Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1327328 times)

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #200 on: October 09, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »
Bolton have sacked Owen Coyle, it all went downhill when they lost to Stoke 5-0 in the Fa Cup Semi Final. I think Di Canio or McCarthy will get the job.
BOING BOING

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #201 on: October 09, 2012, 11:00:26 AM »
I wonder if Coyle will be interested in doing the full set up there and go to Blackburn  :D

Not so long ago he was lauded as a top manager for the future, amazing how quickly things can change in this game.

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #202 on: October 09, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »
I've always liked Owen Coyle. Great guy and a good manager, shame he has been sacked but i'm not shocked with the news.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #203 on: October 09, 2012, 11:03:31 AM »
That jobs got Mick McCarthy written all over it, perfect match!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #204 on: October 09, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »
Can't say I'm surprised. Seemed to have the hallmarks of a very good manager but after the superb run they went on they've never really recovered. Went on a slide season before last and that seems to have continued.

I would also say the clock is ticking for Dave Jones. Lost 7 of the lost 8, or 8 of the last 9, something silly like that. They've got some tough games coming up too with them facing Leeds United in a few weeks. Lost 1-0 at home to Hull at the weekend.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #205 on: October 19, 2012, 09:31:10 PM »
Whose bright idea was it to play Sheff Weds - Leeds on a Friday night....
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

up_the_baggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #206 on: October 19, 2012, 10:27:58 PM »
Can't say I'm surprised. Seemed to have the hallmarks of a very good manager but after the superb run they went on they've never really recovered. Went on a slide season before last and that seems to have continued.

I would also say the clock is ticking for Dave Jones. Lost 7 of the lost 8, or 8 of the last 9, something silly like that. They've got some tough games coming up too with them facing Leeds United in a few weeks. Lost 1-0 at home to Hull at the weekend.

They should've kept Megson.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #207 on: October 19, 2012, 10:41:58 PM »
Whose bright idea was it to play Sheff Weds - Leeds on a Friday night....
cant see it making a difference if it was sat 3pm or friday night?

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #208 on: October 19, 2012, 11:07:45 PM »

Sun midday like most of our derby games, less time to get inebriated.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #209 on: October 19, 2012, 11:16:51 PM »

A Yorkshire derby? hoolies from both teams would have had this game penciled into their diary, especially after it was moved to Friday - they can make a proper night out of it then. Playing the game at an earlier time doesn't eradicate the possibility of trouble, but it definitely decreases it.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #210 on: October 19, 2012, 11:52:15 PM »
they arent massive rivals though in all honesty, sheffield utd,manchester united and barnsley are probably bigger owing to geographical location?

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #211 on: October 20, 2012, 06:07:05 AM »
they arent massive rivals though in all honesty, sheffield utd,manchester united and barnsley are probably bigger owing to geographical location?

But it's Leeds though, they have a reputation.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #212 on: October 20, 2012, 08:33:59 AM »
But it's Leeds though, they have a reputation.
i think though in this instance we cant generalize, it was just one idiotic fan who took it too far. mind you having said that warnock stated some of the chanting was awful.

Moggas barmy army

« Reply #213 on: October 20, 2012, 08:36:43 AM »
Having lived up in Sheffield, Leeds to Wednesday is the second big one behind United. They both have big fan bases with known hooligans, both have been in and around the same division with each other for years so they have a long history. Wednesday fans themselves are no angels but the Leeds fans are an utter disgrace apparently they were singing not so pleasant things about Jimmy Savile. Whoever decided that match should be played on a Friday night needs their head looking at.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #214 on: October 20, 2012, 11:43:18 AM »

Leeds - Wednesday is a big derby, the hate is not on the scale of Man Utd for Leeds, but it's still a big'un. I've had a look through some of the threads on the Wednesday board and it sounds like it kicked off big time. Put it this way, they won't be putting the game on a friday night again.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #215 on: October 20, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »
i think though in this instance we cant generalize, it was just one idiotic fan who took it too far. mind you having said that warnock stated some of the chanting was awful.

Only one assaulted a player but more than one ran on the pitch when they scored. Also there was a few hundred at least chanting throughout the game. What the knobs fail to realise is that Dave Jones was cleared in court so if identified he can sue each and every one of them for slander I would imagine. Yet some still believe in freedom of speech !!

One idiotic fan who at 20 has already been banned from football grounds 3 times and was in court last week apparantely for breaching his latest ban which no doubt he breached again last night.

The high fives he got from others in the crowd after he cowardly ran back into hide says a lot about the fans.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #216 on: October 20, 2012, 12:09:08 PM »
Only one assaulted a player but more than one ran on the pitch when they scored. Also there was a few hundred at least chanting throughout the game. What the knobs fail to realise is that Dave Jones was cleared in court so if identified he can sue each and every one of them for slander I would imagine. Yet some still believe in freedom of speech !!

One idiotic fan who at 20 has already been banned from football grounds 3 times and was in court last week apparantely for breaching his latest ban which no doubt he breached again last night.

The high fives he got from others in the crowd after he cowardly ran back into hide says a lot about the fans.

Yeah, the 'it's just a minority' doesn't work with Leeds because it's not. A large portion of their following last night would have been looking for a bit of trouble - be that vocal or physical.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #217 on: October 20, 2012, 12:34:54 PM »
I thought the actions were scandalous and have ruined what was a pulsating derby ocassion. I hope the moron which assaulted Chris Kirkland is found and then does a spell in prison because it was an absolute disgrace. Dave Jones has had to put up with the chants from Leeds supporters for around 12 years now and it's understandable why he is getting drunk off. There's totally no need for it, especially when he was found not guilty. I also agree with Jones on the point about Colin and his team clapping the Leeds supporters which seems to condone the behaviour of their supporters last night. I also think the interview from Colin was mixed. It's ok to call the fans a disgrace but then to make fun of Kirkland kind of erases that in my opinion.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #218 on: October 20, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »
Leeds fans are complete scum. Always have been, always will. They always have the most fans arrested and banned from games. The fans need to be banned from football matches for a long time.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #219 on: October 20, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »
Fair play to Paddy Kenny haha.

He was receiving some stick from the Kop with him being an ex-Blae and his response was to pull his shorts down and show the Kop his bum. Appeared to be having a laugh with the Wednesday supporters which is quite nice but such incidents of players and oppositon fans interacting will be ignored because of the mindless idiot which decided to storm the pitch and asault Kirkland.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #220 on: October 20, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
The "it's a few spoil it for the majority" is true for most teams, even Wolves I would say (although most of their fans are complete morons. But for the likes of Millwall, West Ham and Leeds, their fans are generally unpleasant and despisable. A black mark on English football.

It's a generalisation because it's the truth.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #221 on: October 20, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »
One minute we're hysterical...quite rightly about the goings on in Serbia then we shoot ourselves in the foot the next with this sorry episode. I bet Platini and his UEFA chums are chortling to each other over a glass of the old vino tinto?

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #222 on: October 20, 2012, 10:28:16 PM »
fair enough, hold my hands up, didnt realise weds and leeds had such hatred. yes you are right though, when you think of clubs coming looking for fights, leeds and milwall especially come to mind. not generalising but looking through the sorry hooligan episodes of the 80s, this was especially the case.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #223 on: October 21, 2012, 06:06:01 AM »
The only way to make moronic fans like these learn is to deduct points. But that will never happen.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #224 on: October 22, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/leeds-fan-jailed-over-assault-on-sheffield-wednesday-goalkeeper-1-5051418

A THUG who invaded the pitch at Hillsborough and assaulted Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland has been jailed for 16 weeks.

Leeds United supporter Aaron Cawley, aged 21, of Blenheim Square, Cheltenham, ran onto the pitch during the Yorkshire derby on Friday night and slapped the owls goalie over his face - sparking outrage among fans across the country.

Furious Wednesday boss Dave Jones branded Leeds fans ‘vile animals’ and called for them to banned from all away matches after Cawley’s display.

Other Leeds fans ripped up seats and advertising display hoardings in the ground.

Cawley, who has had two Football Banning Orders in the past and been jailed for breaching them, appeared at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court today and pleaded guilty to common assault and entering the field of play.

He was arrested by police at his home address in Cheltenham and brought to South Yorkshire for questioning yesterday, where he admitted his actions and was charged.

Appearing at court with an LUFC tattoo clearly visible on his neck, Cawley watched television footage of the incident shown to as District Judge Naomi Redhouse, which was screened live to millions of fans on Friday night.

Paul Macaulay, prosecuting, told the court Cawley claimed to have been drunk when he ran onto the pitch and struck the Owls player after Leeds equalised in the second half.

He said the thug, who has already been issued with two Football Banning Orders in the past, claimed to have downed several cans of Stella, three quarters of a litre of vodka and six or seven pints of cider before the game.

The court also heard that Cawley told police he could not remember the incident.

Mr Macaulay said: “Mr Kirkland thought it was somebody celebrating excessively and perhaps taking the mickey and whilst Mr Kirkland was stood there trying to ignore him he effectively slapped him to both sides of his face.

“He, Mr Kirkland, described it as being hit like a tonne of bricks and he went straight to the floor.

“Because this was a Friday night live match on Sky unsurprisingly the internet and social networking sites lit up with his name and he was apprehended at his home address.

“He explained that he had been drinking heavily during the course of the day. He had been drinking from about 10am.

He said he was incredibly drunk. He says he remembers nothing at all from half time.”

The court heard Cawley was contacted by a friend as he made his way home from the match on a train, who told him what he had done.

The following morning he emailed South Yorkshire Police and Sky News to admit responsibility and to apologise for his behaviour, describing himself as ‘a disgrace’ and his actions as ‘inexcusable’.

Cawley’s solicitor Elizabeth Anderton said he contacted South Yorkshire Police on at midnight on Friday to accept responsibilty for his actions and followed the phone call up with an email the following morning.

She said he also spoke to a football intelligence officer from Leeds and made arrangements to hand himself in at his local police station, but was arrested at home first.

“He has expressed a great deal of remorse for his actions. He is shocked by his behaviour,” she said.

He had been drinking excessively all day.

“Mr Cawley has been shown the TV footage and cannot recall what he did.”

She said previous breaches of his Football Banning Orders had all been committed after he had been drinking.

“He does not put forward drink as an excuse for his behaviour but he knows getting intoxicated to that extent it is likely to happen,” added his solicitor.

“He was disgusted with his behaviour, extremely ashamed.”

She added: “This wasn’t in any way pre-planned - it was a drunk mistake that Mr Cawley would like to assure the public will never happen again.”

Jailing Cawley, Judge Redhouse said the amount of alcohol the Leeds fan is said to have consumed before he ran onto the pitch was not obvious

“I am told you understand you have brought shame onto the game of football by your actions,” she said.

I have heard you consumed a substantial amount of alcohol, I have watched the television footage and I have to say I don’t observe those effects of alcohol on you.”

16 weeks is quite awful really. Didn't the person which interupted the boat race get 6 months which seems to be the theme going around with this sentence.