Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 760894 times)

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #3325 on: March 14, 2019, 10:18:14 AM »
Possibly the best performance by Brunt in a long time. Absolutely magic. I've always admired his work rate even if he has had off games. Aside from the goal, lets not forget the superb corner he swung in as well for Holgate.

A magnificent player and servant for the club.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3326 on: March 14, 2019, 10:22:59 AM »
With all due respect, Brunt was our best outfield player last night. Are you seriously disagreeing with that?
I'm guessing he is talking about Brunt starting was a strange decision as it came out of nowhere, and that bit I agree with..... pre-match nobody would have had Brunt in the starting 11, as it happens it was a good decision and it worked well.
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3327 on: March 14, 2019, 10:44:51 AM »
I'm guessing he is talking about Brunt starting was a strange decision as it came out of nowhere, and that bit I agree with..... pre-match nobody would have had Brunt in the starting 11, as it happens it was a good decision and it worked well.

IMO the Brunt interview more or less said he was playing.

Brunt played just in front of the back 4, exactly the same position he played in last year's match against Swansea, which was also masterminded by Shan.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3328 on: March 14, 2019, 10:53:26 AM »
Are we really saying that Brunt is the answer to our CM problem after 1 good game? Seriously?
Virtually everyone on the forum has slated previous managers that played him in CM and now he's going to save our season?
Yes he played well last night, although I think some are going over the top, but we have always known he has ability, what he doesn't have is pace, movement or positional sense to play there consistently. Nor does he have the defensive nous and at least one of their chances he was caught in no man's land.

If James thinks Brunt in CM will solve all our problems then I think this revival might be short-lived.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3329 on: March 14, 2019, 11:01:19 AM »
Are we really saying that Brunt is the answer to our CM problem after 1 good game? Seriously?
Virtually everyone on the forum has slated previous managers that played him in CM and now he's going to save our season?
Yes he played well last night, although I think some are going over the top, but we have always known he has ability, what he doesn't have is pace, movement or positional sense to play there consistently. Nor does he have the defensive nous and at least one of their chances he was caught in no man's land.

If James thinks Brunt in CM will solve all our problems then I think this revival might be short-lived.

Last night was his best game in the middle but it was far from as perfect as being made out, firs half Nathan Dyer run rings round him and left him flat-footed on so many occasions. For some strange reason second half they moved Dyer out wide and in the end took him off, he was running the game first half.

Brunt is not a centre midfielder, never will be and one good game won't change that, its one of the things that ultimately cost Moore his job persisting with it for so long. He's in for set-pieces as thats his best asset.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3330 on: March 14, 2019, 11:02:30 AM »

i dont think he is the awnser to our CM problems nor is he going to save our season to be honest. i just think he deserved a lot of credit for his performance last night whilst playing out of position. i also thought it was good to give him a fair bit of credit as considering he has been a fantastic servant and player for us he gets absolutely slated majority of the time.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3331 on: March 14, 2019, 12:04:13 PM »
Played very well last night and he’s worth having in the side if even just for set pieces as embarrassingly none of our other players can put a decent ball over. I’d have him where Rodriguez was playing last night though, with JRod over the other side.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3332 on: March 14, 2019, 12:08:09 PM »
I have one of his detractors, but last night, I could see that he is still a good player.
Perhaps it was because he was being asked to do something alien to his natural style, in the past.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3333 on: March 14, 2019, 12:42:17 PM »
He does this all the time. Plays well initially and then fades over the next couple of games.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3334 on: March 14, 2019, 12:50:52 PM »
Played very well last night and he’s worth having in the side if even just for set pieces as embarrassingly none of our other players can put a decent ball over. I’d have him where Rodriguez was playing last night though, with JRod over the other side.

Alternatively in a five man midfield you could have Brunt on the right. I actually thought Rodriguez had a decent game last night, did a good job for the team.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3335 on: March 14, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »
One good game does not make a summer.

He still should not be used in that deep midfield role. Barry should be the first choice and Sam Field ideally should be the second choice.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3336 on: March 14, 2019, 12:55:18 PM »
His free kick was a bit lucky, and I didn't think he was as good as some are saying, but last night showed up that even though he's coming towards the end of his career, we still haven't replaced what he gives us.

The set piece delivery, the range of passing, etc; we need Brunt 2.0

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3337 on: March 14, 2019, 02:53:48 PM »
As I said in the after match thread, we need to get as many players in the team as we can who don't treat the football like a hot potato. That means Brunt plays, either in midfield or as one of the wide forwards. Was brilliant last night and has never dipped below a 6 all season despite the moans, in contrast his midfield partner last night has never peaked above a six but supposedly covers a lot of ground (he doesn't).

I know which type of player I like watching.

Hopefully Shan and the incumbent makes Brunt the permanent fixture in the team he should always be.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3338 on: March 14, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »
So for some time Brunt has been the enigma he was last night.  At his best he is brilliant- and he changes games in our favour.  Then he can have whole portions of games when he is quite mediocre.  On balance though the good outweighs the bad, though the bad can be exasperating.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3339 on: March 14, 2019, 03:36:10 PM »
On the pitch i think Brunt still has something to offer.

He played well last night and as Jacko says he is comfortable on the ball and a good footballer, personally i would have him in every squad and if Gibbs in injured find a way of playing Townsend and Brunt on the left, switching between them as a left back / left midfield, they should balance each other well.

If we play a 4-3-3 then again having Brunt as an option there is a good thing., What we shouldnt be doing is playing him centre midfield unless desperate or trying to build a team round him going forward.

I am not sure what to make of the off the pitch stuff, Brunt always seems to be the one saying stuff but as Jacko again said, as club captain he is the mouthpiece for that sort of thing. Only those in the dressing room know if he is one of those who seems to rule the roost around the club or not, and if so whether its done with best intentions or because he is comfortable.

I would like to think its only positive things because i dont think we will see a player staying at the Albion for over 10 years  like Brunty has for a long long time. (and Morrison to a certain extent though he has been injured a lot the last few years)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:39:10 PM by Albion79 »

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3340 on: March 14, 2019, 04:10:02 PM »
As I said in the after match thread, we need to get as many players in the team as we can who don't treat the football like a hot potato. That means Brunt plays, either in midfield or as one of the wide forwards. Was brilliant last night and has never dipped below a 6 all season despite the moans, in contrast his midfield partner last night has never peaked above a six but supposedly covers a lot of ground (he doesn't).

I know which type of player I like watching.

Hopefully Shan and the incumbent makes Brunt the permanent fixture in the team he should always be.
I can't think of a match where he was ABOVE a 6 this season before last night. Yesterday he played well for an hour and then faded. Nevertheless it was his best game this season. Describing him as "brilliant" is just you wearing your usual rose tinted spectacles and massively over rating him as a player. Johnstone and Hegazi were the 2 contenders for man of the match.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3341 on: March 14, 2019, 04:14:22 PM »
I can't think of a match where he was ABOVE a 6 this season before last night. Yesterday he played well for an hour and then faded. Nevertheless it was his best game this season. Describing him as "brilliant" is just you wearing your usual rose tinted spectacles and massively over rating him as a player. Johnstone and Hegazi were the 2 contenders for man of the match.

Mate, you've not been able to judge a player since the Dorrans days... so pardon me if I take no notice...

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3342 on: March 14, 2019, 04:15:06 PM »

Mate, you've not been able to judge a player since the Dorrans days... so pardon me if I take no notice...

Ouch!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3343 on: March 14, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »

Bit rich to be fair from the man with as stated rose tinted specs when it comes to Brunt and a little hit list which these days contains Livermore, Johnstone and Field.

As for Super Graham Dorrans what a fantastic central midfielder, could run a game even according to you in the Championship only, haven't seen your mate do that on a consistent basis  :o

Last night Brunt had his best game in the middle but got the run around by Nathan Dyer first half, too many hit and hope balls. Needs to be out wide where his best asset can be used effectively. Doesn't have to be a cross in the air just a cross, after a while if done regularly Gayle and Rodriguez would anticipate it
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:33:37 PM by OldburyWBA »

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3344 on: March 14, 2019, 04:30:14 PM »
It was a great performance by him but I'm still not convinced. I remember under Moore when we beat Stoke 2-1 this season he also played really well but it didn't translate long-term, so we will see.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3345 on: March 14, 2019, 04:44:33 PM »
to say he was brilliant is a tad over praisal. he put in a long overdue good performance nothing more nothing less.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3346 on: March 14, 2019, 04:49:06 PM »
Bit rich to be fair from the man with as stated rose tinted specs when it comes to Brunt and a little hit list which these days contains Livermore, Johnstone and Field.

As for Super Graham Dorrans what a fantastic central midfielder, could run a game even according to you in the Championship only, haven't seen your mate do that on a consistent basis  :o

Last night Brunt had his best game in the middle but got the run around by Nathan Dyer first half, too many hit and hope balls. Needs to be out wide where his best asset can be used effectively. Doesn't have to be a cross in the air just a cross, after a while if done regularly Gayle and Rodriguez would anticipate it

Thing is you seem to have a hit list of 1. One of our best ever with over 400 apps and 10 years service. Played virtually his entire career in the top division. Sad really.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3347 on: March 14, 2019, 04:57:34 PM »

Thing is you seem to have a hit list of 1. One of our best ever with over 400 apps and 10 years service. Played virtually his entire career in the top division. Sad really.

I think you need to go back and read my posts about Brunt, I have only ever criticised him in a central midfield role so not sad at all, realistic  but sadly not sad.

I don't do hit lists not even when it comes to banning on here as some think, I say it as I see it, praise when praise is due and criticise when criticism is deserved.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3348 on: March 14, 2019, 05:02:05 PM »
I think you need to go back and read my posts about Brunt, I have only ever criticised him in a central midfield role so not sad at all, realistic  but sadly not sad.

I don't do hit lists not even when it comes to banning on here as some think, I say it as I see it, praise when praise is due and criticise when criticism is deserved.

Don't buy it mate, you're the first on here virtually every time I post about him. Usually down playing any positive contribution.

We move on.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3349 on: March 14, 2019, 05:07:35 PM »

Quick point.

He has spent the majority of his career in the top flight but not virtually all of it.

This is his sixth season outside of the top flight (three with Sheffield Wednesday and three with us).

He's made more than 220 appearances at this level or below (excluding cup games).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.