Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 446815 times)

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1000 on: November 10, 2014, 10:13:39 PM »
Only two of the 5 were for fouls (same as Dorrans incidentally), the others for handball and unsporting behaviour.
See, if he hadn't made those two tackles he wouldn't be suspended ;D (Internet myth alert :-[)
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Jeb-Dog

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1001 on: November 11, 2014, 10:20:32 AM »
For me Morrison in his new position slows down the game too much. He dawdles on the ball on 90% of the time ends up passing sideways to backwards. Because of this he kills any counter attack dead he is involved in.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1002 on: November 11, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »
For me Morrison in his new position slows down the game too much. He dawdles on the ball on 90% of the time ends up passing sideways to backwards. Because of this he kills any counter attack dead he is involved in.
He doesn't look confident at all does he?
I thought he might kick on after the Tottenham game, but to be honest him and the whole midfield have only performed in fits and starts. I genuinely believe that there is no plan B as, whenever the other team has come out fighting, like Newcastle did, they don't react they just keep trying the same old tired routine.
We need leaders on the pitch who can react to a dodgy start and orchestrate change. Morrison used to be one of those who could drive the team on, but he doesn't seem to have the confidence anymore and, sadly, neither do any of the others.
Irvine needs to throw away the rule book sometimes and instil a bit of flexibility. Meticulous planning is all well and good when it works but, when it doesn't, you need to react and adapt.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1003 on: November 11, 2014, 01:04:30 PM »
Our midfield needed a complete overhaul in the summer as it is just too stale, one paced and predictable. Sadly it wasn't done which is why we are still having to make do with the old guard. I'd say our current crop is the poorest midfield we have had since being back in the top flight.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1004 on: November 11, 2014, 06:57:54 PM »
My opinion on JM is that if you look what he offers it speaks for itself.

Doesn't create enough
Doesn't score enough goals
Doesn't tackle enough

Not sure what he does offer to make him a starter?

This is not a knee jerk reaction I have always been open on here that I think he is Pub.
Gera, Gera, Gera

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1005 on: November 11, 2014, 07:04:46 PM »
At one stage a good couple years ago he was our best player alongside lukaku going forward and he was fantastic didn't look phased even against midfields of spurs and arsenal which speaks volumes however that has changed over time whether through the dressing room or just he's personal attitude but he shouldn't be starting at the moment, very inconsistent and probably plays one good game out of three if lucky.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1006 on: November 11, 2014, 07:28:53 PM »
At one stage a good couple years ago he was our best player alongside lukaku going forward and he was fantastic didn't look phased even against midfields of spurs and arsenal which speaks volumes however that has changed over time whether through the dressing room or just he's personal attitude but he shouldn't be starting at the moment, very inconsistent and probably plays one good game out of three if lucky.

JM was very good in the cam role for a while. Then teams started to get clued in and man marked him or made sure he didn't get the ball in certain situations. After that he simply didn't do enough. Mozza in one of three, four maybe five (Mozza, Dozza, Sess, maybe Ideye and Blanco, and possibly more) players whose best positions is cam yet they find themselves playing anywhere but there because we don't have enough starters in other positions... And this poor balance in the squad hasn't been addressed for a few years now.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1007 on: November 11, 2014, 07:57:05 PM »
has i said earlier when Gardener was missing on Sunday it showed Morrisons short falls in that position.
Dorrans has all but lost his form being dragged out wide.
Gardener the best signing we made in the summer along with lescott.
why not try 3 at the back and give us some width with our full backs, at least try it once, we have the centre backs and full backs to do it but not a brave enough coach I fear.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1008 on: November 11, 2014, 08:01:11 PM »
He doesn't look confident at all does he?
I thought he might kick on after the Tottenham game, but to be honest him and the whole midfield have only performed in fits and starts. I genuinely believe that there is no plan B as, whenever the other team has come out fighting, like Newcastle did, they don't react they just keep trying the same old tired routine.
We need leaders on the pitch who can react to a dodgy start and orchestrate change. Morrison used to be one of those who could drive the team on, but he doesn't seem to have the confidence anymore and, sadly, neither do any of the others.
Irvine needs to throw away the rule book sometimes and instil a bit of flexibility. Meticulous planning is all well and good when it works but, when it doesn't, you need to react and adapt.
Good points, agree with them all

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1009 on: November 11, 2014, 08:05:23 PM »
Don't know how much Premier league football you watch but nobody puts crunching tackles in anymore. Nobody tackles anymore and yesterday's referee allowed more tackling than most allow you to get away with.  There is a reason why Gardner was suspended,  he is the one most likely to put a challenge in.
Yacob
catermole
toure
shawcross
barton
nolan
terry
etc etc
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1010 on: November 11, 2014, 08:22:32 PM »
Yacob
catermole
toure
shawcross
barton
nolan
terry
etc etc

Think thats his point made really, look at their disciplinary record.

Baggie Boy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1011 on: November 11, 2014, 08:43:47 PM »
With respect mate nobody gives the ball away as much as Mulumbu , to be fair to Morrison i think he has played well this season and i think he was unlucky to have to deal with Sissoko where my choice would have been Yacob in that role rather than bringing Mulumbu back in the side.

I agree Mulumbu does but he also completes more forward passes and involves himself in the game more, Morrison for me is being used too deep. If he was deployed further forward like under Clarkes first season or Hodgson we may see an improvement. I do think Yacob would be better to deal for Sissoko, I agree there but I think it would mean that Anichebe should have been kept out for Sess as it gives us more mobility- Yacob isn't the quickest

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1012 on: November 12, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »

Doesn't create enough
Doesn't tackle enough

This is not a knee jerk reaction I have always been open on here that I think he is Pub.
totally agree, he was poor all last season and maybe should have been moved on this summer. our midfield needed refreshing in the transfer window yet we seem to have the same players we had years ago.

joeymayo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1013 on: November 12, 2014, 11:10:35 AM »

Doesn't create enough
Doesn't tackle enough

Same could be said for any of our midfielders at present mate.

joeymayo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1014 on: November 12, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »
totally agree, he was poor all last season and maybe should have been moved on this summer. our midfield needed refreshing in the transfer window yet we seem to have the same players we had years ago.

Its been refreshed but the new faces are not good enough to get in the team, if anything JM has been compromised by poorer midfielders around him and also playing deeper when its patently obvious he is the best central attacking midfielder at the club.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1015 on: November 12, 2014, 11:18:37 AM »
People talk about Mulumbu always giving the ball away - his pass completion was the best out of the midfield on Sunday.

He is however, awful at tackling. Only Morrison had a lower tackle success rate in our midfield
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1016 on: November 12, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »
Agree with many on here. I think we have to call time on Morrison. Great servant and put in some really good shifts, but in terms of what he actually adds unfortunately it's very little.

We are playing with a championship midfield and have showed no progression at all.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1017 on: November 12, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »
See I like Morrison but I think our midfield needs changing, it has been the same since the Championship seasons and its time it was updated.

He has the odd good game but he is still too lightweight for me.

I think Dorrans plays better in his position personally
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1018 on: November 12, 2014, 06:27:34 PM »
When he drives the midfield forward I think he is one of our better players. Playing as a deep lying playmaker he is quite frankly not as good as dorrans,brunt, Gardner etc. when he plays alongside Gardner I rate him as he can bring the ball forward.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1019 on: November 14, 2014, 07:04:48 PM »
Morrison not even in the squad tonight and dorrans takes place on the bench.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1020 on: November 14, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »
Morrison not even in the squad tonight and dorrans takes place on the bench.

He's ill.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1021 on: December 20, 2014, 04:58:58 PM »
Complete powderpuff. Fuming with him. Had a losers mentality today from start to finish. Slow and ponderous on the ball. Pathetic in the tackle. No assists, no goals, no defensive ability. Mulumbu has to play in the middle else teams have a free run at our back four. How can Alan Irvine - the master of detail not see that.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:13:43 PM by kris_boing »

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1022 on: December 20, 2014, 05:01:19 PM »
Morrison hasn't been that good for a long time. He's scored a few decent goals, but surely a player has to bring more than the odd goal.

Watch him new years day - he will be p*ssed as a newt running round like a lune. He's always drunk NYE with hangover NYD. A truly professional player.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:13:53 PM by kris_boing »

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1023 on: December 20, 2014, 05:11:36 PM »
Dorrans is exactly the same, and Gardner is a slight improvement on both, who to be fair has a shot on him which can create chances.

Whenever Dorrans and Morrison play, they both have to be at their best to get a result, otherwise we struggle big time. You can't expect to win games with arguably the worst central partnership in the league...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:14:05 PM by kris_boing »

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #1024 on: December 20, 2014, 05:18:06 PM »
Morrison for me typifies the problem with our midfield too inconsistant to have any confidence in what performances you are going to get.