Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1310198 times)

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #1600 on: May 07, 2017, 05:17:30 PM »
Have Brighton blown winning the Championship title?. Now only a point ahead of Newcastle with a game to go.

They Did!. Not a good result for the bookies as Newcastle were favourites for the title.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1601 on: May 11, 2017, 10:37:38 AM »
http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/norwich-dont-realise-how-lucky-13001876

Ian Holloway was full of praise for the job Alan Irvine has done at Norwich since taking over as interim manager.

Irvine has been in charge for nine games since Alex Neill was sacked, winning five, losing three and drawing one game, and Holloway said Norwich fans don't know how lucky they are.

The Canaries scored two or more goals in each of their final six games, including smashing seven past play-off bound Reading, and if they shore up their defence look set for a crack at promotion next season.

Irvine has said he does not want to be the manager going forward, although he is open to staying at the club, but Holloway backed him as the right man for the job.

"They want to get back to where they want to get," Holloway said. "They've got to announce who their manager's going to be. The manager today doesn't know.

"He's a wonderful man and it looks like he's done a really good job for them. Will he get the job? Who knows. That's football for you.

"Well done to Norwich [for their performance]. Al is a great friend of mine and Norwich don't realise how lucky they are to have him come in and keep things ticking over.

"They beat us like that and Brighton the other day too. For him to not know his future, is none of my business, but it can't be right."

Holloway is spot on here. Irvine has done a cracking job and should be given the job on a permanent basis. My mate who is a Norwich fan can't speak highly enough of him.
the regime don't like it man

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1602 on: May 11, 2017, 10:51:51 AM »
He may do well there but he was way out of his depth with us.

He was an awful manager for us plain and simple but he has done a decent job at Norwich
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1603 on: May 12, 2017, 03:10:38 AM »
Really? just better than 50 percent win rate at a relegated PL club? He's done the bare minimum required at a club like Norwich imo.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1604 on: May 12, 2017, 06:45:53 AM »
I can't believe we appointed him. I still laugh and cringe about it. My mates still take the p1ss to this day!

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1605 on: May 12, 2017, 10:06:08 AM »
Really? just better than 50 percent win rate at a relegated PL club? He's done the bare minimum required at a club like Norwich imo.

Come on Jacko they were poor under Alex Neill. They had some great wins including beating Brighton and thrashing Reading 7-1.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1606 on: May 12, 2017, 11:01:04 AM »
Come on Jacko they were poor under Alex Neill. They had some great wins including beating Brighton and thrashing Reading 7-1.
You're wasting your breath. Alan Irvine was never as bad as some like to believe (and I'm not suggesting he was brilliant either) and was partly the victim of previous appointments and decisions. The Pepe Mel treatment, the Astle business, the transfer policy and other stuff (not discounting the results) were party to his non acceptance and "failure" at the Hawthorns. Interestingly, it led to the appointment of Tony Pulis, who Jacko appears to love  :-*, an appointment that even the minority would probably not have accepted had it followed Pepe Mel.
(His win % ratio at Norwich is better than Potato Head's just down the road from us who have the "biggest side outside the Premiership"  ;D)
SOTV

.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1607 on: May 12, 2017, 11:10:22 AM »
You're wasting your breath. Alan Irvine was never as bad as some like to believe (and I'm not suggesting he was brilliant either) and was partly the victim of previous appointments and decisions. The Pepe Mel treatment, the Astle business, the transfer policy and other stuff (not discounting the results) were party to his non acceptance and "failure" at the Hawthorns. Interestingly, it led to the appointment of Tony Pulis, who Jacko appears to love  :-*, an appointment that even the minority would probably not have accepted had it followed Pepe Mel.
(His win % ratio at Norwich is better than Potato Head's just down the road from us who have the "biggest side outside the Premiership"  ;D)
SOTV

I agree with all this post except the bit at the end where you appear to be mocking our local, one time rivals of yesteryear, I'll have you know 'they' "will be bigger then Barcelona in 5 years" :P (actually thats probably 4 years now)  :o 
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1608 on: May 12, 2017, 11:22:40 AM »
Irvine had less than half a season (a tiny sample size) at WBA and was sacked when we were 16th.

He was managing a squad which was probably the 14-17th best squad in the division. WHAT A FAILURE!

Good luck to him at Norwich. Always seemed like a nice and decent person

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1609 on: May 12, 2017, 05:41:46 PM »

Credit to Irvine, I don't think he ever had that amount of goals in him. I think he was poor but also the enter structure around the club was at the time. It didn't help with signings like Blanco and Gamboa who didn't work out - and other than Lescott our best summer signing was Craig Gardner.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1610 on: May 13, 2017, 08:53:51 AM »
Something I noticed of the top 6 teams in the Championship only one is managed by a British/Irish coach. Even the Championship seems to cottoned on to the idea that if you want to get ahead get anything but a British coach from the Tim Sherwood school of tactical excellence.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1611 on: May 18, 2017, 09:29:24 AM »
Reading v Huddersfield in the play off final then. Really hope Huddersfield get through.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1612 on: May 18, 2017, 10:09:09 AM »
Reading v Huddersfield in the play off final then. Really hope Huddersfield get through.
Agree it's been a long time since I went up there.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1613 on: May 18, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »
Reading were top of the form table for the last 10 games this season, so looks like the old saying of the team in form does well in the playoffs is ringing true. Huddersfield on the other hand were 19th over the last 10 games

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1614 on: May 18, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »
Hope Huddersfield go up - rather them than Reading.

There is not one positive to Reading.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1615 on: May 19, 2017, 03:58:57 AM »
Huddersfield up would be great - 1 team I would feel confident we can finish above in the prem  + Fulham Weds and Reading join Hull Boro and Sunderland as 'Big Clubs' that will stand in the way of Villa and Wolves returning

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1616 on: May 19, 2017, 12:57:41 PM »
Something I noticed of the top 6 teams in the Championship only one is managed by a British/Irish coach. Even the Championship seems to cottoned on to the idea that if you want to get ahead get anything but a British coach from the Tim Sherwood school of tactical excellence.

Villa - Bruce
Blues - Redknapp
Albion - Pulis
Wolves - Lambert

If only the West Midlands was so quick on the uptake!

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1617 on: May 19, 2017, 01:52:05 PM »
Villa - Bruce
Blues - Redknapp
Albion - Pulis
Wolves - Lambert

If only the West Midlands was so quick on the uptake!

Villa - Garde
Blues - Zola
Albion - Mel
Wolves - Zenga

;)

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1618 on: May 19, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »
Villa - Garde
Blues - Zola
Albion - Mel
Wolves - Zenga

;)
Two of those were in losing positions after failed British managers (Mel-Clarke & Garde-Sherwood). I fail to see them as the same as Zola and Zenga.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1619 on: May 19, 2017, 03:49:51 PM »
Two of those were in losing positions after failed British managers (Mel-Clarke & Garde-Sherwood). I fail to see them as the same as Zola and Zenga.

Who in turn had replaced two British managers doing decent enough jobs on limited resources.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1620 on: May 19, 2017, 04:14:46 PM »
Who in turn had replaced two British managers doing decent enough jobs on limited resources.
exactly, hence why Mel and Garde arent the same as them. They were both signed by naive owners as shiny foreign names rather than having a reputable record. While Mel and Garde were unfortunate firefighters. There are some good managers managers out there who I think can do a job for any of the midland teams. someone like, say, Stefano Pioli. Who is currently available and is very Pulis like, would walk the championship and be a decent Prem manager I reckon as long as he's supported. Or Peter Hyballa, who is effectively Klopp's and Pochettino's managerial love child.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1621 on: May 19, 2017, 04:58:59 PM »
exactly, hence why Mel and Garde arent the same as them. They were both signed by naive owners as shiny foreign names rather than having a reputable record. While Mel and Garde were unfortunate firefighters. There are some good managers managers out there who I think can do a job for any of the midland teams. someone like, say, Stefano Pioli. Who is currently available and is very Pulis like, would walk the championship and be a decent Prem manager I reckon as long as he's supported. Or Peter Hyballa, who is effectively Klopp's and Pochettino's managerial love child.

Interesting.

Pioli's reportedly being lined up for the Watford job, as is Leonid Slutsky.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/stefano-pioli-and-leonid-slutsky-on-watford-shortlist-after-walter-mazzarri-is-sacked-a3542401.html

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1622 on: May 19, 2017, 05:04:57 PM »
Interesting.

Pioli's reportedly being lined up for the Watford job, as is Leonid Slutsky.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/stefano-pioli-and-leonid-slutsky-on-watford-shortlist-after-walter-mazzarri-is-sacked-a3542401.html
what can I Say? I have an eye for managers.  :D

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1623 on: May 19, 2017, 05:16:14 PM »
what can I Say? I have an eye for managers.  :D

Absolutely, that or you read the article when it came out yesterday  :P  ;)  ;) .

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1624 on: May 19, 2017, 06:22:26 PM »
Absolutely, that or you read the article when it came out yesterday  :P  ;)  ;) .
genuinely didn't know he was linked to Watford.

I wanted Lucien Favre to replace Tony last summer too before Nice came in.