Author Topic: Sam Field Joins QPR  (Read 218294 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Sam Field
« Reply #550 on: April 22, 2019, 07:49:25 PM »
Good point Adder, considering thats his first game in the champo for a good while i'm actually more impressed. I mentioned on another thread i think he would be a good holding midfielder. He certainly has a role to play here in the squad.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #551 on: April 22, 2019, 11:17:28 PM »
I think he did okay today to be honest. He lacks that yard of pace that good midfielders have but held his own today.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #552 on: April 23, 2019, 08:41:43 AM »
I thought he played really well yesterday second half until he went off, definitely his best performance of the season and a reminder of what he can do.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #553 on: April 23, 2019, 12:01:15 PM »
General concensus seems to be that he was impressive yesterday, only one or two seem to dispute that.

Even Shan says he is getting rave reviews on him from around the club which begs the question why he isn't getting more of a chance as he never lets us down unlike others who make mistakes regularly and keep their places.

Makes you wonder at times if the club prefer selling youngsters on to get regular money coming in to keep the Academy going yet we waste so much money especially on wages bringing in players who are no better than the young kids we have.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #554 on: April 23, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »
The thing with Field is that he does seem to be a bit of a victim of expectation. Players in his position (holding midfielded) tend to blossom quite late anyway, but he seems to be a confidence player too. You can understand him being behind Barry or Brunt for the role; Barry has the experience and quality, Brunt the quality of pass. If he had a run of games, he might gain more confidence and start playing the ball forwards more, but as a young lad who doesn't want to disappoint anyone, he makes it a priority to keep possession. With a proper number 10 in front of him, it would probably work well - but we haven't got one.

It'll be interesting to see if he gets more game time next season - I would suspect only if we stay down.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #555 on: April 23, 2019, 01:04:37 PM »
If he could find more of a cutting edge to his game he'd be great. Just lakcs that forward ball. Alternatively he may be more suited to being a holding midfielder.

Even as a holding midfielder I think he's a bit slow to move the ball on.

There was also an away game, unfortunately I can't recall who against, where he played in the holding roll and hid from the ball a la Livermore. Your holding player needs to shown for it as often as possible.

There is some potential in there but there seems to have been little to no improvement in two years now.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #556 on: April 23, 2019, 01:59:47 PM »
Very good yesterday. Worked so hard given he was paired with Harper and tactics left us light in the centre

Won lots of tackles and found an Albion shirt (unlike a lot of our far more highly paid players).

He has impressed me this year - I think I saw him at QPR have a cracking game.

For me, he is the future midfield  holder for us. Can score goals (more reliable shooting than a lot of our midfield).

He is 20 and will get better and better. Just not sure what more he can do.

Hope he starts on Saturday and yes, to answer a question above, he could do a job versus villa. In my mind, I was thinking man mark Grealish...
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Xpresso

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #557 on: April 23, 2019, 02:19:15 PM »
It's hardy surprising we never get the best out of our youngsters when you see the abuse they get from some supporters. Talk about destroying a young player's confidence before he's even had a chance to get himself up to speed with first-team action.

I'm old enough to remember Tony Brown's first tentative top-flight games and to begin with he was far from impressive. He started his career as a striker, replacing two former greats who were feeling their age, Ronnie Allen and Derek Kevan. It was two or three seasons before we started to see him at his best.

Field is only 20, Harper only 19 – they're still boys, yet to develop the physique and stamina demanded of the modern game. They are far from the finished article yet both are good enough for England in their respective age groups. I would always back the judgement of international selectors over our crop of  social-media whiners and whingers. In my view both have the potential to develop into fine players once they've matured into adults. And the more game time they can get at this stage of their careers.

We're making too many mistakes with young players as it is, letting Tyler Roberts and Kemar Roofe, both of whom were never given much of a chance of first-team action. Both would have been valuable assets this season.

Clearly we won't have the money to replace all the senior players likely too move on at the end of this season, but we have some great youngsters coming through who will almost certainly be courted to Premier League teams. If they see the likes of Field and Harper getting dogs abuse on social media it's hardly likely to encourage them to want to stay at The Hawthorns.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #558 on: April 23, 2019, 03:18:49 PM »
The thing with Field is that he does seem to be a bit of a victim of expectation. Players in his position (holding midfielded) tend to blossom quite late anyway, but he seems to be a confidence player too. You can understand him being behind Barry or Brunt for the role; Barry has the experience and quality, Brunt the quality of pass. If he had a run of games, he might gain more confidence and start playing the ball forwards more, but as a young lad who doesn't want to disappoint anyone, he makes it a priority to keep possession. With a proper number 10 in front of him, it would probably work well - but we haven't got one.

It'll be interesting to see if he gets more game time next season - I would suspect only if we stay down.

I think Barry and Field are totally different types of players to Brunt. Brunt is not a central midfielder by any means and shouldn't be used especially as a holding one as he cannot tackle, he can pass but tackling has never been one of his strengths. If fit Barry should be the number 1 choice, he can tackle, he can pass and he has a calming influence that none of the others have, he doesn't flap, wave his arms around he  just gets on with it. He is the excellent choice for Field and Harper to learn from.

Next season if we fail to go up then we have to look at the likes of Field and if he's still here Harper and build the midfield around them and if we can persuade Johansen to join then those 3 should be the foundation for us as we can get a good few years out of them.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #559 on: April 23, 2019, 09:21:58 PM »
I find it really interesting that field and Harper are both under 21 years of age, can't say with any certainty if/when they will be in the team , which position they will be playing in etc...yet are afforded very little slack and when they are not brilliant....they are "poor","have had their head turned","will never be good enough"

In contrast there is a goalkeeper who I can count his good games this season on my thumbs and yet there seems to be an allowance of horrendous form and indecision...

Football eh ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #560 on: May 13, 2019, 07:01:23 PM »
Sam needs to be playing tomorrow.There is not a great deal between most of our midfielders. but Sam is also a SUPPORTER and will give his all. Some of our players do not convince me that they are doing so.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #561 on: May 13, 2019, 07:05:12 PM »
Yep, would like to see him given a chance tommorow. Not let us down when he has played. No more than any of the others anyway.

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #562 on: June 08, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »
Notice he was subbed on then subbed off for England u20s last night in their 2-1 defeat to chile? Anyone know if he was injured or just subbed tactically

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #563 on: June 08, 2019, 12:13:53 PM »
Wonder if he will play more next season with us being in the 2nd season of the Championship.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #564 on: June 08, 2019, 12:26:08 PM »
Notice he was subbed on then subbed off for England u20s last night in their 2-1 defeat to chile? Anyone know if he was injured or just subbed tactically

Tactical. He came on for the injured James.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #565 on: June 08, 2019, 12:32:23 PM »

Cheers mate , hope he becomes a big part of the team next season

Marcus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #566 on: June 08, 2019, 12:37:50 PM »
Think he'll be glad to get the Toulon Tournament out the way... Doesn't look like the England team are having a particularly good time of it out there. :(

As for Sam, surely he's got to form part of the spine of the team for next season. Or will that depend on whether Livermore is still about ? I know who I'd prefer playing week in week out.
Unspoilt By Progress

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #567 on: June 08, 2019, 12:44:10 PM »
Think he'll be glad to get the Toulon Tournament out the way... Doesn't look like the England team are having a particularly good time of it out there. :(

As for Sam, surely he's got to form part of the spine of the team for next season. Or will that depend on whether Livermore is still about ? I know who I'd prefer playing week in week out.

Neither?

They've had a very poor tournament in which Sam was dropped after the first game.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #568 on: June 08, 2019, 01:07:56 PM »

Neither?

They've had a very poor tournament in which Sam was dropped after the first game.

Completely agree

Hopefully we have a midfield brimming with overseas talent next year, probably depends who gets the job to see what direction we go.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #569 on: June 08, 2019, 01:51:55 PM »

Seems your anti Field agenda is wrong he, he went off injured

http://festival-foot-espoirs.com/festival/detail_rencontre.php?id=827

78 mins game suspended due to injury to Sam Field

80 mins Conor Gallagher replaces Sam Field because of injury

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #570 on: June 08, 2019, 01:55:25 PM »

Neither?

You do realise only 2 players kept their place after the first game ?

Nothing to do with being dropped, its standard in this tournament that the squad is used during the group games

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #571 on: June 08, 2019, 02:34:04 PM »
You do realise only 2 players kept their place after the first game ?

Nothing to do with being dropped, its standard in this tournament that the squad is used during the group games

I do realise that yes, however Sam wasn't rotated back in for the 3rd match until someone was injured in the 1st half. If you don't think he was dropped for the Portugal game why didn't he start the Mexico game?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #572 on: June 08, 2019, 03:40:44 PM »

I do realise that yes, however Sam wasn't rotated back in for the 3rd match until someone was injured in the 1st half. If you don't think he was dropped for the Portugal game why didn't he start the Mexico game?

I have no idea why some players were picked and others not picked, thats down to the staff for that team, i'm just not assuming anything either way as I don't have any agendas.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #573 on: June 10, 2019, 01:31:11 PM »
That age group doesn't have a particularly great team, so I don't think you can pinpoint Sam for being a poor player in it. No more than, say, Kyle Edwards.

Well Jacko can, but any reasonable person can't. ;D

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #574 on: June 10, 2019, 02:17:36 PM »
Just had a look, 24 pages in 3 years on not-so-young Sam, I reckon this season is make or break for him, either a regular at Xmas or on the cheerio list