Author Topic: Nathan Ferguson Joins Crystal Palace  (Read 202317 times)

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Nathan Ferguson
« Reply #225 on: December 05, 2019, 12:27:47 PM »
I’m no expert on contracts, but could a 5 year contract be off-putting to his agent? Maybe a shorter 2 or 3 year contract would be better. If he did sign up to that, would this at least allow us to receive a better fee if foreign clubs come sniffing around?
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2019, 12:40:28 PM »
I’m no expert on contracts, but could a 5 year contract be off-putting to his agent? Maybe a shorter 2 or 3 year contract would be better. If he did sign up to that, would this at least allow us to receive a better fee if foreign clubs come sniffing around?

I'm no expert either but a 5 year deal shouldn't be off-putting in any way. The player gets security should his career nosedive and the length of the deal in no way restricts his chance to move on should he wish to do so.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #227 on: December 05, 2019, 04:57:09 PM »
I'm no expert either but a 5 year deal shouldn't be off-putting in any way. The player gets security should his career nosedive and the length of the deal in no way restricts his chance to move on should he wish to do so.
The only downside to a longer term contract if a player wants to move, is that the buying club has to pay up the contract. If this puts a club off, then the agent stands to miss out on his pay off. Am I wrong in this assumption?
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #228 on: December 05, 2019, 05:31:54 PM »
The 5 year contract may well have a buy-out clause of course. I'd have thought that if the agent  or Ferguson wanted a shorter contract, then we'd adjust the offer.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #229 on: December 05, 2019, 10:40:52 PM »
The only downside to a longer term contract if a player wants to move, is that the buying club has to pay up the contract. If this puts a club off, then the agent stands to miss out on his pay off. Am I wrong in this assumption?

I think that is wrong but cannot be sure.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #230 on: December 06, 2019, 12:37:51 PM »
Think we should stretch the budget to keep this young man but don't put in release clause. Quality player who will be worth 10s of millions in a short few years.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #231 on: December 06, 2019, 03:02:44 PM »
Think we should stretch the budget to keep this young man but don't put in release clause. Quality player who will be worth 10s of millions in a short few years.

Why on earth would he agree to not have a release clause?  He and his agent hold
all the aces.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #232 on: December 06, 2019, 03:30:00 PM »
Why on earth would he agree to not have a release clause?  He and his agent hold
all the aces.

You'll be having us believe Nathan's got a head on his shoulders and his agent's giving him potentially sound advice next. We'll have none of this common sense talk around here if you don't mind. Thanks in advance  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #233 on: December 07, 2019, 10:24:17 AM »
all the aces.
if there looking for x amount and all the trappings and club agree to these demands, don't see problem in no release clause.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #234 on: December 07, 2019, 11:27:25 AM »
if there looking for x amount and all the trappings and club agree to these demands, don't see problem in no release clause.

In his situation there is no way that he should commit long term to a club of our size/status without a release clause.  We have to be realistic and accept where we are in the law of the jungle. He needs to know that if a big club comes with a big offer of a certain sum then we will not block it. It’s a win-win for us and will be necessary for us to agree on order to get him to sign a new contract.  Very few transfers of young stars like him at Championship level will get signed these days without release clauses.  I have spoken to two agent contacts who have confirmed exactly that.

The worrying thing here is that his agent is the same agent used by Berahino and Morrison, and there is no love lost between the agent and this club because of the blocking of Berahino’s Spurs move.  The agent in question is a bad egg, and that really doesn’t help us here. He’ll want a big payday in January or in the summer.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #235 on: December 07, 2019, 01:09:28 PM »
In his situation there is no way that he should commit long term to a club of our size/status without a release clause.  We have to be realistic and accept where we are in the law of the jungle. He needs to know that if a big club comes with a big offer of a certain sum then we will not block it. It’s a win-win for us and will be necessary for us to agree on order to get him to sign a new contract.  Very few transfers of young stars like him at Championship level will get signed these days without release clauses.  I have spoken to two agent contacts who have confirmed exactly that.

The worrying thing here is that his agent is the same agent used by Berahino and Morrison, and there is no love lost between the agent and this club because of the blocking of Berahino’s Spurs move.  The agent in question is a bad egg, and that really doesn’t help us here. He’ll want a big payday in January or in the summer.

If you're referring to the Nathan Ferguson represented by Global Sync (same as Berahino) he's 24 and plays central midfield for Crawley Town. I've only had a quick scan but I can't find anything relating to our Nathan Ferguson's agent online.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #236 on: December 07, 2019, 01:49:19 PM »
Phew, I would find it surprising if our academy lads were not actively discouraged from using certain agents
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #237 on: December 07, 2019, 05:14:18 PM »
If you're referring to the Nathan Ferguson represented by Global Sync (same as Berahino) he's 24 and plays central midfield for Crawley Town. I've only had a quick scan but I can't find anything relating to our Nathan Ferguson's agent online.

Thankfully you are correct.  Two different Nathan Fergusons!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #238 on: December 07, 2019, 06:51:38 PM »
Good news indeed
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

mr multivac

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #239 on: December 08, 2019, 08:50:40 AM »
 Tottenham linked again in today’s papers
If he hasn’t signed a new contract we must sell him in this window get a decent fee for him make sure there’s a good sell on clause , and move on ,concentrate on those who want to be here,

We don’t want to be losing out financially on yet another of our academy players

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #240 on: December 08, 2019, 09:44:35 AM »
I'd be furious with the board if they can't keep hold of this young lad, sending all the right signals that he's happy at club. Too many youngsters at Albion jump ship at first opportunity a packet of crisps and can of coke don't cut it anymore Dowling and Co better realise this.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #241 on: December 08, 2019, 10:27:33 AM »
A number of our younger players do seem to jump ship but how many of them go on to careers which are better than they would have had if they had stayed? Perhaps not all are as good as they/we feel they are or do they just go for a signing on fee at the advice of agents? We obviously have a valuation of them and offer what we feel appropriate before they leave. If they aren't prepared to stay with us for the contracts offered then probably our club don't think they are worth more.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #242 on: December 08, 2019, 11:03:17 AM »
A number of our younger players do seem to jump ship but how many of them go on to careers which are better than they would have had if they had stayed? Perhaps not all are as good as they/we feel they are or do they just go for a signing on fee at the advice of agents? We obviously have a valuation of them and offer what we feel appropriate before they leave. If they aren't prepared to stay with us for the contracts offered then probably our club don't think they are worth more.

In NF’s case to be fair he emerged from absolutely nowhere. He was worth peanuts in June and 6 months later he’s worth anything from £10m-£20m.  Very hard to evaluate his contract until now.  This doesn’t happen often.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #243 on: December 08, 2019, 11:05:49 AM »

A new song - “there’s only two Nathan Fergusons” surely awaits.

Wouldn’t be right in this PC day and age, but it reminds of when Andy Goram at Rangers was diagnosed as schizophrenic and the Celtic fans in the Old Firm game sand “There’s only two Andy Gorams”.   Well, I laughed at the time!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #244 on: December 10, 2019, 05:27:43 PM »
Been offered 20k per week over 5 years. He wants more.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #245 on: December 10, 2019, 05:41:45 PM »

I think I'd offer more to secure his signature taking into account a replacement (if needed) and his market valuation in a coupe of years, we would recoupthe outlay in my view.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #246 on: December 10, 2019, 05:44:41 PM »

Plenty that, especially if it flexes up on promotion.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #247 on: December 10, 2019, 05:48:49 PM »
Yes he's been told it will increase if promoted but he's keeping his options open apparently according to The Athletic. Same for Kyle Edwards but he's got a year option in our favour.

Bilic looking to loan Harper out as well.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #248 on: December 10, 2019, 05:53:52 PM »

Plenty that, especially if it flexes up on promotion.

But isn't he able to leave at the end of the season? Bit late to flex up then
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #249 on: December 10, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »
But isn't he able to leave at the end of the season? Bit late to flex up then
the flex up is in the new contract, not the current one.