Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 444148 times)

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #875 on: May 20, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »
Three matches with him playing? So that's something like sixty four other potential targets not including substitutes...not to worry, who cares? Valero has only a marginally better chance of playing for Albion than me next season!
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

up_the_baggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #876 on: May 20, 2013, 10:32:55 PM »
Didn't think he was off the pace at all on yesterday, I thought, apart from Lukaku, he was our main threat going forward.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #877 on: May 21, 2013, 06:21:06 AM »
Don't know why people are making an issue about his 'gestures to the crowd'
All I saw was him hold his arms up to the Brummie as if to say 'what do you want?'
Personally I rate him and hope we have him here next year. Looked a bid jaded second half of season but so have a few others.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #878 on: May 21, 2013, 09:32:49 AM »
All I saw was him hold his arms up to the Brummie as if to say 'what do you want?'

No need for it though is there? If he was getting abuse then fair enough. But it was a groan from the crowd.

Morrison for me has been poor since the turn of the year.

He had a spell last year where he was fantastic, but this year he has been below his best.

Hopefully we'll see him back to his best next season.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #879 on: May 21, 2013, 09:48:58 AM »
Personally I rate him and hope we have him here next year. Looked a bid jaded second half of season but so have a few others.

He's just in a poor run of form that started when every other player for us seemed to be going through it, he is a quality player and will no doubt be vital for us again next season.

I also agree about the gesture to the fans too. Compare that to Olsson and the couple of times he's made gestures to supporters, its a nothing incident.

joeymayo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #880 on: May 21, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »
Don't know what people want from Morrison, consistenly our best player over the past five years, yet open to severe (and I mean severe) criticism when he does not show sparkling form.
The whole team has not played well for months yet everyone wants to jump on someone or other, its a team game, either the whole team gets criticised or none.
And if you want me to name one player who really should be given a rest, or dropped, then that player is Olsson.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #881 on: May 21, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »
Don't know what people want from Morrison, consistenly our best player over the past five years, yet open to severe (and I mean severe) criticism when he does not show sparkling form.
The whole team has not played well for months yet everyone wants to jump on someone or other, its a team game, either the whole team gets criticised or none.
And if you want me to name one player who really should be given a rest, or dropped, then that player is Olsson.

I think that's a bit of a over reaction concerning the criticism Morrison has received over the last few months. Yes, the team has been overall poor over the second half of the season, with certain individuals receiving justifiable criticism. For example, Olsson has took a lot and rightfully so. He is one of few players who we expect to perform at the consistently high standards he has set over the last four years at the club. From the first 20/25 games of the season, Olsson's performances were no lower than a 7/8 out of 10.

Morrison is one of these players who we expect to perform due to the incredibly high standards we know he is more than capable of. He is an excellent player who, in his best position, can pick passes, find space and most importantly, chip in with 6/7 goals a season from midfield. However, in the second half of the season he has sometimes been put out on the wing, or a more regimented right midfield spot in a 4 4 2 that could contribute partly to his poor form. He has shown periods in the last 20 games where he has been too lightweight, gone missing in important games, with his assists and goals drying up significantly.

I think as one of our most important players and arguably our most technically gifted, the constructive criticism that has been dished in his direction is completely fair. Hopefully his form wil return come the start of next season.

kendo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #882 on: December 01, 2013, 10:25:33 AM »
Can anybody tell me how Morrison gets a game every week ? and have we give up on Dawson, he never gets a look in, has he ever played as a back ? and I bet Vydra wishes he never come to us. We were rubbish last night and to throw a 2 goal lead like we did against the Villa, keep it up lads and we will be in a relegation battle. I hope I am wrong. I remember I got slated for moaning about , when we signed Anelka.

maximus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #883 on: December 01, 2013, 11:09:21 AM »
Yesterday proved how ineffective Morrison is, I don't think his near our best 16 let alone 11. I'm assuming experience is the reason he gets the nod, But for me his not good enough to be in the team, Still again too lightweight for a midfielder, Runs down blind alleys and pass's in no mans land most of the time. Been a good servant too the club but for me we have better.

Pelsall_Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #884 on: December 01, 2013, 12:16:53 PM »
Can anybody tell me how Morrison gets a game every week ? and have we give up on Dawson, he never gets a look in, has he ever played as a back ? and I bet Vydra wishes he never come to us. We were rubbish last night and to throw a 2 goal lead like we did against the Villa, keep it up lads and we will be in a relegation battle. I hope I am wrong. I remember I got slated for moaning about , when we signed Anelka.

Morrison has been played mainly from the bench since we signed Sessegnon. His performance yesterday won't have convinced anyone that he should be starting.

Who would you suggest makes way for Dawson though, mate?

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #885 on: December 01, 2013, 12:28:56 PM »
In past seasons, Morrisons name would have been one of the first on my team sheet.
However, since our second half of the season slump last term he has generally been poor with some of his games like last night and Norwich away just appalling.
He looks stale and might need a new challenge (similar to Brunt and Dorrans?) - whats happened to his drive, energy and passing ability ?
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #886 on: December 03, 2013, 05:11:56 PM »
I like Morrison and on form is one of our best 5 performers IMO so I am going to stick up for him (albeit just a little), there is no way anyone can say anything but he has been poor, especially in the last two or so games but for me he is one of those players who really does take a few games to get into his stride, which for me is the reason he is performing so below par, coming off the bench for 20 mins here or there and only starting a handful of games this season (deeper than his usual role may I add) is not what he needs, the problem is how do we give him a run of games? well for me although sess is probably the player who can create something out of nothing his last couple of games he has been appalling, especially in the derby, now hopefully he can put that right at some point this week (2 games) or for me  let Morrison have a few games in a row.
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #887 on: December 03, 2013, 06:33:24 PM »
Morrison isn't a holding midfielder, his best position is just behind the front man. That's where all his best games have been played.
To play Mozza for Yacob and expect him to flourish is folly imp.

My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

liam-zuiverloon

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #888 on: December 03, 2013, 07:26:44 PM »
Morrison isn't a holding midfielder, his best position is just behind the front man. That's where all his best games have been played.
Completely agree, he is wasted as a DM needs to be getting in and around the box getting on the attack. I hope we set up to have a good go at City and play Yacob as our only Defensive midfielder.
Some people's spelling is hylaryous.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #889 on: December 03, 2013, 08:49:50 PM »

I agree 100% 

rajesh-wba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #890 on: December 03, 2013, 08:54:07 PM »
Completely agree, he is wasted as a DM needs to be getting in and around the box getting on the attack. I hope we set up to have a good go at City and play Yacob as our only Defensive midfielder.

I don't think he's asked to play a "DM" role. In my opinion, Yacob is the DM and Mulumbu is generally the box-to-box midfielder. I think Morrison will invariably have better games when played alongside Yacob - as he is very well disciplined. With regards his best position - it is most definitely the No.10 role. However he has had good games as the central player of a two in the 4-2-3-1 and alongside Mulumbu in a conventional 4-4-2 under Hodgson.

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #891 on: December 03, 2013, 10:42:35 PM »
I'd drop Sess tomorrow and play Mozza in the hole.

Bring sess off the bench if needs be.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #892 on: December 04, 2013, 12:27:55 AM »
I'd drop Sess tomorrow and play Mozza in the hole.

Bring sess off the bench if needs be.

Sess is better than Mozza, but we need to stop the hopeless hoofing to Long. We don't have a better attack than Berahino, Sess, Amfi and a top forward who can control the ball on the deck and bring in the other midfielders into the game. Long isn't that player and never will be. Long is the problem, not Sess.

How many good players are we going to ruin just to fit in Shane Long?

Morrison for me is back up to Sess and nothing else, we've seen in the pitiful Fulham debacle at home last season and now against Newcastle that Mozza is no cover for Yacob.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #893 on: December 04, 2013, 08:50:19 AM »
Sess is better than Mozza, but we need to stop the hopeless hoofing to Long. We don't have a better attack than Berahino, Sess, Amfi and a top forward who can control the ball on the deck and bring in the other midfielders into the game. Long isn't that player and never will be. Long is the problem, not Sess.

How many good players are we going to ruin just to fit in Shane Long?

Morrison for me is back up to Sess and nothing else, we've seen in the pitiful Fulham debacle at home last season and now against Newcastle that Mozza is no cover for Yacob.

This line of logic is getting ridiculous swap any other forward for Shane Long and we still would be going long if the midfielders were not showing for the ball or maintaining control of it for more than a couple of passes. A player known to be inconsistent has a couple of poor games and it is somehow it is Shane Long's fault or by proxy Clarke's for playing the one of the only two options he has available in the Centre Forward role. How about it being  Sessegnon's fault, that or accept he will blow hot and cold?

Returning to the matter in hand Morrison really only has one place where he is effective and that is in the hole behind a lone striker and at the moment he has been replaced by Sessegnon who has been poor for the last couple of games. Fortunately Morrison is ready made replacement and should be pushing Sessegnon for his place but otherwise I would not expect him to play much this season. He has neither the drive nor the physical presence for the Mulumbu role, is never a defensive midfielder in the Yacob mold and although when he joined us seemed he did well in a wide midfield role he has not been that effective when he has filled in there for us recently.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #894 on: December 04, 2013, 06:04:10 PM »
This line of logic is getting ridiculous swap any other forward for Shane Long and we still would be going long if the midfielders were not showing for the ball or maintaining control of it for more than a couple of passes. A player known to be inconsistent has a couple of poor games and it is somehow it is Shane Long's fault or by proxy Clarke's for playing the one of the only two options he has available in the Centre Forward role. How about it being  Sessegnon's fault, that or accept he will blow hot and cold?

Returning to the matter in hand Morrison really only has one place where he is effective and that is in the hole behind a lone striker and at the moment he has been replaced by Sessegnon who has been poor for the last couple of games. Fortunately Morrison is ready made replacement and should be pushing Sessegnon for his place but otherwise I would not expect him to play much this season. He has neither the drive nor the physical presence for the Mulumbu role, is never a defensive midfielder in the Yacob mold and although when he joined us seemed he did well in a wide midfield role he has not been that effective when he has filled in there for us recently.

Is it ridiculous because you don't agree with it? I suspect so. The common denominator when we play hoof ball is invariably a Republic of Ireland centre forward we acquired from Reading.

Morrison had a poor game but he is an accomplished Premier League midfielder and a vital member of the squad.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #895 on: December 05, 2013, 12:06:54 AM »
Is it ridiculous because you don't agree with it? I suspect so. The common denominator when we play hoof ball is invariably a Republic of Ireland centre forward we acquired from Reading.

Morrison had a poor game but he is an accomplished Premier League midfielder and a vital member of the squad.

The line that we go direct when Long is on the pitch is one thing but stretching that to give the rest of the team a free pass for their own ineptitude is stretching the point beyond credibility. If we don't have any sort of control in midfield we will go long regardless of who is up top.

Obviously playing any other Centre Forward would suddenly allow Morrision to rediscover the ability to find a team mate with some of his passes. Unfortunately we were not able test that hypotheses tonight because Morrision was subbed at about the same time that Anichebe came on for Long.   

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #896 on: December 05, 2013, 12:26:24 AM »
The line that we go direct when Long is on the pitch is one thing but stretching that to give the rest of the team a free pass for their own ineptitude is stretching the point beyond credibility. If we don't have any sort of control in midfield we will go long regardless of who is up top.

Obviously playing any other Centre Forward would suddenly allow Morrision to rediscover the ability to find a team mate with some of his passes. Unfortunately we were not able test that hypotheses tonight because Morrision was subbed at about the same time that Anichebe came on for Long.

It's simply a matter of cause and effect. When we hoof it to Long the consequence is that the midfield players don't receive the ball in situations where they can do much with it. Compare the Sessegnon of the game against United at Old Trafford and compare him in a game where he is straining his neck watching the ball fly around over his head all over the pitch and hardly touching it. What is Sess and the others supposed to do? Grow 10 foot necks to pick the ball out of the air?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #897 on: December 05, 2013, 09:24:06 AM »
It's simply a matter of cause and effect. When we hoof it to Long the consequence is that the midfield players don't receive the ball in situations where they can do much with it. Compare the Sessegnon of the game against United at Old Trafford and compare him in a game where he is straining his neck watching the ball fly around over his head all over the pitch and hardly touching it. What is Sess and the others supposed to do? Grow 10 foot necks to pick the ball out of the air?

All teams tend to go long when they have no control of the midfield and the player in possession has too few options for a shorter pass. The ball is flying over Sessegnon's head in part because at Newcastle he was not dropping deep to collect and Morrison was losing possession before the rest of the team had a chance to even show for a pass which on the rare occasions was forthcoming was misplaced. 

In the absence of the Mulumbu/Yacob combination our central midfield is as weak as water and we will end up going long because the alternative is an inevitable turnover of possession probably in our own half which is  the greater of two evils.   

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #898 on: March 04, 2014, 12:12:03 PM »
would rather be with Scotland than the Albion i read :(
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #899 on: March 04, 2014, 12:35:26 PM »
would rather be with Scotland than the Albion i read :(

I think it's a fair enough comment, he probably shouldn't have said it out loud, but if he was asked then fair enough.

The International will be a nice break if stuff "back at the office" is getting a bit muggy and a bit of a pain.

Hopefully with McD gone and Mel able to sit down with those who haven't gone out then some stability will return!
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input