Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 668189 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2018, 10:28:23 AM »
Foster was...and still is...absolutely brilliant. I like Johnstone, but he's no Foster at this stage

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2018, 03:01:37 PM »
I wish people would stop trying to compare him to Foster. He has nowhere near his experience give him time to improve.

Completely agree, at this stage in his career you need to compare like for like. Foster has 10 years on his 25 years of age and he was understudy to Tomasz Kuszczak then!

I think Foster is a great keeper and it's a shame we could not keep hold of him. Great to see a relatively young keeper breaking through.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 03:03:20 PM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #127 on: December 25, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »
I think Foster is our greatest goalie since I've been watching Albion from 1962 and we've had some good ones.
I think Sam has the skills not the experience but that will come,I think he could get into the England team at some stage.
Foster under a cloud for me,but its his life.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2018, 08:08:29 PM »
Hoult in his prime was number 1 for me ahead of Osborne, Godden Miller and Foster..
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2018, 08:30:54 PM »
Hoult in his prime was number 1 for me ahead of Osborne, Godden Miller and Foster..
I'd put Osborne, Godden, Hoult and Miller in that order ahead of Foster. I have been trying to be nice as it's Christmas but I can't any longer! Johnstone is nowhere near any of the one's I have named and imo never will, he is well dodgy and at the moment I think he is a weak link i hope i am proved wrong but doubt it.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #130 on: December 25, 2018, 09:20:41 PM »
It’s fairly common to hear that Goalkeepers reach their prime later, but is that really true anymore?

A lot of the top keepers are well established by their mid twenties now.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #131 on: December 26, 2018, 07:44:05 AM »
Keepers are best judged when they are behind a settled defence and under sustained pressure, and in that scenario Foster was generally very good.
Sam came in behind an extremely dodgy back three and  a system that was alien to all. I think that he has become more settled and confident under the present set-up, and is clearly playing to instructions with regards to playing out, and taking time.
In the early part of the season he was in my opinion, less culpable than the central defenders, in some shambolic performances.
He will be fine
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2018, 11:36:53 PM »

You don't need rose tinted glasses. He's still playing at the top level and winning Watford points virtually single handedly.

My point is that there were times when people (wrongly), were saying he should be dropped.

Foster is still worthy of a place in Premier League team, no argument from me on that, but he has poorer periods as well. All keepers have fluctuating form to some extent.

As the post above says, he has come into a new team with a new defensive system and structure, when he has played behind a settled defence for a while, it will be fairer to judge him.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 11:40:52 PM by The Black Pearl »
Baggie in Southampton

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2018, 07:56:18 AM »

I thought he had a great game yesterday. Looked composed and his distribution was excellent.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2018, 08:08:07 AM »
Apart from the free kick he patted back out he had a good game yestersay.  He does seem a bit too keen to palm the ball into danger zones at times.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2018, 08:47:20 AM »
Wall didn't look setup right when they hit the post?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2018, 10:29:21 AM »

Surely because it hit the post, as opposed to going in the bottom corner, the wall was perfect?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2018, 11:10:32 AM »
Should of had three in wall and should be palming ball around the post or away from danger other than that not really tested.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2018, 11:15:33 AM »

Surely because it hit the post, as opposed to going in the bottom corner, the wall was perfect?
That did occur to me after I had posted!

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2018, 12:26:11 PM »

My group all agreed it was more down to luck than judgement and that we will take all the good luck going after the last few seasons
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2018, 12:49:02 PM »
The fact that we have had two back to back clean sheets will only help his confidence.
He will, hopefully, trust those in front of him and visa versa.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2018, 02:09:08 PM »

If it went wide ...same?
It hit the post because it wasn't Beckham or Ronaldo taking it
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2018, 03:25:45 PM »
If it went wide ...same?
It hit the post because it wasn't Beckham or Ronaldo taking it

Well no obviously not. But on the replays the ball is millimetres off hitting the left edge of the wall. It then hits the outside of the post. I'm not willing to criticise Johnstone for a perfectly acceptable wall on a free kick that didn't go in.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2018, 05:34:12 PM »

Well no obviously not. But on the replays the ball is millimetres off hitting the left edge of the wall. It then hits the outside of the post. I'm not willing to criticise Johnstone for a perfectly acceptable wall on a free kick that didn't go in.

The wall was in the wrong position and should been moved another yard to our keepers left to stop them being able to curl the ball around, so that was the goalkeepers fault. Either he shifts the wall a yard along or gets another body in the wall, either way he had to cut of the angle. I've no issue with his general level of performances, he's been decent. Hopefully a few clean sheets will help his confidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2018, 07:27:55 PM »
The wall was in the wrong position and should been moved another yard to our keepers left to stop them being able to curl the ball around, so that was the goalkeepers fault. Either he shifts the wall a yard along or gets another body in the wall, either way he had to cut of the angle. I've no issue with his general level of performances, he's been decent. Hopefully a few clean sheets will help his confidence.

Why? The post was covered by the wall, hence, no goal?

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2018, 08:35:57 PM »
Still not particularly convinced by him but as expected with the lads in front of him beginning to look more solid he seems to be improving.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #146 on: December 29, 2018, 12:13:48 PM »

Was set up perfectly as Sam could leave it to go for a goal kick after hitting the post. Should do that for all free kicks!

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2018, 09:18:48 PM »
Rooted to the spot for the entire phase of play leading up to the Sheff Wed goal today from the corner so was disappointed - made up for it though with 2 decent saves in the first half after that. Distribution was hit and miss still..

Still not convinced yet but he still has years in him to learn more as he goes a long, just wish he'd be a bit more commanding of his area!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 09:23:51 PM by Dan87uk »
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2018, 09:23:12 PM »
To me, he is just a shot stopper and no different to Myhill.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2019, 03:21:39 PM »
I forgot to mention this but did not anyone else think he was fouled for the mulgrew goal?