Author Topic: Harvey Barnes (recalled to Leicester)  (Read 163304 times)

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Harvey Barnes (on loan from Leicester City)
« Reply #275 on: September 30, 2018, 08:48:05 AM »
barnes is our best player... end of discussion
No it’s not. ;D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

keithowba86

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #276 on: September 30, 2018, 09:05:03 AM »
No it’s not. ;D
Nothing else to discuss surely? Talk of him having 'quiet' games is nonsense!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 12:18:24 PM by OldburyWBA »

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #277 on: September 30, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »
Barnes in my opinion is our best player,the last 3 games he has been below par,but he looks like the player that can mostly make something happen,his finishing ability and final release decision making hopefully will come,but if he already had this ,he would not be on loan to us

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #278 on: October 01, 2018, 08:27:43 AM »
Nothing else to discuss surely? Talk of him having 'quiet' games is nonsense!

so you don't think he had a quiet game at Blues and also on Saturday? Against Blues he was pretty much marked out of the game and on Saturday was a lot less effective against a fairly poor midfield, maybe it's that we seem to play with less intensity away as at home he is a lot more dynamic. That's not a criticism of him as he's only 20 and still learning, he's going to have quiet games where he will struggle to make an impact all players do.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #279 on: October 01, 2018, 08:53:03 AM »
I would argue Gayle is our best player personally as he does it week in week out.

Barnes, when he is on it, is superb, but I am struggling to recall an away game where he has truly fired this season.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #280 on: October 01, 2018, 09:47:49 AM »
he was very ineffectual against Blues, and seemed really off his game in the win against Millwall (which was one of the things that made that win so satisfying for me).

However, any scouting team worth their salt would surely report back......

don't let Barnes run at pace against our defence!!  ensure he is never left isolated in midfield and allowed to turn!!  and teams must  now be putting tactics in place to try and stop this. 

it is the very top players that then work out what to do when the opposition is trying to stop them as an individual......this is probably the part of his game he needs to develop.  he is still incredibly talented, able to turn and run with the ball and pick a decent forward pass.  he has scored some wonderful goals but could have done better with a few other opportunities (not passing the ball to Gibbs unmarked on the 6 yard box springs to mind) and is no where near the finished article yet.   We shouldn't be completely reliant on a 20 year old and It is great that we are still taking the points without him being man of the match every game.

But....when he is on his game, does find space and running at pace WOW! other than Koumas I can't remember another player in my watching history going back to a kid in the 80's who could just go past a player like he does.   If any other players do spring to mind please drop their names on here as it would be nice to have my memories rekindled.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #281 on: October 01, 2018, 10:00:08 AM »
Simon Garner

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #282 on: October 01, 2018, 10:07:19 AM »
Somen Tchyoi
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #283 on: October 01, 2018, 10:28:13 AM »
Laurie

sadly, never saw Laurie....something tells me I wouldn't have forgotten him.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #284 on: October 01, 2018, 10:28:58 AM »
Simon Garner

my main memory of Garner is watching him smoking a fag in the tunnel at half time...

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #285 on: October 01, 2018, 10:29:37 AM »
Somen Tchyoi

now that dude was fun!!  if only he'd had more control of those legs

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #286 on: October 01, 2018, 10:31:38 AM »
now that dude was fun!!  if only he'd had more control of those legs

the lack of leg control or thought process were his prime assets, IMO, as you say fun to watch though,   The baggies Paulo Wanchope !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #287 on: October 01, 2018, 11:59:41 AM »
Somen Tchyoi

He came on as a sub and scored right in front of us at Fulham away. Was an a very well taken goal but very straightforward by his standard. Think he got the ball just knocked it on the outside of a defender and lashed it in. Almost felt let down when I was telling my wife that this guy will just do some crazy stuff with the ball; although by her standards scoring a goal for West Brom is probably crazy.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #288 on: October 01, 2018, 01:04:59 PM »
And with that we'll move back to Harvey Barnes...

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #289 on: October 01, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »
he was very ineffectual against Blues, and seemed really off his game in the win against Millwall (which was one of the things that made that win so satisfying for me).

However, any scouting team worth their salt would surely report back......

don't let Barnes run at pace against our defence!!  ensure he is never left isolated in midfield and allowed to turn!!  and teams must  now be putting tactics in place to try and stop this. 

it is the very top players that then work out what to do when the opposition is trying to stop them as an individual......this is probably the part of his game he needs to develop.  he is still incredibly talented, able to turn and run with the ball and pick a decent forward pass.  he has scored some wonderful goals but could have done better with a few other opportunities (not passing the ball to Gibbs unmarked on the 6 yard box springs to mind) and is no where near the finished article yet.   We shouldn't be completely reliant on a 20 year old and It is great that we are still taking the points without him being man of the match every game.

But....when he is on his game, does find space and running at pace WOW! other than Koumas I can't remember another player in my watching history going back to a kid in the 80's who could just go past a player like he does.   If any other players do spring to mind please drop their names on here as it would be nice to have my memories rekindled.

Think you have summed it up nicely there 24, especially about him having to find/learn to find that bit extra in games when he is being heavily marked / nullified. 
It can be hard to remember at times that he is only 20 and still has so much to learn to go with his undoubted natural ability.
I'll carry on enjoying his development for this season.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Harvey Barnes (on loan from Leicester)
« Reply #290 on: October 03, 2018, 10:32:02 PM »
This kid is a genius, and tonight he has scored the goal of the season. Superb
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #291 on: October 03, 2018, 10:48:56 PM »
He's got the pace and power to do the 60 yard runs which take players out of the game. He can finish with either foot and his control at pace when he gets to the business end is impressive.
In certain games, especially when he's being closely marked high up the pitch, we need to use him from deep to carry the ball. It gives an extra dimension which basically won us the game v Bristol City and got us a point tonight.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #292 on: October 03, 2018, 10:51:04 PM »
Quality player who will be an asset to his parent club, only came a live in closing stages but what a goal.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #293 on: October 03, 2018, 10:51:07 PM »
This lad has unreal talent

Unfortunately I can see Leicester recalling him with his form at the min

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #294 on: October 03, 2018, 10:52:49 PM »
This lad has unreal talent

Unfortunately I can see Leicester recalling him with his form at the min

Everybody has the same horrible feeling. Hopefully they do the right thing And barring a injury crisis at Leicester let him finish the season with us as their the ones who will benefit in the long run
O Albion we love you

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #295 on: October 03, 2018, 10:52:54 PM »
He's got the pace and power to do the 60 yard runs which take players out of the game. He can finish with either foot and his control at pace when he gets to the business end is impressive.
In certain games, especially when he's being closely marked high up the pitch, we need to use him from deep to carry the ball. It gives an extra dimension which basically won us the game v Bristol City and got us a point tonight.
spot on when he dropped deeper and more central he got more into game.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #296 on: October 03, 2018, 10:56:36 PM »
he's got fantastic balance when he runs with the ball, so much like Koumas but with a better attitude. he's still learning but what a future he could have.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #297 on: October 04, 2018, 10:56:44 PM »
Could be good news for us,Madison called up for England squad.
So he's way ahead of Harvey.
Why would Leicester need him?
Only as back up.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2018, 11:07:26 PM »
They may want to call him back to sit on the bench (terrible in my opinion if they did!), but surely he should be thinking about staying here to get more and more experience. IMO the lad's the best player in this league and he seems fairly level headed, so hopefully that means he won't let his heart rule his head (if his love of Leicester would draw him back should the offer come up in January). He also seems to be enjoying his time here and he's getting plenty of games. Can't really see why he'd go back in January.

I can see him playing for Liverpool one day. I just think he suits their style, can't really see him at Man City as they tend to go for homegrown or foreign players, but certainly one of the big clubs.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #299 on: October 05, 2018, 04:10:56 AM »
Shame he's a Leicester fan, otherwise he could do a George Thorne and force a permanent move to us.

Doubt he'd cost the same £1.5m we got from Derby for Thorne.

I think if given the choice he would pick a promotion challenge then sitting on the bench.

If we are still up there at Xmas the situation is completely different to the Barnsley situation last season where he was hovering just above the relegation zone and therefore not so much of a wrench to leave them.