Poll

Do you want Sam to stay as manager?

Yes
103 (63.2%)
No
60 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Sam Allardyce  (Read 599081 times)

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Allardyce
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2020, 06:06:03 PM »
I'm no huge fan but it really could have been worse.

Well, here's the thing. I am. And I'm not sure it could have been, but we'll have to see.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2020, 06:08:33 PM »
I'll give him a chance, not my cup of tea, more Hodgson than Pulis as others have said.  It will be very interesting to see the team he puts out at the weekend, expecting a flat back four for starters.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2020, 06:09:49 PM »
"He guided the "Toffees" to a seven-game unbeaten run at the start of his tenure, a spell which included five clean sheets. Having steadied the defence, he stated that his next task was to bring in a consistent goalscorer.  Everton ended the season in eighth-position, but fans were dissatisfied with the style of play. Whilst under Allardyce's management, Everton were ranked 20th for total shots, 19th for total shots on target, 16th for passing accuracy and 17th for shots faced in the Premier League.  Allardyce left the club on 16 May 2018"

He's more of a Pulis than a Hodgson, don't kid yourselves.

And just to reiterate, this was a team that had Wayne Rooney, Pickford, Sigurðsson, Tosun and Walcott in it and had previously spent near enough £170 million on it in the summer.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 06:12:36 PM by boinging_along »

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2020, 06:13:18 PM »
Underwhelmed but might just be the medicine we need to see the back of Lai.

Smacks of short term thinking but his record speaks for itself. Trust Albion to be the only club he gets relegated with!

Welcome Big Sam. You’ve got some job to win us over but good luck.
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2020, 06:15:27 PM »
I’m not really sure what to think - I’m disappointed that we’ve reverted to someone like Big Sam as it just shows such a short term thinking from the club really.  No desire to build or improve anything and happy to tread water.

In terms of our safety then he’s probably one of the better options available to us - he will make us hard to beat, we will be organised and that is probably the blue print to our survival with this crop of players.

Hopefully in the mean time the owners receive an offer that sees them leave the club.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2020, 06:17:33 PM »
Its not Mark Hughes so thats one plus point , personally don't think he's anything like Pulis at his worst so will reserve judgement on Allardyce just yet .
He's had some good midfielders in his time so i hope he can get a tune out of ours.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2020, 06:18:11 PM »
A desperate and retrograde panic measure from a clueless and visionless owner/Board who have no idea how to successfully run a football club and just make up strategies on the hoof.

Stay up at any cost? I'd rather we went down if it helps to perpetuate the ultimate demise of football dinosaurs. Staying up this season would just be delaying the inevitable with the clowns we have running the club anyway.

Once again my club has been taken away from me for awhile, just like the day Pulis arrived.
Your club as not been taken away from you. That is your choice to abandon your club no one else's. Am i happy no will i abandon club no! Do i want Sam to succeed? Of course i do that means Albion succeed if he fails our club fails. 

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2020, 06:18:50 PM »
Just what I’ve seen over the years, i take it you don’t agree?  :o

Just out of interest, when was the last time you think he did a decent job and made a positive impact?  He wasn't kept around at Everton, Palace he walked out on and had spent £30m in a Jan transfer window, England he was sacked for being involved in dodgy dealings,  He kept Sunderland up, luckily - he started the season with 12 pts from 19 games. and the football was awful.  West Ham fans wanted him gone for his spending and style of football  even when they were 3rd in the Championship.  They even had to bring back Teddy Sheringham to try and keep the fans onside as an "attacking coach".

He's genuinely a more media friendly Pulis and that's about it. 

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2020, 06:20:12 PM »
Your club as not been taken away from you. That is your choice to abandon your club no one else's. Am i happy no will i abandon club no! Do i want Sam to succeed? Of course i do that means Albion succeed if he fails our club fails.
Big Sam wouldn't have been my choice but you are bang on Albion59  , there were worse names linked imo too.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2020, 06:20:48 PM »
Albion59 is spot on.

It's all a bit dramatic this club has been lost to me forever business. When Pulis took over I didnt renew my season ticket until he left. I still supported Albion and he was the right person for the job, at the time, for our position. I simply watched on TV.

When I wanted, I came back.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2020, 06:22:39 PM »
Wonder how long the talks were going on behind Slav's back? This was not a 5 minute jobby!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2020, 06:22:44 PM »

Agree with this Albion59

All the club taken away, not following the club posts are a bit of an exaggeration really.

He’s the best of a bad bunch.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2020, 06:22:54 PM »
Seems im in the minority here but ill welcome this appointment to get some real structure and solidity in our backline. Yes last night was a very good point and we looked a lot more solid but so far this season its been woeful watching our defending. I think we'll become harder to beat and it'll be exactly what we need. It doesn't detract from the shambolic structure and timing from those at the top, however. This may have been more fitting after losing to newcastle.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2020, 06:23:06 PM »
I’m not really sure what to think - I’m disappointed that we’ve reverted to someone like Big Sam as it just shows such a short term thinking from the club really.  No desire to build or improve anything and happy to tread water.

In terms of our safety then he’s probably one of the better options available to us - he will make us hard to beat, we will be organised and that is probably the blue print to our survival with this crop of players.

Hopefully in the mean time the owners receive an offer that sees them leave the club.

How can he get us hard to beat though?  He's still got to pick between Ajayi, Bartley and Ivanovic.  O'Shea and Townsend both struggle positionally.  Our best options at LB\RB are still Furlong and Gibbs.  We don't have a DM sitting on the bench screaming out to play so it's still going to be Sawyers\Livermore\Gallagher etc. 

Basically, I don't see any massive changes to the team that Allardyce can bring and if he's going to shore up the defence it's just going to mean hoofball and sitting on the edge of our box.

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2020, 06:24:31 PM »
Pulis made me fall out of love with West brom. It took awhile to get the passion back. Moore and Bilic got that back. Now I feel Sam will drag me back to the dark days. I hope he proves me wrong...

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2020, 06:25:22 PM »
How can he get us hard to beat though?  He's still got to pick between Ajayi, Bartley and Ivanovic.  O'Shea and Townsend both struggle positionally.  Our best options at LB\RB are still Furlong and Gibbs.  We don't have a DM sitting on the bench screaming out to play so it's still going to be Sawyers\Livermore\Gallagher etc. 

Basically, I don't see any massive changes to the team that Allardyce can bring and if he's going to shore up the defence it's just going to mean hoofball and sitting on the edge of our box.
We've shown against big teams we can set up and defend properly , its the lesser sides it fell to pieces under Bilic.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2020, 06:25:40 PM »

More than likely he brings in a "roughhouse" DM on loan free in Jan?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2020, 06:26:22 PM »
Nothing like a good managerial drama to bring out the pants wetting.

From 1 to Pulis, Big Sam is about a 6 (Hodgson about a 5) - The fact of the matter is we have more chance of staying up with him than Bilic so let him get on with it. (and I say that as someone who really likes Bilic and what he's about)

Would I choose Sam? no, but it's No good looking pretty if you go down anyway is it?

Those of you saying it's a panic appointment with no direction need to engage your brains a bit beyond what has happened today (which has of course, been poorly handled given yesterdays result), The fact they appointed him straight away and we didn't faf about for 3-4-5 weeks means that it's been discussed for quite some time and it's not a snap decision.

Entertainment value dropping aside (that wont be anywhere near as bad as Pulis anyway) this is potentially better for us mid to long term - Sam has a chance to stabilise us which would mean we look more enticing to would be new owners sniffing about. The American consortium we were linked with are more likely to commit to a club showing that they are likely to be in the prem next season than not, we all know this.

This could very well be the first solid stepping stone to a Lai exit and we just need to see how things pan out over the next few weeks and months.

Will it be super entertaining? no. But nothing is more depressing than watching us get spanked every week which in the main is what has been happening so far this season.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 06:35:04 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2020, 06:27:22 PM »
More than likely he brings in a "roughhouse" DM on loan free in Jan?

No such thing as free any more. Any incomings will be dependent on us moving on Austin, Grosicki etc

He/him

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2020, 06:28:47 PM »
I cannot welcome you Sam. The sooner you are sacked the better. A disgraceful appointment

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2020, 06:29:01 PM »
We've shown against big teams we can set up and defend properly , its the lesser sides it fell to pieces under Bilic.

I agree - but that's because we set up to park the bus surely?  Are we gong to be happy to see us parking the bus in every game?

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2020, 06:29:31 PM »
Well I dont agree with the slav decision but no point crying over spilt milk I guess.

Big Sam is a pragmatist hopefully closer to roy than pulis. In his positions he has had some flair players did he have okocha and djorkaeff at bolton? He took the up consolidated them and even got them into europe and always had a go at the cups?

Now if our manager tries to win games and targets the cups and tries to get our club Europe that's all I can hope for. Cup success is about all a club like ours can ever manage.

He has been in charge of blackburn when they were in a right old mess and did a good job. Newcastle and west ham ain't easy jobs poor owners high expectations and he didnt do badly at either.

He signed van annolt sclupp and milojevik (spelling unsure) all 3 are still mainstays and used by Hodgson even now.

He signed nzonzi at Blackburn, diame and creswell to west ham viduka at newcastle. Okocha at bolton so big sam not afraid to buy from abroad and happy to buy in talent.

I will give the guy a go and hope that Mr Lai sells soon.

O Albion we love you

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2020, 06:30:18 PM »
How can he get us hard to beat though? 

I think it’s quite simple really. It’s similar to what you witnessed last night.

The team will be drilled defensively in a similar vein to what Hodgson delivered back in 2011.

It has been quite clear that we have been defensively awful under Bilic this season - Allardyce will strip us back to basics, assign simplistic roles to players, drill us to be organised in a similar vein to what we’ve seen last night.

It’s safe to say that under Big Sam we will not see the likes of Crystal PLace turning up to The Hawthorns and putting 5 past us. Granted we will lose football matches but I do not think we will see the defensive horror show that we’ve seen this season.

With the likes of Grant, Robinson, Diangana and Pereira we least have some counter attacking threat.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2020, 06:30:33 PM »
No such thing as free any more. Any incomings will be dependent on us moving on Austin, Grosicki etc

Grosicki will go in my view possibly others.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2020, 06:31:00 PM »
Every single club Sam has managed since Bolton have being very vociferous in their hate for his style of football.

"Won't be as bad as Pulis"

Maybe it won't, but that's only because he doesn't have the players yet that he can just hoof it up to.