Author Topic: Harvey Barnes (recalled to Leicester)  (Read 163267 times)

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

Re: Harvey Barnes Joins Albion on Loan
« Reply #200 on: September 19, 2018, 09:05:54 AM »
seemed like he was getting a bit of a kicking just before half time, I think he'll have to get used to that

There was an article in the paper (I believe it was E&S) where they had an interview with Harvey and he mentions the treatment he's been receiving and seems to take it as a compliment.

The kid is a talent, looks to create something at every opportunity, we win when he plays well. Add to that he has been close to snatching wins for us against Blue and Forest late on aswell. Hes involved in every game. Got a bright future ahead of him.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #201 on: September 19, 2018, 09:44:07 AM »
The boy is a class act. He makes running with the ball look very, very easy.

Teams will learn that if they cut the supply to him, as Blues did, then we will struggle. City made it an open game which meant we could play through him more - to good effect
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #202 on: September 19, 2018, 09:53:45 AM »
He looks excellent and also seems to have a really good attitude when he's getting kicked to the ground.  Doesn't roll around, just gets up, dusts himself off and has another go at them. 

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #203 on: September 19, 2018, 10:31:07 AM »

Teams will learn that if they cut the supply to him, as Blues did, then we will struggle. City made it an open game which meant we could play through him more - to good effect

The good bit now I feel is that, as seen yesterday we have the ability to pop him out left (if they do stop the supply to him) and introduce Wes who also looks tidy on the ball, so by doubling up on Barnes you will be leaving space for Hoolahan to exploit.

We have a lot of good options going forward.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #204 on: September 19, 2018, 10:32:05 AM »

We got the ball to him against Blues, he just didn't play very well. The difference between Friday and last night was his performance. At his age he'll have off days, but he looks a superb player when he's on it.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #205 on: September 19, 2018, 04:52:01 PM »
I think he's got what it takes to reach the very top level.... a real pity we're going to lose him sooner or later.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2018, 07:01:55 PM »

We got the ball to him against Blues, he just didn't play very well. The difference between Friday and last night was his performance. At his age he'll have off days, but he looks a superb player when he's on it.
Think Blues gave him a lot less time on the ball, zero at times. He looked at least one level up on everyone else last night, superb is the word.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2018, 07:03:46 PM »
We may well be looking back on another Lukaku type situation in a few years, but lets enjoy it while we can, he is a cut above.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2018, 02:18:28 AM »
Albion have to try to sign Barnes in January. He just signed a long term contract at Leicester but we have no one to fall back on if he returns to them. I know people will say try Burke, Leko etc, but he is a cut above most of our team. I would open the bank for this one.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2018, 05:28:22 AM »
Does he have a release contract clause,I wonder?

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2018, 08:24:45 AM »
Albion have to try to sign Barnes in January. He just signed a long term contract at Leicester but we have no one to fall back on if he returns to them. I know people will say try Burke, Leko etc, but he is a cut above most of our team. I would open the bank for this one.

Why would they sell?

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2018, 08:31:45 AM »

Think its  non starter. He's a big Leicester fan and im sure I read all his mates still have season tickets. He has just signed a big contract with them aswell, the only way he would be coming here is if we got promoted and Leicester said they didn't want him (which I cant see them doing).

Just enjoy him whilst we have him.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2018, 09:04:38 AM »
The lad's in great form at the moment, but IMO we shouldn't get carried away.

If he can sustain his form for the rest of the season & we win promotion to the Premier League, we should make a bid for him.

I would imagine that Leicester will want a decent price for Barnes, but we could argue that we have played a significant part in his development, & should reflect his transfer fee.

The fact that he is a Leicester lad & lives in Countesthorpe, wouldn't make a difference if Man U came in for him, so I doubt that it would for us.

IMO it's doable if we get promoted.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2018, 09:23:40 AM »

If he can sustain his form for the rest of the season & we win promotion to the Premier League, we should make a bid for him.

I would imagine that Leicester will want a decent price for Barnes, but we could argue that we have played a significant part in his development, & should reflect his transfer fee.

The fact that he is a Leicester lad & lives in Countesthorpe, wouldn't make a difference if Man U came in for him, so I doubt that it would for us.

Everyone is for sale at the right price. Unfortunately West Brom never offer the right price !!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2018, 10:44:33 AM »

There is a big difference between Man Utd going for any player over us.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2018, 11:49:59 AM »
There is a big difference between Man Utd going for any player over us.

Not in terms of his roots & where he lives there isn't. I just don't see his roots & where he lives being an issue in terms of him joining us.

If he continues to do well with us this season, he will form a bond with the players & the fans & I could see him wanting to play Premier League football with us.
If we don't get promoted, he will probably try his luck elsewhere.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2018, 12:03:15 PM »

I would imagine that Leicester will want a decent price for Barnes, but we could argue that we have played a significant part in his development, & should reflect his transfer fee..........

....... and if I were negotiating from Leicester's end I'd laugh that suggestion out of the door by saying 'the talent was already there as demonstrated by last season's loan to Barnsley, otherwise 'you' (Albion) wouldn't have wanted to sign him on loan in the first instance'.

'You're (Albion) giving him an opportunity to showcase his talents which he is currently doing with aplomb, but he turns twenty one in December and he's been with us since he was a kid, you (Albion) haven't developed anything. Cough up'.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2018, 12:21:25 PM »
Find it amusing that after years of penny pinching and offering below market value for players and patching up the squad with frees or giving new contracts to past it or injured players Jenkins or Lai are suddenly going to pay the 20 million plus and match wage offers to sign Barnes. I admire you’re blind faith but be real.... feel free to save this to show me next August ;)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2018, 12:23:15 PM »
....... and if I were negotiating from Leicester's end I'd laugh that suggestion out of the door by saying 'the talent was already there as demonstrated by last season's loan to Barnsley, otherwise 'you' (Albion) wouldn't have wanted to sign him on loan in the first instance'.

'You're (Albion) giving him an opportunity to showcase his talents which he is currently doing with aplomb, but he turns twenty one in December and he's been with us since he was a kid, you (Albion) haven't developed anything. Cough up'.

"Cough Up" is not in question, it's the price that needs to be negotiated, & even then, for me, it would be based on the whole period up to January, not just a few games.

I would also argue that we have developed him. He came here as a winger & we're using him as a number 10. From Harvey Barnes' own comments he has learned a lot already from Graeme Jones.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2018, 12:29:09 PM »
There is absolutely zero chance of us signing Harvey Barnes;

1. We won't pay the big amount it would cost. £20m+ in my opinion if he carries on his form, plus he's just signed new contract.

2. I doubt Leicester would sell him unless we offered absolutely stupid amount, Leicester fans already are calling for him to be recalled as they rate him more than Gray

3. He's a Leicester fan who wants to play for Leicester so I can't see him wanting to give that up to join us at all.

Enjoy him while he is here.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2018, 12:29:51 PM »
Find it amusing that after years of penny pinching and offering below market value for players and patching up the squad with frees or giving new contracts to past it or injured players Jenkins or Lai are suddenly going to pay the 20 million plus and match wage offers to sign Barnes. I admire you’re blind faith but be real.... feel free to save this to show me next August ;)

As a Premier League team, I can't see why we wouldn't. How much do you think we would have to pay for a similar player in the Prem?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2018, 12:31:06 PM »
"Cough Up" is not in question, it's the price that needs to be negotiated, & even then, for me, it would be based on the whole period up to January, not just a few games.

I would also argue that we have developed him. He came here as a winger & we're using him as a number 10. From Harvey Barnes' own comments he has learned a lot already from Graeme Jones.

Yes I know, and if I were negotiating from Leicester's position (as stated) I'd know all of the cards would be stacked in my favour, and as such your 'argument' would be completely null and void and would therefore fall on deaf ears.

'Cough up whatever I ask for and stop wasting my time Mr Jenkins (or whoever our Technical Director may or may not be at the time)'.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2018, 12:53:58 PM »
We need Leicester and particularly Demarai Gray and James Maddison to have outstanding seasons. That will give us a slim chance of picking Barnes up for between £25m and £30m on the proviso we've been promoted.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #223 on: September 20, 2018, 01:12:26 PM »
I bet the big clubs are tracking his form and potential by now...think he's bound to end up at Chelsea or somewhere similar pretty soon. Money talks.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #224 on: September 20, 2018, 01:21:23 PM »
I bet the big clubs are tracking his form and potential by now...think he's bound to end up at Chelsea or somewhere similar pretty soon. Money talks.

That's what I think. The top six clubs will be monitoring him for sure. One of them will take a chance on him and so they should the boy has immense talent.

Just enjoy him while we have him.