Author Topic: 11 May 2019 Aston Villa 2 Albion 1 (Play Off 1st Leg)  (Read 95531 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #450 on: May 11, 2019, 03:25:46 PM »
I think we just got knackered chasing the ball and didn't have the quality to create anything personally.  Tuesday we need a clean sheet then one or two set pieces to see us through maybe with penalties. They're a far better team than us - simple.
thought we opened them up on a few occasions and only final ball let us down. Don't think we will go through with the loss of Gayle as Shan hasn't the tactical nouse to open up teams, subs bench showed us that.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #451 on: May 11, 2019, 03:29:02 PM »
Does anyone else remember the 1993 play offs.

we finished 4th in the league. Played the 5th team , swansea. We lost the 1st game away 1 - 2. Then won the 2nd at home 2 - 0 . 

That night the Hawthorns was a cauldron.  I have never been to a match at the Hawthorns since that has showed so much atmosphere.  We did it then and we can do it again. It will be up to us to create that extra through making the atmosphere uncomfortable for the vile.

It is only 1 goal . so lets all get behind the team on Tuesday !!!

COYB.  SOTV.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #452 on: May 11, 2019, 03:29:15 PM »
A professional job at best first half but 2nd half we just invited pressure for the majority of it.

Mears coming on appeared a forced change (cannot understand why we didnt have Tosin on the bench when all our other fit centre halves were playing and why Montero came from nowhere when Edwards who has shown glimpses didnt make the squad at all)

There seemed to be an outlet and game plan first half even if we did play a bit too deep but 2nd half we just kept giving them the ball back and our midfield which isnt exactly a bundle of energy anyway just ran out of legs. Johansen was the pick, Phillips looked rusty and if you play Brunt you have to try and keep the ball, although not a centre midfielder, Brunty does have a football brain so you have to get him on the ball and have legs around him, 2nd half we did none of that and your asking a 34 year old to spend the game chasing and closing down which eventually will catch up with you.

The worry is we dont really have a great deal of other options for Tuesday, maybe Field could come in but i expect to see us lineup with a team that looked dead on its feet, especially in midfield.

I thought Villa were very average at best, but they were better than us which says a lot about us, the way the media (and many Villa fans) have been talking you would think we were coming up against a Liverpool or Man City, we werent, they are a very average side who are in decent form and having a lot of the rub of the green at the right stage of the season but they are more than beatable.

I would hope we will actually take the game to them on Tuesday, actually have some of the ball and try and do something because if we do i fancy us to beat them, yes it will leave us open a bit but i dont think we can approach the game the same as we did today, we gave Villa too much respect, especially 2nd half.

As much as i think Dean Smith is a decent coach, he is whiney t**t as well, every interview he does he puts in some little dig about other teams, he still refers back to Jrods hand ball every opportunity, but he played it clever today. As soon as Gayle had been booked, there was a nothing incident by the benches involving Gayle which he had a cry over and got the refs attention, from then on it felt like the ref was waiting to send Gayle off, if he cant go in for a challenge like he did with the keeper then football is pretty pointless.

I think the ref was poor today, not just that he got the sending off wrong and we should of had a penalty, those things happen, we have benefitted from those this season, what i didnt like was i felt he was very inconsistent, it felt like if a Villa player stopped and appealed, they got the decision, i think we had 5 booked today and there was 1 bad challenge all game? I think the size of the crowd and the occasion got to the ref and he was poor, i wouldnt say the atmosphere got to him because i think Villa park was fairly quiet until they scored, certainly wasnt intimidating or loyal backing from the home fans.

Its over to us on Tuesday, i would hope we do make it a hostile atmosphere for both the ref and Villa as big occasions clearly do influence refs, listening to many Villa fans they really do think they are at wembley and they do really think they are something special, they arent, if we show some initiative and get at them i think we would beat them, but i expect a repeat of todays performance, the big difference is we dont have Gayle tuesday but instead of changing our game plan i think we will try and blag it and it will cost us.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #453 on: May 11, 2019, 03:31:42 PM »
Before the game I thought Grealish would draw fouls and Hourihane was likely to score given 2 or 3 freekicks instead Grealish draws several defenders and leave Hourihane unmarked at edge of area.
I thought we played well in first half but in the second we created our own problems by heading balls going out for a goalkick either back in play or for a corner.Why no Leave It shouts?

Perhaps we should give the real young strikers a chance on Tuesday.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #454 on: May 11, 2019, 03:32:23 PM »
I want to see Phillips up top with jrod,fingers crossed for daws to be OK.
I really think that we will win on Tuesday night.
No think like a night match at the Albion.
I also think that their defence is suspect and may be inclined to dive in when under pressure.they won't have a massive fan support either we must get the hawthorns rocking though.
Only one goal behind I would have settled for that as I suspect most baggies would've.

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #455 on: May 11, 2019, 03:33:26 PM »
the only god thing to come out of it is shan clearly out of his depth even with 2 "very highly rated coaches" sooner he is back to his normal role training kids the better

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #456 on: May 11, 2019, 03:34:53 PM »
I would strongly disagree with you accusing Johansen of lack of effort today, him and Gayle in particular gave it everything.

You disagree that's fair enough, but I remember a video of Johansen being shown as we signed him and it was a collection of his tackles. I've not seen any of that for wba. He's been weak, along with the other 2 signings. It's just been a weak season. We needed character and I feel we lacked that.

We defended well, but we invited pressure all game. We finished the season well above them, yet they had 70% possession. It won't be any different on Tuesday.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #457 on: May 11, 2019, 03:37:33 PM »
Can't imagine who we will get to replace Shan, part of me suspects that he is already here in the form of Appleton but i hope i'm wrong.

It ain't over till it's over so let's hope we can do something out of the blue Tuesday.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #458 on: May 11, 2019, 03:38:16 PM »
My issue isn't JG getting past him, it was the timing (very early) and the lack of effort to close him down. It is literally what we've lacked all season.

The problem is the current group of players don’t know how to time a tackle. We’ve had nobody to put a foot in since Yacob and Mulumbu.  Fair enough they got their fair share of bookings but they did break up the oppositions attack’s.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #459 on: May 11, 2019, 03:38:57 PM »
You disagree that's fair enough, but I remember a video of Johansen being shown as we signed him and it was a collection of his tackles. I've not seen any of that for wba. He's been weak, along with the other 2 signings. It's just been a weak season. We needed character and I feel we lacked that.

We defended well, but we invited pressure all game. We finished the season well above them, yet they had 70% possession. It won't be any different on Tuesday.

Johansen had a good game, I really don't know what you were watching.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #460 on: May 11, 2019, 03:41:33 PM »
Thought Phillips was poor in general and very obviously running out of steam. Looking at the bench not sure there was a like for like swap available anything else would have changed the shape which was working.

The foul on Holgate is given every time outside the box.

The Gayle dismissal was unfortunate but the first yellow was the one that was avoidable the previous throw-in saw the ref warn Gayle yet he dawdled over to take the next throw in, now I know we were trying to slow the game but a little bit of sense from an experienced player.

Would worry about the knocks picked up by Dawson and Johansen with very little time to recover
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #461 on: May 11, 2019, 03:42:51 PM »
Only the 3 relegated sides have kept fewer clean sheets yet we spend 90 mins sat back inviting pressure. Only a matter of time before they scored. Our Midfield is the biggest problem we have. Nothing in there whatsoever.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #462 on: May 11, 2019, 03:43:46 PM »
Johansen was asked to do a job on Grealish. His man assisted the equaliser and won the penalty. Not sure how anyone can say he did well. Those are the facts.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #463 on: May 11, 2019, 03:45:30 PM »
the only god thing to come out of it is shan clearly out of his depth even with 2 "very highly rated coaches" sooner he is back to his normal role training kids the better
think the club need total clear out from top to bottom, I can see now why we seem to lose a lot of our up and coming kids the coaches are just not good enough.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #464 on: May 11, 2019, 03:47:18 PM »
" if we show some initiative and get at them i think we would beat them,"

Our coaches haven't got any initiative.  I've seen Murphy several times now and I don't see what he brings to a team, not able to beat a man, average crossing and poor tackling.   Why not replace Phillips with Edwards, he's shown he can beat a man and gets back to tackle.   When Johansen got tired why didn't we bring on Field? 
I said recently that we need a manager who is able to recognise when a player is tiring yet Shan keeps  Brunt on the entire game.  He'll not be fit for Tuesday's game but will be played.   
I believe Daws  has a long-standing concussion problem that's why he's been off the boil - can't understand why Adarabaiyo was not on the bench but I think he should be a CB next game.

All in all, Shan's selections baffle me - lets have a proper manager next season.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #465 on: May 11, 2019, 03:47:41 PM »
Nothing like a bit of gloom and doom is there ffs?
In effect its half time with everything to play for in the second half.
It took them 70 minutes to register a shot on target then the pikey throws himself over Gibbos leg.
We can turn this around, with or without Dwight.
Our support on Tuesday can make a hell of a difference, looking forward to seeing 2000 scumbags snivelling back to Witton
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

rogerstubbs

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #466 on: May 11, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »
Looked to me as if Dawson was taken ill rather injured ,anyone heard anything?

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #467 on: May 11, 2019, 03:51:55 PM »
Johansen was asked to do a job on Grealish. His man assisted the equaliser and won the penalty. Not sure how anyone can say he did well. Those are the facts.

And yet Brunt wasn’t marking anyone when the ball was laid back to Hourihan
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #468 on: May 11, 2019, 03:52:46 PM »
Looked to me as if Dawson was taken ill rather injured ,anyone heard anything?

He was dizzy and puked up at halftime, hence the change. The medics gave him a pill but it didn't work.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #469 on: May 11, 2019, 03:54:42 PM »
I would strongly disagree with you accusing Johansen of lack of effort today, him and Gayle in particular gave it everything.

Agree 100% mate

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #470 on: May 11, 2019, 03:56:46 PM »
And yet Brunt wasn’t marking anyone when the ball was laid back to Hourihan

Hourihan had time to write a letter to Grealish asking for the ball...…..
MAGA!

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #471 on: May 11, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »

Won a penalty being fouled by Gibbs and got one of the easiest assists of the season because Hourihane has been left completely alone with time to do ten kick ups before slotting it

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #472 on: May 11, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »
I would have taken 1-2 before the game but losing Gayle is a terrible blow. That said, we're still in it. Fans will have a big part to play in the second leg. Let's smash the bastards.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #473 on: May 11, 2019, 04:02:59 PM »

Johansen had a good game, I really don't know what you were watching.

Don't start the "don't know what you were watching". You have a right to disagree, but don't bother with that.

We've had it all season, not just today. Players need to show more urgency to win the ball. I feel he lacked the desire to put a foot in.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #474 on: May 11, 2019, 04:03:42 PM »
" if we show some initiative and get at them i think we would beat them,"

Our coaches haven't got any initiative.  I've seen Murphy several times now and I don't see what he brings to a team, not able to beat a man, average crossing and poor tackling.   Why not replace Phillips with Edwards, he's shown he can beat a man and gets back to tackle.   When Johansen got tired why didn't we bring on Field? 
I said recently that we need a manager who is able to recognise when a player is tiring yet Shan keeps  Brunt on the entire game.  He'll not be fit for Tuesday's game but will be played.   
I believe Daws  has a long-standing concussion problem that's why he's been off the boil - can't understand why Adarabaiyo was not on the bench but I think he should be a CB next game.

All in all, Shan's selections baffle me - lets have a proper manager next season.
I thought Mears did ok when Phillips was on pitch but became isolated with Murphy's arrival. As for equaliser Murphy had chance to clear ball but failed, he's been nothing but shocking since his arrival and doesn't warrant selecting for first team or bench but PE teacher cannot see that.