Author Topic: Mikey Johnston joins on loan (Official!)  (Read 22043 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Mikey Johnston joins on loan (Official!)
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2024, 10:40:13 PM »
So glad this lad is doing well. Couldn’t believe the negativity on here from people who had never seen him play. Keep it up Mikey.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2024, 12:57:25 AM »
Great performance at Argyle with a goal and an assist .

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2024, 07:16:15 AM »
Fans are saying he does make the wrong decision on quite a few occasions, but he is lively/ dangerous enough to get away with it.

Decent short term loan so far.
Boing Boing

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2024, 07:51:31 AM »
Much better value than Samiento
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2024, 07:54:50 AM »
a couple of quotes from Celtic supporters

Just proof that the English Championship is an absolute tin pot league.

Look at time and space he had on the ball for the goal. You would never get that at Celtic. Again he's not a terrible player just not good enough or even the right fit for us.

All i can say is get your checkbook ready in the summer Mr Patel :)
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2024, 08:01:37 AM »
a couple of quotes from Celtic supporters

Just proof that the English Championship is an absolute tin pot league.

Look at time and space he had on the ball for the goal. You would never get that at Celtic. Again he's not a terrible player just not good enough or even the right fit for us.

All i can say is get your checkbook ready in the summer Mr Patel :)

Just shows how little Celtic fans understand about how poor their league is. All of the current top 6 in the Championship could win the SPL.

Celtic (and Rangers) are, at best, top end Championship standard the rest are league 1.

Imagine not being good enough for the 2nd placed team in a two horse race?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2024, 08:02:26 AM »
I’d be wondering if it’s time to shake the hand of Matty Phillips and say thank you and then step up Mikey Johnston.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2024, 08:30:16 AM »
Sign him permanently! Proper footballer in the true Albion tradition!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2024, 10:45:00 AM »
He looks like he actually enjoys playing, unlike some of our recent players.  If he was any better he wouldn't have arrived here (I know that's a cliche).

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2024, 10:51:41 AM »
I’d be wondering if it’s time to shake the hand of Matty Phillips and say thank you and then step up Mikey Johnston.

In my opinion, it is time to shake the hand of MP and say thank you regardless of replacements, now.

But MJ is certainly looking like the sort of winger we have been missing since Diangana was the brilliant loan player he was for us, as opposed to the dud we signed permanently.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2024, 11:51:57 AM »
In my opinion, it is time to shake the hand of MP and say thank you regardless of replacements, now.

But MJ is certainly looking like the sort of winger we have been missing since Diangana was the brilliant loan player he was for us, as opposed to the dud we signed permanently.
Diangana is one of the players I was thinking of who never really looks like he actually enjoys playing football

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2024, 12:42:38 PM »
Just shows how little Celtic fans understand about how poor their league is. All of the current top 6 in the Championship could win the SPL.

Celtic (and Rangers) are, at best, top end Championship standard the rest are league 1.

I think that is a stretch Hull. I have a friend through business who is a Rangers season ticket holder. He knows that neither they or Celtic would trouble the big guns in England but does believe they are mid-table premier league standard. The rest of the teams in that league are very poor though.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2024, 01:03:34 PM »

Agreed, i think Rangers/Celtic are at around Leicester/Leeds/Saints level at best.

Or PL relegation fodder in other terms

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2024, 01:26:14 PM »
Agreed, i think Rangers/Celtic are at around Leicester/Leeds/Saints level at best.

Or PL relegation fodder in other terms

yep. I know it'll never happen but if the Premier league did allow Celtic and Rangers to join they'd soon realise how poor they really are. There is no way they'd be anything other than in a relegation battle.
On the other hand neither Rangers or Celtic really want to join the premier league as they'd be giving away their autumn European games as well as winning no trophies.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2024, 03:19:39 PM »
I think it’s almost certain he will be in the championship next year. Don’t think it’ll be for us though as Celtic will want as much as they can get.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2024, 03:26:30 PM »
yep. I know it'll never happen but if the Premier league did allow Celtic and Rangers to join they'd soon realise how poor they really are. There is no way they'd be anything other than in a relegation battle.
On the other hand neither Rangers or Celtic really want to join the premier league as they'd be giving away their autumn European games as well as winning no trophies.

Would be the most pointless exercise ever for me

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2024, 03:52:05 PM »
I think it’s almost certain he will be in the championship next year. Don’t think it’ll be for us though as Celtic will want as much as they can get.
if the data is correct then Celtic don’t have much of a say in the matter, his contract is up in the Summer.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2024, 04:21:00 PM »
If his contract is up in the summer I would suggest we start talking to Mikey asap .

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2024, 04:28:00 PM »
Very happy for the guy to have had such a good start, considering his loan was arguably questionable. Hope he continues to shine and contributes as well as he has done so far. Well done mate.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2024, 04:37:54 PM »
I think Celtic fans have made up their mind about the player he can't win with them. If he does badly with us it is "I told you so" and if like last night he does well "the Championship is a Tinpot League"

For his career and possibly his sanity he needs to leave the goldfish bowl of Glasgow football. 

Should we try to sign him? That's a little trickier. The question mark about him has never been about talent that is obvious but around his decision making. Having watched his performances to date I can see what the Celtic fans are talking about, however it doesn't need to improve by much for him to be a really good player at this level or even higher.

With good coaching and regular competitive football I reckon the penny might drop and he could be a very worthwhile signing. We will know by the end of the season one way or another.

PS Checked he has two years left on his Celtic contract.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2024, 04:40:25 PM »
He signed a contract extension so is tied there until 2026 apparently, he won't be on a free.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2024, 08:36:14 AM »

Yes they would start off at a lower prem, upper championship level, but the crowds they both draw and the commercial advantages they have along with bigger TV funds, they would be top half of premier league within a few years.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2024, 11:35:44 AM »
Yes they would start off at a lower prem, upper championship level, but the crowds they both draw and the commercial advantages they have along with bigger TV funds, they would be top half of premier league within a few years.

if they managed to avoid relegation. They'd still be trophy less, not in Europe and just making up the numbers though. A far cry from where their fans think they'd be.

Onto Johnston.

I like Mikey Johnston he's similar to Fellows in that he's direct and likes to take a man on. His delivery isn't as good as Fellows but he's a lot better than many were anticipating.

I'm not sure I'd try to get him permanently though as I don't think he's premier league quality and that is ultimately where we are trying to be. A season long loan next season would be okay though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 11:39:46 AM by Hull Baggie »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2024, 12:03:51 PM »
Blimey, reading the Mikey Johnston thread is becoming like reading a thread about how West Bromwich Albion would be a serious threat to Celtic or Rangers in the race for the SPL title if we relocated north of Hadrian's Wall. Now while I'm all for a bit of Albion silverware the latter seems a bit drastic  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2024, 12:17:14 PM »
Blimey, reading the Mikey Johnston thread is becoming like reading a thread about how West Bromwich Albion would be a serious threat to Celtic or Rangers in the race for the SPL title if we relocated north of Hadrian's Wall. Now while I'm all for a bit of Albion silverware the latter seems a bit drastic  ;D .

Now I am quite a devout follower of WBA, there are limits,
Eating square sausages and wearing skirts is beyond the pale, lets hear no more of this sacrilege please.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!