Author Topic: Atmosphere at Home Games  (Read 5471 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Atmosphere at Home Games
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2024, 08:15:24 AM »
I'm in the big city - Sydney!

what's atmosphere like in Australian stadiums, been watching the current series of MAFS lol
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2024, 02:03:32 PM »
Interesting that we have this thread, but a number of posters have referred to other teams new stadiums as “soulless bowls”
It’s the fans that make the atmosphere…not the stadium designers.
Interesting point, but I don't think the home atmosphere would be any better if it was inside a typical 'identikit bowl'.  In a bowl the crowd is further from the pitch. Its not just the modern ones. The old Stamford Bridge had a running track or something around the pitch and Chelsea made a point of re-designing their stadium closer to the pitch. If you look at the stadiums where the crowd is closest to the pitch, that definitely gives their teams an edge.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2024, 04:47:54 PM »
By reading the other comments on this thread, I'm glad that other Baggies feel the same way.

It was when BTA missed that clear cut chance in the first half (who, may I remind people, made that goalscoring chance himself) and the outpouring of pure venom that came from a section of 'fans' near me was unpleasant to say the least. He had a poor game, for sure, and we all know he is not up to the standard to lead a line and score 20+ goals for a promotion-chasing team but he's one of us. Give him some support.

Another one from Saturday: screaming at Palmer, one of our better performers this season, swearing at him, for passing the ball out to the CBs but then repeating this for when he hits it long and finds one of their players or the touchline. When will some people understand that this is how we play now - it isn't going to change.

Trust the manager, back the players and enjoy what has been a season above all expectations. The players are a likeable bunch, giving it their all for the shirt and we've had plenty of groups, especially in recent history, where that simply has not been the case.

the other AJ

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2024, 07:40:05 AM »
I'm in the big city - Sydney!
Perth lad here and we have a West Brom supporters group, check out my profile picture!
One of my mates set up his own business down here and named it after the Albion.
Baggie Down Under 🙃

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2024, 08:50:38 AM »
Perth lad here and we have a West Brom supporters group, check out my profile picture!
One of my mates set up his own business down here and named it after the Albion.

Nice one. My best mate lived 'just down the road' from Perth by Australian standards. Mandurah. Never had the pleasure of going but it looked lovely. Anyway, Stoke today..........  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2024, 09:11:27 AM »

As it happens I’m not visiting Perth or Sydney as is currently planned although if I can find cheap flights from east to west coast I may. We’re spending just under 4 weeks with my partners sister in the Goldie (not Surfers Paradise area, it’s actually pretty nice!)

Sorry other mods and admins, I’m detailing the topic, so hypocritical
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2024, 12:07:09 PM »
Atmos has been mixed but the Leeds and Wolves were white hot at times. Play offs will be too, I've no doubt.

Is a mix of a few factors for me. Not going to criticise CC as think he's great, but we have a lot of possession on the halfway line in midfield/defence. Ground won't be bouncing when we spend 20 mins per game in those kind of situations.

Excluding bits of fun under Moore + Bilic, most of the last 10 years has been bleak. Lai, Pulis, Pardew, Ismael, Bruce all corrosive to atmosphere in their own way. The ground has seen few successes together in recent years. Promotions, avoiding relegations, big derby wins, etc - momentum/high stakes are massive for atmosphere. I remember Hodgson's first 6 months in 2011 being special for that. Underdogs, high stakes, belief we had a good team and a great manager. Special times atmosphere wise.

Some aspects of the match day experience are currently very stale. Rubbish beer, rubbish food options/quality in the stadium.

Mentioned a few times on Goldberg/Lepkowski podcast that the week-to-week attendance of the £23 junior season tickets hasn't been great. Explains the empty seats dotted around all over the place, even when 'sold out'. Think that has an impact on atmosphere.

Can see them revamping that - needs doing, financially and from an atmos perspective. It's a great initiative but maybe capping the numbers at 750 at that price, or similar.

All these things add up. Hopefully new owner, new momentum and the start of better things atmosphere wise.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 11:27:14 PM by tlms-p23 »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2024, 02:32:18 PM »
Agree about the 23quid tickets a great gesture but in reality a mistake. Need canning next season
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2024, 08:54:12 PM »
Agree about the 23quid tickets a great gesture but in reality a mistake. Need canning next season

Our fanbase is one of the oldest, so something needs to be done to get the youngs one in.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2024, 09:22:15 PM »
Our fanbase is one of the oldest, so something needs to be done to get the youngs one in.

It's not getting them in though. For example, last season my brother renewed my nieces season ticket at £23 without renewing his own, as it was only £3 more than buying a membership, I believe. The ticket never got used once. I'm sure this isn't a one off. I agree the younger generation needs encouraging but these season tickets are too cheap. Maybe up them to £50 a season ticket and throw a couple of kids for a quid games in throughout the season? If we do somehow go up they might get scrapped altogether anyway.
Allllllll aboard

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2024, 10:22:58 PM »
It's not getting them in though. For example, last season my brother renewed my nieces season ticket at £23 without renewing his own, as it was only £3 more than buying a membership, I believe. The ticket never got used once. I'm sure this isn't a one off. I agree the younger generation needs encouraging but these season tickets are too cheap. Maybe up them to £50 a season ticket and throw a couple of kids for a quid games in throughout the season? If we do somehow go up they might get scrapped altogether anyway.
So removing it will get them through?
I got season tickets (again) for my two, they can’t get to every game because the midweek late kick offs are too late for kids that are aged 9 and 6 ….however if we are really saying that the atmosphere is reliant on under 14’s then we really do have a problem don’t we ?

Has anyone considered that the measures to make Football grounds a “nice environment” has actually neutralised the atmosphere ?
The Leeds, blues and particularly the dingles games were really good for atmosphere…anybody think it is literally down to the fact that the gloves were off?, play the liquidator, chant at the opposition fans wind each other up….
Today away at Stoke, a really good atmosphere in the away end…and once they had scored they added to it …lots of chanting, noise and general banter…..maybe not so many people texting the number on the big screen in case some naughty person had said something that makes poor didums upset because they wanted to identify has a cross dressing giraffe …..

Maybe just maybe the do-Gooders have eroded the fun ?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 11:19:27 PM by zippyandbungle »
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2024, 10:53:27 PM »
The atmosphere has nothing to do with beer and pies sold and the £23 kids season tickets.

Imo the Brummie and Smethwick decide the atmosphere and if they don't instigate it, it isn't going to happen from the Halfords or East stand.

My earlier comment above was to do with how we seem to have more vilesque fans today who think we should be winning 3 nil after 60 seconds and romp this division.

I think the atmosphere, as in the singing, is the same as always, some games are more lively than others and a lot depends on the opposing fans and what is happening on the pitch.

the other AJ

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2024, 07:19:18 AM »
Nice one. My best mate lived 'just down the road' from Perth by Australian standards. Mandurah. Never had the pleasure of going but it looked lovely. Anyway, Stoke today..........  ;) .
Cheers Dan. Mandurah is a great spot, however the locals can get a bit lively at times…😛
Baggie Down Under 🙃

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2024, 07:37:07 AM »
Agree with the comment that the £23 season tickets are too cheap.

Great idea and it's vital to attract young people of course, but at a quid a game they won't think twice to miss games.

Not saying we put them up to £250 or whatever but, as always, there's a better middle ground to be found in my opinion.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2024, 08:25:17 AM »
I think conflating atmosphere with young person season tickets is possibly the wrong way of looking at things. I was under the impression that the 16-25 age group was seen as an area where the club did poorly in attracting fans, and hence the business decision to release those season tickets.

That, to me, is a long term, strategic decision to attract fans over multiple years. Maybe in their first year they only come 5 times, but with a cheaper price they come back in year two. Eventually they'll age out into full adult prices, and by that point they've hopefully developed enough bond to either commit to an adult season ticket, or they will pick and choose for multiple matches a season, but at least you've brought in a fan who might otherwise have been put off attending.

He/him

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2024, 02:13:32 PM »
Open question. Does anyone decrying the atmosphere actually try and do anything about it? As in actively participate? Or do you just sit there tutting and waiting for the atmosphere to happen around you?

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2024, 07:00:26 PM »
So removing it will get them through?
I got season tickets (again) for my two, they can’t get to every game because the midweek late kick offs are too late for kids that are aged 9 and 6 ….however if we are really saying that the atmosphere is reliant on under 14’s then we really do have a problem don’t we ?

Has anyone considered that the measures to make Football grounds a “nice environment” has actually neutralised the atmosphere ?
The Leeds, blues and particularly the dingles games were really good for atmosphere…anybody think it is literally down to the fact that the gloves were off?, play the liquidator, chant at the opposition fans wind each other up….
Today away at Stoke, a really good atmosphere in the away end…and once they had scored they added to it …lots of chanting, noise and general banter…..maybe not so many people texting the number on the big screen in case some naughty person had said something that makes poor didums upset because they wanted to identify has a cross dressing giraffe …..

Maybe just maybe the do-Gooders have eroded the fun ?

No that wasn't what I was getting at. I meant that these cheap season tickets for kids are contributing to there being lots of empty seats at 'sold out' games as they aren't always being used.

Allllllll aboard

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2024, 11:44:26 PM »
The Smethwick End has never helped the atmosphere. If that stand was an away stand and our lot from there were relocated to the Brummie you'd have one hell of a loud and vibrant home end.

The noise is too fragmented now, two ends of the ground singing different songs at the same time and singing parts of the same songs out of time with each other. That and the fact that the two stands create a bit of a them and us situation (albeit in a friendly way).

It means we're not working together and that's never good in any way of life.

Of course there's nothing we can do about this situation at the moment the way the stadium is as it is but it's possible with stadium redevelopment / expansion, but that's another issue.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 11:52:02 PM by Atomic »

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2024, 04:17:40 AM »
I disagree, as a ES neutral, it's the Smethwick that gets the singing going and that friendly banter you refer to, which I assume is the ", going down the Brummie rd for some peace and quiet" is what usually awakens the Brummie rd.

A lot of teams don't like the away fans behind the goal, as they seem it as giving them to much support and so they put them in their side stands.

If we did redevelop the ground I would rather us give them part of the Halfords, possibly half the lower tier, if we build the fabled upper tier.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2024, 05:59:11 AM »
Unfortunately you won't find many threads about this topic as we had to ban them due to all the childish bickering and arguing that the thread descended into.

3 - Atmosphere, sitting/ standing, Brummie/ Smethwick and Rangers/ Celtic topics will automatically be removed from the site as they are amongst the most common problems.

Hopefully as its been a while now since we've had any people can discuss them like adults again.

Just reiterating Oldbury's earlier post, especially the bit I've bolded. Hopefully everyone can have a sensible discussion.

He/him

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2024, 07:05:49 AM »
The Smethwick End has never helped the atmosphere.........

Files alongside 'Townsend is the best one on one left fullback in the division'  ;) .

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2024, 07:51:47 AM »
I disagree, as a ES neutral, it's the Smethwick that gets the singing going and that friendly banter you refer to, which I assume is the ", going down the Brummie rd for some peace and quiet" is what usually awakens the Brummie rd.

A lot of teams don't like the away fans behind the goal, as they seem it as giving them to much support and so they put them in their side stands.

If we did redevelop the ground I would rather us give them part of the Halfords, possibly half the lower tier, if we build the fabled upper tier.

You can't put them in the Halfords because logistically it's a nightmare given the location of the train station and the parking of coaches.

The alternative to the Smethwick for away fans is the East Stand Smethwick side.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2024, 09:35:32 AM »
Files alongside 'Townsend is the best one on one left fullback in the division'  ;) .

Now, now don't get shirty just because you'd have to give up your seat. You could come and sit near to me in the Halfords. At your age its about time you got your flask out and started sitting with a blanket over your knees anyway.  ;D ;)

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2024, 09:41:22 AM »
You can't put them in the Halfords because logistically it's a nightmare given the location of the train station and the parking of coaches.

The alternative to the Smethwick for away fans is the East Stand Smethwick side.

No thank you ...............give away supporters the best seats in the ground?
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2024, 10:10:24 AM »
Now, now don't get shirty just because you'd have to give up your seat. You could come and sit near to me in the Halfords. At your age its about time you got your flask out and started sitting with a blanket over your knees anyway.  ;D ;)

Fair enough. In the interests of compromise I'd be willing to give this a go....... if they introduce safe standing in the Halfords and leave Johnny on the Drum where he is. Ps, blankets are for the wife to curl up under on the settee and flasks are for flinging  8) .