Author Topic: 5 Jan 2020 Charlton Ath 0 Albion 1 (FA Cup Round 3)  (Read 32238 times)

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Pre Match Chat
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2020, 09:50:19 AM »
I really don’t get this ‘tired’ business or ‘he needs to be rested’

At their ages I used to work probably between 50 and 60 hours a week building up a business and getting paid a tiny fraction of what these players earn for doing something they love that involves a half days training and that’s  not even every day culminating with maybe having to turn out for 90 minutes once a week and earn a shed load of money.

Really, these poor, ‘tired’ little souls don’t know what it’s like in the real working world and are happy to accept being pampered in the way they are.

Don’t agree. That’s a bit of a tired argument to be honest and just smacks of envy.

The players are trained, played and rested so that they are at peak condition for the game that we pay to watch. There’s a huge amount of research, technology and skill that manages their fitness levels and aims to reduce risk of injury.

As a fan I want the club to manage their assets in the most effective way.

The fact that you and I work different hours in different jobs for less money is irrelevant.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2020, 11:02:54 AM »
Don’t agree. That’s a bit of a tired argument to be honest and just smacks of envy.

The players are trained, played and rested so that they are at peak condition for the game that we pay to watch. There’s a huge amount of research, technology and skill that manages their fitness levels and aims to reduce risk of injury.

The fact that you and I work different hours in different jobs for less money is irrelevant.

Took the words from my mouth. They could all still play 3 or 4 games a week if needed, but it risks them picking up injuries and crucially, they won't perform to their optimum.

It's aling the same lines as marginal gains theory - just not so marginal.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2020, 11:26:04 AM »
I understand the science and the need to have players playing to their optimal levels.

I do think it’s a little concerning how off the pace we have looked against some other sides with similar schedules. Especially as a decent number of our squad have been able to get some rest minutes.

Johnstone, Ajayi and Livermore are the only ones who I don’t think had a rest in December.

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2020, 12:03:33 PM »
Never thought it possible i would say this but i will be delighted if we lose.... a draw would be UNFOREGIVEABLE      if we are drawing with 10 mins left we should switch to a 2 3 5 formation do or die

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2020, 12:04:37 PM »
Rest the lot of them.

Bond or Al Habsi

Townsend, O Shea Hegazi Ferguson

Edwards. Harper, Brunt, Krov, Willock

Zohore

Tulloch and co on bench

Don't think you'll be too far off with that. I do think there will be some experience on the bench though. Austin didn't play against Leeds for example
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »
Yes i would swop Krov out for Barry now. Have Krov Austin and whoever on the bench

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2020, 12:16:36 PM »

There is a world of difference between professional & amatuer sport, & you're correct in the training for physical fitness, but in my opinion the psychological & mental stresses of performing constantly to an elite level must be colossal, & it's these areas that the tiredness really creeps in.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2020, 12:48:23 PM »
I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game far more than I am the early start. I'd love a decent run in the Cup to kickstart the second half of the season too. Up for the Cup. COYB  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2020, 02:58:36 PM »
I really don’t get this ‘tired’ business or ‘he needs to be rested’

At their ages I used to work probably between 50 and 60 hours a week building up a business and getting paid a tiny fraction of what these players earn for doing something they love that involves a half days training and that’s  not even every day culminating with maybe having to turn out for 90 minutes once a week and earn a shed load of money.

Really, these poor, ‘tired’ little souls don’t know what it’s like in the real working world and are happy to accept being pampered in the way they are.
Good for you
I’m assuming if I drop 250k in your bank this afternoon you would be able to play against elite professional tomorrow afternoon and cover on average 8k..
Money in the bank does not = physical fitness
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

cad

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2020, 03:03:11 PM »
Because this is a cup game not a league game will there be chance of streams does anyone have an idea?

The game is on TV on a Croation/Serbian channel and a Danish/Swedish/Finnish channel so there is a chance of a stream, but I would say it is a slim chance.

PortsmouthBaggie

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2020, 06:53:00 PM »
Haven’t been to Charlton since the old away pub shut down. Where’s best nowadays for pre match beer?

rogerstubbs

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2020, 07:27:13 PM »
It is on Eurosport and bet 365

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2020, 07:42:29 PM »
Bowyer has said that he won't make many changes to the side that played vs Swansea, but it's hard to believe he won't give a few of his key players a rest. They are already playing youngsters in the league so even if he swaps a few in for this game, it should still be quite a young side they put out.

If he doesn't make many changes, it might work out well for us next week. The key names Charlton fans say need resting are Tom Lockyer and Darren Pratley, with Conor Gallagher also ideally needing resting. This would leave their midfield very green though (even with Joe Ledley brought in).

Fingers crossed this isn't a drawn game. Attacking subs will be needed if necessary.

Boing Boing

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2020, 07:51:26 PM »
Always love this weekend and hate it if we lose as it means the dream is dead for another year. For this reason I hope we give it a good go. That being said, we have to look at the big picture so changes are a necessity. There are enough players with a point to prove though sl, get it right and we can make multiple changes and still compete.
If go 433.

Bond

Ferguson
Hegazi
O'shea
Brunt

Harper
Barry
Sawyers

Edwards
Austin
Zohore

Willock at least to make the bench.

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2020, 09:48:34 PM »
Sh!t but I hope we lose. FA cup has had it. It don't sit well me that I'm thinking this way but it's the way it is these days. .. sad huh ?
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2020, 10:32:49 PM »
Can see Dara  O'shea in one of the full back slots , he's done it for Hereford and Exeter .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2020, 10:37:02 PM »
Sh!t but I hope we lose. FA cup has had it. It don't sit well me that I'm thinking this way but it's the way it is these days. .. sad huh ?

I hope we win, but a draw is an awful result and I'd rather we lost than went to a replay. The FA Cup should be a priority for midtable Prem teams with good squads - we had that for years and never gave it a proper go. Until we're back that position then it's irrelevant to us, no matter how many of the top clubs get knocked out there's always going to be 14+ teams with better squads than us - whereas if we got a bit of luck in the 3rd/4th round as a Prem club then we could end up 4th/5th favourite to win it.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2020, 11:03:02 PM »
All the first xi rested and give Willock 90mis with the rest of the squad players. If it's a draw give them another 90 mins each in the replay.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2020, 09:51:03 AM »
Train line between Bham New Street and Bham International blocked all trains cancelled those who haven't set off yet on the train will need to go via Moor St and use the Chiltern line and check return journey options
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

rogerstubbs

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2020, 10:59:10 AM »
Accordingly only being broadcast by Eurosport outside uk

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2020, 11:34:37 AM »
En route. New ground for me, not many left on the list now.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2020, 11:51:21 AM »
Is it on telly?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2020, 11:52:48 AM »
Is it on telly?

Only in Eastern Europe.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2020, 01:08:10 PM »
Almost got it right but he tsarted Zohore and Austin together with Fitzwater. Willock on bench.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2020, 01:28:40 PM »
Happy with that team.

Looks like Brunt is on the wing, unless Zohore is going to be deployed out wide. Was always obvious he would go with 2 strikers today.

8 kids in the squad, 4 starting (really happy to see Harper getting a start - wouldn't shockme if he goes Charlton on loan eventually). While Willock is on the bench, i'd be surprised to see him used due to what i've said previously.

Exciting that we will some academy kids from the bench. Soule, Tulloch, Richards or Shotton have a very real chance of getting some game time today.

Boing Boing - up the Baggies. Lets commence operation Robert Earnshaw.

Boing Boing