Author Topic: Atmosphere at Home Games  (Read 5021 times)

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

Atmosphere at Home Games
« on: April 01, 2024, 08:15:41 PM »
A frustrating game today, for sure. The performance, like the first half of Millwall, wasn't anywhere near the level, with the majority of the XI nowhere near their best.

However, I am finding it really difficult with large sections of 'fans' around my seat. I appreciate that the Albion can be a place to let off some steam from a week at work; and when there is time to give criticism at games, I'm one of the first. With our superb home record, I get the impression people just turn up and expect us to win, but teams like Watford are littered with Premier League players - they just lack consistency.

BTA has huge limitations as a footballer and he should have buried that one in the first half. Yet, even after he scored an excellent goal to get us back in the game, when he misplaced a simple ball, there were people swearing and screaming for him to be taken off. I'm also no Adam Reach fan but to boo an Albion player coming on, when we're 5th in the league? I find it really difficult to sit and listen to. Funnily enough, he actually played quite well.

Wondering if I am the only one here?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 04:40:26 PM by CL3MO »

albion59

• Senior Baggie

Re: Atmosphere at Home Games
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 08:39:10 PM »
A frustrating game today, for sure. The performance, like the first half of Millwall, wasn't anywhere near the level, with the majority of the XI nowhere near their best.

However, I am finding it really difficult with large sections of 'fans' around my seat. I appreciate that the Albion can be a place to let off some steam from a week at work; and when there is time to give criticism at games, I'm one of the first. With our superb home record, I get the impression people just turn up and expect us to win, but teams like Watford are littered with Premier League players - they just lack consistency.

BTA has huge limitations as a footballer and he should have buried that one in the first half. Yet, even after he scored an excellent goal to get us back in the game, when he misplaced a simple ball, there were people swearing and screaming for him to be taken off. I'm also no Adam Reach fan but to boo an Albion player coming on, when we're 5th in the league? I find it really difficult to sit and listen to. Funnily enough, he actually played quite well.

Mods: I tried to find a relevant thread but this may need moving?
Just read some of the posts in the in game thread! The people who boo, jeer, swear and abuse our players at the ground are no different to the people on here, and it's always the same ones, Sad really.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 09:54:04 PM »
Unfortunately you won't find many threads about this topic as we had to ban them due to all the childish bickering and arguing that the thread descended into.

3 - Atmosphere, sitting/ standing, Brummie/ Smethwick and Rangers/ Celtic topics will automatically be removed from the site as they are amongst the most common problems.

Hopefully as its been a while now since we've had any people can discuss them like adults again.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 10:44:54 PM »
Just read some of the posts in the in game thread! The people who boo, jeer, swear and abuse our players at the ground are no different to the people on here, and it's always the same ones, Sad really.

I love this forum but the in game thread that you refer to is consistently the most annoying one to me. If we are not 2 goals up before half time the criticism just flows and flows.
Back on thread, the atmosphere at the ground today was very flat. To be totally honest, it’s rarely any different.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 01:12:21 AM »
The mid 20's chap infront of me let Asante have it for a miss shouting "you're absolutely sh??, why are you so sh??  Asante".

An absolute disgraceful show of "support", and paying no regard to how the game is going.

The hypocrisy from this "fan" when he banged one in was a sight to see.

Same chap shouted "Skin him to Reach" later in the game.

Some people see something others don't.

I have never abused our team of players at games, but we do have more vile like supporters than we have ever had, and I think it is because they never really knew the dark third tier times and just remember the 8 consecutive years in the prem.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 06:53:14 AM »
The mid 20's chap infront of me let Asante have it for a miss shouting "you're absolutely sh??, why are you so sh??  Asante".

An absolute disgraceful show of "support", and paying no regard to how the game is going.

I have never abused our team of players at games, but we do have more vile like supporters than we have ever had, and I think it is because they never really knew the dark third tier times and just remember the 8 consecutive years in the prem.

Spot on

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 11:16:15 AM »

Mods: I tried to find a relevant thread but this may need moving?

I completely agree with this.

At one point yesterday Palmer had the ball waiting for movement and someone a couple rows in front of me was going crazy for him to kick the ball and hurry up, then as soon as he aimlessly kicked the ball up the field he went mad. We clearly have a way that CC wants us to play with passing it out from the back but as soon as we are losing i really find it frustrating to be there sometimes because some fans make it more nervous for the players with the constant groaning and shouting.
Smethwick..

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 11:51:20 AM »
Absolutely right.  If you're going to a match to support the Albion, support them, encourage them and don't destroy their confidence.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

BagAlbion123

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 12:11:12 PM »
I will admit I do slate players quite a bit at home watching on the box but never at the games it's just fruitless like others have said you're there to support

tegga

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 12:39:31 PM »
It's the worse part of day for me when the atmosphere is flat.

It's like the supporters are waiting for the first goal to go in before they can make any noise. I just wish everyone would join in and back the team before we score, that's when it's needed.

Regarding supporters moaning and all that, I think football supporters  are the same no matter who they support. It just needs the rest of us to shout encouragement.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 09:01:46 AM »
the pulis effect still lingers , its what killed it for me. just a happy/angry armchair supporter now. i wouldn't even be gutted if i couldn't get a play off final ticket but i would imagine everyone who wanted to go would get one anyway. all this after passionately following home and away, pre seasons everywhere for 40 years, 20 of them from down here in devon. i still support the club financially too
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 09:10:34 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2024, 10:30:43 AM »
Sort of on subject - after the Plymouth game I was walking back to the train and rather than celebrating the 3-0 win away from and a cracking 2nd half performance a group of men behind us were complaining about John Swift wearing gloves. They were saying all this while wearing coats, woolie hats and GLOVES. I said to my dad “say the men in hats and gloves” and then my dad turned around and said “great performance 2nd half though wasn’t it?!” And then the conversation went positive.

Some people just want to be negative. And if you watch the old Soccer AM sketch - I think it was called “The optimistic Baggies” or something it involved Fenners and another finding negatives in anything from lottery wins to buying good players. It’s a character type attributed to people from the Blackcountry by others so there must be something in it. I certainly notice it when travelling from Cornwall (most of us here are chilled and upbeat!) to West Brom.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2024, 10:39:12 AM »
Sort of on subject - after the Plymouth game I was walking back to the train and rather than celebrating the 3-0 win away from and a cracking 2nd half performance a group of men behind us were complaining about John Swift wearing gloves. They were saying all this while wearing coats, woolie hats and GLOVES. I said to my dad “say the men in hats and gloves” and then my dad turned around and said “great performance 2nd half though wasn’t it?!” And then the conversation went positive.

Some people just want to be negative. And if you watch the old Soccer AM sketch - I think it was called “The optimistic Baggies” or something it involved Fenners and another finding negatives in anything from lottery wins to buying good players. It’s a character type attributed to people from the Blackcountry by others so there must be something in it. I certainly notice it when travelling from Cornwall (most of us here are chilled and upbeat!) to West Brom.

By that logic are you suggesting there's some truth behind the image that the Cornish are thick interbred pagans with a deep distrust of outsiders, if so you're probably not very popular with the locals you work alongside ;D  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2024, 11:25:51 AM »
No way of proving it scientifically, but have long had the feeling that it is quieter for longer periods at the Hawthorns than in many other grounds. Even when the team's playing all right. Maybe even more so then.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2024, 11:55:04 AM »
Somebody earlier mentioned the Pulis era.

It was around that time that I started to really watch the game, I was trying to understand what was being played out tactically.

I now tend to watch what's going on off the ball as well as on it, & with the help of some of the more knowledgeable forum members, I can now see a 3,5,2 : 4,1,4,1 attacking & 5,3,2 defending formations, together with controlled straight lines at the back.
I can see the point of moving the ball across the back line to pull opposing players out of positiion, & watch our midfield players moving into the space  created to receive the ball.

Personally, I find it really difficult to take that all in if I'm singing & shouting, so from my point of view I'm quiet because I'm in study mode, not because I'm bored
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2024, 12:03:35 PM »
I can see the online trending now, #Hawthorns_StudentsoftheGame  8) .

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2024, 12:26:38 PM »

"skin him" isn't derogatory, its no different to shouting "take him on"

I get your point otherwise
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2024, 03:15:44 PM »
By that logic are you suggesting there's some truth behind the image that the Cornish are thick interbred pagans with a deep distrust of outsiders, if so you're probably not very popular with the locals you work alongside ;D  ;) .

100% true!  :D and I live in Redruth, 2nd to Camborne only in backwardsness.

My self derogatory humour is often lost down here.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2024, 10:21:30 PM »
100% true! :D and I live in Redruth, 2nd to Camborne only in backwardsness.

Thought so, don't tell them about the Internet though.

You'll end up in a made to measure 'WickaMon' suit.

With flames  ;) .

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2024, 02:26:20 AM »
100% true!  :D and I live in Redruth, 2nd to Camborne only in backwardsness.

Amazing you should say you live in Redruth.  Have you lived there all  your life?
The reason I am asking is that I have been doing some internet movie browsing and came upon the Wiki page of actress Kristin Scott Thomas and it says she was born in Redruth!

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2024, 06:18:52 AM »
"skin him" isn't derogatory, its no different to shouting "take him on"

I get your point otherwise

I know it isn't, I was highlighting him saying the absurd, because Reach couldn't peel the skin off a potato, let alone a an opposition player.

Which I then clarified by saying some fans see a different game.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2024, 09:17:03 AM »
I know it isn't, I was highlighting him saying the absurd, because Reach couldn't peel the skin off a potato, let alone a an opposition player.

Which I then clarified by saying some fans see a different game.

Ok, I mis-understood then, won't be the last time  :'(
Albion Family !!!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2024, 05:14:45 PM »
Interesting that we have this thread, but a number of posters have referred to other teams new stadiums as “soulless bowls”
It’s the fans that make the atmosphere…not the stadium designers.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2024, 07:27:34 PM »
Amazing you should say you live in Redruth.  Have you lived there all  your life?
The reason I am asking is that I have been doing some internet movie browsing and came upon the Wiki page of actress Kristin Scott Thomas and it says she was born in Redruth!

I’ve lived here or nearby since the age of 7. Before that it was Selly Oak.

Where are you in Aus? I’m going out there in July.

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2024, 03:20:48 AM »
I’ve lived here or nearby since the age of 7. Before that it was Selly Oak.

Where are you in Aus? I’m going out there in July.

I'm in the big city - Sydney!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2024, 08:15:24 AM »

what's atmosphere like in Australian stadiums, been watching the current series of MAFS lol

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2024, 02:03:32 PM »
Interesting that we have this thread, but a number of posters have referred to other teams new stadiums as “soulless bowls”
It’s the fans that make the atmosphere…not the stadium designers.
Interesting point, but I don't think the home atmosphere would be any better if it was inside a typical 'identikit bowl'.  In a bowl the crowd is further from the pitch. Its not just the modern ones. The old Stamford Bridge had a running track or something around the pitch and Chelsea made a point of re-designing their stadium closer to the pitch. If you look at the stadiums where the crowd is closest to the pitch, that definitely gives their teams an edge.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2024, 04:47:54 PM »
By reading the other comments on this thread, I'm glad that other Baggies feel the same way.

It was when BTA missed that clear cut chance in the first half (who, may I remind people, made that goalscoring chance himself) and the outpouring of pure venom that came from a section of 'fans' near me was unpleasant to say the least. He had a poor game, for sure, and we all know he is not up to the standard to lead a line and score 20+ goals for a promotion-chasing team but he's one of us. Give him some support.

Another one from Saturday: screaming at Palmer, one of our better performers this season, swearing at him, for passing the ball out to the CBs but then repeating this for when he hits it long and finds one of their players or the touchline. When will some people understand that this is how we play now - it isn't going to change.

Trust the manager, back the players and enjoy what has been a season above all expectations. The players are a likeable bunch, giving it their all for the shirt and we've had plenty of groups, especially in recent history, where that simply has not been the case.

the other AJ

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2024, 07:40:05 AM »
Perth lad here and we have a West Brom supporters group, check out my profile picture!
One of my mates set up his own business down here and named it after the Albion.
Baggie Down Under 🙃

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2024, 08:50:38 AM »
Perth lad here and we have a West Brom supporters group, check out my profile picture!
One of my mates set up his own business down here and named it after the Albion.

Nice one. My best mate lived 'just down the road' from Perth by Australian standards. Mandurah. Never had the pleasure of going but it looked lovely. Anyway, Stoke today..........  ;) .

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2024, 09:11:27 AM »

As it happens I’m not visiting Perth or Sydney as is currently planned although if I can find cheap flights from east to west coast I may. We’re spending just under 4 weeks with my partners sister in the Goldie (not Surfers Paradise area, it’s actually pretty nice!)

Sorry other mods and admins, I’m detailing the topic, so hypocritical

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2024, 12:07:09 PM »
Atmos has been mixed but the Leeds and Wolves were white hot at times. Play offs will be too, I've no doubt.

Is a mix of a few factors for me. Not going to criticise CC as think he's great, but we have a lot of possession on the halfway line in midfield/defence. Ground won't be bouncing when we spend 20 mins per game in those kind of situations.

Excluding bits of fun under Moore + Bilic, most of the last 10 years has been bleak. Lai, Pulis, Pardew, Ismael, Bruce all corrosive to atmosphere in their own way. The ground has seen few successes together in recent years. Promotions, avoiding relegations, big derby wins, etc - momentum/high stakes are massive for atmosphere. I remember Hodgson's first 6 months in 2011 being special for that. Underdogs, high stakes, belief we had a good team and a great manager. Special times atmosphere wise.

Some aspects of the match day experience are currently very stale. Rubbish beer, rubbish food options/quality in the stadium.

Mentioned a few times on Goldberg/Lepkowski podcast that the week-to-week attendance of the £23 junior season tickets hasn't been great. Explains the empty seats dotted around all over the place, even when 'sold out'. Think that has an impact on atmosphere.

Can see them revamping that - needs doing, financially and from an atmos perspective. It's a great initiative but maybe capping the numbers at 750 at that price, or similar.

All these things add up. Hopefully new owner, new momentum and the start of better things atmosphere wise.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 11:27:14 PM by tlms-p23 »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2024, 02:32:18 PM »
Agree about the 23quid tickets a great gesture but in reality a mistake. Need canning next season
Albion Family !!!

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2024, 08:54:12 PM »
Agree about the 23quid tickets a great gesture but in reality a mistake. Need canning next season

Our fanbase is one of the oldest, so something needs to be done to get the youngs one in.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2024, 09:22:15 PM »
Our fanbase is one of the oldest, so something needs to be done to get the youngs one in.

It's not getting them in though. For example, last season my brother renewed my nieces season ticket at £23 without renewing his own, as it was only £3 more than buying a membership, I believe. The ticket never got used once. I'm sure this isn't a one off. I agree the younger generation needs encouraging but these season tickets are too cheap. Maybe up them to £50 a season ticket and throw a couple of kids for a quid games in throughout the season? If we do somehow go up they might get scrapped altogether anyway.
Allllllll aboard

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2024, 10:22:58 PM »
It's not getting them in though. For example, last season my brother renewed my nieces season ticket at £23 without renewing his own, as it was only £3 more than buying a membership, I believe. The ticket never got used once. I'm sure this isn't a one off. I agree the younger generation needs encouraging but these season tickets are too cheap. Maybe up them to £50 a season ticket and throw a couple of kids for a quid games in throughout the season? If we do somehow go up they might get scrapped altogether anyway.
So removing it will get them through?
I got season tickets (again) for my two, they can’t get to every game because the midweek late kick offs are too late for kids that are aged 9 and 6 ….however if we are really saying that the atmosphere is reliant on under 14’s then we really do have a problem don’t we ?

Has anyone considered that the measures to make Football grounds a “nice environment” has actually neutralised the atmosphere ?
The Leeds, blues and particularly the dingles games were really good for atmosphere…anybody think it is literally down to the fact that the gloves were off?, play the liquidator, chant at the opposition fans wind each other up….
Today away at Stoke, a really good atmosphere in the away end…and once they had scored they added to it …lots of chanting, noise and general banter…..maybe not so many people texting the number on the big screen in case some naughty person had said something that makes poor didums upset because they wanted to identify has a cross dressing giraffe …..

Maybe just maybe the do-Gooders have eroded the fun ?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 11:19:27 PM by zippyandbungle »
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2024, 10:53:27 PM »
The atmosphere has nothing to do with beer and pies sold and the £23 kids season tickets.

Imo the Brummie and Smethwick decide the atmosphere and if they don't instigate it, it isn't going to happen from the Halfords or East stand.

My earlier comment above was to do with how we seem to have more vilesque fans today who think we should be winning 3 nil after 60 seconds and romp this division.

I think the atmosphere, as in the singing, is the same as always, some games are more lively than others and a lot depends on the opposing fans and what is happening on the pitch.

the other AJ

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2024, 07:19:18 AM »
Nice one. My best mate lived 'just down the road' from Perth by Australian standards. Mandurah. Never had the pleasure of going but it looked lovely. Anyway, Stoke today..........  ;) .
Cheers Dan. Mandurah is a great spot, however the locals can get a bit lively at times…😛
Baggie Down Under 🙃

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2024, 07:37:07 AM »
Agree with the comment that the £23 season tickets are too cheap.

Great idea and it's vital to attract young people of course, but at a quid a game they won't think twice to miss games.

Not saying we put them up to £250 or whatever but, as always, there's a better middle ground to be found in my opinion.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2024, 08:25:17 AM »
I think conflating atmosphere with young person season tickets is possibly the wrong way of looking at things. I was under the impression that the 16-25 age group was seen as an area where the club did poorly in attracting fans, and hence the business decision to release those season tickets.

That, to me, is a long term, strategic decision to attract fans over multiple years. Maybe in their first year they only come 5 times, but with a cheaper price they come back in year two. Eventually they'll age out into full adult prices, and by that point they've hopefully developed enough bond to either commit to an adult season ticket, or they will pick and choose for multiple matches a season, but at least you've brought in a fan who might otherwise have been put off attending.

He/him

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2024, 02:13:32 PM »
Open question. Does anyone decrying the atmosphere actually try and do anything about it? As in actively participate? Or do you just sit there tutting and waiting for the atmosphere to happen around you?

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2024, 07:00:26 PM »
So removing it will get them through?
I got season tickets (again) for my two, they can’t get to every game because the midweek late kick offs are too late for kids that are aged 9 and 6 ….however if we are really saying that the atmosphere is reliant on under 14’s then we really do have a problem don’t we ?

Has anyone considered that the measures to make Football grounds a “nice environment” has actually neutralised the atmosphere ?
The Leeds, blues and particularly the dingles games were really good for atmosphere…anybody think it is literally down to the fact that the gloves were off?, play the liquidator, chant at the opposition fans wind each other up….
Today away at Stoke, a really good atmosphere in the away end…and once they had scored they added to it …lots of chanting, noise and general banter…..maybe not so many people texting the number on the big screen in case some naughty person had said something that makes poor didums upset because they wanted to identify has a cross dressing giraffe …..

Maybe just maybe the do-Gooders have eroded the fun ?

No that wasn't what I was getting at. I meant that these cheap season tickets for kids are contributing to there being lots of empty seats at 'sold out' games as they aren't always being used.

Allllllll aboard

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2024, 11:44:26 PM »
The Smethwick End has never helped the atmosphere. If that stand was an away stand and our lot from there were relocated to the Brummie you'd have one hell of a loud and vibrant home end.

The noise is too fragmented now, two ends of the ground singing different songs at the same time and singing parts of the same songs out of time with each other. That and the fact that the two stands create a bit of a them and us situation (albeit in a friendly way).

It means we're not working together and that's never good in any way of life.

Of course there's nothing we can do about this situation at the moment the way the stadium is as it is but it's possible with stadium redevelopment / expansion, but that's another issue.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 11:52:02 PM by Atomic »

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2024, 04:17:40 AM »
I disagree, as a ES neutral, it's the Smethwick that gets the singing going and that friendly banter you refer to, which I assume is the ", going down the Brummie rd for some peace and quiet" is what usually awakens the Brummie rd.

A lot of teams don't like the away fans behind the goal, as they seem it as giving them to much support and so they put them in their side stands.

If we did redevelop the ground I would rather us give them part of the Halfords, possibly half the lower tier, if we build the fabled upper tier.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2024, 05:59:11 AM »
Unfortunately you won't find many threads about this topic as we had to ban them due to all the childish bickering and arguing that the thread descended into.

3 - Atmosphere, sitting/ standing, Brummie/ Smethwick and Rangers/ Celtic topics will automatically be removed from the site as they are amongst the most common problems.

Hopefully as its been a while now since we've had any people can discuss them like adults again.

Just reiterating Oldbury's earlier post, especially the bit I've bolded. Hopefully everyone can have a sensible discussion.

He/him

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2024, 07:05:49 AM »
The Smethwick End has never helped the atmosphere.........

Files alongside 'Townsend is the best one on one left fullback in the division'  ;) .

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2024, 07:51:47 AM »
I disagree, as a ES neutral, it's the Smethwick that gets the singing going and that friendly banter you refer to, which I assume is the ", going down the Brummie rd for some peace and quiet" is what usually awakens the Brummie rd.

A lot of teams don't like the away fans behind the goal, as they seem it as giving them to much support and so they put them in their side stands.

If we did redevelop the ground I would rather us give them part of the Halfords, possibly half the lower tier, if we build the fabled upper tier.

You can't put them in the Halfords because logistically it's a nightmare given the location of the train station and the parking of coaches.

The alternative to the Smethwick for away fans is the East Stand Smethwick side.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2024, 09:35:32 AM »
Files alongside 'Townsend is the best one on one left fullback in the division'  ;) .

Now, now don't get shirty just because you'd have to give up your seat. You could come and sit near to me in the Halfords. At your age its about time you got your flask out and started sitting with a blanket over your knees anyway.  ;D ;)

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2024, 09:41:22 AM »
You can't put them in the Halfords because logistically it's a nightmare given the location of the train station and the parking of coaches.

The alternative to the Smethwick for away fans is the East Stand Smethwick side.

No thank you ...............give away supporters the best seats in the ground?
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2024, 10:10:24 AM »
Now, now don't get shirty just because you'd have to give up your seat. You could come and sit near to me in the Halfords. At your age its about time you got your flask out and started sitting with a blanket over your knees anyway.  ;D ;)

Fair enough. In the interests of compromise I'd be willing to give this a go....... if they introduce safe standing in the Halfords and leave Johnny on the Drum where he is. Ps, blankets are for the wife to curl up under on the settee and flasks are for flinging  8) .

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2024, 11:39:16 AM »
It obviously makes sense to encourage the next generation of (potential) supporters.

I wonder whether the youngsters might be influenced by the sort of pre-match entertainment they see from watching American Football on TV/stream - I know its all about razzmatazz and very little about actual playing, flowing  action .

I think all football clubs will need to try harder as the coming generation are not so used to the spartan fare that I experienced (gladly) when I first went to the Hawthorns.  At least it seemed easy to park and get to the ground.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2024, 07:19:20 AM »
Whatever happens kindly leave the flame bursts and fireworks etc. to the Dogheads.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2024, 01:48:09 PM »
It obviously makes sense to encourage the next generation of (potential) supporters.

I wonder whether the youngsters might be influenced by the sort of pre-match entertainment they see from watching American Football on TV/stream - I know its all about razzmatazz and very little about actual playing, flowing  action .

I think all football clubs will need to try harder as the coming generation are not so used to the spartan fare that I experienced (gladly) when I first went to the Hawthorns.  At least it seemed easy to park and get to the ground.
Even if we have an American owner, hope we don't see too much US style pre-match razamtazz etc. American Football, baseball etc have evolved differently to football as we know it, and part of the matchday experience here, is the typical football atmosphere in the stadiums.  That 'should' be mainly generated by the crowd and fans and not outside gimmicks.

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2024, 09:58:56 PM »
Can't think of a single ground in the country where more fans leave before full time than ours, regardless of win/draw/lose

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2024, 09:59:49 PM »
Can't think of a single ground in the country where more fans leave before full time than ours, regardless of win/draw/lose

You've not been to Spurs new ground! Them buggers sod off around 60 mins in

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2024, 10:13:56 PM »
12/2/2012. Molineux.

luke.jones1234

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2024, 07:26:42 AM »
I think our style of play doesn’t help the atmosphere,yes it’s a results business but how many games this season can you say you’ve been out of your seats with the football we play ,last night for example Rotherham rock bottom no away wins instead of going for the we were quite happy just passing it side wards and backwards !felt like a training game

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2024, 08:21:30 AM »
West hammers were leaving in droves at half time a few weeks ago

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2024, 08:55:32 AM »
quite possibly the worst atmosphere last night for many years, the times i use to get excited going to home games, now its a chore. hopefully it changes with whatever the new owner might have in store from next season

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2024, 09:20:05 AM »
I think our style of play doesn’t help the atmosphere,yes it’s a results business but how many games this season can you say you’ve been out of your seats with the football we play ,last night for example Rotherham rock bottom no away wins instead of going for the we were quite happy just passing it side wards and backwards !felt like a training game

I have to agree and it was one of the main reasons why I didn't renew this season. I find us boring to watch. It's at walking pace at the back most of the time. I appreciate that these are the tactics and we are getting results but I'd also like to be entertained too.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2024, 12:55:01 PM »
I have to agree and it was one of the main reasons why I didn't renew this season. I find us boring to watch. It's at walking pace at the back most of the time. I appreciate that these are the tactics and we are getting results but I'd also like to be entertained too.

As someone said in another thread, we are cutting our cloth to suit what we have. This is not the team that CC has put together, rather it is what he inherited. It isn't always exciting but neither is it Pulisesque.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2024, 02:26:16 PM »
Last night's game was like a friendly and the atmosphere was flat.

There was also ticket stewards waiting inside as you went through the turnstiles checking if adults were coming in using the £23 kids tickets.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2024, 09:37:04 AM »
Dear, dear, (self moderation there  ::)) the transport situation around the Hawthorns after a match is dire.  At the station Yesterday people were queueing back beyond the (very healthy  :( ) burger van on the bridge.  For those who park very close the ground all the roads were snarled up.
I saw the queue and, what with the result itself, had had enough.  The three of us walked to Galton Bridge and got there just in time to pick up the Stourbridge bound train.  Walked off a lot of frustration too.   Somehow the club needs to liaise with local transport - such as it is.

In the stadium, two out of the three of us we didn't buy anything because of the queues.
The East stand atmosphere was generally a little depressing, one felt almost embarrassed to shout.  A little lad in front of me was giving encouragement.  It was his first match; I gave him my programme.

On the match, I wasn't too surprised, I'd seen Sunderland stifle Leeds.  Dodds the next Pulis?

Hales Owen born. 

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2024, 11:14:09 AM »
I use the trains for home matches and it would be great if the club could liase with West Midland Trains to check out the feasibility of putting an additional service on after the matches, so starting from The Hawthorns station, something they (the train company) have done in the past at various times, particularly after the midweek home matches where anyone traveling in the Stourbridge / Kidderminster direction knows if you don't get the first one out in midweek you're lumbered with a long wait, one of the contributing reasons to supporters leaving the stadium early, something particularly noticeable for any midweek fixtures, and clearly so many fans leaving early doesn't help the atmosphere in the stadium. 

In the Birmingham direction there is the tram option, so supporters travelling to the city centre have two options but the majority of the Albion support does tend to use the other direction, hence the far larger queues.

Just one additional train, in addition to the normal services, would greatly ease the issues and it's not clear why the train company appear unable to do this for our Home matches when they have done it at various times in the past and something they did after the Wolves Cup match.

I do also personally feel the club should consider amending the KO times to midweek matches to 7.45pm, even on an experimental basis for maybe half a season.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 11:20:47 AM by Brummie Road »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2024, 12:07:22 PM »
The club have been in communication with the relevant bodies regarding public transport on a number of occasions. This has been well documented in the Albion Assembly minutes. Same goes with the roads. Re public transport I can't see ongoing industrial action helping matters moving nowhere.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2024, 02:41:51 PM »
You can't Kick Off at 19:45 currently due to the mess of the J1 island, until that is improved which I do believe Albion have raised the issue of it has to be 8PM, that comes down to Sandwell Council and Highways England.

Anyway onto the Atmosphere, before yesterday me and a few other blokes aged between there late twenties and Mid to late fourties with probably a bloke in there mid thirties have tried to get an Atmosphere going at Darlaston, going for the play Offs, we felt we needed a chant. It actually started before the last few games with just one chant Going down the Bentley Road copied of Albion and Walsall as I support Albion and the others did support Walsall and obviously we both sing walking down the Brummie Road/Wednesbury Road, so anyway we sang it and no one else would join in, so we felt weird now at first it was understandable we weren't sure if our current unbeaten run and push for the play Offs would amount. When it looked like it could we hoped more would join in. They didn't, now last Saturday we played 2nd place Lichfield and battered them 4-0 so we started to sing your rubbish and you know you are it was obviously not that word only to be sold to stop swearing. Now these blokes have young kids and have said at the Football they don't mind swearing on the bus or something yeah, but when Alochol is mixed with passion and the release of a week of work yeah it's fine. Now afterwards in the Bar I stated what's to stop me standing on my mates shed he lives behind and singing there. An old bloke then said I don't care if you swear there but I can stop you here. That really annoyed me as he is probably in his 60's or 70's and I'm In my 20's I wasn't being Thuggish I was being passionate. Anyway a bloke raised a point that these days at the Football everything is Liberal which back in the 90's meant the opposite of today, now more women and Children watch, which is fine but you should expect swearing.

My first Albion game was the 3rd Round of the FA Cup against Wigan under Big Dave, I sat in the East Stand and I remember the Smethwick or Brummie singing a song with swearing in and This kid sat behind me told his Mum Arrrgh Mum there swearing, the mum said they were naughty the kid looked about 10 and then she tuted. She had an Albion shirt on so surely knew that was the Smethwick they Swear then, If it was me myself I wouldn't sit in the East Stand, I would sit in the Smethwick or Brummie and if I did sit in the East I would sing the Liquidator, but because it is our family Stand I wouldn't swear. I also saw this season the game against Wolves a mother was moaning about the swearing and atmosphere. Me and my wolves supporting mate who was there both said yeah the scenes weren't nice but why would you take a young child to the first Black Country Derby in 12 years, he said he wouldn't take his future kids to one until they are at least 18. I said 16 as they should be mature enough if they aren't 18 if not 21.

I think the issue is people want to go to the football but see people my age up to there 40's who are passionate singing and giving abuse swigging a pint as Drunken loud mouth yobs and they don't expect it, they expect everyone to be friendly and not swearing. As someone said it is to Liberal now, Football for most blokes is the last place they can swear and abuse. Now abusing players I don't do, I wouldn't do it they are trying there best especially these lads, I said to someone Albion and Darlo are the same the players want to get into the Playoffs and you can tell feel down when they lose. But I can also see people might be angry after work want to watch the Albion and overstep the marks. Referees I wouldn't abuse for Race, Sex but if I was sat in the Brummie and he was getting abuse I would join in as long as it didn't go to far.

I think football now is a strange place you have people like me young lads who like to use it as a social gathering, talking about one of my passions whilst having a few drinks with My mates or people I get to know and then sing for 90 minutes and then you have people who expect it to be a family day out. Sadly both aspects can't agree and it kills the atmosphere or causes people to overstep the mark. I've always said I would tell my kids they could swear around me and at the Football, Lad or girl I would explain to them I won't take them to games against Villa or Wolves until there 16 or 18 maybe 18 to drink with there dad (me) but I would teach them the Liquidator and all the other chants. But sadly not everyone sees it like this
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2024, 03:11:32 PM »
Baggie Boy I'm 70 and I swear with the best of them before the year 2000 anything was fair game and it was a laugh.
Fast forward 20yrs and football is like being in church political correctness drives me bonkers.
As you say football is a place or used to be where you could let off steam after a week's graft for me it's lost it's soul which is one of the reasons I no longer attend but don't think it's a generational thing all those oldies around you have behaved far worse than you can imagine be sure of that.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2024, 05:29:08 PM »
Football has definitely moved away from its working class roots and become more mainstream, leading to a lot of people going who never used to back in the day.

The upshot is that these people don't want to be part of the atmosphere, they're there for a fun, family day out. They don't really understand the tribalism of football, and so you get this sanitised atmosphere where people don't want to sing.

That's not just with us, it's everywhere. Nowhere has the atmosphere it used to. That's why the away support tends to be louder, only the truly committed (or those that should be) travel away consistently.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2024, 05:33:43 PM »
Baggie Boy I'm 70 and I swear with the best of them before the year 2000 anything was fair game and it was a laugh.
Fast forward 20yrs and football is like being in church political correctness drives me bonkers.
As you say football is a place or used to be where you could let off steam after a week's graft for me it's lost it's soul which is one of the reasons I no longer attend but don't think it's a generational thing all those oldies around you have behaved far worse than you can imagine be sure of that.
That and Sky is part the reason I Don't get to many if any Albion games, Non League is easier normally Saturday 3PM or Midweek 19:45 and basically unless the weather plays a factor you know you can to go to the game.

The biggest reason is rather than there being a few folks moaning also probably concerned I could get the club fined, I do not act like Dudley they act Aggressive I just chant passionately and we are still a friendly bunch we clapped our opposition of the pitch and I spoke to one of there fans. I would probably have Mother's I say Mother's most blokes know what Football is like they were likely singing back in there younger days, my dad for example stood on the Brummie Terraces in the 90's he went to Wembley in 92 and so on. But either way I would get families moan at me for singing the Liquidator or Swearing.

Whilst I want young uns to get involved I think they should watch us on Sky or Ifollow with there families and then when they are 13-16 unless it's Wolves or Villa then 16-18 as let's be honest most 13 year olds know what Swear words mean and probably swear at school or with there mates. Then you take to the game if you don't like the thought of 23,000 thousand Baggies fans being passionate. That way the older mature folks from 18 to about 50/60 plus can all go to the Pubs and drink, and sing. The Brummie and Smethwick could be singing well before the Liquidator is played the Halfords for Players families and Neutrals and the East for those 13-16 year old and there families and older folks.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 05:46:29 PM by BaggieBoy04 »

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2024, 07:28:19 AM »
I had my first season ticket up the Albion at 8 and my dad would let me swear but he made it known that if I ever swore in front of my mom or pretty much anywhere else outside of football that my season ticket would not be used going forward

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2024, 10:05:23 AM »
I had my first season ticket up the Albion at 8 and my dad would let me swear but he made it known that if I ever swore in front of my mom or pretty much anywhere else outside of football that my season ticket would not be used going forward
That is exactly what I would do Difference is they could swear around me at home and outside of the house as long as it wasn't to teachers, police you know anyone who they may come across that isn't there friends or someone in a Pub, If there mum is cool with swearing then yeah that's up to her I'd she says they can swear around her. But to me around me yeah swear alone in your bedroom and you drop something or spill food on say a t-shirt or your angry at a game yeah swear but not around there mum, family or in public that isn't a bus with me present or not ie a Bus for no context unless the driver has to slam on the brakes. I got told off for swearing in front of my stepmum, my dad doesn't care apart from the C word or excessively. But if I say a few swear words during MOTD or Albion games or describing something like politics, the news whatever he doesn't mind.

Football should be for families but only if they are prepared to hear the Smethwick and Brummie and older folks F and blinding and singing the liquidator, where families stop unless the kids are 16-18 is derbies.Villa, Wolves and maybe Blues as that would either be lots of swearing or As we saw hooligans.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2024, 11:17:33 AM »
My first memories of football are of the shock of
    • proper black country accents" (being as I am from Great Barr).
      Getting on the special and the chaos and singing on the top deck,
      The queues and crush to get in / under the gates
      Knees up mother brown and the pushing and shoving of great waves of humanity against "crash barriers"
      The smell of beer / fags / pi55 (the bogs under the brummie were open sewers
      The incessant singing, once I learned the words of the songs, I would leave the ground hoarse
      The running "battles" in halfords lane, often with no actual violence
      The swearing by thousands, like "your going to get your freaking head kicked in"

"

Thats what I fell in love with and in some ways the football was just a facilitator to the match experience

Oh and Willie beating a full back and inviting hiim back for another go, while Ossy had a fag from a fan, the like of which will never be seen again !

I actually feel sorry for modern fans not living that experience.

Albion Family !!!

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2024, 11:55:33 AM »
quite possibly the worst atmosphere last night for many years, the times i use to get excited going to home games, now its a chore. hopefully it changes with whatever the new owner might have in store from next season

the game didn't help, an 8 o'clock kick off as well.

i'd been in the pub since 5:15 and tbh i was ready for bed at half time.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2024, 12:11:39 PM »
the game didn't help, an 8 o'clock kick off as well.

i'd been in the pub since 5:15 and tbh i was ready for bed at half time.

They clearly don't make bald Bond type villains like they used to Jeremy  ;D  ;) .

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2024, 11:25:05 AM »
They clearly don't make bald Bond type villains like they used to Jeremy  ;D  ;) .

villainous work is hard to find these days  :D

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2024, 12:19:34 PM »
villainous work is hard to find these days  :D

nearest thing to a job for life, based upon the vitriol on here
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2024, 11:19:28 PM »
Watched the Southampton v Preston game on TV earlier. Despite winning three nil at home in a commanding performance the atmosphere didn't seem particularly electric (to me at least).

There are games at stadiums including our own when there's a tremendous atmosphere. There are any number of games in any number of stadiums where it's not beyond (and in some cases) including goal celebrations.

BagAlbion123

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2024, 05:04:00 PM »
Preston ticks booked! Blimey left it late almost sold out picked my usual corner brummie last game of the season spot!

The Spurs game season we went down still lives long in the memory, first time I truly seen the Hawthorns like that (was too young to remember great escape) what a day that was!