Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 773431 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Anything England Football
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »
Dont know it in full but Roys pulled a beauty in not selecting the very much lazy over rated Ashley Young.
Nice one Roy, keep your mits off our Dan though
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:09:19 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19414544
John Terry has been included in Roy Hodgson's 24-man England squad for September's World Cup qualifiers against Moldova and Ukraine.

But Manchester United winger Ashley Young, who featured at Euro 2012 and in England's recent friendly against Italy, has been dropped.

Chelsea skipper Terry, 31, missed his side's 2-0 victory over Newcastle on Saturday with a neck injury.

But he is selected alongside team-mates Daniel Sturridge and Ryan Bertrand.

Sturridge, 22, and Bertrand, 23, both played against Italy and the former keeps his place as Wayne Rooney misses out as a result of the badly gashed thigh he suffered in Manchester United's 3-2 over Fulham.

Rooney's United team-mate Michael Carrick could make his first competitive appearance for England since he asked not to be considered for international duty last January, having not featured at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Also returning to the squad is Liverpool's Steven Gerrard, who missed the the Italy friendly.

Arsenal forward Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is also included, alongside his team-mate at the Emirates, Theo Walcott.

Jack Rodwell, who recently joined Manchester City in a £12m deal from Everton, has been left out.

Birmingham goalkeeper Jack Butland and Norwich's John Ruddy will be back-up to Manchester City's Joe Hart, meaning there is no place for Queens Park Rangers' Robert Green.

The road to Brazil 2014 begins at the Zimbru Stadium in Moldova on Friday 7 September before Hodgson's side are back in action at Wembley five days later against Ukraine.

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Sunderland), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Forwards: Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

JDWest_Brom

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 02:50:55 PM »
Why has Roy called up three left backs?
Izzy Brown? Yes he is!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 04:13:21 PM »
Out of the 4 strikers only 1 Defoe could be classed as a regular. Carroll is on his bike, Sturridge is in the wilderness and Welbeck will maybe get some time due to Rooneys injury.

Surprised Bent has not been called up as he is back playing regularly.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 04:37:44 PM »
Not a lot to get excited about....maybe Butland and OXc. We'll qualify Im sure but beyond that I dont see much success any time soon.

the rainbow turn east

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 04:46:08 PM »
Not a lot to get excited about....maybe Butland and OXc. We'll qualify Im sure but beyond that I dont see much success any time soon.

You must of missed Englands win against Italy where we were fantastic,
I think Hodgson now knows that 4-5-1 is the way to go.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 11:24:41 PM »
its a complex due to not having a left back at the albion!!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:31:01 PM »

You must of missed Englands win against Italy where we were fantastic,
I think Hodgson now knows that 4-5-1 is the way to go.

We were forever saying the same thing on here last season yet Roy persisted to go with his tried and trusted 442. I do, wonder how much of that was due to him not having Wayne Rooney to do the linking up job between the forwards and midfield.

It's pretty much the squad I expected, happy to see very good ball players in Michael Carrick and Tom Cleverley involved. Still think we just lack that quality upfront which other nations appear to have. I personally wouldn't have included John Terry. I would hope as a national side we are well past him.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Pseudo_Intel

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 08:46:47 PM »
Complaining on Talksportshyte at the moment about Hodgson and 4-4-2. Feel sorry for him. Getting constant derision from wannabes on the radio who say the formation and style would change everything and England would suddenly become world beaters.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 08:54:43 PM »
I dont think he will play a 442. More likely he will play a 4411 with somebody like Young as a forward. In months to come we might be asking for a 5 man midfield if Wilshere can come back again next to Carrick, Cleverley and maybe an attacking midfielder but at the moment Hodgson needs to do what I thinks is right - it worked against Italy a few weeks ago.
Boing Boing

DownInAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 10:03:32 PM »

think betrand may possibly be called up as a left winger?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »
Sure I've read Ashley Cole is injured so Baines will start with Bertrand as cover.

JDWest_Brom

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 08:58:11 AM »
It makes sense now Cole has pulled out, Roy probably already knew he was a doubt. Bertrand is never a winger. I could understand putting him on the left wing if we were playing Spain or somebody to do a job defensively. But against Moldova?
Izzy Brown? Yes he is!

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 09:44:03 AM »
It makes sense now Cole has pulled out, Roy probably already knew he was a doubt. Bertrand is never a winger. I could understand putting him on the left wing if we were playing Spain or somebody to do a job defensively. But against Moldova?

Roy likes to play with four fullbacks, two normal ones and two extra in front of them. He gets a bit anxious if the extra fullbacks cross the half way line too much.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 10:05:25 AM »
I dont think he will play a 442. More likely he will play a 4411 with somebody like Young as a forward. In months to come we might be asking for a 5 man midfield if Wilshere can come back again next to Carrick, Cleverley and maybe an attacking midfielder but at the moment Hodgson needs to do what I thinks is right - it worked against Italy a few weeks ago.

Not sure Young has made the squad has he?

blackcountryblues

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »

Agree that it seems a bit cautious but maybe Roy will instruct Bertrand to stay up the field in this game for future reference. Bertrand can be quite lively up front, he scored in the Community Shield against City. He could be quite a force for England in the future and the ideal long term replacement for Ashley Cole (no doubt RDMs happy about Bertrands progress too).

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 08:19:45 AM »
We should be looking to get six points from these 2 games.
Its funny my focus is fully with the Albion of late.I dont think i will be busting a gut getting to the telly for these games
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »
2-0 England
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 12:27:42 PM »
Great result for Roy. At least I'll still have someone to support after the US fails to qualify.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 06:31:19 PM »
Arent the US going to qualify then Quakes? I thought you just beat Mexico?
Boing Boing

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 10:31:32 PM »
Mexico was a "friendly." Lost 2-1 to Jamaica last night in the real thing. The US aren't out of it yet, but they haven't looked very good.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »
Not going to get carried away, it was a good win, pleased to see Defoe score, defence looked very solid.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 01:55:09 PM »
Sterling called up after one good game!! Adam Lallana and Jake Livermore have also been called up. I feel sorry for Nathan Dyer
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »
If Jake Livermore is an international player then so am I.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 02:23:04 PM »
Positive from Roy. We often moan as a nation that the youngsters need to be involved so it's nice to see that he's called up three youngsters who if they keep on the right tracks will probably feature for England regularly at some point. Don't expect them to play but it'll be a great learning curve for them. Although they'll have a taste of international football, just like Martin Kelly at the Euro's, they still need to adapt and improve their games at club level in order to become a consistent England international.