Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 446755 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1400 on: June 30, 2016, 11:08:04 PM »
I would suspect that TP has indicated his approval for the contract offer and then it would all be handled by Garlick and JP as that's more their patch.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1401 on: June 30, 2016, 11:11:06 PM »
People are reading into TP too much. If Morrison didn't like him, he'd have quit for Boro. He even spoke about running up Austrian mountains as a nod to Pulis.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1402 on: July 01, 2016, 07:07:51 AM »
Also interesting to hear that Mozza stayed after speaking to JP and being told that we were after quality players to push us up the league.  ;)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1403 on: July 01, 2016, 07:40:59 AM »
I always take everything that a player is quoted as saying on signing a contract with any club with a pinch of salt. Players are never going to say "frankly the club offered more money than anybody else or M'boro is a bit of a dump and the missus didn't fancy it" Their given reasons are a little contrived so trying to read anything into what they didn't say is stretching things. He signed so he must be happy enough with his lot at the Hawthorns.

I think the fact that the deal is only for two more years is a good move on the part of the club. I wouldn't want us to commit to him beyond that. I am assuming that he goes into the season as first choice attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 but as with everything else we will have to wait and see who else arrives.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1404 on: July 01, 2016, 04:32:50 PM »
Also interesting to hear that Mozza stayed after speaking to JP and being told that we were after quality players to push us up the league.  ;)

Like everybody else in the PL.

I will believe we sign quality players when I see it. Also we still have Pulis so it doesn't really matter if we have "better" players, they will still be regimented according to the rules of Pulisball.

Bigrob80

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1405 on: July 01, 2016, 05:28:44 PM »
I'm happy he has stayed even though I think we only see flashes of brilliance we do still see flashes and we need those in our midfield!
Am also pretty happy the club went with a 2 year contract as it basically says you have 2 years to perform or you out! Keeps him a bit more on his toes, so to speak.
Hopefully we end up with a class midfield and he can be used as fresh legs when we need him.
Here's hoping over the next few weeks😂👍🏻

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1406 on: July 02, 2016, 06:26:38 PM »
Very happy with this, fair play to the player aswell in a time of money grabbing players its nice to see a player that truly wants to be here, very happy here, has a great connection with the fans and still has plenty to offer.

Will join the 300+ club for us and will have spent 10 years at the club.

Cheers Mozza its made my day

It's fairly obvious that we offered him the most money. I said before if he was that good then bigger clubs would come calling. Middlesbro were the only real strong contender and I suspect that they couldn't afford him. He'd have moved like a shot if so.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1407 on: July 02, 2016, 06:36:58 PM »
It's fairly obvious that we offered him the most money. I said before if he was that good then bigger clubs would come calling. Middlesbro were the only real strong contender and I suspect that they couldn't afford him. He'd have moved like a shot if so.

If i read right what you are saying he's only signing for the money and not the club!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1408 on: July 02, 2016, 07:09:53 PM »

Totally agree, I think his heart has always been in Middlesbrough but if the reports of his agents demands were true then I bet he ain't getting what he wanted here either.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1409 on: July 02, 2016, 07:33:09 PM »
Totally agree, I think his heart has always been in Middlesbrough but if the reports of his agents demands were true then I bet he ain't getting what he wanted here either.

Im sure i read somewhere that he or his agents were asking for £70,000 a week :o.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1410 on: July 02, 2016, 10:45:32 PM »
Still the best player at the club.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1411 on: July 03, 2016, 12:02:15 AM »
Still the best player at the club.

If that's true, it's a sad reflection on the club, his assists and goals scored are not high enough to be "good" in my opinion. He's decent and not a let down, but a club who finish 11th, 10th, 8th, 17th, 13th, 14th should have a player better than Mozza.

For my money, Rondon is a better player easily.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1412 on: July 03, 2016, 10:42:05 AM »
He stayed as we gave him a deal, no one else was interested.
If he had the club at heart this would not be a discussion, basically he would have been out of contract in days, not weeks, not months when he signed.
Money is at his heart and another team paying him more and he would have gone and made a blah statement at another press conference.
As for being our best player that is not really true, he is a average player who can contibute but is no midfielder dominator and thats why transfer window after transfer window there have been no interest.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1413 on: July 03, 2016, 10:49:31 AM »
He stayed as we gave him a deal, no one else was interested.
If he had the club at heart this would not be a discussion, basically he would have been out of contract in days, not weeks, not months when he signed.
Money is at his heart and another team paying him more and he would have gone and made a blah statement at another press conference.
As for being our best player that is not really true, he is a average player who can contibute but is no midfielder dominator and thats why transfer window after transfer window there have been no interest.

Sorry mate but that's rubbish.  There's been "no interest" in him in previous transfer windows because he was still under contract with us and we weren't looking to sell him!

I agree that he's not our best player, but he's our best in his particular role, and one of our most creative players.   Am pleased he is staying, but there are other inferior players who we really should quickly offload, like Gardner and McClean.  And I wouldn't have given a new contract to Olsson.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1414 on: July 03, 2016, 11:50:24 AM »
Sorry mate but that's rubbish. There's been "no interest" in him in previous transfer windows because he was still under contract with us and we weren't looking to sell him!

I agree that he's not our best player, but he's our best in his particular role, and one of our most creative players.   Am pleased he is staying, but there are other inferior players who we really should quickly offload, like Gardner and McClean.  And I wouldn't have given a new contract to Olsson.

I disagree. Every one of our players is 'for sale' at the right price. Berahino is a perfect example. How come the likes of Southampton and Swansea have sold players over the last couple of years for big sums? Perhaps it's because those players have been good ones. Our fans go on about the likes of Brunt and Morrison as some kind of world beaters. They are very average which is why they play for us and no one better. Berahino aside the only real player of quality we have IMO is Evans and it won't be long before bigger teams come sniffing.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1415 on: July 04, 2016, 09:13:36 AM »
Southampton and the like buy potential, they see beyond a season or to, they make money off their investmants, we buy then either make a loss, or have to give them away due to their old age. No revenue gained to invest, dead money, stagnation.
Hence our squads average age.
I agree with Brunty and Mozza average players no one would buy and the next time their contracts are up they will walk, squad players who have no real value, but that does not mean they have not contributed.
Ambition? 
Lacking for years!   

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1416 on: September 01, 2016, 02:08:49 AM »
The big question is...what did JP say to Jimmy to make him sign an extension?

kendover

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1417 on: September 01, 2016, 03:04:44 AM »
Probably same as he told Chadli

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1418 on: September 01, 2016, 08:35:50 AM »
Just read that Morrison wanted to leave yesterday for Celtic but the club blocked the move.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1419 on: September 01, 2016, 09:35:32 AM »
Just read that Morrison wanted to leave yesterday for Celtic but the club blocked the move.

I read that too, possibly Camacho was meant to come in and Morrison out...not the craziest idea in the world?

That said, I think Mozza is more than professional enough to continue this season and won't moan. It's pretty important he returns now due to our lack of players. The issue with him is that historically he struggles with injuries and they often linger for longer than expected.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1420 on: September 01, 2016, 09:41:56 AM »
I read that too, possibly Camacho was meant to come in and Morrison out...not the craziest idea in the world?

That said, I think Mozza is more than professional enough to continue this season and won't moan. It's pretty important he returns now due to our lack of players. The issue with him is that historically he struggles with injuries and they often linger for longer than expected.
I think he is a bit stale as well as injury prone. He shouldn't really have been offered a new contract and shouldn't have signed it imo. He needs a new challenge at this stage of his career and it's easy to see the allure of Celtic. Don't think we will ever see an on song Morrison for us again

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1421 on: September 01, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »
Feel sorry for Morrison. Shanghaied (is that a pun) into a new deal on the promise of investment from this takeover. Probably.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1422 on: September 01, 2016, 03:07:50 PM »
Feel sorry for Morrison. Shanghaied (is that a pun) into a new deal on the promise of investment from this takeover. Probably.

and denied a move to Celtic and Champions League football to boot at the last minute
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1423 on: September 01, 2016, 03:09:29 PM »
and denied a move to Celtic and Champions League football to boot at the last minute

Pretty despicable from the club really.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1424 on: September 01, 2016, 03:10:16 PM »

I dont feel sorry for him at all, hes old enough and wise enough to know how football works, and hes been at this club long enough to know how we work as a club, he will have seen first hand the situation with Saido, so if he was eyeing up a move he shouldnt have signed the deal, simple as that.