Author Topic: Karlan Grant  (Read 287397 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Karlan Grant
« Reply #400 on: September 28, 2020, 12:54:14 PM »
A truly awful deal. Grant is a good player but 5 million to loan him for 12 months only to lose him should we go down in a division he would be handy in is a farce.

I don't see it as an awful deal at all in all honesty. Risky, yes of course but from a cash outlay perspective and a risk management one it makes sense to me. I do of course appreciate the gamble involved, hence my comment re risk.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #401 on: September 28, 2020, 01:03:58 PM »
Given our finances its the best deal we could hope for i think.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #402 on: September 28, 2020, 01:59:58 PM »
If he does I wouldn't like to be in your shoes Sunday  ;)
I know, I thought about that a bit too late  :-X

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #403 on: September 28, 2020, 07:05:59 PM »
Steve Madeley has just made a good point of even though we can sign Grant after next Monday's international deadline our other targets will not have that deadline if they are abroad.  So we need to get Grant done or another alternative by the end of next Monday.  If we don't get anyone in, Huddersfield's hand would then be stronger against any other domestic transfer options.
Surely any dealings after that window need to from us towards the championship rather than the other way round . I’m not sure we can sign anyone but we can loan out to the lover league.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #404 on: September 28, 2020, 07:13:52 PM »
I don’t agree it’s only bad if he does well and we go down. Even if he does ‘ok’ that probably justifies a value of £15m In this day and age given his age and the fact we are probably one of the divisions strugglers. 

So with that in mind, If we don’t think he’s capable of 7 goals, why are we bothering at all?

We should be getting a price based on relegation and pay a bonus if we survive or based on goals scored. They’ve had our pants down on the reported deal given they don’t even feel they can play him. They seem to win in every scenario.

AlbertaBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #405 on: September 28, 2020, 07:29:40 PM »
Hopefully we have negotiated the option to buy at 12m if he does well and we are relegated, we could then sell him on for a profit later. If not we are carrying all the risk, unless he flops.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #406 on: September 28, 2020, 08:19:16 PM »
Huddersfield Town's transfer stance on Karlan Grant amid claims of West Brom 'loan' deal agreed

Source: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-transfers-grant-huddersfield-19013465

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #407 on: September 28, 2020, 08:28:43 PM »
I think that Robinson proved against Chelsea that we are not so desperate as to need to break the bank for Grant when money is needed for a keeper or even a LB.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #408 on: September 28, 2020, 08:29:57 PM »
Huddersfield Town's transfer stance on Karlan Grant amid claims of West Brom 'loan' deal agreed

Source: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-transfers-grant-huddersfield-19013465

We'll ********* Huddersfield....they are desperate (like everyone else without a massive payout). We'll end up paying around 12+3 for him or some or some other talent. We really need another striker too. Jog on the peripheries and get quality in on a short term basis. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 09:36:55 AM by MarkW »

Galahad

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #409 on: September 29, 2020, 09:22:41 AM »

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #410 on: September 29, 2020, 10:05:54 AM »
Different insight here :-

http://www.terrierspirit.com/the-karlan-grant-to-west-brom-saga-a-huddersfield-town-fans-perspective/
I realise that it's only one person's view, but very interesting that he doesn't think that Grant is suited to playing the lone striker role.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #411 on: September 29, 2020, 12:07:31 PM »
I realise that it's only one person's view, but very interesting that he doesn't think that Grant is suited to playing the lone striker role.
Interesting to hear the Huddersfield Chairman on the radio this morning asking for the PL to help out the EFL and saying how hard times were. He is probably right but at least he can expect a cash injection soon.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #412 on: September 29, 2020, 12:16:43 PM »
Assuming we do manage to get him at the end of the window we aren't going to see him start until into November. He's not been playing so is going to need a while to get up to match fitness. 4 very winnable games in October. A new striker should have been in by now.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #413 on: September 29, 2020, 12:23:42 PM »
Assuming we do manage to get him at the end of the window we aren't going to see him start until into November. He's not been playing so is going to need a while to get up to match fitness. 4 very winnable games in October. A new striker should have been in by now.

No change there then with us, we always sign footballers not up to speed
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #414 on: September 29, 2020, 12:31:23 PM »
I would not be surprised to see another club turn their attention to him if they fail to land their targets.  If Sheffield United lose out to Palace on Brewster, for instance, might be an attractive alternative for them, the player, and if the deal is right, for Huddersfield. 

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #415 on: September 29, 2020, 12:38:17 PM »
I would not be surprised to see another club turn their attention to him if they fail to land their targets.  If Sheffield United lose out to Palace on Brewster, for instance, might be an attractive alternative for them, the player, and if the deal is right, for Huddersfield.

This is my worry. We are at the stage now we need it done.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #416 on: September 29, 2020, 12:51:25 PM »

It's not a shock to those who have been paying attention. I said it a while back and was shot down by Albion fans on here who thought they knew more than Huddersfield fans who've watched him every week for the last 18 months. He is a wide forward from all accounts, with his highlight reel suggesting as much. That is where Huddersfield quite often played him and it is why he is a big gamble for us. It might still work, if he is allowed to interchange with Robinson or Diangana throughout a game maybe, or if he develops that side of his game, but we need to adjust our expectations of him.
Boing Boing

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #417 on: September 29, 2020, 01:04:46 PM »
This is my worry. We are at the stage now we need it done.

The staggered windows won't help us IMO. Are we going to wait until after the 5th and put everything into getting Grant? If that fails then we only have limited domestic options i.e. a Deeney or Gray loan for example.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #418 on: September 29, 2020, 01:15:19 PM »
Personally, I think a logjam will be resolved in the days leading up to the closing of the transfer and loan windows.

And players of real quality will become available as there is no place for them in their clubs squad. They will be available at more realistic fees for a straight transfer deals and subsidised wages for loans deals, it's a matter of clubs in the "buying, loaning" markets holding their nerve, which is difficult with the pressure exerted by fans.

An £18 fee for Grant is way above the odds in my view and the loan deal, imo, would not be a good deal if the reported figures being banded about are correct for the loan period and then buying option fee.

From what I've read on here and from Huddersfield fans and the very few games I've seen him, Karlan sounds and looks like a younger version of Matt Phillips, but I would still take him if the fee were more realistic.

But to coin a well worn phrase "No deal is better than a bad deal."
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #419 on: September 29, 2020, 01:25:51 PM »
Phillips and Grant have very little in common.

Phillips best goalscoring season is 12 from 40 games all the way back to his Blackpool days. He's a winger who has been very occasionally used as an auxiliary striker (mainly by Scotland). Karlan Grant is a striker, one who plays off the the left at times but a striker nonetheless. His return of 19 goals last season is more than Phillips has scored in his Albion career (18).
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #420 on: September 29, 2020, 01:52:31 PM »
Phillips and Grant have very little in common.

Phillips best goalscoring season is 12 from 40 games all the way back to his Blackpool days. He's a winger who has been very occasionally used as an auxiliary striker (mainly by Scotland). Karlan Grant is a striker, one who plays off the the left at times but a striker nonetheless. His return of 19 goals last season is more than Phillips has scored in his Albion career (18).

Agreed and to add to this it's important to note that we need to improve not just the starting eleven but the squad. At the moment we have Robinson with HRK supporting, that's isn't good enough. Robinson and Grant, is much better.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #421 on: September 29, 2020, 02:19:14 PM »
From what the Terrier blog implied it looks like his hold up play and control is not much of an improvement on HRK's.  He can at least shoot but his preference to cut in from the left conflicts with Diangana and his preference to play with another striker conflicts with Bilic's favourite formation.

Why aren't we looking elsewhere?  Maybe we are , maybe it's a red herring to conceal our real target from the Vile.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #422 on: September 29, 2020, 02:41:45 PM »
IMO if got grant he opens up the possibility to go 4231 with the three being Diangana RW, Pereira CAM & Robinson LW but then leaves only 2 spaces for Gallagher, Krovi, Sawyers and Livermore to battle it out for. This would be very attacking.

Or 433 with a 3 of Gallagher, Krovi and Sawyers and a front 3 with Diangana LW, Pereira RW and Grant and Robinson battling it out to play up top.

Whatever system we choose, good players will miss out and that can only be a good thing as our bench options at the moment are not great.

Whatever system we choose now - the back 5 has got to go.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #423 on: September 29, 2020, 03:35:05 PM »
Interesting reading the Terrier fan blog about Grant. I confess I haven't seen a great deal of him, but interesting that the blog highlights 2 things.  Firstly, he's not particularly good at link up play. Is that important? Yes.  When you have Pereira, Krov, Dianga, Sawyers able to knock the ball around quickly, you need your striker to read into that and be part of it. Maybe to set up a reverse pass and create a shooting opportunity.

Secondly, he favours cutting in from the left flank with the ball and then shooting with his right foot. Having had a quick glance at his video, that's fairly obvious. Trouble is, every other opposing coach will have spotted that. That's why I think strikers like Watkins have far more to their game.  Also, if he wants to cut in from the left, where does Diangana play, and does that cramp Gibbs' style getting forward? Not saying Grant hasn't got some qualities, but not expecting him to set  the Prem league alight.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #424 on: September 29, 2020, 03:59:02 PM »
Thierry Henry was a winger when Arsenal signed, him. Just saying  ;) ;D