17 (22.4%)
Pessimist
28 (36.8%)
Don’t know
1 (1.3%)
Love the Albion Whatever
30 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: Optimist or Pessimist  (Read 5893 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Optimist or Pessimist
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2020, 12:01:17 PM »
already resigned to going down, anything else is a win win
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2020, 12:03:32 PM »
Realist  :-X
Baggie in Southampton

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2020, 12:15:29 PM »
I have never gone into a season with less optimism (I saw my first game in 1969). Normally I am by nature a glass half full person but lack of money, crowds, Covid and experienced PL players are big warning signs. To me our only trump cards are Billic and team spirit but how long will this last if results don't improve? Given our lack of finances, however, if we sign another one or two strikers by the end of next week it will have been a good window and better than a lot of similar clubs such as Burnley or West Ham.
That said there is something deeply wrong and it is almost like we expect to go down come what may a la Norwich last year? Our squad is more talented than some of the other PL squads we have had and survived, our manager is better yet as it stands we are still going to go down something is not right perhaps we need a bit of the Sheffield United attitude of last season.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »
I have never gone into a season with less optimism...........

I honestly went into this season with far more optimism than I did when we appointed Brian Little in August 1999. Marriage made in hell for me. Couldn't stand the bloke, he could have bored the tits off a stone carving. I was delighted when he got the bullet.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 01:52:12 PM »
Pragmatist
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2020, 03:45:49 PM »
all this optimism is getting me down !! :-[
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2020, 03:50:47 PM »
I honestly went into this season with far more optimism than I did when we appointed Brian Little in August 1999. Marriage made in hell for me. Couldn't stand the bloke, he could have bored the tits off a stone carving. I was delighted when he got the bullet.

I’ll bet his close association with the Vile did very little in endearing him to you, Smethdan (pardon the pun).

But yeah, I remember him being in charge and he was utter toss at the Albion. Nearly relegated us.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2020, 04:31:06 PM »
I’ll bet his close association with the Vile did very little in endearing him to you, Smethdan (pardon the pun).

But yeah, I remember him being in charge and he was utter toss at the Albion. Nearly relegated us.
You are right he was useless and it is not often that anyone with Vile or Dingle pasts do well. However my worst was Alan Buckley (just ahead of Little, Saunders, Talbot and Gould) in the dismal Hall of Fame. Losing 11 in a row I think including getting thumped 3-0) at home by Wolves - just awful.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2020, 05:00:30 PM »
You are right he was useless and it is not often that anyone with Vile or Dingle pasts do well. However my worst was Alan Buckley (just ahead of Little, Saunders, Talbot and Gould) in the dismal Hall of Fame. Losing 11 in a row I think including getting thumped 3-0) at home by Wolves - just awful.

Thought that run under Buckley was up around 15 or 16 straight defeats? A club record.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2020, 05:04:18 PM »
Thought that run under Buckley was up around 15 or 16 straight defeats? A club record.
That probably includes cup defeats as well but i stand to be corrected. I seem to remember losing 11 on the trot and drawing 12th. Chrs Lekowski will put me right!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2020, 05:11:36 PM »
That probably includes cup defeats as well but i stand to be corrected. I seem to remember losing 11 on the trot and drawing 12th. Chrs Lekowski will put me right!

Spot on 11 straight defeats, 14 without a win.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2020, 08:13:24 AM »

We didn't lose 3-0 at home to Wolves during 'that' run. It was 0-0. Andy Hunt missed a penalty near the end of the game. They pumped us 2-4 the following season with Roberts claiming three though, the last time they beat us on home soil.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2020, 09:08:02 AM »
Optimistic that the landscape gardener will sell us hopefully to an American sports consortium with ambition. Optimistic on the pitch too, despite our obvious striker issues they are a good squad of players mostly. Pessimistic that we may not get the missing pieces and that we will hardly be out of the bottom 3 sadly.
Personally I am thinking of life after Lai
MAGA!

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2020, 09:19:15 AM »
We didn't lose 3-0 at home to Wolves during 'that' run. It was 0-0. Andy Hunt missed a penalty near the end of the game. They pumped us 2-4 the following season with Roberts claiming three though, the last time they beat us on home soil.

Until this season!  :o

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2020, 09:34:40 AM »
I remember that 2-4 can't recall our keeper that day, but I'm sure it's the game where they impeded the keeper at corners, wonder if they'll employ that tactic again lol
But to keep on thread, guess I'm a pessimist as its the Albion and they always let you down!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2020, 11:06:12 AM »
I remember that 2-4 can't recall our keeper that day, but I'm sure it's the game where they impeded the keeper at corners, wonder if they'll employ that tactic again lol
But to keep on thread, guess I'm a pessimist as its the Albion and they always let you down!

Paul Crichton was in goal that day.

the other AJ

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2020, 11:14:23 AM »

....and I think it was the 0-0 against the Dings that halted that 11 match losing streak.
Weren’t we second or third in the table before that disastrous run??
Baggie Down Under 🙃

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2020, 11:25:27 AM »
....and I think it was the 0-0 against the Dings that halted that 11 match losing streak.
Weren’t we second or third in the table before that disastrous run??

Yes, that point was the beginning of the turnaround. Can't remember our placing at the beginning of the bad run but we were definitely top six.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2020, 11:30:04 AM »
Paul Crichton was in goal that day.
Of course - cheers for that
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2020, 12:07:21 PM »
I'm positive not negative. Still think we will go down in 20th realistically but I'm stillgonna enjoy this season

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2020, 12:42:33 PM »
Realist.
To not address a defence that was poor in the championship is beyond belief really.
Bilic now says he is alarmed at the goals conceded so far........that is a worry for me with the players we have and he selects - dos he think we would be nice and solid at the back and give our forward players a chance?

No matter how well we do with MP GD and CR we will always concede.

We don’t have a goal scorer / striker and we have a poor defence - we are going down.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2020, 10:08:11 AM »
I went for love the Albion whatever, because that's true.

However at this moment in time, while I consider myself generally an optimist, the glass is smashed and on the floor.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music