Would you like Pepe Mel to be our head coach next season

Yes
450 (76.4%)
No
53 (9%)
Mixed feelings
86 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 574

Author Topic: Pepe Mel  (Read 325751 times)

geoff

• WBA Coach

Re: Back Pepe Mel
« Reply #825 on: April 29, 2014, 09:53:35 PM »
I would have done it on ePetitions.net, but I repeatedly got a meaningless error that I couldn't fathom out just trying to register there, and I didn't fancy the other petition websites that I looked at for one reason or another.

It's probably easiest for people to fill in the fields which can be found below the petition wording, beneath the heading that says "Sign The Petition", as what's displayed in the top right-hand corner of the screen is rather confusing. People not wanting their names revealed can put something in the Nickname field and it will display that instead of your name in the list of signatories.

I did that this afternoon & just checked it low & behold it went through (wooda) how the hell it worked God only knows.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #826 on: April 29, 2014, 10:16:36 PM »
I signed it, it's not a great system though, I got two errors at first
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #827 on: April 29, 2014, 10:18:47 PM »
Anybody who does not believe Pepe is not having a say in the way we are playing must have short memories, Do you honestly think that we would have played the high line we did on Saturday if he didn't. The back line would have been on the six yard line.
Also i can't remember getting over excited watching us play Swansea and Southampton at the start of the season .
If you don't want the bloke just say so , but don't take away the credit he deserves for getting us out ( nearly) of the massive hole the club put us in.
I honestly do not know if he will be good for us but he has more than deserved his chance and considering some of the names being suggested i don't think we have much to loose.

In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #828 on: April 30, 2014, 07:14:24 AM »
Anybody who does not believe Pepe is not having a say in the way we are playing must have short memories, Do you honestly think that we would have played the high line we did on Saturday if he didn't. The back line would have been on the six yard line.
Also i can't remember getting over excited watching us play Swansea and Southampton at the start of the season .
If you don't want the bloke just say so , but don't take away the credit he deserves for getting us out ( nearly) of the massive hole the club put us in.
I honestly do not know if he will be good for us but he has more than deserved his chance and considering some of the names being suggested i don't think we have much to loose.

You're dead right about the defensive line on Saturday. We never dropped as deep as we would have a month or two back. Seems despite what people say his message is slowly getting through.

Ole ole ole ole, Pepe Pepe!
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #829 on: April 30, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »
You're dead right about the defensive line on Saturday. We never dropped as deep as we would have a month or two back. Seems despite what people say his message is slowly getting through.

Ole ole ole ole, Pepe Pepe!

That's what I was saying to 65baggie - if Keily and Downing have saved the day and asked Mel to change his tactics at the request of the players why are we playing high pressing lines and it's working? There's been times we have sat back and defended the Clarke/Downing/Players Comfortable style and we've been dreadful.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:45:17 AM by B_H_Baggie »

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #830 on: April 30, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
Mel was the wrong appointment at the time. You only had to watch his previous clubs in Spain to see how he wants his teams to play, he must have made it clear during interviews how he sets his sides up so I still don't understand why they gave him the job. His English was pretty limited when he arrived which wasn't helping him when we needed someone to make an almost instant impact too.

It was clear to everyone that we simply don't have a squad with the attributes to play the Mel way especially being asked to make such a big change in the matter of weeks. Something simply had to give and Mel had to compromise, I don't see it as entirely player power or the coaches having too much influence its people coming together to try and do what is best for the club and that is the reason we have had a decent run of results that should see us safe now.

Our problem is how we move ahead once we know we are safe. If we keep Mel he needs to be fully backed and the players we retain will have all summer to work closely with him and adapt as much as they have to and we will need some serious work done on the squad to be able to play how Mel wants us to. This is the reason I suspect we will choose to let him go this summer, I just don't see Peace investing enough in the squad this summer to get the players needed to play that way. I hope I am wrong about this as Mel deserves a chance to put his own stamp on the team.

One thing I will add is that I won't be signing any online petition. I simply don't see what difference it will make, those with the power at the top of the club don't care what we think as long as we are still paying for tickets and buying merchandise. The only time our opinions will matter to them is when it has a negative influence on their bank balances.

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #831 on: April 30, 2014, 10:17:53 AM »
I'm very much in favour of us keeping Pepe Mel and letting him build his own team and pit his stamp on things.  He cane into a team which was failing miserably and heading for relegation and has somehow managed to turn us round and get a bit of form out of us. For this reason alone he doesn't deserve to be let go.

Like many people have said though I can't see JP keeping Mel simply because the whole reinvestment stage will take a lot of money, money which we have got but don't want to spend. To be honest this process should of happened last summer but now one season  later we have even more deadwood to ship out and even more players to recruit!

I think if given the backing Pepe will transform our club very much like Pochettino has at Southampton. It all comes down to JP though; is he willing to take a risk or is he going to go down the route of getting a boring British manager will a boring style of play that will know how to just about make us survive. 
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #832 on: April 30, 2014, 10:25:38 AM »

One thing I will add is that I won't be signing any online petition. I simply don't see what difference it will make, those with the power at the top of the club don't care what we think as long as we are still paying for tickets and buying merchandise. The only time our opinions will matter to them is when it has a negative influence on their bank balances.

While I agree with much if what you say, and a good deal of your logic is inarguable, I personally believe that wherever we disagree with decisions made that affect us then we should, nay must, make our voices heard. Even in those circumstance where we feel it will be futile.

Many on here bemoan the state of the game. The money orientation, the distance between fan and player, the power of the wealthy versus the weak. This need not have happened had, twenty five years ago, people stood against the cartel of the Premier League being established and said no, we demand a system that benefits all, not just the few. But we didn't, because we were seduced by the glamour of the new product, and because we didn't feel we would achieve anything.

Today, with our football club, we are presented with an opportunity to challenge a prospective decision and to let our views be known. Don't waste this chance to make your feelings known. Don't stand by saying "what difference will my little voice make", don't be swayed by the arch comments of posters who claim the inside track. Stand up for what you believe and even if we fail, we will at least have done the right thing. We will have tried.

In the great scheme of things this is all unimportant of course, but for 90 minutes on a Saturday afternoon it can be all that matters to most of us. Don't stand by and watch as something potentially so good is thrown away. Make your voice heard.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #833 on: April 30, 2014, 10:27:54 AM »
Pepe Mel has been with us for 3 months.With what he has had to put up with he has done a stirling job.
Without him lifting us the fans with his brand charm charisma passion and football philosophy we would be in the championship next season.
If Peace pulls the trigger then i will loose any faith i had left in him.If Mel walks i dont blame him
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:32:03 AM by Jack Russell »
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Xpresso

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #834 on: April 30, 2014, 10:29:26 AM »
While I agree with much if what you say, and a good deal of your logic is inarguable, I personally believe that wherever we disagree with decisions made that affect us then we should, nay must, make our voices heard. Even in those circumstance where we feel it will be futile.

Many on here bemoan the state of the game. The money orientation, the distance between fan and player, the power of the wealthy versus the weak. This need not have happened had, twenty five years ago, people stood against the cartel of the Premier League being established and said no, we demand a system that benefits all, not just the few. But we didn't, because we were seduced by the glamour of the new product, and because we didn't feel we would achieve anything.

Today, with our football club, we are presented with an opportunity to challenge a prospective decision and to let our views be known. Don't waste this chance to make your feelings known. Don't stand by saying "what difference will my little voice make", don't be swayed by the arch comments of posters who claim the inside track. Stand up for what you believe and even if we fail, we will at least have done the right thing. We will have tried.

In the great scheme of things this is all unimportant of course, but for 90 minutes on a Saturday afternoon it can be all that matters to most of us. Don't stand by and watch as something potentially so good is thrown away. Make your voice heard.

Well said. Agree entirely. As fans, we need to stand up and be counted.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #835 on: April 30, 2014, 10:41:49 AM »
Mel was the wrong appointment at the time. You only had to watch his previous clubs in Spain to see how he wants his teams to play, he must have made it clear during interviews how he sets his sides up so I still don't understand why they gave him the job. His English was pretty limited when he arrived which wasn't helping him when we needed someone to make an almost instant impact too.

It was clear to everyone that we simply don't have a squad with the attributes to play the Mel way especially being asked to make such a big change in the matter of weeks. Something simply had to give and Mel had to compromise, I don't see it as entirely player power or the coaches having too much influence its people coming together to try and do what is best for the club and that is the reason we have had a decent run of results that should see us safe now.

Our problem is how we move ahead once we know we are safe. If we keep Mel he needs to be fully backed and the players we retain will have all summer to work closely with him and adapt as much as they have to and we will need some serious work done on the squad to be able to play how Mel wants us to. This is the reason I suspect we will choose to let him go this summer, I just don't see Peace investing enough in the squad this summer to get the players needed to play that way. I hope I am wrong about this as Mel deserves a chance to put his own stamp on the team.

I agree with your general analysis but I don't think the assumption that you make on Peace's view of the situation is correct. The team will have stayed up by no more than 6 points it will have recorded it's lowest points total since our return to the Premier League so there is a need for change.

There are issues with the squad that will have to be addressed regardless of the style of football, whoever he appoints will want to get a Centre Forward and a Left Back for instance. Sacking Mel does not solve anything. Changing styles does involve selling players but that generates fees and with a little bit of astute trading the squad could be transformed with a net spend of no more than £10m.

The only reason for Peace to not back Mel is that the wholesale change of style and squad carries a risk, bedding in 10 plus new players can take time which might mean we slip into the relegation dog fight. If in 6 months time Mel fails we could find ourselves with a new coach yet another change of style and be faced with an expensive clear out.  However the board must have known this when they appointed Mel so either accepted that risk or were blinded by McDonough's championing of Mel. 

I don't know whether McDonough is the crux of the matter. He seemed to go from hero to zero in a matter of weeks and if Mel is now seen as one of McDonough 's bad ideas then perhaps the writing is on the wall for Mel. I do not think the club can sack him lightly and they do run the risk of damaging their relationship with the fans to a degree which could damage the club's finances but ultimately most fans could be won over by an decent appointment a few signings and a good start to the new season.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #836 on: April 30, 2014, 10:50:58 AM »
I agree with your general analysis but I don't think the assumption that you make on Peace's view of the situation is correct. The team will have stayed up by no more than 6 points it will have recorded it's lowest points total since our return to the Premier League so there is a need for change.

There are issues with the squad that will have to be addressed regardless of the style of football, whoever he appoints will want to get a Centre Forward and a Left Back for instance. Sacking Mel does not solve anything. Changing styles does involve selling players but that generates fees and with a little bit of astute trading the squad could be transformed with a net spend of no more than £10m.

The only reason for Peace to not back Mel is that the wholesale change of style and squad carries a risk, bedding in 10 plus new players can take time which might mean we slip into the relegation dog fight. If in 6 months time Mel fails we could find ourselves with a new coach yet another change of style and be faced with an expensive clear out.  However the board must have known this when they appointed Mel so either accepted that risk or were blinded by McDonough's championing of Mel. 

I don't know whether McDonough is the crux of the matter. He seemed to go from hero to zero in a matter of weeks and if Mel is now seen as one of McDonough 's bad ideas then perhaps the writing is on the wall for Mel. I do not think the club can sack him lightly and they do run the risk of damaging their relationship with the fans to a degree which could damage the club's finances but ultimately most fans could be won over by an decent appointment a few signings and a good start to the new season.

You cant blame Pepe Mel for that.What was the paltrey tally at the time prior to his appointment

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #837 on: April 30, 2014, 11:38:24 AM »

You cant blame Pepe Mel for that.What was the paltrey tally at the time prior to his appointment

I'm not nor should the board. The point being is that changing the coach and leaving the squad largely unaltered is not an option. There are options that would require less surgery but none that requires no surgery. In short sacking Mel doesn't save money
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #838 on: April 30, 2014, 11:46:39 AM »
I'm not nor should the board. The point being is that changing the coach and leaving the squad largely unaltered is not an option. There are options that would require less surgery but none that requires no surgery. In short sacking Mel doesn't save money

Have to agree. We require a major overhaul of the playing staff, which of course also lends it self to a change of style, but as you correctly say, the removal of Pepe wouldn't change the need to bring in new players.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #839 on: April 30, 2014, 12:03:44 PM »

I think that's absolutely correct, Chipperfan. If people shrug their shoulders and say "what's the point?", it often will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

There are a number of people who've said on here that they won't renew their season ticket if Pepe Mel is ousted. Only they know if they'll actually go through with that or not, but it should be communicated via whatever medium they feel is most appropriate.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #840 on: April 30, 2014, 12:06:50 PM »
Signed the petition but it doesn't list my name.... well, going by what others have said on here maybe it will show up later?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #841 on: April 30, 2014, 12:09:54 PM »
Signed the petition but it doesn't list my name.... well, going by what others have said on here maybe it will show up later?
No idea I'm afraid, but I would have expected it to appear immediately, all things being equal. I haven't set up a petition before and haven't signed one that's been hosted on this site before either. I couldn't even register on the petition site I wanted to use, so that fell at the first hurdle!

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #843 on: April 30, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »
Good stuff those who've gone on the site and signed up.

Make your voice heard those who have yet to do it!

karlos83

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #844 on: April 30, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »
Against Stoke we need to make our feelings known the support Pepe got at Swansea was fantastic I think for the Stoke game we need to leave JP in no doubt who the fans want.

Spain flags are cheap as chips on ebay, amazon, lets raise the roof singing his name.

If it is indeed his last game and lets hoe it wont be at least we will give him a lasting memory and great way to thank him for the fantastic work he's done over the last few months.

Pepe Mels Barmy Army
follow me on twitter @karljlatham

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #845 on: April 30, 2014, 02:14:12 PM »
Against Stoke we need to make our feelings known the support Pepe got at Swansea was fantastic I think for the Stoke game we need to leave JP in no doubt who the fans want.

Spain flags are cheap as chips on ebay, amazon, lets raise the roof singing his name.

If it is indeed his last game and lets hoe it wont be at least we will give him a lasting memory and great way to thank him for the fantastic work he's done over the last few months.

Pepe Mels Barmy Army

Nice one

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #846 on: April 30, 2014, 03:40:15 PM »
Done

I haven't read through the whole thread, but can this go on facebook/other West Brom sites etc.
Baggie in Southampton

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #847 on: April 30, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »
I am baffled that a petition has been started to keep him. Without being disrespectful what has he actually achieved? Too much of a wild card I think, and I am sure JP will see it that way too.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #848 on: April 30, 2014, 04:23:58 PM »
I am baffled that a petition has been started to keep him. Without being disrespectful what has he actually achieved? Too much of a wild card I think, and I am sure JP will see it that way too.

I am sure JP wont. He Must have been keen to pursue his number one target a second time when it was dead in the water after the first round of interviews.
Just accept it Mel will be here next season.
What Pepe Mel has done is stopped the Steve Clarke rot and saved us from relegation and united supporters.We can all see what he is trying to do and thats play football the Albion way. The man is a magician

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #849 on: April 30, 2014, 04:25:50 PM »
 8)

What did Martin Jol achieve this season to make you such an advisory of his?

Mel has achieved his sole objective and in trying circumstances as well.
"This crack is really moreish."