Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 236786 times)

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #550 on: May 15, 2019, 06:44:35 PM »
I bet HRK was on his holidays telling all and sundry about his goal in the European championships.

If he wasn't fined 2 weeks wages for that red it says it all about our hierarchy.

HRK was driving down the expressway into Bham at 6:30 last night.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #551 on: May 15, 2019, 11:09:42 PM »
Tin hat time, but DG is turning 30 this year so spending in effect £15m on him is not viable imo long term and I have to hope we can get better value elsewhere on someone younger who has been scouted by LD and IP.

Rumours suggest others are interested in SR so hopefully someone like West ham, whose manager MP managed him at Malaga will fancy him.

I hope Rafa shafts Mike Ashley and leaves for Celtic as has been rumoured.

Gayle is currently 28 years old

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #552 on: May 15, 2019, 11:13:37 PM »
We have to move heaven and earth to sign Gayle, and get in another powerful striker to support him. J-Rod is a useful link player but doesn't do much from open play and HRK is a squad player. Hopefully Rondon's clause is taken and that £16m can fund Gayle and a bit more.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #553 on: May 15, 2019, 11:14:28 PM »
Gayle is currently 28 years old

His mother needs to update his wiki page then.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #554 on: May 15, 2019, 11:38:31 PM »
Aside from how good he was for us this season, it was great to see him watching the game last night and clearing caring.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #555 on: May 15, 2019, 11:53:38 PM »
Sell Rodriguez ,hegazi phillips 34m?

Keep Rondon (he’s more use to us than the 16m)
Sign Gayle 10m
Sign Bannan 3m
Resign Tosin on loan
Holgate on Loan
Tuenzabe on loan
Nick Powell on free

Johnstone
             Dawson.   Barkley.    Tosin/tuenzabe

Holgate.    Field.   Bannan. Livermore. Gibbs

Rondon.  Gayle

We walk the league ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #556 on: May 15, 2019, 11:53:49 PM »
Was Rondon there last night?

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #557 on: May 16, 2019, 12:22:43 AM »
Sell Rodriguez ,hegazi phillips 34m?

Keep Rondon (he’s more use to us than the 16m)
Sign Gayle 10m
Sign Bannan 3m
Resign Tosin on loan
Holgate on Loan
Tuenzabe on loan
Nick Powell on free

Johnstone
             Dawson.   Barkley.    Tosin/tuenzabe

Holgate.    Field.   Bannan. Livermore. Gibbs

Rondon.  Gayle

We walk the league ?

not sure selling those 3 guys nets you that much (average 11m per sale), and in that case (if I'm right) we wouldn't have the fund to buy Gayle outright. On the other hand, not selling Rondon and missing out on 15-20 million to let him go for free at the end of the season seems senseless. The best hope here is there's a bidding war between Newcastle/Everton/WHU that allows us to receive more than just the release clause of 16.5m (or in the case of a deal with NUFC, Gayle + some millions).

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #558 on: May 16, 2019, 02:05:04 AM »
HRK was driving down the expressway into Bham at 6:30 last night.

HRK pulled up to the hawthorns in the passenger seat of Livermores fancy Lamborghini at 6:30 last night  ;D

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #559 on: May 16, 2019, 03:44:34 AM »
not sure selling those 3 guys nets you that much (average 11m per sale), and in that case (if I'm right) we wouldn't have the fund to buy Gayle outright. On the other hand, not selling Rondon and missing out on 15-20 million to let him go for free at the end of the season seems senseless. The best hope here is there's a bidding war between Newcastle/Everton/WHU that allows us to receive more than just the release clause of 16.5m (or in the case of a deal with NUFC, Gayle + some millions).

Best case scenario is sell to Everton and get holgate on perm and niasse on loan plus £10-12m. They do tend to overpay (sigurdsson & tosin).

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #560 on: May 17, 2019, 06:43:45 AM »
Be surprised if we see Gayle here next season, I would imagine that a lower Premier League team would take a punt in him, the 3 promoted teams should definitely be interested.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #561 on: May 17, 2019, 07:35:57 AM »
Sheffield United apparently willing to break their transfer record to buy him

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #562 on: May 17, 2019, 08:19:58 AM »
HRK pulled up to the hawthorns in the passenger seat of Livermores fancy Lamborghini at 6:30 last night  ;D

Somebody else was driving his car then - 7HRK went down the expressway and it certainly looked like him. My son took a photo.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #563 on: May 19, 2019, 10:46:40 PM »
Can't afford his wages not be coming back confimed.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #564 on: May 19, 2019, 10:47:47 PM »
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/05/19/west-brom-will-not-sign-dwight-gayle-permanently-this-summer/

Blimey. That's a downer. I'm all for honesty, but give us a bit of hope and time to enjoy the amazing atmosphere last week, before you kill it.

He's off to Fulham by the sound of it or Sheff Utd.

No swap deal means Rondon will end up at Wolves..?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:49:24 PM by cads_ap_albion »

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #565 on: May 19, 2019, 10:51:35 PM »
Basically like I’ve been saying all year, we are absolutely skint.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #566 on: May 19, 2019, 10:58:23 PM »
Fair enough, sounds like the rebuild is happening. Suits me.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #567 on: May 19, 2019, 11:00:00 PM »
I don't know why anyone is disappointed the facts of Championship life preclude us from signing players earning £55k a week. I am more concerned they would have done the deal in the Premier League which means we haven't got a proper handle on this recruitment malarkey. Although that is a bit of a moot point and easy for Dowling to say as a bit of a sop to those fans who are disappointed.

Basically like I’ve been saying all year, we are absolutely skint.

Not paying those sort of wages does not mean the club is absolutely skint.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #568 on: May 19, 2019, 11:00:36 PM »
Not a shock, and the right decision (I don’t want to sell our ground and rent it back like Wednesday and Derby have in the last year).

Gayle has been brilliant and I have really enjoyed him being here, but we can’t afford 55k a week where we are going to be forr the next few years.

There is an argument to say he limits how you play as well, as he can’t play alone up front. Whoever does sign him though gets a great player.

On a slightly different note, i’m annoyed By the Barnes loan fee comment. I would hope we didn’t pay a big loan fee AND allow Leicester the option to take him back at the same time. What a s*** deal that is.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #569 on: May 19, 2019, 11:13:22 PM »
No need to use the threat of having to fire low paid staff to try and pacify any backlash. This board know no bounds.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #570 on: May 19, 2019, 11:58:08 PM »
Common sense move by the board. Time to rebuild and get salaries back in line with the level we play at.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #571 on: May 20, 2019, 12:43:06 AM »
Sorry but this is genuinely appalling. Gayle increases our chances of promotion massively, he's the best striker in the division. He's worth his weight in gold, without players like him who drive the team on and off the pitch (they know there's always a goal in him), we're going to languish in this division.

Sod HRK and J-Rod off, Gayle scores more than both of them combined (And I bet their salaries add up to more than 55k a week). I'd rather have Gayle, Edwards and a young up and comer from a lower down team than J-Rod, Kanu and another plodder, and i'd be shocked if the former costs more than the latter.

Disgusted.

Edit: HRK and JRod are reportedly on combined salaries of 90k/pw according to Spotrac.com. Even with a 50% flex down that's 45k per week, and that's being generous enough to consider that they're taking a 50% pay cut which I doubt. I'd feel much better about a Gayle/Edwards/New upcoming striker attacking force next year than JRod/HRK/A low wage striker. We should be moving mountains to sign him, I can't believe we're letting him get away.

The board better have some masterstroke signing on the cards to make up for this.

Don't be silly, they didn't have a plan for a new head coach when we didn't have one never mind for a striker when we got HRK at the club ready to score our goals for us because he has zero sell on value.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #572 on: May 20, 2019, 06:11:17 AM »
Even though I knew that this would happen its gutting seeing it in black and white.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #573 on: May 20, 2019, 06:20:26 AM »
Small time thinking and shows what kind of pond we'll be fishing in this year. Why not another loan with an option to sign permamantly next year?  Take the transfer fee out then we coild afford his wages.  For someone who is guaranteed to score 30+ goals, should be a no brainer.  Even if we didn't go up this season he would still bang goals in and would be in demand the following season where we could recoup the money.

I also don't agree with the idea he limits how you play.  You want to go up then you don't play a lone man up top on his own anyway.

And throwing in that line about laying off 'normal' staff is disgusting.  We were supposed to ne a financially well run club and now signing Gayle might mean laying off staff.  We are THAT close to the line eh?  In that case we haven't been well run, we've been fleeced.  What about investment Lai? 

Looking forward to seeing HRK leading the line on a regular basis next year.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #574 on: May 20, 2019, 06:22:36 AM »
And i agree with Ollie,  there's options to shift overpaid squad players to free up room for Gayle.  If there still isn't we are screwed and will be back to Pre-Megson days before we know it.