Author Topic: Salomon Rondon joins Dalian Yifang  (Read 1123397 times)

geoff

• WBA Coach

Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #675 on: January 10, 2016, 10:10:11 AM »
Looks better than brown but is that saying much, should be looking at players from stronger leagues looks like we got mugged again

Stronger YES but like bobby he may just need time to settle & remember he has collected a fair few air miles since his arrival here.
 ??? I would have liked to have seen how it would have worked out playing them both up front for a while.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #676 on: January 10, 2016, 10:17:23 AM »
People keep comparing him to Ideye but he was never given the minutes on the field that Rondon has and I think if we have him a second season chance he'd have more goals by now than Rondon and the two of them together could've forged a decent partnership IF supplied with chances.

Before he joined there was a Venezaulan (I think) who said he's a finisher, doesn't really play with his back to goal or make runs in behind. I personally don't think we've played to his strengths but the the way we've created more chances of late could give Rondon the chance to bury a few and hopefully build his confidence.

I don't know much about football outside of England but those who did were gobsmacked when we signed Salamon and I think we should give him more of a chance than Brown was given.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #677 on: January 10, 2016, 10:32:41 AM »
Starting to think our best striker at the club is Anichebe...

Rondon works very hard - I'd expect that from anyone - but I'm not seeing much else to jump and shout about

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #678 on: January 10, 2016, 10:36:04 AM »
The best striker at the club cintinues to be Berahino. His goal record proves it. Fir how ling though remains to be seen.
Twitter: @floydy1983

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #679 on: January 10, 2016, 10:51:37 AM »
We've got what we've got with Rondon.
I think we should stick with him for the rest of the season and hope this 'season of adjustment' lets him have a head start next season.
There's some players that need we need to stick with (Ron) and players that are past their sell by date (Ricky) either way we have to face facts and realise that for the amount we have to spend we will never be able to buy an Aguero off the shelf.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #680 on: January 10, 2016, 11:16:47 AM »
Don't see it at all with Rondon I'm afraid. Another big money flop for me, if we end up with him, Lambert and Sick Vic as our only options we're in for a struggle.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #681 on: January 10, 2016, 11:17:04 AM »
The positive and negative is his finishing!

I said previous i dont think settling in is the issue, he is having the chances, he just cant hit a barn door (at the moment) thats nothing to do with league change, climate, etc he is getting involved and having chances.

Ideye never really seemed to get into positions to score goals or do much so with him you could say he hasnt settled, so the positive is Rondon is at least doing that, i think at the moment he would be described as a 'handful' but his finishing is awful.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #682 on: January 10, 2016, 11:44:29 AM »
Don't see it at all with Rondon I'm afraid. Another big money flop for me, if we end up with him, Lambert and Sick Vic as our only options we're in for a struggle.

We've relied on Rondon all season and we've done very well.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #683 on: January 10, 2016, 01:23:23 PM »
Starting to think our best striker at the club is Anichebe...

Rondon works very hard - I'd expect that from anyone - but I'm not seeing much else to jump and shout about

How worrying is that. :D

Seriously I don't rate Anichebe at all but his performance v Newcastle was excellent, far superior to anything Rondon has produced this season. Even a half arsed Berahino is a cut above anything else we have. Rondon looks a bit of a carthorse most of the time. Works hard, unsettles defenders but never looks like scoring. Interesting his goalscoring ratio was almost identical to that of Ideye. Are they not suited to this country or are they not suited to us? Time will tell but I don't think Rondon will be here in 18 months time.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #684 on: January 10, 2016, 02:52:09 PM »
I disagree with everyone knocking Rondon.  He needs somebody with pace/decent finisher playing up with him.  Which isn't Lambert, isn't Anichebe and is unlikely to be Berahino.  Rondon can be a handful for any back four to handle but not if he is played on his own with no decent support.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #685 on: January 11, 2016, 09:55:23 PM »
he really needs to be putting chances away or at least testing the keeper,the chance Morrison created for him v Bristol was relatively easy,as anyone else noticed but his workrate drops when we play 442,i reckon he watches lambert walking about and thinks sod this im not closing the keeper and defenders down

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #686 on: January 12, 2016, 08:35:48 AM »
I disagree with everyone knocking Rondon.  He needs somebody with pace/decent finisher playing up with him.  Which isn't Lambert, isn't Anichebe and is unlikely to be Berahino.  Rondon can be a handful for any back four to handle but not if he is played on his own with no decent support.

People aren't in general moaning about his all round play it's more when he gets decent opportunities like Spurs, Liverpool and again on Saturday he completely misses the target, at worst the keeper should have to make a save to he doesn't even hit the target. Someone playing up front with him isn't going to improve his inability to hit the target from 6 - 12 yards.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #687 on: January 12, 2016, 08:59:41 AM »
I disagree with everyone knocking Rondon.  He needs somebody with pace/decent finisher playing up with him. Which isn't Lambert, isn't Anichebe and is unlikely to be Berahino.  Rondon can be a handful for any back four to handle but not if he is played on his own with no decent support.

That doesn't excuse his woeful finishing in front of goal when presented with one on one with keepers
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #688 on: January 12, 2016, 09:35:13 AM »
People aren't in general moaning about his all round play it's more when he gets decent opportunities like Spurs, Liverpool and again on Saturday he completely misses the target, at worst the keeper should have to make a save to he doesn't even hit the target. Someone playing up front with him isn't going to improve his inability to hit the target from 6 - 12 yards.

And West Ham which was possibly less than 6 yards out

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #689 on: January 12, 2016, 09:38:53 AM »
And West Ham which was possibly less than 6 yards out
that was saved though... hardly Kanu-esque.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #690 on: January 12, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
that was saved though... hardly Kanu-esque.

It was a good save but from where he was he shouldn't have given the keeper a chance

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #691 on: January 12, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »
Rondom now needs to stop being a 'hard luck story'
He has been here long enough now to be settled in
He hasn't put in a performance anywhere near big Vics (one and only) effort

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #692 on: January 12, 2016, 02:48:22 PM »
Rondom now needs to stop being a 'hard luck story'
He has been here long enough now to be settled in
He hasn't put in a performance anywhere near big Vics (one and only) effort

And herein lies the problem with fans expectations

Not many players do come to England and settle in their first season, for me you have to give a foreign player at least a season to settle in.

There are some players that have come here and settled instantly but id go as far as saying 75% need at least a full season before they show us what they really can do
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:51:56 PM by tommcneill »

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #693 on: January 12, 2016, 03:29:50 PM »

Not many players do come to England and settle in their first season, for me you have to give a foreign player at least a season to settle in.

There are some players that have come here and settled instantly but id go as far as saying 75% need at least a full season before they show us what they really can do

Have to agree with that. I don't know how many folks on he have tried going to live somewhere with a completely different climate and culture? I have, I spent sometime working as a volunteer in a hospital in Indonesia.

Believe me, there are a lot of ups and downs in mood before you finally begin to settle in. It's not just as simple as doing the same job in a different place. It really isn't and it can be very tough indeed for some people. It took me almost 12 months to feel comfortable, so like Tom says, cut him some slack, it's likely to be next year before he really shows.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #694 on: January 12, 2016, 03:33:43 PM »

I thought Drogba was massively overrated judging by his first season at Chelsea and I also remember singing to Benteke that he was a sh*t Emile Heskey not long after he first went to Villa. There are very few Odemwingie type players that seem to settle immediately.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:41:03 PM by B_H_Baggie »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #695 on: January 12, 2016, 03:37:15 PM »
I thought Drogba was massively overrated judging by his first season at Chelsea and I also remember signing to Benteke that he was a sh*t Emile Heskey not long after he first went to Villa. There are very few Odemwingie type players that seem to settle immediately.

I never knew that Benteke is deaf  :o
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #696 on: January 12, 2016, 03:41:27 PM »
That kind of error happens when posting off a phone  ;D

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #697 on: January 12, 2016, 03:44:13 PM »
That kind of error happens when posting off a phone  ;D

Sorry, it was a cheap shot, just made me laugh, no offence intended.
Albion Family !!!

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #698 on: January 12, 2016, 03:53:09 PM »
Let's all get on Rondons back now then shall we. The same old moaners always trying to encourage and back West Brom players. OK Rondon has missed 3 or 4 relatively easy (from the stands or the computer screen at least) chances. Those of us with enough WBA supporting history saw even The King and Bomber sometimes miss one or two they would normally expect to score. Every striker struggles at some time especially when they are not getting too many opportunities or have to run their gonads off trying to make things happen for the team.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #699 on: January 12, 2016, 03:57:37 PM »
I'd be more concerned if Rondon was not getting the chances, the goals will come.
Some strikers just seem to score in "batches" and then have periods when they struggle. It was ever thus!
Albion Family !!!