Michael O'Neill
Gary Megson
Martin O'Neill
Paul Cook
Tony Mowbray
Slaven Bilic
Nigel Pearson
A.N. Other please state

Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 329365 times)

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: New Manager
« Reply #1500 on: May 17, 2018, 08:36:10 PM »
I wonder if we'd have given the last caretaker manager the rest of the season after Pulls was sacked if we'd be in this position.
I think Megson would have kept us up.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:37:42 PM by caravanc58 »

RICH ONE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1501 on: May 17, 2018, 08:37:50 PM »
Hope we go and appoint Big Sam tomorrow just  to see the reaction on here.

We went for experience to try and stay in the Premier League  and look what happened. We appointed the worst manager in the clubs history.

Big Dave deserves his chance all these young managers have to start somewhere . What is saying Dean Smith would do the job any better . Who ever gets the job has a major job on his hands. Big Dave needs a experienced number two alongside him someone like Shakespeare to guide him.

What I am sure Moore would  not take on such a big job if he didn't think he can handle it. Let's get behind him and see what route it takes us,

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1502 on: May 17, 2018, 08:39:59 PM »
So we've appointed an Italian Director of Football with years of experience at some of the biggest clubs throughout Europe, who has been in discussions with Jenkins whose remit it is to achieve the owners desires of playing attacking football and getting back into the PL, and the best they can come up with is the guy who was already at the club in the head coach role?

Smacks of the easy option yet again, in fact, it is the easiest and cheapest option we could have possibly gone with. It doesn't seem to matter who we employ to make decisions at this club, they always take the easy option.

I was hoping for Smith as I think he would be perfect for us, but I thought Terraneo might have been able to come up with some continental managers who could transform the club in the same way that the likes of Jokanovic and Nuno have. I'll be very disappointed and underwhelmed with Moore, happy for the guy as he's a lovely bloke, but I have little confidence he will be able to transform the playing style and, based on the team selections and substitutions he made in his 6 games, I'm worried about his tactical astuteness.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1503 on: May 17, 2018, 08:42:18 PM »
So we've appointed an Italian Director of Football with years of experience at some of the biggest clubs throughout Europe, who has been in discussions with Jenkins whose remit it is to achieve the owners desires of playing attacking football and getting back into the PL, and the best they can come up with is the guy who was already at the club in the head coach role?

Smacks of the easy option yet again, in fact, it is the easiest and cheapest option we could have possibly gone with. It doesn't seem to matter who we employ to make decisions at this club, they always take the easy option.

I was hoping for Smith as I think he would be perfect for us, but I thought Terraneo might have been able to come up with some continental managers who could transform the club in the same way that the likes of Jokanovic and Nuno have. I'll be very disappointed and underwhelmed with Moore, happy for the guy as he's a lovely bloke, but I have little confidence he will be able to transform the playing style and, based on the team selections and substitutions he made in his 6 games, I'm worried about his tactical astuteness.

Alternatively our Italian Director of Football with years of experience thinks DM is the right bloke for the job.

But then, why would he do that:
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1504 on: May 17, 2018, 08:42:34 PM »
Could there still be a twist in the tale?

West Brom target Brentford manager Dean Smith following Premier League relegation

Article posted 6 hours ago

Source: https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/west-brom-target-brentford-manager-dean-smith-following-premier-league-relegation-a3841916.html
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1505 on: May 17, 2018, 08:45:02 PM »
Could there still be a twist in the tale?

West Brom target Brentford manager Dean Smith following Premier League relegation

Article posted 6 hours ago

Source: https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/west-brom-target-brentford-manager-dean-smith-following-premier-league-relegation-a3841916.html

Hilarious. What will the whingers and hysterics do if that comes off?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:51:00 PM by Chipperfan »
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1506 on: May 17, 2018, 08:55:34 PM »
well 11.2% voting have got their wish,not a very big percentage
Quite a decent percentage given the amount of options

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1507 on: May 17, 2018, 09:00:50 PM »
Is there a difference in practice?

Mikel Arteta closing in on Arsenal job with Man City expecting his departure

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/17/mikel-arteta-closing-arsenal-job-man-city-expecting-departure/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1508 on: May 17, 2018, 09:10:49 PM »
Who would have been that appointment then mate?

My choice would be dean smith but there's no way appointing dean smith from Brentford would get people flocking to the ticket office
I have made my choice from the realistic options perfectly clear throughout this thread, but was hoping Terraneo may have come up with an unconsidered option . Smith I think would have got more wavering sth to renew than Big D in my book if only because Big Disappointment will be seen by many as the club trying to do things on the cheap. For what's required look at our last 2 promotions and the style of our managers then
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1509 on: May 17, 2018, 09:13:27 PM »

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/17/mikel-arteta-closing-arsenal-job-man-city-expecting-departure/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The only difference is Arteta hasn't taken any points off Liverpool Spurs and Manchester United...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1510 on: May 17, 2018, 09:13:36 PM »
If it is big Dave he deserves a fair crack at the whip.

You can bang on about the style of football but Moore reverted to what the current crop of players are food at, compact and score from set pieces.

We saw what happened when a manager came in and tried to get this lot to play. Let’s give him a summer to get his own players in and see what style of play he looks to play ( if he is appointed that is).

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1511 on: May 17, 2018, 09:14:22 PM »

They've gone totally continental and basically appointed one the best in the business Sven Mineslat to buy their players. This is a route we'll have to go down if we appoint Big Dave most probably and one I'm not a fan of. You're essentially appointing a puppet whose team will never be their own.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1512 on: May 17, 2018, 09:24:35 PM »
If it is big Dave he deserves a fair crack at the whip.

You can bang on about the style of football but Moore reverted to what the current crop of players are food at, compact and score from set pieces.

We saw what happened when a manager came in and tried to get this lot to play. Let’s give him a summer to get his own players in and see what style of play he looks to play ( if he is appointed that is).

He will get a fair crack at the whip...everyone will be delighted if he's a success.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1513 on: May 17, 2018, 09:30:14 PM »
They've gone totally continental and basically appointed one the best in the business Sven Mineslat to buy their players. This is a route we'll have to go down if we appoint Big Dave most probably and one I'm not a fan of. You're essentially appointing a puppet whose team will never be their own.

Wasn’t this always JRP’s preferred structure and didn’t he build towards that with previous Head Coach appoints during his tenure, with the exception of Pulis?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1514 on: May 17, 2018, 09:38:19 PM »
In fairness Scooby, it is the same system that has worked well for years on the continent and all over the world, as well as in most sports, particularly American ones.

A coach does not also have to be the general manager. You can hire people to oversee the longer term vision, and the vosch looks after firat team affairs. It is better than thr system we havr had the last couple of years (it worked well under Ashworth when we establushed ourself in the top flight initially).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:48:41 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1515 on: May 17, 2018, 09:46:04 PM »

The only difference is Arteta hasn't taken any points off Liverpool Spurs and Manchester United...
And Darren Moore. was a coach under Pulis and Pardew not Pep
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1516 on: May 17, 2018, 09:48:48 PM »
John Percy reporting DM as new manager in the Telegraph
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1517 on: May 17, 2018, 09:51:24 PM »
John Percy reporting DM as new manager in the Telegraph

I think that’s a bit premature as he used the word “poised”

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/17/darren-moore-poised-named-west-brom-head-coach/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1518 on: May 17, 2018, 09:53:26 PM »
It's all part of an evolutionary process we're going through.
By and large, most evolutionary processes are more sustainable than revolutionary ones.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1519 on: May 17, 2018, 09:53:43 PM »
I can't say I'm overjoyed by this news, but Darren will get my support. I look forward to hearing very soon what his intentions are going to be for our style of football because, for me at least, he doesn't get a free pass to play with a Pulis style simply because he's not Pulis. I don't want such a style of play to ever be regarded as successful again - I want to see it die the death that it deserves.

Darren's got a very big job on his hands, so I think he needs someone very experienced alongside him to help him steer his way through the inevitable choppy waters that will occur from time to time. Also, as others have said, less cliché-ridden press conferences would be good too, otherwise what's already going to be a long season will become very, very long indeed!

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1520 on: May 17, 2018, 09:56:06 PM »
In fairness Scooby, it is the same system that has worked well for years on the continent and all over the world, as well as in most sports, particularly American ones.

A coach does not also have to be the general manager. You can hire people to oversee the longer term vision, and the vosch looks after firat team affairs. It is better than thr system we havr had the last couple of years (it worked well under Ashworth when we establushed ourself in the top flight initially).

Just alluding to the fact that Arsenal will have a World Class set up above whoever they bring in.

If you manage people you want to be in a position to choose who works for you as such. Such a problem if we go down a route where potentially we appoint someone who will be given a group of players to work with. Jokanovic at Fulham has not been backed as he'd liked and missed out on players in past jobs he wanted but has done well irrespective so its not the be all and end all.

We will literally have a mixed bag of newbies everywhere.

wbatillidie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1521 on: May 17, 2018, 10:04:41 PM »
Astonishing comments on here. After just a handful of games it seems that many members on here know exactly how Moore will want to set out a team.

While I ended up edging toward Smith, I'm delighted with Moore if thats the way we go. He will instill pride back in the club, and so long as he sets out to win games without long ball, I'm happy.

But isn't that exactly the problem some people have with the appointment? You're absolutely right, no one knows how Moore will want to set out a team, so why are we hiring him to rebuild our squad into an attacking outfit?

I will be completely behind him if he gets the job obviously, and every appointment for such a difficult job is a risk, but this just seems like a far greater risk than we need to be making.

I just don't understand if the two top targets were Moore and Smith, and as reported keeping Darren as a coach had to happen, surely the both of them is the more logical option.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:07:06 PM by wbatillidie »
"You'll never get past Claudio"

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1522 on: May 17, 2018, 10:07:51 PM »
We can't judge either way on a 6 game spell. If we hire on 6 games do we fire based on 6 games? If we do frankly we may as well hire coaches on a game by game basis.

It is a step into the dark we are about to take I'd rather we didn't but in the overall scheme of things there were worse outcomes. 

For what it's worth I'm not that impressed with the Arteta or Gerrard appointments short apprenticeships followed big jobs in that regard Darren has more miles on the clock than either.

Incidentally with the multiple sources saying this is a done and odds at 1/10 if bets are still being taken at all this is a done deal. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1523 on: May 17, 2018, 10:10:48 PM »
Hey Scooby,get into the real world this is how its been in euroland for years and how its going here,if Dave fails,we say thanks and goodbye but the whole club doesn't fall apart,you just get rid of one or two,Dave will be head coach not manager,his job is the first team squad others do the rest its not one man running everything.
By the way isn't Scooby door a puppet,I think Dave thinks highly of you too.
These so called fans who sit on the fence saying doom and gloom first then dropping out the but I hope he succeeds,please.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1524 on: May 17, 2018, 10:23:27 PM »
Looks like it could all be confirmed signed sealed and delivered tomorrow. Absolutely delighted at the move. I think all this talk of "it's a risk" and "it could backfire" is total rubbish. Any new manager regardless of experience is a risk. We could appoint Wenger for example and people would say "he has never managed at this level it's a risk" best of luck to you Darren and thanks for giving us our club back towards the end of the season.