Author Topic: Tyrone Mears  (Read 60889 times)

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

Re: Tyrone Mears signs official
« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2018, 03:04:30 PM »
If a plumber doesn't plumb, he's not really a plumber.
If a builder doesn't build, he's not really a builder.
If a supporter doesn't support...

A plumber isn't spending his hard earned money to plumb and a builder isn't spending his hard earned money to build. They are getting paid as opposed to supporters who are doing the paying, often spending money they can ill afford. Fans who pay their money to travel the length and breadth of the country following the Albion have an absolute right to express an opinion.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #201 on: October 11, 2018, 06:41:07 PM »
This is an appalling thread. Pathetic.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #202 on: October 11, 2018, 08:06:18 PM »
If you support Albion then you want what's best for the club.  By booing players does that really help them? Is Tyrone suddenly going to gain a few yards of pace? Or is it more likely to knock his confidence and make him more nervous.

Booing players simply doesn't help.

I also don't understand how someone could boo Mears but then say they're happy with Moore. He's the one picking him, if you have anger at the team selection it should be with the person doing the selecting. Not the guy trying to do his job.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #203 on: October 11, 2018, 08:13:04 PM »
If you support Albion then you want what's best for the club.  By booing players does that really help them? Is Tyrone suddenly going to gain a few yards of pace? Or is it more likely to knock his confidence and make him more nervous.

Booing players simply doesn't help.

I also don't understand how someone could boo Mears but then say they're happy with Moore. He's the one picking him, if you have anger at the team selection it should be with the person doing the selecting. Not the guy trying to do his job.
I'm with you
We shouldn't boo him, he didn't pick himself, however the opinions that he isn't good enough are fair
Some of the positioning last week from him was absolutely disgusting ..
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #204 on: October 12, 2018, 10:48:28 AM »
stumbled a few steps back to watch to cross.
As my original offering was regarded as too confrontational I will rephrase my truncated reply.
If this post is meant to support your original contention (although the wording is unclear), imo you are sadly mistaken.
Happily, anybody can check out the actual footage and form their own opinion.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #205 on: October 12, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »
As my original offering was regarded as too confrontational I will rephrase my truncated reply.
If this post is meant to support your original contention (although the wording is unclear), imo you are sadly mistaken.
Happily, anybody can check out the actual footage and form their own opinion.

Correct, which it appears we both have, but it also appears some have trouble accepting that everyone will have their own views and opinions.

I won’t boo the man, and while he’s in the team he’ll get my support but I won’t be praising him for something that in my view he doesn’t warrant praising for. It also doesn’t escape the fact that he isn’t good enough to play wing back as he doesn’t possess the legs he once had to get back quick enough. Just because we haven’t been punished yet doesn’t mean his performances haven’t been below par.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #206 on: October 12, 2018, 12:45:00 PM »
Speed read the last few posts so apologies if I've got the wrong impression.

Could someone tell me when Tyrone Mears was booed please?

Only asking as I appear to have missed this heinous event.

If he hasn't been booed, then please refrain from suggesting that he has.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #207 on: October 12, 2018, 02:11:19 PM »

I think the sarcastic cheering has been classed as booed, both don’t do anything to boost a players confidence and I’d sooner ignore a player than doing either but if a paying customer feels the need to do it to voice their opinion then who is anyone to tell them not to.
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
The Quiet Waters By.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #208 on: October 12, 2018, 06:19:45 PM »

Thank God it's not just me who didn't hear any booing directed towards Mears Dan, I was beginning to think I was losing the plot and/or my memory! Like I said in my initial post on this thread regarding this issue, I heard nothing of the sort.

If some people think the cheering for the substitution equated to booing, I really am beginning to think some folks are desperately trying to look for and find offence wherever and whenever possible when it just doesn't exist. Like I've said before, in my opinion, the cheer was for Moore (in the eyes of the fans) finally calling a substitution correctly and if there was any sarcasm meant by the cheer it was for that!  :D

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #209 on: October 13, 2018, 03:06:29 PM »
I just think it's a bit sad that vocal minority ends up reflecting poorly on the majority.

Here's another example of how it could harm the club. People want players like Gayle and Barnes to stay and the club to buy them. When players (who will be in demand and have a host of clubs to choose from) hear a chorus of boos after slightly poor 45 minutes, after they've been working their b*lls off to maintain a winning streak for a fair few games beforehand, it doesn't exactly endear the fanbase to them as a great group who'll back him when he's having a tough time. As I said before, any player in the team knows they're a bad game or two away from being treated like that. At the end of the season it might be a linear choice between two premier league clubs, and knowing that our fanbase will be on their back after a bad game or two might affect their decision.  Having good/bad fans can be a factor in why a player/manager chooses a club, not as big a factor as other things perhaps, but a factor nonetheless. This is an extreme example, but it's not unheard of to hear players saying 'I chose to come here because they have great fans'.

Booing the team/sarcastically cheering players departures/moaning every time someone puts a pass wrong literally doesn't help anyone. It doesn't help on the day, it doesn't help the clubs image, it doesn't help West Bromwich Albion in any way, shape or form. It's self-defeating.

The reason it bothers me so much is because I just think it's sad that the 5% of vocal fans make the other 95% of our fans look bad, just because 'I've paid my money so i've got the right to boo'. If you think of yourself as a customer i can see why you'd think it's a good idea, if you think of yourself as a fan, i really can't wrap my head round it.
there’s is not a club in the world that doesn’t have fans who sarcastically cheer or boo at some point, these guys are not only paid to play football they are paid to deal with the criticism too, it’s part of the job role these days, if they aren’t able to deal with that aspect then they are most definitely in the wrong profession. I don’t agree with booing your own player but many vent their frustrations that way, it’s part of the game unfortunately
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
The Quiet Waters By.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #210 on: October 13, 2018, 05:23:36 PM »

I was just about to ask the question, he was never boo'd and I don't think the cheers were sarcastic either, he'd literally just got an assist 5 minutes earlier.

I think this thread is a bit bizarre. Everyone knows he's quite poor, but no one is booing him, neither is anyone calling him over-rated or decent. He is what he is, a stop-gap until January when Sako is fit, until then he is employed to do a job.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #211 on: October 13, 2018, 05:28:06 PM »
Just to set the record straight(ish) Mears wasn't booed as such but he received a good bit of stick from behind me in the East Stand mostly for his inability to get forward at the right times. Upon his substitution there were many cheers and it wasn't for whoever was coming on it was for Mears being substituted.

Discuss as you will.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #212 on: October 13, 2018, 10:02:15 PM »
Just to set the record straight(ish) Mears wasn't booed as such but he received a good bit of stick from behind me in the East Stand mostly for his inability to get forward at the right times. Upon his substitution there were many cheers and it wasn't for whoever was coming on it was for Mears being substituted.

Discuss as you will.

From my vantage point in the East Stand this was exactly my perspective. There are a number of Albion supporters, a small but significant minority, who are happy to jeer and cheer sarcastically at their latest whipping boy.

It sickens me.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #213 on: October 14, 2018, 10:03:40 AM »

Discuss as you will.

I agree I sit in the east stand and there was one point where he should have made himself available for a pass but he simply hadn’t got the physical capability to do it . The crowd got very agitated and let Mears know what they thought. As I said to my friends sat by me it’s not his fault the coaching staff and board of directors determine he is the best replacement they could have got for the wing back role.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #214 on: October 14, 2018, 01:12:54 PM »
I agree I sit in the east stand and there was one point where he should have made himself available for a pass but he simply hadn’t got the physical capability to do it . The crowd got very agitated and let Mears know what they thought. As I said to my friends sat by me it’s not his fault the coaching staff and board of directors determine he is the best replacement they could have got for the wing back role.
Playing devils advocate. Surely he should know his own physical ability, if he was more than happy to sign the contract knowing he wasn’t capable enough himself to perform in a competitive environment then he should be big enough to deal with the critics. He wouldn’t be the first player to play on for payday knowing they were no longer capable.
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
The Quiet Waters By.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #215 on: October 14, 2018, 01:29:54 PM »
Playing devils advocate. Surely he should know his own physical ability, if he was more than happy to sign the contract knowing he wasn’t capable enough himself to perform in a competitive environment then he should be big enough to deal with the critics. He wouldn’t be the first player to play on for payday knowing they were no longer capable.

This assumes he misrepresented himself in some way, talked himself in to a contract worth more than his value, or the club didn’t test him approproately. 

For all you know, he is on £1000 pw and was clear about exactly what he was capable off. We have no way of knowing the club weren’t happy with what he does offer even if it’s limited. His minutes and recent praise suggest the latter is more likely.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #216 on: October 14, 2018, 01:59:14 PM »
This assumes he misrepresented himself in some way, talked himself in to a contract worth more than his value, or the club didn’t test him approproately. 

For all you know, he is on £1000 pw and was clear about exactly what he was capable off. We have no way of knowing the club weren’t happy with what he does offer even if it’s limited. His minutes and recent praise suggest the latter is more likely.
and the original post assumes he’s not to blame at all, players know their own bodies better than anyone else
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
The Quiet Waters By.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #217 on: October 24, 2018, 10:45:17 PM »
Did you guys doubting the abuse hear the 'Wan*er' chants coming from the Brummie tonight as Mears was just bought on or was there another mysterious lapse in hearing?

I sit in the Brummie and heard no shouting at all, few boos but not any abuse near me
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #218 on: October 24, 2018, 10:45:52 PM »
Did you guys doubting the abuse hear the 'Wan*er' chants coming from the Brummie tonight as Mears was just bought on or was there another mysterious lapse in hearing?
Derby fans
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #219 on: October 24, 2018, 10:47:36 PM »
Not his fault that Moore keeps picking him, same as the legend backside HRK.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #220 on: October 24, 2018, 10:56:21 PM »
was definitely coming from derby fans at the opposite end of the ground, didn’t leave them on good terms at all.
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
The Quiet Waters By.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #221 on: October 25, 2018, 01:00:27 AM »
I'm in the Smeth' and heard Derby shouting it.

I can assure you I heard absolutely naughty word all from the Brummie all night though.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #222 on: October 25, 2018, 07:54:08 AM »

Nonsense, i was sat in the Brummie and it was our customers behind me, 100%.

On an additional note, i felt he had an alright game tonight, nowhere near as bad as last week.
i it in the brummie and heard nothing but a few groans from our fans, the derby fans were calling him a w*nker after the way he forced his way out of them years ago. I think tarring the entire brummie with the same because a couple fans behind you joined in Derby’s chant is totally wrong.
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
The Quiet Waters By.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #223 on: October 25, 2018, 08:11:04 AM »
I'm in the Smeth' and heard Derby shouting it.

I can assure you I heard absolutely naughty word all from the Brummie all night though.

Derby gave him loads of abuse, including a quick rendition of' There's only one greedy bar steward'......
MAGA!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #224 on: October 25, 2018, 08:41:59 AM »
To be fair to the lad I don't think he did 'too bad' when he came on.

Tried to get forward, could tell he felt uncomfortable on the ball and you almost got a sense of nervousness to lose the ball.

Cant really blame the guy to be honest, afterall its DM who continues to pick him.