Author Topic: 11 May 2019 Aston Villa 2 Albion 1 (Play Off 1st Leg)  (Read 94467 times)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #500 on: May 11, 2019, 06:15:52 PM »
I thought we were quite unlucky really, particularly with the ref who screwed us big time.

Grealish dived, Holgate was fouled so that's a 2 penalty swing. Then Gayle got sent off which was soft considering.

Anyway, our weak bench also cost us - you can blame that on Harper for going AWOL and HRK who stupidly got sent off. An injury to Dawson just added to things...the fact Mears, Morrison and Montero where on the bench spoke volumes about our lack of depth.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #501 on: May 11, 2019, 06:16:41 PM »
Looking at the team and the bench it was obviously he was going with experience all day long hence mears coming on
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #502 on: May 11, 2019, 06:22:06 PM »
On Dean Smith winning the game through his substitutions. I think it more a case he got his starting team wrong. Think bench showed fallacy about our strong squad. Surprised too see both Montero and Murphy benching denying Adarabioyo to cover central defence .

Hegazi and Bartley did well and Gayle should have set up Murphy for a 1 on 1 with keeper at 1-0.

Our crowd cant be any quieter than there and may need mix it up a bit. COYB

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #503 on: May 11, 2019, 06:29:56 PM »
I thought we were quite unlucky really, particularly with the ref who screwed us big time.

Grealish dived, Holgate was fouled so that's a 2 penalty swing. Then Gayle got sent off which was soft considering.

Anyway, our weak bench also cost us - you can blame that on Harper for going AWOL and HRK who stupidly got sent off. An injury to Dawson just added to things...the fact Mears, Morrison and Montero where on the bench spoke volumes about our lack of depth.

What do you mean about Harper being AWOL?

Have you seen something?
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #504 on: May 11, 2019, 06:30:14 PM »
Sorry, but Johansen marked Grealish (a very good player, probably the best midfielder in the league) out of the game for 70 minutes, before tiring due to noone in there helping him. Grealish might've gone past him a couple of times, but obviously that happens occasionally during a match
Spot on mate. I imagine those who are criticising Johansen were watching on TV and not live. He was one of our best players although he did tire late on as did Rodriguez who also was good. I did not think anyone had a "bad" game except for the completely anonymous Brunt. Lets face it we are not very good and when we end up with Brunt and Morrison on the pitch together we look dreadful.
I have a horrible feeling that he will give a start to Mozza on Tuesday out of some misguided sentiment.I would appreciate it if someone can explain to me what Appleton and Reid have brought to the party please. What a bloody shambles
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #505 on: May 11, 2019, 06:32:51 PM »
Johansen was asked to do a job on Grealish. His man assisted the equaliser and won the penalty. Not sure how anyone can say he did well. Those are the facts.
A hundred times better than your mate Jacko, unbelievable
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #506 on: May 11, 2019, 06:36:17 PM »
I would appreciate it if someone can explain to me what Appleton and Reid have brought to the party please. What a bloody shambles

Nothing mate, token gesture at minimal cost from the board so that if it all goes tits up Jenkins can say he brought in support for Shan and Shan failed.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #507 on: May 11, 2019, 06:40:46 PM »
As you say..
Jenkins is just a finger pointer.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #508 on: May 11, 2019, 06:44:39 PM »
Yup, " i tried, it wasn't my fault, fire him instead"

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #509 on: May 11, 2019, 06:48:50 PM »
We need to invoke the same spirit and atmosphere that saw us through against the swans, when we were losing by the same scoreline.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #510 on: May 11, 2019, 06:56:43 PM »
would have settled for that scoreline before the game, now we know we need to win, so that makes it simpler in a way, come on you Baggies, I would love us to do this

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #511 on: May 11, 2019, 06:59:35 PM »
We are not out of this yet. What so much negativity? I would have taken that before the game. The big blow is no Gayle of course. Push Phillips up top for second leg

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #512 on: May 11, 2019, 07:36:39 PM »
 Watched the Gayle sending off a few times it's really harsh he seems to pull out Steer has made a right meal of it.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #513 on: May 11, 2019, 07:50:32 PM »
Both Gayles cards were soft. So that's disappointing.
Think we should have had a penalty for the push on Holgate.

Our bench was questionable today. No Tosin was criminal. Mears coming on didn't help us we lost our balance. Murphy is a bottler and has no desire shouldn't be near the team. I would rather us had Edwards on the bench or even given montero a go.

Only 1 goal in it and villa didn't look that good. Stupid tackle for the pen so besides a few pop shots one of which they scored from they seldom caused us trouble.

We're going in as underdogs missing our best player so we have nothing to lose and everything to gain. SOTV & COYB
O Albion we love you

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #514 on: May 11, 2019, 07:56:09 PM »
Our midfield was woeful today in my opinion and given the amount of ball they had, and then the pressure they put us under in the final 15 minutes I think a 1 goal deficit is quite good.

What is very concerning was our complete inability to compete and get on the ball.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #515 on: May 11, 2019, 08:11:23 PM »
What do you mean about Harper being AWOL?

Have you seen something?

He got off the team bus with the rest of the team today by all accounts so wasn't AWOL.

There was a tweet on twitter suggesting that a few of the youngsters were out on the pop last night but I'm not sure I believe it to be honest.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:17:35 PM by dangerman »

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #516 on: May 11, 2019, 08:53:53 PM »
Did anyone see a replay of how Dawson got injured? I never saw one.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

BlackCountryVilla

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #517 on: May 11, 2019, 09:27:16 PM »
Your tactics cost you today. Time wasting from the first half, not even trying to get a second goal and receiving a booking for time wasting after 60 minutes of the first leg is embarrassing. Laughable that you all call Grealish a cheat when you've got Gayle playing for you, karma was served there.

We actually tried to play football so the outcome was right. Beautiful justice that you're putting blame on the ref after the Rodriguez handball aswell. Up the Vile
Did you know we won the European Cup?

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #518 on: May 11, 2019, 09:41:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/TheBaggiesBible/status/1127243667943641090
retrospective ban for deceiving a match official? no didn't think so he's the EFL golden boy
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #519 on: May 11, 2019, 09:50:20 PM »
Your tactics cost you today. Time wasting from the first half, not even trying to get a second goal and receiving a booking for time wasting after 60 minutes of the first leg is embarrassing. Laughable that you all call Grealish a cheat when you've got Gayle playing for you, karma was served there.

We actually tried to play football so the outcome was right. Beautiful justice that you're putting blame on the ref after the Rodriguez handball aswell. Up the Vile

Jog on, Grealish is a cheat, he's a whiny, slimy, diving, whinging little toerag and yet he has the ability to not have to do any of it.

The ref was an absolute ballbag, missed a blatent pen for a two man shove on Holgate, booked Gayle for something that Taylor was doing and then booked Gayle again when you lot started  crying after he went near the keeper, he pulled out, even Billy big time Hendrie says ref got the 2 big decisions wrong.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #520 on: May 11, 2019, 09:54:17 PM »

To be honest mate, I've not got a lot of problems with referees & officials, but I do have a problem with inconsistency.

How come your player puts his hand in Gayles face & it's not a foul, but Gibbs does the same to your player & it is?

I have'nt got a problem with any of your goals, but I do have a problem with the ref homing in on Dwight Gale, the time wasting perhaps warranted a card, but the attempt to get the ball certainly didn't.

The ref was dreadful.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #521 on: May 11, 2019, 09:59:23 PM »
To be honest mate, I've not got a lot of problems with referees & officials, but I do have a problem with inconsistency.

How come your player puts his hand in Gayles face & it's not a foul, but Gibbs does the same to your player & it is?

I have'nt got a problem with any of your goals, but I do have a problem with the ref homing in on Dwight Gale, the time wasting perhaps warranted a card, but the attempt to get the ball certainly didn't.

The ref was dreadful.

There was no time wasting from Gayle, he was going to the touchline to take the throw, there is not rules to say he has to jog or run to it, he was going in the right direction and wasn't stopping for anything. Taylor took longer, ref stood there laughing, joke.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #522 on: May 11, 2019, 09:59:45 PM »

I agree about the time wasting, we've been doing it all season. Johnstone has been booked loads for it. Winds me up.

But the difference between Rodriguez and Grealish is that with the handball incident, he didn't thrust his hand out to try and score, it hit it and went in. But Grealish uses the fact that he's kicked a lot to buy free kicks and penalties. He doesn't need to, he's a superb player IMO. Today, JG was looking for that penalty and searched for the contact. That's why the FA are looking into it.

For me, the ref got just about every decision wrong today.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #523 on: May 11, 2019, 10:06:59 PM »
Gayle to get two match ban, cheating vile scum could get retrospect ban for deceiving git of ref for their pen apparently no contact???

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #524 on: May 11, 2019, 10:14:47 PM »
He dragged his trailing foot to get contact.
Reckless challenge though.
Was a penalty. :(