Dirty yellow and black scumbags
54 (39.1%)
Dirty blue-nosed scumbags
0 (0%)
any other scumbags
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Voting closed: March 20, 2019, 11:46:11 AM

Author Topic: who are our "local rivals"  (Read 17818 times)

wbako

• Senior Baggie

Re: who are our "local rivals"
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 07:58:08 PM »
Not sure whether you actually believe this or just on the wind up (I suspect its the latter), get yourself to Erdington, you can stop at mine for the weekend & I'll introduce you to some vilers, then tell me they don't hate us.

Likewise the ones from Bearwood and Quinton that I know.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »

The crux of it. It's not a rivalry if the majority of one side isn't bothered.

Indeed, as such how can our relationship with Wolves be considered a rivalry when the majority of Albion fans consider the Vile to be the real enemy and are not bothered about Wolves?
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 08:21:51 PM »
In all innocence when I first saw the Albion play wolves I didn't know they were rival's I was about 15 but looked 12 they had just come up and the game finished 2-2 .
I came out of the smethwick and this youth towered over me and snarled in my face you were lucky or words to that effect I looked around and all these grown men were glowering at me with my baggie scarf I actually thought for the first time at a game I might get my head kicked in luckily I spotted a copper a few yards ahead and speedily caught him up and stuck next to him until the Wolves fans went to the station!
Even after that, it's the vile i hate way-way more than Wolves.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 08:36:01 PM »
Indeed, as such how can our relationship with Wolves be considered a rivalry when the majority of Albion fans consider the Vile to be the real enemy and are not bothered about Wolves?

This isn't the case though. I'd estimate a 50/50 split at best, and much like Brexit, as time passes and people die off it'll only move away from Villa more.

I'm not trying to wind anyone up but even if you say it's 60/40 in Vile's favour; among their fans it's probably 90/10 in Blues favour, and that is a conservative estimate.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 08:50:32 PM »
Wolves for me all day everyday. Villa don’t even come close. I’m a 90’s kid and was brought up in darlaston and went to secondary school in willenhall. Albion fans in that school were few and far between. I used to get regular slaps every time we beat them, but it wouldn’t stop me giving it large to them.

The whole 90’s turned into staying in division 1 ( championship) and beating the wolves and nearly every year we did it. They were the rich neighbours spending millions to get to the promised land and we beat them to it spending next to nothing. Villa for me in the 90’s as a kid weren’t even considered a rival they were mixing it with the big boys at the top of the premier league. The thought of even competing with them was a dream .

As the years have gone on and that gap disappeared the rivalry got abit more feisty but still nothing in the wolves for me.

We’ve dominated wolves since 2002 now the tables have turned massively and the idea of competing with them is drifting further and further away. Their the rich neighbours again.

I hate wolves I dislike villa. But what I would say to any Albion fan thinking that villa consider us as a main rival then their kidding themselves. Villa ain’t bothered about us at all , wolves can’t stand us. For me the region will always be Albion wolves and villa blues

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:54:06 PM by wbarenno »

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 08:51:18 PM »
In all innocence when I first saw the Albion play wolves I didn't know they were rival's I was about 15 but looked 12 they had just come up and the game finished 2-2 .
I came out of the smethwick and this youth towered over me and snarled in my face you were lucky or words to that effect I looked around and all these grown men were glowering at me with my baggie scarf I actually thought for the first time at a game I might get my head kicked in luckily I spotted a copper a few yards ahead and speedily caught him up and stuck next to him until the Wolves fans went to the station!
Even after that, it's the vile i hate way-way more than Wolves.
That was my first game against Wolves, I was about 10 or 11, and was in the Woodman, some dog heads walked round back of the Rainbow and were throwing stones into the Albion fans in Woodman, so me and my step brother started throwing them back till I got a clip round ear off my dad. It went mental on Halfords Lane after match and I got flattened by a dog head who booted me. I still didn’t see what the fuss was about. Does anyone remember Wolves fans on roof of Smerhwick that game and police being on roof to chase them?

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 09:03:18 PM »
That was my first game against Wolves, I was about 10 or 11, and was in the Woodman, some dog heads walked round back of the Rainbow and were throwing stones into the Albion fans in Woodman, so me and my step brother started throwing them back till I got a clip round ear off my dad. It went mental on Halfords Lane after match and I got flattened by a dog head who booted me. I still didn’t see what the fuss was about. Does anyone remember Wolves fans on roof of Smerhwick that game and police being on roof to chase them?
I may be getting mixed up here gut there used to be a sandwich hut in the Smethwick and the wolves fans tried to set light to it was it that game?
I seem to remember that  on the roof wolves fans have a thing for that remember that one falling through the roof at some away game  :D.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 09:08:49 PM »
I may be getting mixed up here gut there used to be a sandwich hut in the Smethwick and the wolves fans tried to set light to it was it that game?
I seem to remember that  on the roof wolves fans have a thing for that remember that one falling through the roof at some away game  :D.
the Scarborough skydiver.😂😂
thick prat forgot his chute.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 09:53:47 PM »
Wolves for me all day everyday. Villa don’t even come close. I’m a 90’s kid and was brought up in darlaston and went to secondary school in willenhall. Albion fans in that school were few and far between. I used to get regular slaps every time we beat them, but it wouldn’t stop me giving it large to them.

The whole 90’s turned into staying in division 1 ( championship) and beating the wolves and nearly every year we did it. They were the rich neighbours spending millions to get to the promised land and we beat them to it spending next to nothing. Villa for me in the 90’s as a kid weren’t even considered a rival they were mixing it with the big boys at the top of the premier league. The thought of even competing with them was a dream .

As the years have gone on and that gap disappeared the rivalry got abit more feisty but still nothing in the wolves for me.

We’ve dominated wolves since 2002 now the tables have turned massively and the idea of competing with them is drifting further and further away. Their the rich neighbours again.

I hate wolves I dislike villa. But what I would say to any Albion fan thinking that villa consider us as a main rival then their kidding themselves. Villa ain’t bothered about us at all , wolves can’t stand us. For me the region will always be Albion wolves and villa blues

Villa ain’t bothered about us. You are so so wrong. They always say it’s only Blues but that’s because they always win against them. Used to get dogs abuse from them but now they hide since we started beating them.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 09:59:38 PM »
You’ve only got to go to a game at villa park and then one at molineux to tell the difference I think.

Stoke last week seemed to have more of a derby day atmosphere to it than Saturday did. Poor atmosphere Saturday from both sets really, didn’t here a peep out of villa and considering we were 2-0 against a team a lot of people see as the main rivals we were quiet second half except for last 5/10 minutes.

Games at the molineux just have so much of a different feel to it from the start of the day to the end of the day. Wouldn’t get Albion fans walking around molineux with shorts on show like they did Saturday, although that probably says more about those wolves scumbags more than anything else

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 10:00:30 PM »
All comes down to age and geogrpahy i think. I didn't have a clue about Wolves until we went really bad in the 90s, on my playground it was Albion vs Villa but i am toward the Birmingham end of the black country not the dingle end. Wolves were nobodies to me in the 80s.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 10:04:31 PM »
You’ve only got to go to a game at villa park and then one at molineux to tell the difference I think.

Stoke last week seemed to have more of a derby day atmosphere to it than Saturday did. Poor atmosphere Saturday from both sets really, didn’t here a peep out of villa and considering we were 2-0 against a team a lot of people see as the main rivals we were quiet second half except for last 5/10 minutes.

Games at the molineux just have so much of a different feel to it from the start of the day to the end of the day. Wouldn’t get Albion fans walking around molineux with shorts on show like they did Saturday, although that probably says more about those wolves scumbags more than anything else
[/b]

This. Idiotic support doesn't create a rivalry though, you wouldn't want to walk around Millwall either.

As I said in another topic earlier one hundred and forty odd years of history says Villa are our proper rivals.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2019, 10:28:00 PM »
All comes down to age and geogrpahy i think. I didn't have a clue about Wolves until we went really bad in the 90s, on my playground it was Albion vs Villa but i am toward the Birmingham end of the black country not the dingle end. Wolves were nobodies to me in the 80s.

On the playground at primary school it was always blues and Albion v Villa and Man U and any rejects.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 10:32:52 PM »

This. Idiotic support doesn't create a rivalry though, you wouldn't want to walk around Millwall either.

As I said in another topic earlier one hundred and forty odd years of history says Villa are our proper rivals.

Someone should tell Villa then, because we KNOW they're all about history  ;D

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 11:37:55 PM »
Did they win something in 1982?  :D

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2019, 11:41:57 PM »
Did they win something in 1982?  :D

Dunno fella I was only 1...

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2019, 12:00:31 AM »
Went for Wolves. I started going up in 94 so they were the main rivals for years. We never played Villa until the PL in 2002. Blues were rivals, but I just didn't feel the tension, even though my mate at school was a blue nose, went home and away with them.

Wolves are also Black Country, so that's the rivalry for me.

Besides, Villa are just a small town in Birmingham, and Blues are just a small town in Aston  ;D or so the song goes!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2019, 12:02:20 AM »
I was born in Great Barr and grew up in South Birmingham and as such Villa were always the main rival. My cousin was a Villa fan and there were plenty at school and latter at work.

I never met a Wolves fan when I lived in Birmingham. To this day I only ever recall meeting one and that was a guy who I worked with in Hemel Hempstead of all places. It is difficult to sustain a rivalry when you have no social contact with your rivals. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2019, 12:09:11 AM »

This isn't the case though. I'd estimate a 50/50 split at best, and much like Brexit, as time passes and people die off it'll only move away from Villa more.

I'm not trying to wind anyone up but even if you say it's 60/40 in Vile's favour; among their fans it's probably 90/10 in Blues favour, and that is a conservative estimate.

I'm no stranger to football forums but this really is in seriously poor taste, and that says a lot coming from me. I'll acknowledge I'm not a reference point for forum morality but this is aiming pretty low.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2019, 12:23:01 AM »
What I like about this debate is that you all base your preference from personal experiences, peers, enemies and acquaintances. The only Wolves fans I know personally are my Uncle and my late Nan, I went to school in Leicestershire with a couple of Villa fans but... In my experience football rivalry is a mob experience, one of the best football books ever written is is by satirist and all round legend Sir Terry Pratchett - Unseen Academicals, and it encapsulates this side of the game brilliantly.

So despite numerous examples of individual anecdotal evidence provided on here, tales of woe about being brought up in this area or that area I can't get my head around hating a team, who's fans aren't (for the most part) a bit bothered about us. Go on Villa Talk, go on Twitter, even Facebook where the bells really come out, it's just another defeat to them, they could care less they lost to us, only that they lost. They constantly talk about the disgrace of finishing below Blues, they're not bothered they're going to finish below us, they're not bothered if we get promoted. It's sheer arrogance I presume, but it's there in them, they just don't care.

I'm no stranger to football forums but this really is in seriously poor taste, and that says a lot coming from me. I'll acknowledge I'm not a reference point for forum morality but this is aiming pretty low.

Spotted you post as I was posting mate.

We know each other Dan, I meant nothing more than to suggest as many others have it's to a certain extent an age thing, I seriously apologise if I've offended you. Not my intention. But reading it back it doesn't sound great.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2019, 01:13:08 AM »
Spotted you post as I was posting mate.

We know each other Dan, I meant nothing more than to suggest as many others have it's to a certain extent an age thing, I seriously apologise if I've offended you. Not my intention. But reading it back it doesn't sound great.

Fair enough chap and as stated in the PM, no problem.

All of the very best to you and yours.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Cunningham56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2019, 01:18:29 AM »
It's 100%, definitely....Wolves

From your own personal perspective it does depend on your age, location, and even friends/family and your environment growing up, but being as objective as possible, I think this is fairly accurate....

99% of Blues fans see Villa as their main rivals.
99% of Wolves fans see West Brom as their main rivals.

*MOST* Villa fans hate Blues the most
*MOST* Albion fans hate Wolves the most

There is no fixture in the WBA calendar like West Brom v Wolves. This is the game with the best atmosphere, the most bite, the most satisfaction, the most authentic rivalry. When was the last time we had a game against Wolves kick off on a Saturday at 15:00 like we just did against Villa? (just like a normal game)

They always tend to get moved to 12:00 on advice of the police. You will never see Villa-Blues kick off at 15:00 on a Saturday either.

In 2008, West Brom v Wolves was voted the most fiercest rivalry in English football by supporters across the country.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2297404/Wolves-v-West-Brom-Bitter-rivals-do-battle.html

There will be 500 extra police on duty in Wolverhampton tonight, and all pubs will be bolted and padlocked four hours before kick-off. Wolves versus West Bromwich Albion is officially the biggest derby in the country, which may raise eyebrows on Merseyside, or in Manchester and north London.

The Black Country derby, though, takes mutual dislike to another level. Five hundred Wolves fans rioted in January last year when the two teams met in the FA Cup, and only a police blockade prevented a full-scale confrontation when West Bromwich supporters invaded the pitch in celebration of their victory in the play-off semi-final a year ago.

It is a match with an atmosphere like no other, a rivalry that goes deeper than just the football. For that reason it is perhaps no surprise that it came out top in the Football Rivalries Report 2008, published recently by the New Football Pools from information gathered from more than 6,000 members of the Football Fans Census

TOP 3 INTENSE WEST MIDLANDS DERBIES
1. West Brom vs Wolves
2. Villa vs Blues
3. West Brom vs Villa

The atmosphere at The Hawthorns and police presence and intensity will always be the highest for a Wolves game. Likewise at Villa Park for a second city Derby.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2019, 02:04:36 AM »
Additionally, over the 120 years, we have spent more years in a league with Villa than Wolves, as follows

Albion - Villa 70 years
Albion - Wolves 65 years
Villa - Wolves 58 years

Since the 1980’s, that’s 39 year to date, the figures are as follows

Albion - Villa 18 years
Albion - Wolves 12 years
Villa - Wolves 10 years

Doesn’t prove much, other than that we have spent more years in the same divisions as Villa rather than Wolves.

I’ll get we coot!

Ps, sorry Blues, I will do the analysis to include you if there is a high enough demand😂

Sorry but I had different figures....  as of this season, we have spent exactly the same number of Seasons in the same division (any division) with both Villa and Wolves.

and since 1980... 39 seasons, the count is also the same for Villa and Wolves......with more seasons with the Blues thean the other two.

Since start of Football league (120 seasons) teams together at any level.

WBA and Villa  = 73
WBA and  Wolves  = 73
Wolves and Birmingham  = 65
WBA and Birmingham = 59
Villa and Birmingham = 58
Villa and Wolves = 54   

Since 1980 (39 seasons) teams together at any level.

WBA and Birmingham = 23
Wolves and Birmingham  = 23
WBA and Villa  = 18
WBA and  Wolves  = 18
Villa and Birmingham = 16
Villa and Wolves = 9

and I so hope I haven't stuffed up the counts  :)
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2019, 02:10:27 AM »
Sorry but I had different figures....  as of this season, we have spent exactly the same number of Seasons in the same division (any division) with both Villa and Wolves.

and since 1980... 39 seasons, the count is also the same for Villa and Wolves......with more seasons with the Blues thean the other two.

Since start of Football league (120 seasons) teams together at any level.

WBA and Villa  = 73
WBA and  Wolves  = 73
Wolves and Birmingham  = 65
WBA and Birmingham = 59
Villa and Birmingham = 58
Villa and Wolves = 54   

Since 1980 (39 seasons) teams together at any level.

WBA and Birmingham = 23
Wolves and Birmingham  = 23
WBA and Villa  = 18
WBA and  Wolves  = 18
Villa and Birmingham = 16
Villa and Wolves = 9

and I so hope I haven't stuffed up the counts  :)

Vile vs Blues well down on both those lists, still their biggest rivals by far.

Stats are just that.

Cunningham56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2019, 03:35:02 AM »