Michael O'Neill
Gary Megson
Martin O'Neill
Paul Cook
Tony Mowbray
Slaven Bilic
Nigel Pearson
A.N. Other please state

Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 202109 times)

Mikkyk

• Youth Baggie

Re: New Manager
« Reply #1550 on: May 18, 2018, 12:38:16 AM »
I am deeply suspicious of the players rallying around Moore. If they are happy in their comfort zone if they aren't going to have a coach that challenges them and pushes them to be better individually and not to revert to the cowardly option of Pulisball then we are really are going to waste the next 12 months. It won't end well for club coach or players.

We have to move on.

I think this is what concerns me more than anything about the DM appointment.

If the current crop are happy with DM then you can bet your bottom dollar they will be the same lot turning up half arsed on the pitch and handing in transfer requests when the going gets tough - Sunderland mark 2.

DM just seems like too much of a continuation of the old regime.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1551 on: May 18, 2018, 01:21:57 AM »
I think this is what concerns me more than anything about the DM appointment.

If the current crop are happy with DM then you can bet your bottom dollar they will be the same lot turning up half arsed on the pitch and handing in transfer requests when the going gets tough - Sunderland mark 2.

DM just seems like too much of a continuation of the old regime.

To be fair, the going has been as tough this year as it has since I can remember, and the lads have played for him. I don't see why that would change. Some players still have a few years on their contract, do you not think they'd be desperate to get back into the PL?

If he's offered the job, we all need to get behind him. He brought the family back together and has brought back our love for the Albion.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1552 on: May 18, 2018, 02:22:36 AM »
If he's offered the job, we all need to get behind him. He brought the family back together and has brought back our love for the Albion.
Exactly.

OllieTheBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1553 on: May 18, 2018, 05:21:53 AM »
IF it goes wrong he will be sacked like any other manager. The guy is Albion through and through and in this day and age that is a rare commodity.

Exactly, We're risking one of the most promising young Albion coaches because people are too impatient to let him develop properly and get a proper chance later down the line.

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1554 on: May 18, 2018, 05:27:29 AM »
To be fair, the going has been as tough this year as it has since I can remember, and the lads have played for him. I don't see why that would change. Some players still have a few years on their contract, do you not think they'd be desperate to get back into the PL?

its amazing how quick people have forgot thats its the same players that got us relegated and the same players that we need to get rid of asap...they want big dave cause he' s a mate but it guarantees brunt a position next season  1 good cross in 10 and he has a wand of a left foot! sorry first one on the bench, big dave wont change anything, nice bloke yes they may run through brick walls now but they still only know one way of playing...rubbish boring football

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1555 on: May 18, 2018, 05:49:27 AM »
He's one of us! Let's get behind him, I for one know that the big fella will do his very best for the club more than some have over the last couple of years

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1556 on: May 18, 2018, 06:42:03 AM »
We deserve everything that's coming to us. Lai makes Peace look like Abramovich.
Darren Moore made manager at a time that could make or break us. I still think i am having a nightmare.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1557 on: May 18, 2018, 07:59:50 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44159208

West Brom: Darren Moore set to be confirmed as Baggies manager.
The man who I voted above for.
Just hope he doesn't let us down.
He earned his spurs.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1558 on: May 18, 2018, 08:00:49 AM »
I really hope that  the players views have not held any sway in whatever decision is made. Foster described Pardew as a breath of fresh air at the start and said the same about DM.
If they are asked to give a view by the media they are hardly likely to say 'well he's OK but I'd prefer someone else to come in'.
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1559 on: May 18, 2018, 08:04:33 AM »
can see megson coming in as no2 and brunt been made captain..oh yes the start of big dave pulis 😂

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1560 on: May 18, 2018, 08:08:08 AM »
If he is allowed to have some new players, he may stop playing a team which Pulis selected.
Dave was lumbered with cart horses, perhaps now we can get a few stallions in.

mrmojorisin

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1561 on: May 18, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »
Amazing! Big Dave goes from hero to zero before he is even officially appointed. What a bunch of moaning Minnie's on this board.

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1562 on: May 18, 2018, 08:25:44 AM »
Really excited for next season. Great to have a baggies man at the helm, if appointed. So what if there is a risk, football is all about taking a risk or a gamble. Might just be the start of a great new era for the baggies and after Pulis and Pardew what better way to show the type of club we are and appoint one of our own, giving a young coach a chance. We were always a family club, brave in making decisions against the everyday formula, with a bit of flair for something different..........weren't we??

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1563 on: May 18, 2018, 08:38:55 AM »
all i ask is that the brand of football improves. Hopefully Big Daves mindset( when he gets his own players in) is still not that of the worst footballing coach we have had in Pulis
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1564 on: May 18, 2018, 08:44:58 AM »
Think you need a good cop bad cop. We should have got McInnes in as manager who can get them fired up and Big Dave as his assistant. I’m worried this is too soon for him to take charge with such an important season ahead.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1565 on: May 18, 2018, 08:49:28 AM »
all i ask is that the brand of football improves. Hopefully Big Daves mindset( when he gets his own players in) is still not that of the worst footballing coach we have had in Pulis

Like you I hope that once Moore has got players in that he wants we see a change in style from the very Pulis/Megson like tactics we saw at the end of the season....I hope Moore was very much playing to the strengths of the players he had rather than that being his football philosophy.

I think Pardew was worse than Pulis. Pulis is rank bad and the football is painfully dull but it does at least have a plan (a very negative plan but a plan non the less), Pardew is just totally shambolic without any discernible plan.
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1566 on: May 18, 2018, 08:51:32 AM »
Not confirmed by the club just yet - let's wait for the announcement first as it wouldn't be the first time we've thrown the media a curveball with our recruitment news.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1567 on: May 18, 2018, 09:10:56 AM »
Think you need a good cop bad cop. We should have got McInnes in as manager who can get them fired up and Big Dave as his assistant. I’m worried this is too soon for him to take charge with such an important season ahead.
I agree with every word, don't get me wrong i love Darren Moore and will back him all the way. I just hope the job isn't too big for him and in 6 months time everyone is against him, i would hate that to happen. Good luck Darren i think you might need it.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1568 on: May 18, 2018, 09:16:08 AM »
Remember Chris Hughton at Newcastle.  That was his first role as a manager and got Newcastle promoted. Hopefully Darren will do the same.
BOING BOING

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1569 on: May 18, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »
Welcome to the reality of where Pulis has got us....Big Daves foremost brief will be to ensure we reach the safety zone of 44/45 points and don't plunge further, so you can imagine the type of football we will have to put up with. We have now officially joined ranks with Notts Forest, Ipswich, Norwich and so on....... :(

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1570 on: May 18, 2018, 09:29:13 AM »
Not confirmed by the club just yet - let's wait for the announcement first as it wouldn't be the first time we've thrown the media a curveball with our recruitment news.

Think you need to accept it mate.

If we didn't give him the job after it's being reported by numerous outlets. The bad publicity on the club would go on all summer and beyond. BAME etc.

If we didn't want Moore we needed to say so in a statement  and give good reason after that Southampton vs Swansea game.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1571 on: May 18, 2018, 09:32:41 AM »
This will have been far from an easy decision from the board, they will be fully aware of the risks. I wouldn't imagine Darren got a text saying "Go on then you can have a go", there would have been lengthy discussions about budgets, structure, style of play, transfers etc. and he has obviously convinced them that he can tick all the boxes. Add to that, they know him extremely well, so he won't be able to blag them like a smooth talking outsider could (Pardew)

Dean Smith has an ok CV, but nothing spectacular, despite many more years "experience". Big Dave is an unknown quantity in terms of managing, so yes that's an undoubted risk, but his pedigree is there. More than anything though, for me, he has a genuine passion for our club, he's not in it for the money, or a stepping stone to greatness. His one focus will, absolutely, be to do what's best for WBA and that is priceless.

I have recruited many people over the years and I would always prefer to promote from within. Identifying someone with ambition and the skillset you need, coupled with an in depth knowledge of your business, it's processes and people, rather than someone with an inflated CV who can blag an interview, is a no-brainer for me.
It's very rare you get the chance to do this in football and I, for one, am glad we have grabbed it with both hands. It's been a long time since I have felt any real affinity to a player or manager of our club but, Big Dave feels like a kindred spirit, like we are in it for the same reason and I love him for that.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1572 on: May 18, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »

Think you need to accept it mate.

If we didn't give him the job after it's being reported by numerous outlets. The bad publicity on the club would go on all summer and beyond. BAME etc.

If we didn't want Moore we needed to say so in a statement  and give good reason after that Southampton vs Swansea game.

I'm not against it being Moore at all, but I do think he needs an older established right hand man to make sure he is properly supported and to help catch any potential mistakes a newer manager can make.

Style of football wise, I think for the last few games he just went back to basics with the Pulis built squad to 10 behind and hoof as he knew that's how they were built to play - i'd hope with a pre-season and a few signings under his belt he can transition us to have at least some decent attacking intent instead of 10 behind the ball all game.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:36:40 AM by Dan87uk »
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

AbDabs

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1573 on: May 18, 2018, 09:48:40 AM »
What DM did with the squad was get the best out of what he had - Pardew tried to 'open up' and play more expansive football but the current squad wasn't capable of doing so. He would have been mad to continue down that route.
He now has the chance of a full close season working with old and new players and we can argue about HIS style of football when we've had a fair amount of games to judge it in my opinion.
We finally have a bit of unity at the club and I for one am looking forward to next season for the first time in a few years!

Big Al

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1574 on: May 18, 2018, 09:55:44 AM »
Not my personal choice but will start with a clean slate. Let’s see what happens over the summer and get behind the team.
One thing is certain we need to have a decent start to unite the support behind the team. Having gained promotion under Merson and Billy Davies expansive football would be a surprise but as usual success would masks a lot of those issues.