Author Topic: 11 May 2019 Aston Villa 2 Albion 1 (Play Off 1st Leg)  (Read 95360 times)

superkev

• Junior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #425 on: May 11, 2019, 02:59:21 PM »
Time for the Montero Man
"

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #426 on: May 11, 2019, 02:59:44 PM »
We've been awful under Shan away from home so was expecting defeat here, what is that now, 5 or 6 away without a win, about 4 losses?

Worst referee we've had this season but if you would will bring on and leave us with a 2 man midfield you invite the problems we had.

Over a year on from pulis and we've regressed back to that standard but in a league lower. Probably our next manager too.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #427 on: May 11, 2019, 03:00:01 PM »
Albion need to report ref and make big deal about it

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #428 on: May 11, 2019, 03:00:18 PM »
Yeah, you're rigjt to be fair.  Johanson kept Grealish out of the game first half.  I think Phillips also helped with his running as Grealish was constantly tracking him back. 

Shan needed to change it in the middle.
Shan made changes. He brought on Jacob Murphy. ;D
The PRIDE of midlands

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #429 on: May 11, 2019, 03:01:23 PM »
Is it me or did we look unfit ? ???
BOING BOING

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #430 on: May 11, 2019, 03:02:23 PM »
I honestly think emotions are running high but people saying we have no chance? Come on now, of course we have a good chance. I know we are missing two strikers but it’s one goal deficit. We just need to stand up for ourselves and if we make the hawthorns a cauldron Tuesday, I fancy us, I really do.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #431 on: May 11, 2019, 03:03:14 PM »
Shan made changes. He brought on Jacob Murphy. ;D

True, I meant more Brunt and/or Joahnsson.  Neither of them got near the ball second half.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #432 on: May 11, 2019, 03:04:51 PM »
We've looked unfit and lacking in tempo all year.

Shan tactically did exactly what I would have done with our aging squad. Keep us in it by being defensive.

Field for Phillips would have been my choice...

Not over yet, but us breaking a team down without Gayle is a worry..
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #433 on: May 11, 2019, 03:06:22 PM »
Can't see us winning by 2 clear goals against the pooh from this position without Gayle {no away goals rule in the play-offs} but stranger things have happened. Maybe penalties will decide it?
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Tony

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #434 on: May 11, 2019, 03:06:49 PM »
I honestly think emotions are running high but people saying we have no chance? Come on now, of course we have a good chance. I know we are missing two strikers but it’s one goal deficit. We just need to stand up for ourselves and if we make the hawthorns a cauldron Tuesday, I fancy us, I really do.

We're not out of this yet. Yes we've not got Gayle but that just means somebody else will have to step up. Liverpool came back without Salah and Firmino, as did Spurs without Kane - footballs a funny old game.

We just need to believe and get behind the boys even more on Tuesday now. COYB

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #435 on: May 11, 2019, 03:08:12 PM »
If we are to stand a chance the Hawthorns has got to scream and appeal for everything.  Really pile the pressure on the ref to give decsions our way.  It worked fir Villa today.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #436 on: May 11, 2019, 03:08:20 PM »
We've looked unfit and lacking in tempo all year.

Shan tactically did exactly what I would have done with our aging squad. Keep us in it by being defensive.

Field for Phillips would have been my choice...

Not over yet, but us breaking a team down without Gayle is a worry..
Agree. can't understand why Field once again overlooked by the coaching staff.
Murphy ahead of Field is a poor decision by Shan.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 03:12:17 PM by koren »
The PRIDE of midlands

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #437 on: May 11, 2019, 03:09:29 PM »
Sat back too deep Brunt did nothing in midfield for me and would have preferred Harper to give Johansen more help. Villa were there for the taking if we had a coach with balls.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #438 on: May 11, 2019, 03:10:55 PM »
Poor choices bringing on Mears and Murphy. How we did not get a penalty is beyond me. Watching the game in a pub in Folkestone and everyone watching it said clear penalty!

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #439 on: May 11, 2019, 03:10:59 PM »
Is it me or did we look unfit ? ???

They always look to me like they are trying to run through cement. Even the so called pacey players like Murphy and Phillips, they just don’t seem to be able to move.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #440 on: May 11, 2019, 03:11:25 PM »
We're not out of this yet. Yes we've not got Gayle but that just means somebody else will have to step up. Liverpool came back without Salah and Firmino, as did Spurs without Kane - footballs a funny old game.

We just need to believe and get behind the boys even more on Tuesday now. COYB
Agreed - whatever we need to make the most of the opportunity on Tuesday. Down but not yet out. I was thinking of that old Greeves quote too! The playoff gods were unkind to us today. What we lack in quality we made up for in determination in the first half and everything just went Villa’s way in the second. On to Tuesday COYB! If we go out then that’s the time to pick over the bones of the season.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #441 on: May 11, 2019, 03:16:30 PM »
There is surely little to lose. Now massive underdogs with everyone - heartbreak late defeat, no Gayle and pundits have mostly written Albion off, if they hadn’t done so beforehand.

Should go into the game on Tuesday with a “nothing to lose” attitude. I admit I expect Villa to go through, but the team should play without fear in a supportive atmosphere and see if they can shift the momentum. Two sets of 11 fairly evenly matched players, one goal in it, and by kick off time on Tuesday night it will feel a bit different than it does right now.

Villa are red hot favourites. But favourites don’t always handle expectation, and they don’t always win.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #442 on: May 11, 2019, 03:16:35 PM »
This match perfectly sums up our season. At times we looked dangerous but we have no fitness, no desire and no midfield. We had to rely on a mistake to score.

Yes, the referee was abysmal, possibly the worst in the league. But we certainly didn't help ourselves. If you go diving in you can give away pens. And look how much space Hourihane had for his shot.

We had no desire to stop their players from advancing. Johansen stood and let JG go past him in the 10th minute. Tired then? Surely not.

It's not Gayles fault alone, there are many contributing factors, but I honestly can't see us turning this around. This season has just been a massive waste of time.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #443 on: May 11, 2019, 03:17:39 PM »
Agreed - whatever we need to make the most of the opportunity on Tuesday. Down but not yet out. I was thinking of that old Greeves quote too! The playoff gods were unkind to us today. What we lack in quality we made up for in determination in the first half and everything just went Villa’s way in the second. On to Tuesday COYB! If we go out then that’s the time to pick over the bones of the season.
gods didn't cost ref did atrocious decision for second Gayle yellow and not giving us a stonewall penalty. Who was the tosser and where is he from?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #444 on: May 11, 2019, 03:19:03 PM »
We didn't deserve to lose that game but as always happens down the years when there is a massive game between these clubs they always turn us over and usually they don't deserve it.

Today we set up to defend a nick a goal we did just that, superb first half. Villa come back and go 2-1 up, fair enough but we came back at them and were denied a stonewall penalty when Abraham barged through Holgate. 90% certain it's 2-2 then.

Then, the appalling ref who couldn't wait to penalise us all game sends off Gayle. Yes he's missed the ball and yes it's a foul but a booking? No way, he's got to go for it.

They will win the second leg comfortably IMO.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Match Officials
« Reply #445 on: May 11, 2019, 03:19:34 PM »
Report this c___t

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #446 on: May 11, 2019, 03:19:38 PM »

I think we just got knackered chasing the ball and didn't have the quality to create anything personally.  Tuesday we need a clean sheet then one or two set pieces to see us through maybe with penalties. They're a far better team than us - simple.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #447 on: May 11, 2019, 03:21:56 PM »
This match perfectly sums up our season. At times we looked dangerous but we have no fitness, no desire and no midfield. We had to rely on a mistake to score.

Yes, the referee was abysmal, possibly the worst in the league. But we certainly didn't help ourselves. If you go diving in you can give away pens. And look how much space Hourihane had for his shot.

We had no desire to stop their players from advancing. Johansen stood and let JG go past him in the 10th minute. Tired then? Surely not.

It's not Gayles fault alone, there are many contributing factors, but I honestly can't see us turning this around. This season has just been a massive waste of time.

Sorry, but Johansen marked Grealish (a very good player, probably the best midfielder in the league) out of the game for 70 minutes, before tiring due to noone in there helping him. Grealish might've gone past him a couple of times, but obviously that happens occasionally during a match

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #448 on: May 11, 2019, 03:23:51 PM »
Sorry, but Johansen marked Grealish (a very good player, probably the best midfielder in the league) out of the game for 70 minutes, before tiring due to noone in there helping him. Grealish might've gone past him a couple of times, but obviously that happens occasionally during a match

My issue isn't JG getting past him, it was the timing (very early) and the lack of effort to close him down. It is literally what we've lacked all season.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #449 on: May 11, 2019, 03:25:36 PM »
My issue isn't JG getting past him, it was the timing (very early) and the lack of effort to close him down. It is literally what we've lacked all season.

I would strongly disagree with you accusing Johansen of lack of effort today, him and Gayle in particular gave it everything.