Author Topic: Carlos Corberan  (Read 256097 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: Carlos Corberan
« Reply #1800 on: August 09, 2023, 06:03:42 PM »
In fairness every single Albion supporter also identified this as well. What Carlos did was take action to his credit.
But not every previous Albion manager identified them.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1801 on: August 09, 2023, 06:09:03 PM »
Couldn't agree more with you.

I've gone into this season with no expectations of a top 6 finish (I have no desire to be promoted back to the toxic greed league regardless)

If the club avoids relegation, avoids administration and gives me some good entertaining matches along the way to watch win or lose then I will consider this to be as good a result as I could reasonably hope for.

If what I fear will happen in that fans start calling for Corberans head due to a (in my view) bizarre and unfounded notion that we should be in the top 6 this season, i'll be pretty disheartened

First port of call for me is to avoid relegation and administrator that is all I ask . Anything other than that is a bonus.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1802 on: August 09, 2023, 08:25:50 PM »
It just shows how far we have fallen when avoiding relegation from the Championship is seen as a huge win.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1803 on: August 09, 2023, 08:43:44 PM »
Let's all get behind him.

He's got a poisoned chalice with these owners.

We have to keep the faith, he's not perfect but he's the best thing to happen to us in years IMO.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1804 on: August 09, 2023, 08:52:38 PM »

We have to keep the faith, he's not perfect but he's the best thing to happen to us in years IMO.
Hear, hear, not to forget a few aged players and one or two who have seen off the last few managers, talk about doing a job with one hand tied behind his back! I just wish one or two more shared his enthusiasm because let's face it, it's going to be a long hard season!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1805 on: August 10, 2023, 01:19:03 AM »

Absolutely correct.

tegga

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1806 on: August 10, 2023, 07:10:42 AM »

I agree, we have to. As supporters that's all we can do, we can talk and protest about our club, but at the end of day it's all about getting down there and backing our team. We all have to change our mentality, no more sitting like cardboard cut outs, no more waiting for a goal before we applaud, no more moaning or booing. Applaud everything, be vocal and and let's have this siege mentality, because it does feel like everything is against us.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1807 on: August 10, 2023, 07:42:37 AM »
Reading between the lines, and adding 2+2 I'm thinking that CC may just be starting to get frustrated with the board. No money and no sign of any quality signings - goodness knows what will happen if he walks.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1808 on: August 10, 2023, 08:21:04 AM »
Reading between the lines, and adding 2+2 I'm thinking that CC may just be starting to get frustrated with the board. No money and no sign of any quality signings - goodness knows what will happen if he walks.

He’s just putting pressure on to ensure that the board allows him to spend the maximum available to him.  He very clearly understands the limitations.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1809 on: August 10, 2023, 08:30:54 AM »
Show me the actual evidence that he is " best of the lot".

We all know the financial situation but that doesn't stop us finding a winning formula. Look at Luton, Sunderland, Coventry last season.

Excuses are for losers. Sorry, I know its not nice and it's not PC but it's a brutal world.

The clubs you mention all seem to have committed ownership and have introduced modern methods of recruitment.  The owners have not been taking money out of the club. 
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1810 on: August 10, 2023, 08:54:50 AM »

Absolutely- on a match day. That goes for the players as well.

On forums such as this though, we are all perfectly entitled to say it as we see it.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1811 on: August 10, 2023, 09:05:55 AM »
The clubs you mention all seem to have committed ownership and have introduced modern methods of recruitment.  The owners have not been taking money out of the club.

“Modern methods of recruitment”?  What is this witchcraft to which you refer?  I don’t think that phrase survived Ashworth’s departure.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1812 on: August 10, 2023, 09:12:04 AM »
What recruitment ? Pearce and team have so far done another cracking job this summer with all of 2 signings.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1813 on: August 10, 2023, 09:48:20 AM »
Show me the actual evidence that he is " best of the lot".

We all know the financial situation but that doesn't stop us finding a winning formula. Look at Luton, Sunderland, Coventry last season.

Excuses are for losers. Sorry, I know its not nice and it's not PC but it's a brutal world.

I never got carried away with CC but accepted the 10 game streak was great, as we all did, even if performances were never electric and they were matches against teams we should have been competitive against.

I do have genuine concerns about him now though. This best of the rest stuff is based on one season at huddesfield, what if that was the fluke?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1814 on: August 10, 2023, 10:23:18 AM »
I never got carried away with CC but accepted the 10 game streak was great, as we all did, even if performances were never electric and they were matches against teams we should have been competitive against.

I do have genuine concerns about him now though. This best of the rest stuff is based on one season at huddesfield, what if that was the fluke?

He's not dissimilar to Valerian Ismael in some ways. Both had one previous good season (Huddersfield and Barnsley) and both had a ten game winning spell immediately on arrival at the Albion before a results drop off.

The big difference is Albion fans never took to Ismael whereas they have to Corberan.

I'm far from convinced by Carlos, same as you mate but I really hope he rams my concerns down my throat and becomes a huge success here.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1815 on: August 10, 2023, 10:33:03 AM »
“Modern methods of recruitment”?  What is this witchcraft to which you refer?  I don’t think that phrase survived Ashworth’s departure.

cf Brentford, Brighton, Luton and so forth
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1816 on: August 10, 2023, 10:57:43 AM »
He kept Huddersfield up, then next season got them to the playoffs without barely spending a penny, signed a lot of young and hungry players.

He came to us and took us from bottom to 10th with still a chance of the playoffs on the last game.

Its an ageing squad, our young and hungry' players consist of -

Molumby - good at getting around and breaking up play, struggles to kick a ball straight

BTA - hungry and quick, but very raw, he was still playing non league football not long ago

Diangana - not done anything for three seasons and injured a lot

Grant - well he is just karlan grant, enough said

So he hasnt exactly been blessed with much pace and creativity so far, we now have Sarmiento and Maja, hopefully a couple more to come, lets see what we are like when they are in.

Not so much on here but twitter is frightening, saying if we lose saturday Corberan should go, as he is out his depth!

End of last season our best keeper got injured with a nervous replacement, our best centre half missed the end of the season meaning we had the chuckle brothers to step in, yokoslu and moloumby were injured with the much derided Livermore to come in and Chabolah, and our only physical outlet missed the end of the season injured with only BTA an option to play there.

Corberan has of course made mistakes, the signing of Chaboloah seems a poor choice, whether he just decided to take the risk  because we couldnt get O'Brien i dont know and the decision to try and move Wallace and Swift around didnt work out.

However every coach will make mistakes and i think overall he has done a great job and we are lucky to have him.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1817 on: August 10, 2023, 11:11:02 AM »

Not so much on here but twitter is frightening, saying if we lose saturday Corberan should go, as he is out of his depth

Twitter is full of reactionary kids and people of questionable intelligence. Not all, by any means, but a good number all the same.

There's no way CC gets sacked regardless of the result on Saturday (unless there's stuff going on behind the scenes that none of us know about) and rightly so, he needs to be given more time than two league games at the start of the season.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1818 on: August 10, 2023, 12:13:26 PM »
I can’t see us signing the necessary 5 or 6 players to turn us into a passing from the back ball playing young team with energy and pace all over the park so in my honest he needs to do a megson and turn us into a hard to beat and break down team
Our back 4 are mostly poor with only kipre really comfortable on the ball
Very little movement or creativity through the middle of the park or energy for that matter
Once fit play Sarmiento, maja and BTA as a front 3
The rest sit deeper and do the dirty work and play on the break similar to his team at Huddersfield
I don’t care if we don’t play like Man City I want to see us scrap,battle,show pride
Like a megson team
And more importantly keep clean sheets and win football matches
We are not going to out football most teams in this league with this crop of players

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1819 on: August 10, 2023, 12:30:58 PM »
Dood is saying that Corberan is getting frustrated at the hierachy with transfers.

He then said Corberan is disappointed as Leeds previous owners were going to come back in for him this summer and he was going but as they have been taken over the new owners dont want him.

If thats true then very disappointing from CC but i have my doubts, why Dood is only saying this now and Leeds owner if they really wanted him they would of give him a contact in January!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1820 on: August 10, 2023, 12:40:41 PM »
Dood is saying that Corberan is getting frustrated at the hierachy with transfers.

He then said Corberan is disappointed as Leeds previous owners were going to come back in for him this summer and he was going but as they have been taken over the new owners dont want him.

If thats true then very disappointing from CC but i have my doubts, why Dood is only saying this now and Leeds owner if they really wanted him they would of give him a contact in January!

Genuine question: Who is this Dood guy? and why on earth do we keep quoting him when he has an almost zero success rate of things actually happening that he has informed us about??

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1821 on: August 10, 2023, 12:40:49 PM »

Blimey.

Do people really take Dood seriously?

One born every minute and all that.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that Corberan is frustrated, his latest presser made that quite clear to anyone that needed to be convinced.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1822 on: August 10, 2023, 12:49:52 PM »
As per my last bit of previous posts, i have my doubts about what he says!

He does seen to have some contact at the club but think a lot of stuff he exaggerates.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1823 on: August 10, 2023, 01:20:13 PM »
Can’t stand hearing anything that comes from that bloke. He just plays the percentages or puts stuff out there immediately after a source - not that there is a lot of that at the moment!

Leave his babble for the teenage Twitter mafia.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1824 on: August 10, 2023, 01:29:22 PM »
We were never going to get the signings needed to turn us in a side that could out pass sides and patiently break sides down. We don't have enough players who can a killer ball and the midfield don't support the loan man up front quick enough generally. On the occasion we do get good possession in the oppositions third, we are so slow that the opposition get 8 men behind the ball and we aren't good enough to be intricate and get through it.

With space tight there is a 50% chance the second pass in a one two is messed up and almost no chance of three intricate passes and movement coming off. 

CC should have been looking to adapt the way we play over pre-season, not either waiting until the end of the window, or worst case persisting regardless. This sort of stuff concerns me with CC because we all new this.   

Interesting Atomic liken his record to Val's. I hadn't considered that to date. Whilst I know I am in the minority, I could also see what VI was doing, how it would work and that it was one player away from working (in my opinion). 

The odds we bring in 3/4 loan players than can transform us to the type of type CC seems insistent on at the moment seem extremely long. Even when we were winning last season under CC, I don't think we saw any better performances than we did vs Watford and Burnley under Bruce.  Those performances had pace, energy, drive and determination.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 01:31:49 PM by johnny Cash »