Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2349622 times)

geoff

• WBA Coach

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #6125 on: January 26, 2020, 10:50:22 AM »
Agree with this. GL hasn’t done anything wrong and has actually kept his promises!

A man of his word.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6126 on: January 26, 2020, 12:09:45 PM »
Anyone know why they are looking for £70 million investment before end of season?

This is a strange one. Been reported twice now. Does it mean he’s looking to sell for 70 million or is he giving up half of his stake? Either way hopefully his tenure is coming to an end and we’ll get someone who at least wants to watch the team he owns. The Chinese have been a disappointment and all this can’t get money out of the country I am really not sure what to make of it all

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6127 on: February 22, 2020, 11:22:00 AM »
Not getting much praise is he? It’s quite unfair.

Anyway, what do you think of this?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/832788543495740/permalink/2689079471199962

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6128 on: February 22, 2020, 11:40:13 AM »

Interesting video, my first thoughts were "Conspiracy Theory", but as I watched I began to realise that China would stop at nothing to have influence and control over the region, by seducing the population with "gifts". But is it now too late to halt their march or will it benefit us all in the long run?

Personally, I'm not happy to have a foreign entity having so much sway over us as it's taken 40 odd years to get rid of the last lot.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6129 on: February 22, 2020, 01:36:18 PM »
That is a load of rubbish, I do have little doubt that China will be the superpower in 30 years time, if you look at the speed they build rail lines they would see HS2 /3 as a sidings
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6130 on: February 22, 2020, 02:23:13 PM »
That is a load of rubbish, I do have little doubt that China will be the superpower in 30 years time, if you look at the speed they build rail lines they would see HS2 /3 as a sidings
And a hospital in 10 days.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #6131 on: February 22, 2020, 02:57:59 PM »

Stories have been around for a long time and have been posted on here, theres a Professorof Eurasian Sport who discusses it at times

https://twitter.com/Prof_Chadwick/status/1118140607338352641
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6132 on: February 22, 2020, 03:09:28 PM »
Montgomery of Alamein thought so too.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6133 on: March 10, 2020, 06:56:03 PM »
Interestingly the owner of Southampton FC, a certain Gao Ji Sheng, is seeking to offload his 80% share in the club (Sunday Times 8th March).  This would seem to contradict the claims of the above clip: https://www.facebook.com/groups/832788543495740/permalink/2689079471199962

He's allegedly seeking £250M for 80% Southampton (equiv £312.5 all in).  This makes you wonder how much Lai currently values The Albion.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6134 on: May 26, 2020, 07:00:39 AM »
Interestingly the owner of Southampton FC, a certain Gao Ji Sheng, is seeking to offload his 80% share in the club (Sunday Times 8th March).  This would seem to contradict the claims of the above clip: https://www.facebook.com/groups/832788543495740/permalink/2689079471199962

He's allegedly seeking £250M for 80% Southampton (equiv £312.5 all in).  This makes you wonder how much Lai currently values The Albion.

Thought I'd open up this topic about the speculation about Lai and a possible sale to of all people Mike Ashley.

And lo and behold the above post is very relevant to the debate that has broken out on the Covid-19 thread

To update it has been reported that the asking price has been dropped by £50m as the pandemic has worsened.

So this speaks to a couple of themes. That the Chinese and in particular Lai won't sell at a loss because of the loss of face. Yes he will because he is a  businessman and if there is no realistic route back to the £200m valuation then take a loss and move on.

My view is that if Ashley were to be interested in a club it would be one of sufficient stature that it could tick over at a mid Premier level without him investing anything other than the initial purchase price, and he then could extract whatever value he could for Sports Direct.

I honestly think we aren't quite big enough the relegation risk is a little too high. Then I thought Southampton they would be ideal. He needs to pick them up for no more than £100m for the trick to work so although the current ownership is frantically looking for the exit the valuation is still too high but watch this space.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6135 on: May 26, 2020, 04:19:48 PM »
Can we keep to discussing Guochuan Lai in this thread please. Non GL posts will be removed.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6136 on: July 16, 2020, 10:33:05 AM »
With all the furore surrounding  the Government's decision to get rid of Huawei I wonder how long it will be before the Chinese government start pulling money out of the country, and I wonder if that happens do we get sold on the cheap?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6137 on: July 16, 2020, 10:41:25 AM »
With all the furore surrounding  the Government's decision to get rid of Huawei I wonder how long it will be before the Chinese government start pulling money out of the country, and I wonder if that happens do we get sold on the cheap?

From previous conversations on the topic, GL's purchase was a private deal & probably wouldn't be effected by politics.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6138 on: July 16, 2020, 10:45:56 AM »
From previous conversations on the topic, GL's purchase was a private deal & probably wouldn't be effected by politics.

He's a Chinese business man, I would imagine the Chinese government could be very persuasive if they put their mind to it.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6139 on: July 16, 2020, 11:06:21 AM »
He's a Chinese business man, I would imagine the Chinese government could be very persuasive if they put their mind to it.

I think the comment was, "It's small beer & the Chinese government probably wouldn't be that interested"

IMO the Chinese government would be far more interested in the non-Chinese activities of Fosun.

China still has ambition to be a world player in sport, & it wouldn't be surprising to see Fosun switch their investments to European Clubs.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6140 on: July 16, 2020, 12:13:51 PM »
All non Guochuan Lai relevant posts will be removed.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6141 on: July 16, 2020, 02:46:16 PM »
I know I heard about money being stuck in China etc a while back but do we actually know his real intentions for the club? Was it to keep the books balanced and ticking over? I wouldn't want us to go Derby/Villa/Sheff Wed route of selling our ground to make money etc as I can see all those ending very badly.
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6142 on: July 16, 2020, 02:48:57 PM »
I know I heard about money being stuck in China etc a while back but do we actually know his real intentions for the club? Was it to keep the books balanced and ticking over? I wouldn't want us to go Derby/Villa/Sheff Wed route of selling our ground to make money etc as I can see all those ending very badly.

Pretty much from what I remember, a continuation of the Peace model.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6143 on: July 16, 2020, 02:51:30 PM »

Weren’t we told the reason Lai hasn’t spent much money on the club since purchasing it is because the Chinese Government have placed a hold on Chinese money/investment being spent overseas. It was explained to me the reason Fosun get around this is because their holdings are registered in Hong Kong. Probably another BS excuse fed to us Albion fans as to why there’s no substantial investment being made into the club.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6144 on: July 16, 2020, 02:52:46 PM »
Pretty much from what I remember, a continuation of the Peace model.

The very model we need to get away from.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6145 on: July 16, 2020, 02:56:57 PM »

Being self sufficient isn't something to deviate from.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6146 on: July 16, 2020, 05:04:10 PM »

Why do we need to get away from it? And what model shall we use? Last time we deviated from the tried and tested we got relegated and financially hamstrung due to money wasted.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6147 on: July 16, 2020, 05:36:58 PM »
You never give Tony Pulis money to burn (by our standards) because his rack record shows, burn it he will.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6148 on: July 16, 2020, 08:17:54 PM »
Why do we need to get away from it? And what model shall we use? Last time we deviated from the tried and tested we got relegated and financially hamstrung due to money wasted.

Spending money wasn’t the problem. Having rubbish players and managers had a lot to do with it!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6149 on: July 16, 2020, 10:24:10 PM »
The Chinese government and it's attitude to overseas investment is to some extent Lai's problem not ours although I have to feel a little uncomfortable about the prospect of the club's future possibly being impacted by the backwash in Anglo Sino relations which may be anything other than straightforward.

There is no tap of investment to turn off so what we never have had we can't miss. If the club is self sustaining there is no particular threat. Even a forced sale hurts the owner not the club itself. As has been discussed given that Lai paid too much for the club assest stripping does not give him a return and getting the club back to the Premier League and selling the club as a viable self sustaining entity is Lai's only hope of retrieving the bulk of his investment.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.