Author Topic: Building for 18/19  (Read 32874 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Building for 18/19
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2018, 08:51:44 PM »
Low value release clauses let the player off the hook of the flex down clauses. They are entirely for the benefit of the player.

If the player can't find a club to trigger the release clause (which are so pitifully low that they would have to be injured not to find one) otherwise they take the 50% pay cut for a season in the Championship.

The Evans clause is so bad that the player actually has a vested interest in us being relegated.

In all probability the players would have not signed for us without the clauses. It is really simple we should have stuck to our guns and not under any circumstances given in to their demands. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2018, 09:18:29 PM »
If we manage to shift somebody of the books to Everton I would take a straight swap for that lookman he looks a decent player and he's quick and koumas esque ball carrier  (exactly the type of player we need) and needs game time. If you had the likes of him and Burke in the side with a solid midfield base we would be pretty dangerous imo

Long shot but how about Rooney? Not enjoying himself at Everton but could provide a leadership/Terry role next season? Only an idea but we need leaders
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2018, 10:10:28 PM »
Long shot but how about Rooney? Not enjoying himself at Everton but could provide a leadership/Terry role next season? Only an idea but we need leaders
No more £100K per week players thanks
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2018, 10:14:36 PM »
Dream ticket Allardyce and Rooney,
Club bled dry by mercenaries from scouseland, wonderful idea ! Building for the future not !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2018, 06:49:31 AM »
We have a serviceable first xi in a 4-2-3-1 provided we get a head coach who plays a passing game e.g. Dean Smith

Foster

Nyom      Dawson Hegazi Gibbs 

Field    Livermore*

Brunt           NEW PLAYER      Burke

Jay Rodriguez

*On balance I would still unload Livermore even though he has looked a lot better under Moore he might have a release clause and in any event we might be able to cash in on his England International status although if he is still here I think he would be at least okay in the Championship.

Evans, Chadli and Rondon have release clauses and won't be here.

I would release or listen to offers for every other player except the youngsters.

e.g. Leko, Harper, Fitzwater and Wilson all of whom should be in the squad.

If the likes of McClean, Phillips or Robson-Kanu are still here that's okay as back up but they aren't 1st choice.

Our priorities then become

1. As good as Goal keeper as we can attract for back up / long term replacement for Foster
2. A number 10
3 A striker to rotate with Rodriguiz

Obviously there would need to be other additions but those would be the top priorities and where we should spend the bulk of the money it would also depend on who stays or goes over the course of the summer.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2018, 09:14:22 AM »
We have a serviceable first xi in a 4-2-3-1 provided we get a head coach who plays a passing game e.g. Dean Smith

Foster

Field    Livermore*

Jay Rodriguez

*On balance I would still unload Livermore even though he has looked a lot better under Moore he might have a release clause and in any event we might be able to cash in on his England International status although if he is still here I think he would be at least okay in the Championship.

I would release or listen to offers for every other player except the youngsters.

If the likes of McClean, Phillips or Robson-Kanu are still here that's okay as back up but they aren't 1st choice.

1. As good as Goal keeper as we can attract for back up / long term replacement for Foster
2. A number 10

Obviously there would need to be other additions but those would be the top priorities and where we should spend the bulk of the money it would also depend on who stays or goes over the course of the summer.

Not a bad first team but still lacks a ball carrier in central midfield to help move us up the pitch. Field looks promising but I wouldn't pin my hopes on him for the whole championship season to do this vital role. I can see Dawson going and even maybe Gibbs from the team you put up. We definitely need firepower as it can cover up a lack of quality elsewhere in the team in the championship. We should push the boat out to get two more goalscorers of real quality, one of which can play a lone striker role. As well as a box to box midfielder, I agree we need a creative number 10 too to link up midfield and attack. It's been a long while since we tried to play through the lines (since Pulis came in actually) and we just don't have the current players to do it effectively. I'd keep McClean and Phillips in the championship as I think they can be very useful over the season.

Having said all of this, next season will be defined by desire and commitment - have it and we should be top 6, don't have enough and we'll languish (maybe much) lower than this. The character of new signings will be critical - we need players with something to prove .

The championship is slog and we need a good squad with options not just a decent first team which you can get away with more in the premier league more so (and we did for a few years).

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2018, 09:32:20 AM »
Not a bad first team but still lacks a ball carrier in central midfield to help move us up the pitch. Field looks promising but I wouldn't pin my hopes on him for the whole championship season to do this vital role. I can see Dawson going and even maybe Gibbs from the team you put up. We definitely need firepower as it can cover up a lack of quality elsewhere in the team in the championship. We should push the boat out to get two more goalscorers of real quality, one of which can play a lone striker role. As well as a box to box midfielder, I agree we need a creative number 10 too to link up midfield and attack. It's been a long while since we tried to play through the lines (since Pulis came in actually) and we just don't have the current players to do it effectively. I'd keep McClean and Phillips in the championship as I think they can be very useful over the season.

Having said all of this, next season will be defined by desire and commitment - have it and we should be top 6, don't have enough and we'll languish (maybe much) lower than this. The character of new signings will be critical - we need players with something to prove .

The championship is slog and we need a good squad with options not just a decent first team which you can get away with more in the premier league more so (and we did for a few years).

Jack Wilshere available on a free.
If we could persuade him to drop down one and keep him fit we'd have some player.
Depends on who the next manager is really and the type of football they like to play.
Will it be a Mogga or a fat Sam?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2018, 10:01:39 AM »
I'm not that sure Rondon will leave. A release clause gives him the option to get out of a contract, he may chose not to take up the option. (the same applies with Craig Dawson if he also has a release clause).

Allegedly Rondon is happy, & his family are settled here, if it becomes something of a wrench, I think he may well give it another year.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2018, 11:57:49 AM »
Jack Wilshere available on a free.
If we could persuade him to drop down one and keep him fit we'd have some player.
Depends on who the next manager is really and the type of football they like to play.
Will it be a Mogga or a fat Sam?

Wilshere would be great but unrealistic for us I'd think. Surely he'd have half of the premier league after him at least , plus he'd probably be on 100k+ a week.

I don't think we need world class just someone who 1) will actually play (unlike Morrison or Chadli) and 2)  someone who can score/ create regularly (remember Dorrans was amazing in the championship with us for a while in a team playing through midfield.

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2018, 12:34:35 PM »
Wouldn't mind us going for Bradley Dack of Blackburn. On about 19 goals and 8 asists this season from midfield, Division1 player of the season.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2018, 01:08:35 PM »
I'm not that sure Rondon will leave. A release clause gives him the option to get out of a contract, he may chose not to take up the option. (the same applies with Craig Dawson if he also has a release clause).

Allegedly Rondon is happy, & his family are settled here, if it becomes something of a wrench, I think he may well give it another year.

Nothing to stop him joining either of the locals if they both get promotion :(

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2018, 01:24:27 PM »

Foster

Field    Livermore*

Jay Rodriguez

2. A number 10

I agree with a few variations
Matt Phillips would replace Brunt on the right, Brunty either becomes left back as I think Gibbs will leave or will have to fight it out for a spot
We don't need 2 holding midfielders so if Field is to play that role he must be a dynamic box to box player
JRod for me is a must keep
From the list of availables banded around I think Henessey, Wiltshire Fellani and Luke Shaw would be good but apart from Henessey I cant see us attracting the others
We obviously need another couple of good forwards as Rondon and Robson Kanu can go (Rondon I think will want to go abroad and Kanu is a must go)

nick_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2018, 02:14:11 PM »
I agree with a few variations
Matt Phillips would replace Brunt on the right, Brunty either becomes left back as I think Gibbs will leave or will have to fight it out for a spot
We don't need 2 holding midfielders so if Field is to play that role he must be a dynamic box to box player
JRod for me is a must keep
From the list of availables banded around I think Henessey, Wiltshire Fellani and Luke Shaw would be good but apart from Henessey I cant see us attracting the others
We obviously need another couple of good forwards as Rondon and Robson Kanu can go (Rondon I think will want to go abroad and Kanu is a must go)

Luke Shaw and Jack Wilshere? Are people living in cloud cuckoo land? We're about to become Championship plodders not battling it out for top 6.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2018, 02:23:52 PM »
In fairness, I thought he was talking about Wiltshire the county. We probably have more chance of purchasing the county...

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2018, 02:28:46 PM »
In fairness, I thought he was talking about Wiltshire the county. We probably have more chance of purchasing the county...

LOL... we wouldn't stand a chance of getting Wiltshire if we remained in the Premier League. The only reason he would drop a league would be for money, lots of it, weekly...he is way off our radar.
MAGA!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2018, 04:43:39 PM »
Nothing to stop him joining either of the locals if they both get promotion :(
Probably doesn't fit Wolves current style though

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2018, 08:18:35 PM »
We're getting relegated and there are suggestions of players who we'd do well to attract if we were a Premier League club   ???

We need to be looking at youth, both from abroad and poaching from lesser Championship teams. Without knowing who is leaving and what positions we will need filling, or even who is going to be head coach, it is difficult to make any predictions on how we might line-up or who we might be targeting. I'll make a quick list of Championship players who I would like to see us target this summer either as first choice or as competition:

Bartosz Bialkowski (30) - GK - Ipswich
Daniel Bentley (24) - GK - Brentford

Chris Mepham (20) - CB - Brentford
Joe Worrall (21) - CB - Nottingham Forest
Aden Flint (28) - CB - Bristol City
Liam Moore (25) - CB - Reading
Joe Bryan (24) - LB - Bristol City
Rico Henry (20) - LB - Brentford

Ben Pearson (23) - DM - Preston
Ronaldo Vieira (19) - DM - Leeds
Ryan Woods (24) - CM - Brentford
Bobby Reid (25) - AM - Bristol City
Romaine Sawyers (26) - AM - Brentford
Luke Freeman (26) - AM - QPR
Bradley Dack (24) - AM - Blackburn

Jarred Bowen (21) - RW - Hull
Matty Cash (20) - RW - Nottingham Forest
Ollie Watkins (22) - LW/CF - Brentford

Abel Hernandez (27) - CF - Hull
Che Adams (21) - CF - Birmingham
Ben Brereton (19) - CF - Nottingham Forest

Not a definitive list by any means. I've left out some players who play for teams that might be promoted, and those who will definitely be moving to Premier League clubs regardless, e.g. Ryan Sessegnon and James Maddison. If we can add a few of these to the experienced spine we already have, plus a couple of foreign gems then I think we will be in a good position for next season.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2018, 10:30:47 PM »
A few points.

I started with a 4-3-3 with a deep sitting play maker with 2 central midfielders ahead them playing behind 3 forwards. However that was 2 new players and besides none of those linked with the job set up that way.

In general we are way too reticent in giving young players responsibility and we have to at some point we have to take the chance on the likes of Field. Megson described Field as having the best passing range of the current squad and it is unlikely that we will upgrade that in the Championship we have to use that talent if we don't we may as well let him go.

We have been mired in squad mentality and as a consequence we have  the current mess. First priority is getting a first xi that works then worry about backing it up. Lots of options is more often a muddle of not really good enough players rather than a clear starting xi that works.

Defensive midfielders is a particularly useless label. Livermore/Field/Barry/Yacob/Kychowiack are all described as Defensive Midfielders but plainly very different players.

In a 4-2-3-1 with inverted wingers the 3 behind the striker are supported by over lapping full backs this is a very attack orientated formation and the complete opposite to the rigid version deployed by Pulis, The two deep sitting midfielders are there to provide cover but equally keep the opposition penned in for long periods.

The need for a ball carrier is not so important if we aren't playing with an out and out screening midfielder (yacob) in a low block.

I wouldn't under estimate the challenge just getting in the 3 priority players that I out lined and there is no way can look to the Premier League as a source of players unless the player concerned is well down the pecking order at a bottom half club or a youngster who would benefit from a loan.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2018, 11:20:19 PM »
 ;) Would still like to retain Claudio. An underrated player who could see out his career with us. Also don't write off Mulumbu to do a job in the Championship league.

I reckon these 2 would be extremely solid for next season and bring a bit of "spirit" back to the team.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2018, 08:47:52 AM »
Much as I loved YOussef, and I did! He couldn’t hold down a position at Norwich and was second fiddle to Tettey!!!
Pulling up trees at Killy is no recommendation for a club aspiring to bounce straight back to the premiership
A romantic signing and those rarely work out sadly
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2018, 04:27:36 PM »
It would seem that Dawson is the fourth player with a release clause and he also being heavily linked with Burnley it also means that Livermore isn't the 4th man. 

That would put a major dent in the back 4 and would require us to go into the market for a starting Centre Half.

That would give us 4 key hires during the summer

- Centre Half
- Striker
- Number 10
- Goalkeeper.

There would be others but in order to have a functioning first xi those are the priorities

I honestly don't want us to play with a screening defensive midfielder and much as I like Yacob unless we partner him with a very specific combination of midfielders it doesn't work at all  or we tend to drop into a deep sitting block. I think we need to move on tactically.

Among the bilge in his post match comments Klopp did make 1 valid point, we will have a lot more of the ball in the Championship we need to be able to use it a lot better than we have for the last 3 of 4 years.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2018, 08:48:52 PM »
The biggest name we could potentially sign this summer in terms of a midfielder (or indeed full stop) would be Santi Cazorla and that would still be in the region of unrealistic. Back in training according to BT and I wonder just how many clubs would take a punt given the severity of his injury. Doubt he'd drop down, but depending on how settled etc. he is in the country might sooner stay than go back to Spain.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2018, 09:12:27 PM »
The biggest name we could potentially sign this summer in terms of a midfielder (or indeed full stop) would be Santi Cazorla and that would still be in the region of unrealistic. Back in training according to BT and I wonder just how many clubs would take a punt given the severity of his injury. Doubt he'd drop down, but depending on how settled etc. he is in the country might sooner stay than go back to Spain.
Yes afraid it is a bit unrealistic. Even if he was on half his current wages that would be a fair wack for us next year.....we shouldn't risk high wages on anyone who hasn't played for 18 months.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2018, 06:54:30 AM »
The last thing we need to sign are "big names" when will people learn that if a "big name" wants to join us it is a tacit admission that they aren't the player they once were and they are eking out the last few pay days before they are finished with the game. Our worst signings have been "big names". A summer of team building with the emphasis on youth and potential no big names and no signings because they will hold a place in the team because of their "leadership qualities" and not much else. 

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2018, 06:58:52 AM »
The last thing we need to sign are "big names" when will people learn that if a "big name" wants to join us it is a tacit admission that they aren't the player they once were and they are eking out the last few pay days before they are finished with the game. Our worst signings have been "big names". A summer of team building with the emphasis on youth and potential no big names and no signings because they will hold a place in the team because of their "leadership qualities" and not much else.
Absolutely spot on Stan, I cannot believe some of the names being proffered on this forum.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride