Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 444158 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1375 on: June 30, 2016, 07:20:34 AM »
Official site now - signed new contract.

Great news! Can see him being more of a utility player over the next two years but I'd rather see him start in the middle if we're 442 next to Yacob or Fletcher as he offers more I feel. If we buy two new wingers and go 4232 I wouldn't be against him being the number 10.

Fantastic that he'll make a testimonial year and I love the reasons he gave for staying.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1376 on: June 30, 2016, 08:14:06 AM »
http://www.wba.co.uk//news/article/2016-17/james-morrison-contract-west-brom-albion-premier-league-3148507.aspx?site=desktop

Morrison has made 278 appearances in nine years at Albion
LONG-SERVING Albion midfielder James Morrison has put pen to paper on a new contract at The Hawthorns.

The Scotland international, who joined the Baggies in August 2007, has signed a two-year deal which includes a further one-year option in the club's favour.

Morrison's contract had been set to expire on July 1 but will now run until at least the summer of 2018.

•
•
•

Securing the 30-year-old's future, amid interest from rival teams, represents an important step as the club continue preparations for a seventh successive Premier League campaign in 2016/17.

The fans' favourite spent a frustrating spell on the sidelines over the second half of last season having sustained a ruptured hamstring in the 2-2 draw against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in mid-January.

And it was the premature end to the season which had a major bearing on his thinking as he weighed up his options.

"I was aware of the speculation and some of the stories were true," said Morrison.

"I had a good sit down and think about it - did I need a new challenge? What more could I do with the Club?

"I spoke with my family, the Chairman, Richard Garlick and they told me their vision about where we go from here and I also thought about the end of last season. I didn't like the way I went out - walking around the pitch and then out the door.

"I had worked too hard for it to finish like that. Now I hope that we can push the club on again because we all have to accept that since finishing eighth we haven't done as well as we wanted to."

Head Coach Tony Pulis said:"It was inevitable that James would consider his options at the end of his contract but we're delighted that he as decided to sign back up with Albion.

"He will be keen to prove his worth this season and we are sure he has a big contribution to make."

Morrison arrived from Middlesbrough and enjoyed a memorable maiden year, clinching the 2007/08 Championship title and reaching an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley.

Relegation followed in the subsequent season before Morrison helped Albion once again seal promotion from the second tier back among England's elite.

He has since been an ever-present and consistent figure in the club's six successive Premier League campaigns and will now bid to become the newest member of the '300 club' after Chris Brunt reached the landmark last term.

Morrison has so far made 278 career appearances for Albion, scoring 33 goals

He/him

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1377 on: June 30, 2016, 08:17:12 AM »
like signing a new player, welcome back Jimmy
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1378 on: June 30, 2016, 08:53:44 AM »
Good news. 

Had a feeling we would have some news today, as he would be a free agent tomorrow and wouldn't be getting a salary !

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1379 on: June 30, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »
I for one am really pleased with this news. Think we definitely missed him back end of last season
Don't call me Walt

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1380 on: June 30, 2016, 09:27:38 AM »
Great news, now let's push on!

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1381 on: June 30, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »
This news doesn't excite me I'm afraid. Morrison is being put on an unwarranted (IMO) pedestal by some, but I think his heightened stock is because of the deficiencies of others at the club.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1382 on: June 30, 2016, 11:09:35 AM »
it's good that he's decided to stay because I really don't trust us to replace him if he'd gone.

our track record with transfers is frankly embarrassing at the moment

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1383 on: June 30, 2016, 11:18:30 AM »
Fantastic signing, badly underrated by some of our support.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1384 on: June 30, 2016, 12:02:22 PM »
Glad to see him sign a new contract with us  :D

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1385 on: June 30, 2016, 12:09:16 PM »
Fantastic signing, badly underrated by some of our support.

I find it hard to believe some of our supporters lack of appreciation for Mozza. When played in his favoured position, he is a top player for us. It's no coincidence that since Pulis utilised him centrally rather than as a winger under previous managers, we see the best of him.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1386 on: June 30, 2016, 12:19:50 PM »
Very happy with this, fair play to the player aswell in a time of money grabbing players its nice to see a player that truly wants to be here, very happy here, has a great connection with the fans and still has plenty to offer.

Will join the 300+ club for us and will have spent 10 years at the club.

Cheers Mozza its made my day

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1387 on: June 30, 2016, 12:21:02 PM »
Hopefully like a new signing if he's at full fitness
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1388 on: June 30, 2016, 12:51:35 PM »
Fantastic news. Although it doesn't have the excitement of a new signing I imagine this could be the biggest signing for us of the summer in terms of importance. He's consistently been one of our best players over the years. Hopefully he is fully fit by the new season as we missed him.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1389 on: June 30, 2016, 01:03:22 PM »
Chuffed to bits with this news.  Mozza has been great for us and is still among our best players.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1390 on: June 30, 2016, 01:20:34 PM »
I find it hard to believe some of our supporters lack of appreciation for Mozza. When played in his favoured position, he is a top player for us. It's no coincidence that since Pulis utilised him centrally rather than as a winger under previous managers, we see the best of him.

I think spot on. Roy also played him centrally for a bit if you remember - which caused Garth Crooks to say if he carries in like this he'll be picked for England!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1391 on: June 30, 2016, 03:27:49 PM »
Him and Brunt are talking about a testimonial next summer:

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/west-brom-albion-james-morrison-chris-brunt-3161327.aspx

Mozza and Brunt to celebrate 10 years together at Albion

JAMES Morrison will discuss plans for a joint charity testimonial with Chris Brunt as the duo prepare to mark their 20-year allegiance with the Club.

The summer of 2017 will mark the 10th anniversary of the two players, once youth-team colleagues at Middlesbrough, arriving at The Hawthorns.

After signing a new deal this week, Mozza is now hoping to build on his 278 appearances and follow Brunt through the 300-barrier he broke last season.

And Morrison has revealed that a possible testimonial celebration next summer is a subject that came up during his talks with the Club about a new deal.

"At the moment, we have had a gentlemen's handshake on the idea and we will look at it in more detail further on," says Morrison.

"But not many players do that in this day and age and it would be nice to celebrate the moment for charity.

"I will have a chat with Brunty and see if he is up for it."

He/him

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1392 on: June 30, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »
Even if you don't rate either of them as great just now, I don't think you can underplay just how important either of these players have been in getting us to where we are as a premier league club today. Hopefully everybody will get behind the idea of a joint testimonial, lord knows we don't seem to see too many of them nowadays.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1393 on: June 30, 2016, 03:37:21 PM »
He is worth re-signing just because he slapped Bera after the Cardiff match.  :o

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1394 on: June 30, 2016, 03:45:36 PM »
Even if you don't rate either of them as great just now, I don't think you can underplay just how important either of these players have been in getting us to where we are as a premier league club today. Hopefully everybody will get behind the idea of a joint testimonial, lord knows we don't seem to see too many of them nowadays.
mozza is

http://mobile.wba.co.uk//news/article/2016-17/west-brom-albion-james-morrison-chris-brunt-3161327.aspx

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1395 on: June 30, 2016, 03:52:09 PM »
Happy with this. May not be 1st choice, but we could easily spend £5m on someone who turns out to be far worse.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1396 on: June 30, 2016, 08:26:51 PM »
If he is back up then fine, starter no.
Interesting that he spoke to family,garlick,chairman..and no mention of tone?

I think the takeover will bring new management
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1397 on: June 30, 2016, 08:59:29 PM »
Glad to hear this and 2 + 1 is a sensible length of contract.

Cleobury_WBA

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1398 on: June 30, 2016, 10:27:25 PM »
Really pleased with this news, we really missed him last season when he was injured.

Still one of the best players in our squad IMO.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1399 on: June 30, 2016, 10:31:09 PM »
No mention of TP, interesting.....
BOING BOING