Author Topic: Downing out  (Read 21403 times)

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

Downing out
« on: August 30, 2014, 05:40:45 PM »
This thread is more apt

BB74

• Senior Baggie

Re: Downing out
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 05:43:38 PM »
Really? He kept us up single handedly last season didn't you know?  ???

Uncle Keith should have went when Clarke did along with 'Deano'.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »
And him as well.  All the talk of Peace 'sorting things' he made a critical error for me in first appointing Irvine but keeping on Downing and Kiely.  A frest start and a clean slate was needed.  Strangely enough I wouldn't have minded Irvine as a first team coach i.e. in Downings role but not as number 1.

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 05:56:10 PM »
He has been the constant through our inept performances over the last 2 years..go now ...please

cheesyknackers

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 05:59:17 PM »
Our version of clipboard i feel.

ComebackStrodds

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 10:00:14 PM »
Sling your hook dingle downing, Bescot needs a new groundsman

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 10:15:04 PM »
All of this "*insert name* out" is just cringeworthy and embarrassing.

It's like going on a Dingle/Stoke forum a couple of years ago. What on earth has happened to our support?

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »
All of this "*insert name* out" is just cringeworthy and embarrassing.

It's like going on a Dingle/Stoke forum a couple of years ago. What on earth has happened to our support?

How long do you keep supporting failure?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

wba606

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 11:06:19 PM »
what failure staying in the top flight for 5 seasons 

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 11:10:33 PM »
what failure staying in the top flight for 5 seasons

Going backwards under this regime though.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 11:12:48 PM »
Going backwards under this regime though.
After 3 games ?
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 11:14:06 PM »
How long do you keep supporting failure?

I don't think anyone supports failure to be honest. Some people just don't like been fickle.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 11:15:15 PM »
After 3 games ?

The last 18 months or so has been a slow downward spiral. We are going down that spiral at 100mph now though.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 11:15:54 PM »
No one on here is qualified to say Downing is good or bad enough. We do not see what he's like during the week and unlike the 'head coach' he cannot be judged on the pitch.

No one on here criticised him in months before today, now he's suddenly the issue. It's widely acknowledged by many closer to the club that Downing is largely appreciated and has been here during our better years too. Here's a genuine question for those criticising him - what has Downing actually done wrong?!

I understand the issues with Irvine as we can visibly see his problems, but pointing the stick at Downing is bizarre.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 11:17:09 PM »
Staying up for five seasons is fine. But we have been going backwards for two years now.

Irvine was never ready for this and never will be. He has joined an inept coaching team that is in dire need of replacement.

Fine all you rose tinted glasses people. Give this regime a chance, then when we are in the bottom three/ two/ one by October and continue to stagnate to the end of this year maybe the alarm clock will go off for some of you.

It's NOT enough to be content to be in the Premiership, clawing through the mud to be 17th. Where's your ambition? We are one of the oldest clubs in the country and deserve better.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 11:25:25 PM »

Fine all you rose tinted glasses people. Give this regime a chance, then when we are in the bottom three/ two/ one by October and continue to stagnate to the end of this year maybe the alarm clock will go off for some of you.

It won't go off though. If we went down then the same rose tinted specs will be saying 'don't worry, we haven't got to sell anyone, we'll smash the Championship'.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:27:48 PM by BB74 »

Baggie Boy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 11:28:35 PM »
No one on here is qualified to say Downing is good or bad enough. We do not see what he's like during the week and unlike the 'head coach' he cannot be judged on the pitch.

No one on here criticised him in months before today, now he's suddenly the issue. It's widely acknowledged by many closer to the club that Downing is largely appreciated and has been here during our better years too. Here's a genuine question for those criticising him - what has Downing actually done wrong?!

I understand the issues with Irvine as we can visibly see his problems, but pointing the stick at Downing is bizarre.
Any fan who invests time or money into the club is qualified to give an opinion. Do you vote? I could easily say you are not qualified to have an opinion on politicians as you do not see all the background work.

I could also easily say that you are not qualified to recommend a film or a book or a restaurant as you do not view such things in its entirety or in the correct tone.

To conclude any fan is entitled to his/her opinion provided it is not insulting or derogatory to another fan on this forum.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 11:29:13 PM »

Who is then Jeremy Peace? The same man that was "qualified" to decide Irvine was suitable to be head coach?

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see that the playing side of the club has been in decline for some time and the common denominators are Downing and Keily.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 11:35:05 PM »
I have supported the baggies for nearly 50 years and in that time I have never heard fans call for the managers head after 3 games. Just cant get my head round this. I didn't want Alan Irvine as manager but will give him a chance. For Christ sakes if we can give the like's of Smith, Little and Buckley a chance surely we can give Irvine a chance at least.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 11:40:58 PM »
I have supported the baggies for nearly 50 years and in that time I have never heard fans call for the managers head after 3 games. Just cant get my head round this. I didn't want Alan Irvine as manager but will give him a chance. For Christ sakes if we can give the like's of Smith, Little and Buckley a chance surely we can give Irvine a chance at least.

The managers you mentioned there never improved however long they were "given a chance".  I tend to agree with you in principal but everyone knew from the get go that Irvine wasn't the right choice and you have to ask yourself how much time are you prepared to give the man and in what state do you need to see the team in before you cut your losses.

Is it better to make a change sooner or is it worth the risk of damage severe enough being done which severely jeopardises our Premiership status?

Is it worth sacking Irvine at all if Tweedledum and Tweedledummer are going to remain under yet another head coach?

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 11:42:02 PM »

Who is then Jeremy Peace? The same man that was "qualified" to decide Irvine was suitable to be head coach?

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see that the playing side of the club has been in decline for some time and the common denominators are Downing and Keily.

Jeremy Peace is more qualified than the fans as he can see what goes on. Admittedly, I don't know what Downing's job fully involves, does anyone on here? So are we really in a position to critique? For all we know, Downing may only be practicing fitness drills and positioning. If so, is he really doing a bad job?

You could easily say "Claudio Yacob has been here for 3 years, which have all been decline, therefore he is the common denominator"

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 11:44:14 PM »
Staying up for five seasons is fine. But we have been going backwards for two years now.

Irvine was never ready for this and never will be. He has joined an inept coaching team that is in dire need of replacement.

It's NOT enough to be content to be in the Premiership, clawing through the mud to be 17th. Where's your ambition? We are one of the oldest clubs in the country and deserve better.
seeing as by that token we as a club have done close to F*** All for about 30 years now... it's just that some of us don't know any better, or don't take a sport where 22 men in shorts run around after a ball for an hour and a half all that seriously, and just enjoy watching

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 11:46:43 PM »
Jeremy Peace is more qualified than the fans as he can see what goes on. Admittedly, I don't know what Downing's job fully involves, does anyone on here? So are we really in a position to critique? For all we know, Downing may only be practicing fitness drills and positioning. If so, is he really doing a bad job?

You could easily say "Claudio Yacob has been here for 3 years, which have all been decline, therefore he is the common denominator"

Jeremy Peace is one human being. He is a businessman not a football man he is no more "qualified" than I am.

To use a previous analogy from another poster you should not be voting in any election then as you are not qualified on the issues on which you are voting.

With all due respect mate the "qualified" thing is utter nonsense.

As for Claudio Yacob, for whatever reason he hasn't for some while looked the same player he was alongside Mulumbu when he first joined.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 11:47:48 PM »

The managers you mentioned there never improved however long they were "given a chance".  I tend to agree with you in principal but everyone knew from the get go that Irvine wasn't the right choice and you have to ask yourself how much time are you prepared to give the man and in what state do you need to see the team in before you cut your losses.

Is it better to make a change sooner or is it worth the risk of damage severe enough being done which severely jeopardises our Premiership status?

Is it worth sacking Irvine at all if Tweedledum and Tweedledummer are going to remain under yet another head coach?
Not exactly our choice that, though, is it?

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 11:48:54 PM »

But fans were not calling for their heads after 3 games were they?