Author Topic: Semi Ajayi  (Read 89111 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Semi Ajayi
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2019, 09:51:41 PM »
The Daily Mail have actually broken the last few things that we've done i remember somebody pointing it out on twitter so i fact checked and it was correct, so fingers crossed, seems decent.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 10:16:18 PM »
The Daily Mail have actually broken the last few things that we've done i remember somebody pointing it out on twitter so i fact checked and it was correct, so fingers crossed, seems decent.

Despite their reputation, The Daily Mail are usually quite reliable with football gossip and don't break things unless there's substance.

Anyway, I would be absolutely delighted if we got him, especially at £1.3 million which is ridiculously cheap in this day and age. He is a great player at this level - I saw him a few times last season and he's exactly what we need. The only thing I heard was Stoke want him and he's played with their manager before, but hopefully we can close the deal.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2019, 10:22:27 PM »
You don’t think they put the decimal point in the fee too far forward do you?  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2019, 10:33:45 PM »
You don’t think they put the decimal point in the fee too far forward do you?  ;D

Well, there's a Rotherham journalist saying they rejected £2.5 million from us which honestly sounds more plausible. This one would really sting if he ended up at Stoke.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2019, 10:46:09 PM »
Well, there's a Rotherham journalist saying they rejected £2.5 million from us which honestly sounds more plausible. This one would really sting if he ended up at Stoke.
    How  come Stoke are suddenly  being named ?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2019, 10:57:57 PM »
Trying to get some sort of handle on the fee. Ajayi has just 12 months left on his contract so Rotherham pretty much have to sell but even allowing for that the reported £1.3m seems a little light would have guessed at around £2.5m if he were on a longer contract up to about £6m but that is around the ceiling for a Championship level midfielder joining a Championship club.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:37:58 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2019, 07:15:59 AM »
    How  come Stoke are suddenly  being named ?

Because their manager has worked with him and also wants to buy him. Hopefully he sees sense and avoids them like the plague  ;D

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2019, 08:08:54 AM »
I would have thought if Stoke had wanted him they would have gone for him by now as they haven’t messed about and done deals early

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2019, 08:17:15 AM »
There is not even a hint anywhere that Stoke are interested.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2019, 09:03:15 AM »
After reading about this lad and the fee involved it's one of those 'too good to be true' signings.
Fingers crossed we get him and he's as good as they say.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2019, 10:11:27 AM »
Confirmed by Matt Wilson.

Matt Wilson@mattwilson_star
#wba have now agreed a fee with #rufc for Semi Ajayi. In the region of £1.5m up front. Very shrewd business in my opinion. Young, versatile player.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:14:18 AM by koren »
The PRIDE of midlands

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2019, 10:12:43 AM »
Confirmed by Matt Wilson.

Matt Wilson@mattwilson_star
#wba have now agreed a fee with #rufc for Semi Ajayi. In the region of £1.5m up front. Very shrewd business in my opinion. Young, versatile player.

Bargain.

Sky also reporting he's on his way for a medical, if we can get Ajayi and Zohore in today that will be a good bit of business.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2019, 10:14:47 AM »
Bargain.

Sky also reporting he's on his way for a medical, if we can get Ajayi and Zohore in today that will be a good bit of business.

Hopefully both wrapped up today so they can play a part in tomorrows friendly.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2019, 10:26:32 AM »
From Sky tranfer zone:

WEST BROM AGREE AJAYI DEAL

West Brom have agreed a deal to sign Semi Ajayi from Rotherham  and the defender is currently on his way to the Hawthorns to undergo a medical, Sky Sports News understands.

The Baggies have beaten off competition from two other clubs, one of them Barnsley, to sign the player.

Rotherham manager Paul Warne said last week that two offers from separate Championship clubs had been rejected.

Ajayi was named in Rotherham’s squad for Wednesday night’s friendly against Bradford Park Avenue, but was the only player not used by Warne in the game.

If the final details of his package are agreed quickly, he could be an Albion player in time to feature against Scunthorpe in tomorrow’s friendly at Glanford Park.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:28:26 AM by Dan87uk »
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2019, 10:28:51 AM »
Two permanent signings! That is very pleasing it shows the club are looking longer term now.

I'd also hope there's money in the bank maybe for one more big signing (the second striker?!) and then i reckon we'll be on the loans.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2019, 10:34:07 AM »
 Bargain at 1.5m. Happy days. Get it done.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2019, 11:24:15 AM »
Good to see us buying somebody who can play in a couple of positions, something we did a lot during our successful spell at the turn of the decade.

Interesting to see where Bilic ends up playing him though. A lot of Rotherham fans seem to think his best performances come from midfield as he can be a bit accident prone at the back. Hopefully we are buying him with a long term view to playing in midfield.
Boing Boing

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2019, 11:26:49 AM »
Pleased to see bodies coming through the door.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2019, 11:41:45 AM »
Good to see us buying somebody who can play in a couple of positions, something we did a lot during our successful spell at the turn of the decade.

Interesting to see where Bilic ends up playing him though. A lot of Rotherham fans seem to think his best performances come from midfield as he can be a bit accident prone at the back. Hopefully we are buying him with a long term view to playing in midfield.
Injury to Hegazi may dictate where he plays for the foreseeable future.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2019, 01:24:24 PM »

He's going to have a baptism of fire, hope he is up to it. Not a dig as i know nothing at all about the lad
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2019, 01:51:07 PM »
A versatile, young footballer joining the club with a potential resale value.

Much better attitude to recruitment.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2019, 01:58:22 PM »
He's going to have a baptism of fire, hope he is up to it. Not a dig as i know nothing at all about the lad
he excelled in a poor Rotherham team at both CDM and CB so he’s not the problem, playing alongside Bartley while Hegazi is out will be the true test.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2019, 03:06:52 PM »

I suppose it depends on if we get another centre back. I hope we do. Reece Oxford on loan I would imagine is a possibility (although that is a bit 2+2=4).

We needed a commanding midfielder either way so still might be in for another centre half.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2019, 11:03:09 AM »
Ajayi confirmed by the club. Getting slightly back on track now but still a lot of work to do.

Welcome Semi.
Boing Boing

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2019, 11:04:12 AM »
Confirmed on OS

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/july/albion-add-ajayi-to-ranks/

Albion have today completed the signing of Semi Ajayi from Rotherham United for an undisclosed fee.

The 25-year-old became the third recruit of the summer window after he agreed a four-year contract with the Baggies.

Measuring in at an imposing 6ft 5in, Semi followed 6ft 2in Kenneth Zohore into the building to certainly add even more height to Albion’s numbers.

The Croatian midfielder, Filip Krovinović, is the other addition to the squad so far as Albion continue a summer rebuild under new Head Coach Slaven Bilić.

Semi caught the eye in both games against the Baggies last season, a campaign which saw him achieve his best goals tally with eight in all competitions.

At home either in defence or as a defensive midfielder, Semi has grabbed the No.6 shirt for the forthcoming Sky Bet Championship campaign.

“It’s a great opportunity for me,” he said. “I want to play at the highest level and I have joined a club with the ambition to get there.

“I want to play my part in helping the team get promoted because that is definitely the target.”
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty