Author Topic: Ex Players Thread  (Read 421772 times)

collins101

• Youth Baggie

Re: Ex Players Thread
« Reply #1025 on: November 14, 2018, 11:29:32 AM »

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1026 on: November 19, 2018, 05:46:14 AM »
 ;D Good to see GMac playing for N.Ireland. ......Still got it at his age but noticeably "slower"top top Pro.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1027 on: November 26, 2018, 03:23:31 PM »
Leon Barnett forced to retire due to a heart condition...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46346028

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1028 on: November 26, 2018, 03:40:14 PM »

That's sad for him, but on the plus side at least it's at this stage in his career and he didn't get affected by it. He'll be 33 next week and his career was winding down, at least he's earned a good amount and now knows his problems.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1029 on: November 26, 2018, 04:34:18 PM »

Sad news!. Good luck Leon.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1030 on: November 26, 2018, 05:34:59 PM »
I also have atrial fibrillation and never know when it is going to happen.
It means that the blood is being pumped around your body at such a fast rate, that it cannot collect oxygen from the lungs and deliver it to the brain, which means a stroke can happen because the brain is being starved of oxygen.

I hope that good luck plays a big part in Leon's future.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1031 on: December 06, 2018, 12:54:38 AM »
Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere.

But Baggies Cap number 864 went to our former keeper Luke Daniels on Monday night.

(one PL appearance away to Everton when he came on as sub' for Ben Foster in 2013)

Didn't realise at the time but he was on the bench for Brentford.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1032 on: December 28, 2018, 01:34:38 PM »
Gary Robson and Carlton Palmer are to receive their Baggies Caps at tomorrows game against Sheffield Wednesday.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/december/two-more-old-heroes-to-receive-caps/

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1033 on: December 28, 2018, 01:54:11 PM »
Gary Robson and Carlton Palmer are to receive their Baggies Caps at tomorrows game against Sheffield Wednesday.

Under-rated Gary Robson was. Did well when we moved him up front for a while.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1034 on: December 28, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »

I knew Gary (and Bryan) as a kid, a really quiet unassuming lad, not a bit like Bryan.

Carlton Palmer was a really funny bloke, some of the old TV footage of him is quality!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=carlton+palmer+joking&oq=carlton+palmer+joking&aqs=chrome..69i57.6943j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

also this article sheds some light on CP

CARLTON PALMER had just thrown up in the dug-out before Sheffield Wednesday’s match against Queen’s Park Rangers on New Year’s Day in 1994 when a concerned Les Ferdinand shuffled across.

“He said to me, ‘You OK Carlton? You stink of booze’,” says Palmer, recalling one of the few occasions when alcohol really did effect him on the pitch.

“When the floodlights came on in the second half, I was so disorientated I was facing my own goal. But we still won 2-1.”

But that effect was a rarity for former England midfielder Palmer who, despite playing for a host of top clubs including West Brom, Leeds United, Southampton, Nottingham Forest, Coventry and Watford, used to drink a shot of brandy to calm his nerves before each match.

Ron Atkinson, his manager at Sheffield Wednesday, had “no problem” with it, according to Palmer.

“Every player has their rituals that they associate with being successful,” he says. “And mine was take a tot of brandy before games because I used to get so nervous. It used to calm me down.

“It wasn’t a secretive swig from a hip flask hidden in my wash bag or anything like that. I was quite open about it.

“I would always come out of the dressing room last and insisted on being the last one on the field. I would wander into the lounge in the main stand at Hillsborough, past the surprised sponsors and be-suited executives, jog to the bar where the staff had lined up my drink, swig it down, joke with them ‘see you again in 90 minutes when I come in to collect my man-of-the-match award’ and run out on to the pitch.

“Big Ron never had a problem with it. Nobody had a problem with it as long as I did my job on the pitch. What you do off the pitch is immaterial in my view as long as you perform on it. It was a psychological need.

“Gary Lineker habitually took Imodium before England games; at West Brom, I remember the goalkeeper Stuart Naylor was sick before each game; and when I came across him on England duty Stuart Pearce used to find a quiet corner, put on a set of headphones and sometimes even stuck his head into a book. He never did stretches. Part of my ritual was a shot of brandy!”

After moving to Leeds, Howard Wilkinson politely suggested that Palmer cut out the alcohol to see if it improved his performances, let alone prolong his career. Palmer agreed but his form promptly fell off the proverbial cliff.

“The more I didn’t drink the worse I played,” he says.

Wilkinson, convinced that the midfielder had ignored his advice, dropped him, stuck in the reserves before calling him into his office to ask what was wrong. When Palmer assured him he was not touching a drop, Wilkinson reached into the fridge in his office, pulled out a can of lager and told him to drink it. And once he was back on the ale on a regular basis, his form returned.

But when pictures of an inebriated Palmer, in his club track suit, cavorting on the back of Sheffield Wednesday team-mate Woods on their night out before that QPR game appeared in the Sunday papers, it was the beginning of the end of Palmer’s time at Hillsborough
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1035 on: December 28, 2018, 02:25:06 PM »
Carlton Palmer was a really funny bloke, some of the old TV footage of him is quality...........

......... a character and no doubt  ;D .

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1036 on: January 03, 2019, 09:04:46 PM »
This former West Brom man, Ishmael Miller is without a club after being released

Source: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/former-west-brom-man-without-15624529
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1037 on: January 04, 2019, 06:57:19 PM »
George Thorne is to go on loan to Luton Town

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1038 on: January 04, 2019, 07:29:20 PM »
George Thorne is to go on loan to Luton Town

Wow...what happened to this guy? He's been blighted with injuries hasn't he? Shame there's a good player in there, hopefully he can get back to a higher level. Good lad.
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1039 on: January 04, 2019, 08:08:10 PM »
Potentially one of the better young players to come out of West Brom. It's a pity about his injuries which have cost him dearly over the last few seasons. Good luck to him - hope he can still prove his potential.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1040 on: January 08, 2019, 08:09:27 AM »
This former West Brom man, Ishmael Miller is without a club after being released

Source: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/former-west-brom-man-without-15624529

That didn't last long! Signed by Tranmere Rovers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46787836
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1041 on: January 08, 2019, 09:09:49 AM »
That didn't last long! Signed by Tranmere Rovers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46787836

Hopefully it will inspire other youngsters when the big six come calling it best to finish the academy programme with us. Even those who left around 20 year's old have gone on to have a decent career.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1042 on: January 08, 2019, 09:16:47 AM »
Hopefully it will inspire other youngsters when the big six come calling it best to finish the academy programme with us. Even those who left around 20 year's old have gone on to have a decent career.

Didn’t we buy him from Manchester City after a loan spell with us, so not one of our Academy youngsters
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

mrvulgarity

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1043 on: January 08, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »
Didn’t we buy him from Manchester City after a loan spell with us, so not one of our Academy youngsters

we did, he was young when joined us agreed but was a purchase, not a creation of our Academy

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1044 on: January 08, 2019, 09:44:47 AM »
we did, he was young when joined us agreed but was a purchase, not a creation of our Academy
Very true, i was there for his debut and he absolutely exploded onto the scene! Thought he would be the real deal but injury curtailed his progress and he never really recovered.

mrvulgarity

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1045 on: January 08, 2019, 09:55:57 AM »
Very true, i was there for his debut and he absolutely exploded onto the scene! Thought he would be the real deal but injury curtailed his progress and he never really recovered.

Yeah for me was a real asset, like a improved Heskey. The injuries just ruined his progress, I really felt sorry for the lad, he was a top bloke

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1046 on: January 10, 2019, 05:20:34 PM »
Adil Nabi signed for OFI Crete who have Giorgios Samaras as President
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1047 on: January 10, 2019, 05:52:13 PM »
Andy Johnson will join Albion Radio for the next 10 home games starting at Norwich

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/january/aj-joins-wba-radio/

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1048 on: January 13, 2019, 07:50:20 AM »
Goalkeeper Elliot Morris scores 70yd goal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46851511

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1049 on: January 15, 2019, 05:23:40 PM »
Completely forgot ex Albion youth player Paul Downing was playkng championshi football with Blackburn this season. Has only made 4 appearances this season and is looking likely to move back to move back to league 1 this month. Not making a bad career for himself though.
Boing Boing