Author Topic: Craig Dawson  (Read 326169 times)

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

Re: Craig Dawson
« Reply #1775 on: June 30, 2019, 09:25:42 AM »
That’s weird because I’ve heard really good things about O’shea

I would expect O'Shea to take the "Adarabioyo" role this season i.e. third / forth choice centre half. He's only just 20 so still very, very young for a central defender but had a good season at Exeter in a team that conceded less goals than all but three teams in the division. He played 27 times last season and has also starred for Republic Of Ireland U21's. I wouldn't be surprised to see him given some game time here next season in the event of injuries / suspensions.

Jack Fitwater on the other hand had a disappointing time at relegated Walsall last season, failing to nail down a starting place. I'd expect him to be sent out on loan again. At almost 22 though we may take the view that he's not progressing as we'd like and look to sell him to a lower league club.

With Bartley and Hegazi the only two recognised senior central defenders on our books we'll almost certainly be bringing in a replacement for Dawson - should he leave of course (you can never be 100% certain till it's done).

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1776 on: June 30, 2019, 09:46:56 AM »
Not sure if it’s been mentioned previously but how much of this fee do Rochdale end up getting?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1777 on: June 30, 2019, 10:18:57 AM »
Not sure if it’s been mentioned previously but how much of this fee do Rochdale end up getting?

Good point, Hopefully, that clause in the contract was time limited, but you wouldn't gamble on it
My posts are my personal views and any links or external inclusions are not necessarily an endorsement by me.
I'm an ordinary bloke with no hidden agenda, here just to enjoy all things Albion etc.

It's all about opinions, so don't shoot the messenger if he/she has a different view to you!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1778 on: June 30, 2019, 10:21:06 AM »

I would expect O'Shea to take the "Adarabioyo" role this season i.e. third / forth choice centre half. He's only just 20 so still very, very young for a central defender but had a good season at Exeter in a team that conceded less goals than all but three teams in the division. He played 27 times last season and has also starred for Republic Of Ireland U21's. I wouldn't be surprised to see him given some game time here next season in the event of injuries / suspensions.

Jack Fitwater on the other hand had a disappointing time at relegated Walsall last season, failing to nail down a starting place. I'd expect him to be sent out on loan again. At almost 22 though we may take the view that he's not progressing as we'd like and look to sell him to a lower league club.

With Bartley and Hegazi the only two recognised senior central defenders on our books we'll almost certainly be bringing in a replacement for Dawson - should he leave of course (you can never be 100% certain till it's done).

Fitzwater does not turn 22 until later this year but I agree this is the crunch point. He is going into the last year of his contract so that forces the decison. Not quite sure what went on at Walsall but they started the season okay dropped Fitzwater and then slid down the table and didn't reinstate him which I find odd. It really is either he get's a spot on the squad and a contract extention or he moves on don't see any point in another loan move. O'Shea being a year or so younger if he doesn't make the squad then a loan move could be benefical.

In general we have to push the academy graduates harder and that means putting them into the Senior squad and not filling it with okay Senior Pro's. They are good enough technically otherwise they would not have made it onto the first rung of the professional ladder. It is a question of getting experience and I am not always convinced that the loans at a lower level have the right impact.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1779 on: June 30, 2019, 10:23:47 AM »
Good point, Hopefully, that clause in the contract was time limited, but you wouldn't gamble on it

Probably lose £750-900k to Rochdale which does make it a poor deal for ourselves :(

How much will it take to adequately replace a first teamer ?
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

koren

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1780 on: June 30, 2019, 10:24:10 AM »

Fitzwater played 20 games for Walsall in 1st half season.
Poor decision by the club to recall him in January, during that time Walsall signed Dan Scarr and Russell Martin.
That's why he lost his place after re-joined them in 2nd half season.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 10:26:25 AM by koren »
The PRIDE of midlands

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1781 on: June 30, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »
Fitzwater played 20 games for Walsall in 1st half season.
Poor decision by the club to recall him in January, during that time Walsall signed Dan Scarr and Russell Martin.
That's why he lost lost his place after re-joined them in 2nd half season.

No where near first team material.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1782 on: June 30, 2019, 12:39:21 PM »
Probably lose £750-900k to Rochdale which does make it a poor deal for ourselves :(

How much will it take to adequately replace a first teamer ?

A lot less (net) than it would next summer when he’d have left for nothing.  At least we will currently have more than £5m towards his replacement.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1783 on: June 30, 2019, 01:00:20 PM »
If this is going through, I have feeling it has to do with Dawson's sulk earlier last season. I can imagine the club said, stay with us this season, and if we fail to get promotion, we won't stand in your way if a decent offer comes in the summer.
Still represents a considerable weakening of our defence. What would the back 4 be?
Nyom, Bartley, Hegazi, Gibbs?  Or O'Shea in the mix. Maybe Livermore can do a job in there as he has limited creative ability in midfield.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1784 on: June 30, 2019, 01:08:34 PM »
What idiot is putting valuations on player's Dawson worth 10 million plus in today's market.

We sold McClean to Stoke for £5.5 million, rising to £6 million who was also in his final year here at the same age. To a Championship team with less money.

On that basis Dawson should be nearer £10 million. It's not the 90's anymore.

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1785 on: June 30, 2019, 01:11:45 PM »

As an aside Burnley moved on to Ben Gibson who they bought for £15m some would argue he is better than Dawson but he is certainly younger and has some potential resale value. The summer before we were interested in Gibson reportedly offering £20m for the player yet 'Boro wanted a fee closer to £30m. At the time they didn't need to sell but by the time Burnley came calling the fee was a much more reasonable £15m,why? Because 'Boro needed to sell and the player had given them a season of Championship football and wasn't keen on giving them a second and after a season in the Championship wasn't quite the hot property he was the year before.

As for replacing Dawson that depends on who else we retain, I certainly would expect both O'Shea and Fitzwater to be considered as squad options for the season.

What about Gibson himself, he wants out of Burnley and Burnley want rid, could be a deal worth having
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1786 on: June 30, 2019, 01:28:05 PM »
As I said yesterday I'd have hoped for £7 million, but this is by no means a derisory off we shouldn't have accepted.

Regards can we replace him for that? Well Dawson himself, Jonas Olsson and Gareth McAuley cost us less than a 3rd of this fee combined.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1787 on: June 30, 2019, 02:08:11 PM »
As I said yesterday I'd have hoped for £7 million, but this is by no means a derisory off we shouldn't have accepted.

Regards can we replace him for that? Well Dawson himself, Jonas Olsson and Gareth McAuley cost us less than a 3rd of this fee combined.

Totally agree Jacko. An average defender entering the final year of his contract and who doesn't really want to be at the club. Good bit of decisive business from the Albion.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1788 on: June 30, 2019, 02:09:49 PM »

Yes but back in those days we had a scouting system and club that knew what it was doing, now we're a shambles and we can't keep pulling rabbits out of a hat. The cost of players had at least doubled since then as well. It's far harder to get a bargain. Very interesting summer with the state of our squad and all the upheaval. Huge amount of work to be done to get a team together that has any chance of competing at the top of the table. We're closer to the other end at the moment.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1789 on: June 30, 2019, 02:50:36 PM »
Good fee for a player in decline. Doubt he'll be a starter for Watford, certainly won't be in my dream team.
He's contributed over the years and was good value for money but was never an outstanding player and his antics mean he will not be remembered.
Move on.

KN22

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1790 on: June 30, 2019, 03:09:28 PM »

I think it’s a decent deal all things considered

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1791 on: July 01, 2019, 01:15:14 PM »
Its a good fee for a very limited player who does not want to be at the football club.

His time here has shown that if he's not sat on the edge of his six yard box, dealing with incoming crosses then he is a very limited player.

Time to reinvest some money into a footballer who does not treat the ball as a hot potato, providing that is the way that Billic wishes to take us.
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1792 on: July 01, 2019, 01:24:28 PM »
Considering we're talking about a 29 year old, who has one year left on his deal, and previously refused to play for the club on two occasions, I think it's a decent fee.

I would have taken the money last Summer, but this will do.

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1793 on: July 01, 2019, 01:39:33 PM »
Was ok as a right back in a team Pulis set out but now he has moved to his preferred centre back position I haven’t been all that impressed. His passing was poor at times last season. I think Hegazi is our best defender and walk be gutted if someone comes in for him

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1794 on: July 01, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
It’s all academic now, he’s gone according to the official site.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2019/july/dawson-joins-hornets/

Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1795 on: July 01, 2019, 03:34:21 PM »
Tara Craig
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1796 on: July 01, 2019, 03:53:05 PM »
All the best.

Done well to get a 4 year deal out of them  :o

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Craig Dawson joins Watford
« Reply #1797 on: July 01, 2019, 04:00:15 PM »
i wondered why he was grining like the cheshire cat when he came back  to training last week. no big loss for me but good luck
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1798 on: July 01, 2019, 04:03:33 PM »
How many players do we now need to sign to equal last season’s numbers? Is it TWELVE!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1799 on: July 01, 2019, 04:30:31 PM »
I personally feel he will be more of a loss than people seem to think. Under a decent manager last season, that back four alone would have won us the league.

We need to replace him as I do not wish to see Bartley as a regular.