Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 725165 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #3025 on: June 04, 2019, 11:06:31 AM »
That Kind of common sense talk is not welcome around these parts!

You make very good points and i tend to be swaying towards Hughton based on what you are saying here.
Careful what you wish for.
There is another "more experienced", "conservative" manager lurking in the shadows. :o

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3026 on: June 04, 2019, 11:12:54 AM »
Let's hope we appoint a manager for his ability as a manager and not to prove a point to Durham.
We appointed Moore not because of his experience or ability. or even because he was cheap and available, we appointed him to stop the likes of Jason Roberts, Ian Wright and Sol Campbell accusing us of being racist after a string of great results. Results though that caught top teams out because they believed we were dead and buried and given up the ghost.
We all knew the pressure and expectancy of the fans and the board would prove too much for such a novice, but we did it to appease the above, who accused us of being racist anyway when we sacked him because he wasn't up to the job.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3027 on: June 04, 2019, 11:45:27 AM »
So well after Dowlingfs initial time scale for an appointment we are still to talk to some of the people said to be front runners for the job !!?? This board have had since DM"s sacking to have prep done shortlists ready , only need to add those who become available later on. Due diligence ? NO ,incompetence ? YES. Grave doubts as to whether this board could run a bath let alone a professional football club !!

The nonsense is that by adding people as they become available in an environment with as high a churn rate as football means you never conclude the process.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3028 on: June 04, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »
Matt Wilson just put up a new article saying Labbaddia interest cooled but not due to wages. He also says Hughton too expensive and they are interested in 2 others not named.

All the gaffers from Warley FA Sunday League sat by the phones waiting.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3029 on: June 04, 2019, 12:48:41 PM »
Let's hope we appoint a manager for his ability as a manager and not to prove a point to Durham.
We appointed Moore not because of his experience or ability. or even because he was cheap and available, we appointed him to stop the likes of Jason Roberts, Ian Wright and Sol Campbell accusing us of being racist after a string of great results. Results though that caught top teams out because they believed we were dead and buried and given up the ghost.
We all knew the pressure and expectancy of the fans and the board would prove too much for such a novice, but we did it to appease the above, who accused us of being racist anyway when we sacked him because he wasn't up to the job.

I genuinely do not want to start an argument but find it very difficult to believe that these were the reasons we appointed DM. I fully accept the reasons we managed the good results though, and the fact he wasn't up to the job.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3030 on: June 04, 2019, 12:49:46 PM »
Bookies favourite Micky Melon has been ruled out of the running for the Swansea manager's job. Could the Tranmere manager - an ex Albion favourite - be heading our way? I doubt it. His contract runs until May 2021. I doubt if we'll pay compensation for a comparative novice.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3031 on: June 04, 2019, 01:10:17 PM »
This is all a bit of a farce now? I think we still would have made the play offs had we kept Moore. Had we bought in a highly financially incentivised experienced manager we may well have gone up.
The only crumb of comfort is that we rushed into Pardew and look what happened but we do make it so hard for ourselves. Dan Asworth would be my first call for advice had he not gone to the other Albion.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3032 on: June 04, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »
What a mystery this club is.  We seem to be able to fall in between all the models and perceived wisdom of the football world, The 'too late' sacking of Pardew and the 'too late' appointment of Moore's successor have cost us relegation and promotion in successive seasons.  (Or maybe Moore was sacked too early?)  The complete lack of the ability to made a fully rounded decision, ideally at the right time, in order to implement a strategy just continues to shock me. 

The fact that the head coach's role is still empty at this point is another poor decision.  They may appoint the right man, but will he have enought time, finances and resources to implement the changes they need to bring success? Whoever comes in needs to do a massive recruitment job, which needs to be strategically thought through and planned.  No doubt there will be more out goings (on top of the 11 we already need to replace).  Will the club, even, pay for new players while we're waiting for inevitable sales?  If we want the best prices we have to hold out until close to when the window closes, but we can't aford to wait that long for many replacements.

Jenkins USP was a safe pair of hands - so far he's cost Lai £100m for a relegation and a minimum total of £170m for a promotion.  OK, none of this was guaranteed, but, with every decision, he's made it as unlikely as possible.  (And I'm sure Lai must have endorsed his CEO's decisions, but the question marks must be getting bigger every time.)  Dowling is on thin ice too.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3033 on: June 04, 2019, 01:43:47 PM »
As I've said before, we are happy to give god awful players 50k a year, but wont put our hands in our pockets for a potentially good manager. Our board clearly don't rate managers as leaders. Heres a suggestion - Get rid of Dowling and Jenkins, and use the money on hiring a decent manager. Joke Club, Joke Board, Joke Owner - Back to the 1980's again !!! Bobby Gould anyone??

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3034 on: June 04, 2019, 01:55:30 PM »
Matt Wilson just put up a new article saying Labbaddia interest cooled but not due to wages. He also says Hughton too expensive and they are interested in 2 others not named.

Gary Hackett and his team are free having left Stourbridge!

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3035 on: June 04, 2019, 02:21:11 PM »

I think that there might be a little bit of truth in this but what was bad PR was to sack him when we were 4th in the league.  We're still getting flack for that.  The only good exit would have been to let Big Dave stay as manager until the end of the season.  From his inability to react to in-game situations and refusal to substitute tiring senior players I don't believe we would have gone up but you never know and let's face it we would probably be no worse off than we are now but smelling more of roses.  At least we could say that we gave him a fair crack and we could then move on without the reputation of a knee-jerk hire/fire club - which does tend to put prospective managers off.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3036 on: June 04, 2019, 02:21:57 PM »

My pal ash has just got his first management job at Worcester. He will get an interview way we're going

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3037 on: June 04, 2019, 02:32:35 PM »
One name usually mentioned who doesnt seem to of been this time is Derek McInnes.

He is usually linked with the job and it does seem from previous info he has been close and does want to manage us at some stage.

I think because he was a fans favourite (may be seen as somebody who can connect to the fans), he does have experience (ie - not Darren Moore, something which was held against him) and he has experienced good and bad spells in management (and seems to of learnt), he may be the type the board are looking for.

I dont think they will go with a foreign coach (Labbadia) and i dont think they will go with a relative novice (Cowley) and as proven as Hughton is i think his wage demands may be more than we want as he is a recent successful premier league manager (kept Brighton up and got to a FA Cup semi final) plus although a good steady appointment i dont he would be an exciting appointment to get fans onside again (we lost a lot of faith with the Darren Moore sacking and the lack of plan after)

I think McInnes (or that type) would be cheaper, hungrier and possibly initially have that instant bond to get fans back on side, he is still fairly young and he only has one blot on his CV which was his Bristol City spell (i know there was talk he got stitched up)

It would seem with Rangers re-emergence and Celtics domination that he has taken Aberdeen as far as he can and as stated above there always seems to be that talk of him coming here and his previous comments (not this time around) seem to recall suggesting he would want to manage here.

I am not saying i would want him and i dont know if he would be right for the job, personally i dont care if the coach is foreign or novice, just whoever is the best but i would be surprised if our board havent considered him.

I am not ITK or anything but i do know from talking to a senior member of the club end of last week they are fully aware of how p****d off the fan base is due to the manager situation the last few months and they know they have to get this appointment right. He couldnt give too much away but he did say the board believed the fans would be pleased with the appointment which made me think they have a clear target in mind, though that could just be the way i interpreted it.
I admire a lot of things about McInnes as a person and manager although a few have said the football isn't great , I'd certainly be behind him if he landed the job but wouldn't want to be sacking a popular ex player just like Moore.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3038 on: June 04, 2019, 02:52:47 PM »

In my opinion likely to rock up at Bromsgrove Sporting some time soon.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3039 on: June 04, 2019, 03:00:57 PM »

Coleman and Pearson

victor mature

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3040 on: June 04, 2019, 03:03:53 PM »
I hope you are joking about Coleman .Diabolical

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3041 on: June 04, 2019, 03:20:58 PM »
Chris bleedin Coleman ffs.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3042 on: June 04, 2019, 04:13:49 PM »
Chris bleedin Coleman ffs.

I second that. They'd better not!!!!!!!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3043 on: June 04, 2019, 04:19:51 PM »
Just waiting for the "highly regarded within the game" number 2 to enter the fray as we get nearer to the bottom of the barrel (we are not far off if Coleman is genuinely under consideration)
Perhaps they are waiting for England to lose before announcing, a-la Alan F Irvine.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3044 on: June 04, 2019, 04:27:29 PM »
Nixon saying anyone they want doesn’t fancy it.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3045 on: June 04, 2019, 04:41:49 PM »
Us the supporters have no choice who the manager is so, all this speculation is no good for your health, just relax, enjoy the summer and sit back and wait.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3046 on: June 04, 2019, 04:43:23 PM »
We must be perceived as the biggest joke in the Championship. If we want the best manager then we have got to stump up the cash. Failure to do so will see us slump even further. Come up with the money Mr Lai or you may regret not doing so.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3047 on: June 04, 2019, 04:46:16 PM »
This is where Moore's sacking will really do us in. It was such a outwardly harsh sacking anyone with a reputation to lose will take a wide berth.

Not to mention whoever comes in is going to need to buy half a new squad, and by the looks of things is not going to be given much in terms of fees or wages to do that. It's a job set up to fail really.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3048 on: June 04, 2019, 04:48:47 PM »
Nixon saying anyone they want doesn’t fancy it.

He actually said "Struggling to tempt anyone they want" & yet Matt Wilson, today, said that money is not an issue with Labaddia.

Matt described the situation as "spinning plates" which suggests that they have a number of options
Personally, I think they know they have to make an appointment soon, but at the moment Dowling, Jenkins & Lai are not quite on the same page on who to appoint.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3049 on: June 04, 2019, 04:54:25 PM »
He actually said "Struggling to tempt anyone they want" & yet Matt Wilson, today, said that money is not an issue with Labaddia.

Matt described the situation as "spinning plates" which suggests that they have a number of options
Personally, I think they know they have to make an appointment soon, but at the moment Dowling, Jenkins & Lai are not quite on the same page on who to appoint.

Only one of those three knows about football. So why appoint a sporting and technical director and not listen to him if your assertions are correct. Would Lai and Jenkins take advice from Dowling in their field of expertise? I doubt it
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.