi did the right thing dropping back when he realising he wouldn't get there, but Bartley should have been dropping to help Hegazi out rather than watch him in a 1v1.  Hegazi should also have done better there.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #152 on: October 22, 2018, 08:59:35 AM »
Tosin left me less than impressed to be honest.

Casual in possession, weak in the challenge and out of position on several occasions.

As for the goal Hegazi could/should have done better.

Then again he wouldn't have found himself in bother had Tosin acquitted himself better in the first instance.

https://www.skysports.com/efl/championship/video/11530771/wigan-1-0-west-brom

Agree almost entirely regarding the cretinous fkwhit entrusted with the whistle.

However, I thought Livermore's second yellow was a bit harsh given the general leeway extended to Wigan throughout.

Very niggly team that's very much in the mould of their manager when he was player.

Capable of some really good football and 'blessed' with a working knowledge of the darker side of the game.

Really rate their boss, think he will go on to be a good manager. Personally I prefer him to Dean Smith.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #153 on: October 22, 2018, 09:19:21 AM »
I thought all 3 defenders had a hand in conceding that.  I mean, with 3 CH's you shouldn't be conceding a long ball from the keeper for a start.  Tosin should have done better with the header, Hegazi did the right thing dropping back when he realising he wouldn't get there, but Bartley should have been dropping to help Hegazi out rather than watch him in a 1v1.  Hegazi should also have done better there.

First error for the goal is Adarabioyo misjudging the clearance and getting caught underneath the ball. That shouldn't be happening.

Second error (and the most crucial) is Mears not reading the situation and not following his runner. There was no other danger, Mears has to track that run.

Hegazi then is left in the proverbial. Either he goes for the challenge which is 40-60 and risk a foul and very possibly a red card or he drops off and at least gives the attacker another obstacle. I think he does the right thing but the forward does very well and changes direction and with Hegazi having to react to the change of direction I'm not sure he could've done much more.

Looking at Sam Johnstone's positioning, I think he should be taking another step to his left. The forward is always likely to shoot into the keeper's left corner from there given the direction he's running in. If the forward shoots across himself then fair play, hands up it's an outstanding finish. Could / would Johnstone have saved the shot had he been another yard to his left? Probably not, the guy hits the shot too well so although I think his positioning could've been better I don't blame Johnstone for the goal.

Blame for me lies with Adarabioyo and Mears.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2018, 10:42:38 AM »
Fully agree with your post Atomic.

Thought Tosin and Mears could/should have done better and dealt with the situation.

Think it highlights the need for better cover for Phillips in January.

It also shows for me we are still light in the CB position, when I have seen Tosin he doesn't strike me as someone who's going to be playing at the highest level (granted its early in his career and he is still young).

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2018, 10:52:10 AM »
yes Mears should have tracked the run of Windass but Hegazi doesn't get anything like close enough to Windass to even make a challenge, in that respect Hegazi is as culpable for the goal as Mears and Adabarioyo, IMO they all made errors that led to the goal.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggies_ash

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2018, 12:19:27 PM »
Fully agree with your post Atomic.

Thought Tosin and Mears could/should have done better and dealt with the situation.

Think it highlights the need for better cover for Phillips in January.

It also shows for me we are still light in the CB position, when I have seen Tosin he doesn't strike me as someone who's going to be playing at the highest level (granted its early in his career and he is still young).

We definitely do need quality cover for Phillips but i would argue, had Moore reverted to a back 4 (Dawson/Hegazi/Bartley/Gibbs) knowing that the replacements in his squad weren't good enough to replace Phillips both offensively and defensively which is needed as a wing back, his absence would have been far less noticeable and would have meant you could play a Burke/Edwards/Leko right midfield as they would have had a solid full back behind them to cover.

I like the 3-5-2 system but it cannot be relied upon as the only way to play as especially away from home, it hasn't particularly worked as well as at home.