Author Topic: Harvey Barnes (recalled to Leicester)  (Read 164603 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Harvey Barnes Joins Albion on Loan
« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2018, 01:43:07 PM »
There is absolutely zero chance of us signing Harvey Barnes;

1. We won't pay the big amount it would cost. £20m+ in my opinion if he carries on his form, plus he's just signed new contract.

2. I doubt Leicester would sell him unless we offered absolutely stupid amount, Leicester fans already are calling for him to be recalled as they rate him more than Gray

3. He's a Leicester fan who wants to play for Leicester so I can't see him wanting to give that up to join us at all.

Enjoy him while he is here.

I agree with this. However, I do think that if we were to be promoted at the end of the season the club would find the money. Points 2 and 3 are more likely to stand in the way, and also he will be firmly on the radar of the larger clubs, so as you say we have zero chance of getting him.

I just hope that the club are planning ahead of a life without Harvey Barnes, and identifying long term suitable replacements. However this is the Albion we are talking about......

Incidentally, I saw on the BBC yesterday that Brighton are lining up a certain Dan Ashworth to be their new D of F.......I am sure he could source Harveys successor.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 03:17:19 PM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2018, 01:54:10 PM »

That's what I think. The top six clubs will be monitoring him for sure. One of them will take a chance on him and so they should the boy has immense talent.

Just enjoy him while we have him.

Not sure, Maddison ended up at Leicester, in our own experience Koumas went to Wigan and Dorrans was subject to only a lowball West Ham bid. This division is a big step down.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #227 on: September 20, 2018, 01:56:18 PM »

Not sure, Maddison ended up at Leicester, in our own experience Koumas went to Wigan and Dorrans was subject to only a lowball West Ham bid. This division is a big step down.

Dorrans wasn't in Barnes league. Koumas didn't have the dedication and Maddison isn't as good as Barnes just has that bit more experience.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #228 on: September 20, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »
There is absolutely zero chance of us signing Harvey Barnes;

1. We won't pay the big amount it would cost. £20m+ in my opinion if he carries on his form, plus he's just signed new contract.

2. I doubt Leicester would sell him unless we offered absolutely stupid amount, Leicester fans already are calling for him to be recalled as they rate him more than Gray

3. He's a Leicester fan who wants to play for Leicester so I can't see him wanting to give that up to join us at all.

Enjoy him while he is here.

That is something that worries me a bit at the moment. He is one of 2 of our most dangerous players at the moment along with Dwight Gayle, neither of them is our player.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »
I agree with this. However, I do think that if we were to be promoted at the end of the season the club would find the money. Points 2 and 3 are more likely to stand in the way, and also he will be firmly on the radar of the larger clubs, so as you say we have zero chance of getting him.

I just hope that the club are planning ahead of a life without Harvey Barnes, and identifying long term suitable replacements. However this is the Albion we are talking about......

Incidentally, I saw on the BBC yesterday that Brighton are lining up a certain Dan Ashworth to be their new D of F.......I am sure he could source Harveys successor.

I'm still not sure that being Leicester born & bred would stand in his way, especially if he couldn't get regular playing time there.

I'm sure I saw another post when Leicester recalled him from Barnsley last season, he only had a few minutes on the pitch. I think a regular first team slot for us in the Premier League could be attractive to him, especially if he had International aspirations.

I'm also sure I've seen the Dan Ashworth story before. Just can't see him going to Brighton. IMO he has unfinished business in the England set-up, & if he did go back into club football, it would be at a more fashionable club than Brighton.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Harvey Barnes (on loan from Leicester City)
« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2018, 04:17:52 PM »
Arnt we interviewing as well at the moment,get Dan back to his roots ASAP.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2018, 04:30:19 PM »

Hmmm. Not sure! He's the most naturally gifted footballer I've seen at the baggies since Koumas. Would love to see how he gets on in a rampant Liverpool team in full flow....as long as its not against us! ;D

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #232 on: September 20, 2018, 04:46:22 PM »

Dorrans wasn't in Barnes league. Koumas didn't have the dedication and Maddison isn't as good as Barnes just has that bit more experience.

I’m sorry I can’t agree with that. Dorrans was amazing all season when we went back up, to say Barnes is way better after seven or so games is in my opinion forgetting what an amazing season dorrans had.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #233 on: September 20, 2018, 06:56:41 PM »

Dorrans scored 13 and assisted 19 in the 09/10 season, it’s way too early to compare Barnes to Dorrans or Koumas. Koumas was one of the most talented players to play for us in recent times, if he’d got Barnes’ application he’d have played for whoever he wanted.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #234 on: September 20, 2018, 07:11:30 PM »

I’m sorry I can’t agree with that. Dorrans was amazing all season when we went back up, to say Barnes is way better after seven or so games is in my opinion forgetting what an amazing season dorrans had.
Agree, Dorrans carried us that season and was meant to be the next big thing; West Ham offered a derisory £6 million when we got promoted which would be the equivalent of around £12-15 million in todays market and we all laughed at it on here.

There's NO way of telling if a player can make the grade in the Premier League; teams are way better at defending, there's less time/space etc so it's all ifs and buts at the moment.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #235 on: September 20, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
Should be good for our youngsters having him around - he clearly has a very good attitude with no 'big time' element to him as far as we can see. Also mentions he watches certain players and how they train. He clearly wants to learn and realises that swanning around won't get you very far as a youngster these days.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #236 on: September 21, 2018, 07:48:11 AM »
looks like Leicester can recall him in JANUARY.
would be a huge loss to lose him.
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/955290832?-11200:789:3

Claude Puel says there is a possibility he could recall Harvey Barnes from his loan spell at West Brom when the transfer window reopens in January.
“We will see,” said Puel, when asked if he might recall Barnes again. “Of course I follow Barnes, I follow Filip Benkovic (on loan at Celtic) and everyone on loan. It is important to look at their performance. We will see what happens in January.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #237 on: September 21, 2018, 08:13:14 AM »
Can a player refuse to go back to their parent club?
 I would hope that Barnes would be seeking assurances from Leicester that he will be more involved in first team games if he was to be recalled, after the lack of game time he got last season coming back from Barnsley.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #238 on: September 21, 2018, 10:06:48 AM »
 I would hope that Barnes would be seeking assurances from Leicester that he will be more involved in first team games if he was to be recalled, after the lack of game time he got last season coming back from Barnsley.

Imagine being a kid and desperate to play for the Albion, when they say they want you back are you going to jump at the chance or think ‘I want to ask them a few questions first in case I just fancy staying at this other team that doesn’t really mean anything to me’

If Leicester want him back he will be straight back up there and FairPlay to him as he will be going to play for his boyhood club

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #239 on: September 21, 2018, 11:16:13 AM »
Imagine being a kid and desperate to play for the Albion, when they say they want you back are you going to jump at the chance or think ‘I want to ask them a few questions first in case I just fancy staying at this other team that doesn’t really mean anything to me’

If Leicester want him back he will be straight back up there and FairPlay to him as he will be going to play for his boyhood club

Really?

Quote from Claude Puel

“He wanted game-time to play and didn’t have the good focus with us. We will see in January and at the end of the season.”

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #240 on: September 21, 2018, 11:43:10 AM »
Beginning to sound like he be taken back in January to sit on their bench.

Imagine you are Leicester, and you can strengthen with potentially the player who has biggest star of the championship for the first half of the 18/19 season, and you can do it for very little cost. Why wouldn't they. 

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #241 on: September 21, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »
Beginning to sound like he be taken back in January to sit on their bench.

Imagine you are Leicester, and you can strengthen with potentially the player who has biggest star of the championship for the first half of the 18/19 season, and you can do it for very little cost. Why wouldn't they.

I don't know why they loaned him to us in the first place. He's better than Maddison and Albrighton all day long. Well I do - lack of experience.

If I were Albion I'd slap in a huge bid in January. Yes Leicester may well turn it down but you don't know until you try. I'd pay £25 million. If there's one player we should break the bank to get it's him.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #242 on: September 21, 2018, 12:08:45 PM »

I don't know why they loaned him to us in the first place. He's better than Maddison and Albrighton all day long. Well I do - lack of experience.

If I were Albion I'd slap in a huge bid in January. Yes Leicester may well turn it down but you don't know until you try. I'd pay £25 million. If there's one player we should break the bank to get it's him.

Totally agree. Most of our goals this season are attributable to him in some way. Sadly, I cant see it happening though.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #243 on: September 21, 2018, 12:12:26 PM »
This is an interesting set of stats about the player.

IMO he's having a "career best" spell with us at the moment

Ideally, I think I'd like to see how he goes over the season, but if another club makes a bid in January, I'd like to think we would compete.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=95981&season_id=150

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #244 on: September 21, 2018, 01:02:26 PM »
This is an interesting set of stats about the player.

IMO he's having a "career best" spell with us at the moment

Ideally, I think I'd like to see how he goes over the season, but if another club makes a bid in January, I'd like to think we would compete.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=95981&season_id=150

If it were a career best at 27 I think people would naturally be a lot more sceptical, but its an upward trajectory for a young player. 6 goals in 21 for MK dons two years ago. Then 5 goals in 23 for a Barnsley side struggling in the championship suggested he was capable of this in a better side at this level.

If he stays here and fit you'd have to back him to get 15. Even 20 doesn't seem impossible having seen him play which in itself from midfield seems crazy. 

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #245 on: September 21, 2018, 01:25:43 PM »

You assume that Leicester will actually play him though. My point was, he might prefer to stay until May at a club where is he definitely going to play every week to go to his team and hardly get any game time (as happened last season).

wbawill

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #246 on: September 22, 2018, 06:33:16 PM »

A player can't refuse to go back to their parent club - they have a contract with them that they must follow. However he could speak to Puel and persuade him to let him stay where he is for a bit longer. Hopefully that's what happens!

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #247 on: September 22, 2018, 06:42:38 PM »
I think again we’ll have to come to terms with the fact that he’s not ours and will be going back to his parent club. That is the reason players get loaned out at the end of the day

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2018, 06:47:08 PM »
What we need is Leicester to keep winning and Maddison to turn up then we'll have a chance ;D

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #249 on: September 22, 2018, 09:39:01 PM »

That's a pretty bold statement