3 (10.7%)
Anichebe
2 (7.1%)
Berahino
0 (0%)
Mulumbu
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: 20 Jan 2013 Albion 1 Everton 1  (Read 64520 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Pre Match Chat
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2014, 02:10:57 PM »
We need to keep tabs on both their fullbacks and not just Lukaku. They aint unbeatable.We are at home so expect at least a point
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: A View From the Opposition
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2014, 02:19:18 PM »
Really pleased to see Everton doing well - a real club with real supporters. This was a good read, they seem pretty grounded and the assessments of both us and them are fair. I would really be interested to read in more depth what they thought of Anichebe, For sure we overpayed, but did they really think he was that bad?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2014, 02:23:47 PM »
Anyone know if Billy Jones is fit or not? We really need him for this one, otherwise I fear the worst as I have been really impressed with Everton this season. I think we will lose simply because it is too soon for PM to put his stamp on the team and, quite simply, they are better than us.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2014, 05:21:39 PM »
A really good read thanks as ever to Liam for doing them. I have always preferred Everton over Liverpool and they have been the team which have impressed me the most this season. They still have that very good organization and been hard to break down, but they are playing some really good football now too.  I hope they make the top four this season.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

Re: Team
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2014, 05:42:16 PM »
 ;D jones at right back if fit, ollson centre half, although our back three lack pace.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2014, 06:35:05 PM »
                    Foster

Jones  McAuley  Olsson   Ridgewell

Mulumbu   Yacob

Amalfitano      Gera         Brunt

Vydra

Subs: Myhill, Dawson, Popov, Morrison, Sessegnon, Sinclair, Berahino

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Predictions
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2014, 06:59:28 PM »
WBA 2-2 Everton

FGS Berahino

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2014, 07:00:42 PM »
Foster

Reid
McAuley
Olsson
Ridgewell

Mulumbu
Yacob

Amalfitano
Gera
Brunt

Berahino

wolly wombat

• WBA Newbie

Re: Predictions
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2014, 08:43:18 PM »
WBA 0, Everton 1. (Anichebe og)

MICKYMEL

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2014, 09:24:38 PM »
                                                 foster

jones          Gmac                             olsson         ridgewell

yacob             mulumbu          Brunt

Gera                 

Berahino           Vydra

Whenever we are playing badly, just remember -
Paul Chrichton,Neil Parsley, Andy Mcdermott, Scott Darton, Winston White,Mark Angel, Fabian DeFreitas, Paul Williams......now, do you feel better?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2014, 10:55:12 PM »
Really pleased to see Everton doing well - a real club with real supporters. This was a good read, they seem pretty grounded and the assessments of both us and them are fair. I would really be interested to read in more depth what they thought of Anichebe, For sure we overpayed, but did they really think he was that bad?

I covered Anichebe earlier on in the season mate.

I posted an article in the Victor Anichebe thread with around four pages worth of replies.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2014, 08:43:11 AM »
A great read as always, Liam.  :)

GrumpyBaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »
When Pepe joined us much was made of the fact that he would have an extra couple of days preparing the team for the Everton game, as it was on Monday.

Is that really true though?  Will the first team squad be training today/tomorrow and/or be available to receive briefings on tactics?  Any training on Monday will surely be very lightweight so as not to tire our heroes out before the game.

Can anyone enlighten me about this?

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2014, 09:59:46 AM »
When Pepe joined us much was made of the fact that he would have an extra couple of days preparing the team for the Everton game, as it was on Monday.

Is that really true though?  Will the first team squad be training today/tomorrow and/or be available to receive briefings on tactics?  Any training on Monday will surely be very lightweight so as not to tire our heroes out before the game.

Can anyone enlighten me about this?

They get paid enough that if Mel wants them in on a weekend they will be. They train Christmas Day, nothing to say they won't train one or two days before.

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2014, 10:02:50 AM »
I'm very much looking forward to Monday night, getting into the ground and grabbing a Carlsberg or two, and hopefully it'll be a sell out, with the added interest of PM's first match in charge, Lukaku's return and the genuine need to start picking up a few victories and, hopefully, start putting a bit of a more comfortable distance between ourselves and the bottom three clubs.

Clearly Everton will provide tough opposition, but you just never know with the Albion, the matches when we play perceived weaker opposition and the ones against stronger opposition seldom meet the predicted outcomes, as evidenced again this season with our superb results and performances against Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal.

While I suppose if we're honest, most would say a point against Everton wouldn't be a bad result, if we get to the end of January with only 4 victories then we're clearly going to be embroiled in a battle to avoid getting dragged into the mire, so while I'd avoid the dreaded "must win" statement, there's no question that a win would be a massive boost.

It's a shame in a way that we're lumbered with the dreaded Monday night fixture, which I know is not ideal for those who live a fair distance away and our younger fans who have school the next day, and although I work a hop, skip and a jump away from The Hawthorns so will take the opportunity for a couple of hours overtime at work, I would have much preferred a "normal" 3pm or any of the other TV scheduled times to have made more of a day of it.

Personally I use the trains, but for those who have to drive, I presume if the traffic's bad, like it was against Man City, there's no way this one will be a delayed KO, with the TV schedule, so hopefully the roads will be a bit less congested.

But hopefully we'll put on a good show on Monday, though if we get the win in a dire scrappy 1-0 then I wouldn't be overly concerned, needs must and if results go against us over the weekend, the 3 points are the be all and end all.

COYB  8)

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2014, 02:52:39 PM »
my biggest worry about this game is that PM will probably rely on the coaching staff  advice to pick the team and if the palace and southampton match is anything to go by, then we can expect the same old same old, if we are fortunate we will get berahino and vidya up front playing in their best position with gera , mulumbu yacob and almafitino in middle of park if they are all fit, and go for it , whatever happens Everton will start favorites and rightly so, but i would rather start the youngsters, and maybe get a good start than have to bring them on to try and rescue the result.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2014, 03:42:50 PM »
my biggest worry about this game is that PM will probably rely on the coaching staff  advice to pick the team and if the palace and southampton match is anything to go by, then we can expect the same old same old, if we are fortunate we will get berahino and vidya up front playing in their best position with gera , mulumbu yacob and almafitino in middle of park if they are all fit, and go for it , whatever happens Everton will start favorites and rightly so, but i would rather start the youngsters, and maybe get a good start than have to bring them on to try and rescue the result.

He has had a week now to sift through the deadwood
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2014, 04:52:45 PM »

Foster

Gman.              Lugano.           Olsson

Jones.           Yacob.                  Mulumbu.        Brunt

Gera

Vydra.                  Berahino

astle68killedme

« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2014, 10:51:41 PM »

Hello mate Everton supporter here.

Big Vic has all the attributes to be great he's powerful, fast and when he stays on his feet a real good touch but christ does he blow hot and cold.

In my opinion he didn't get a fair crack of the whip under Moyes (not that he was alone only defenders prosper under dour davey) he got played out of position was in and out the side and looks a man who needs words of inspiration rather than mumblings of doom. But on saying that it was Martinez who has shown remarkable judgement in his Everton reign who sold him.

There really is a player in there mate but he's not 19 any more if he isn't showing it at your place at the age he is now I don't think he ever will.

Fingers crossed for Big Vic and the Baggies.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2014, 11:13:22 PM »
Hello mate Everton supporter here.

Big Vic has all the attributes to be great he's powerful, fast and when he stays on his feet a real good touch but christ does he blow hot and cold.

In my opinion he didn't get a fair crack of the whip under Moyes (not that he was alone only defenders prosper under dour davey) he got played out of position was in and out the side and looks a man who needs words of inspiration rather than mumblings of doom. But on saying that it was Martinez who has shown remarkable judgement in his Everton reign who sold him.

There really is a player in there mate but he's not 19 any more if he isn't showing it at your place at the age he is now I don't think he ever will.

Fingers crossed for Big Vic and the Baggies.

Maybe this comment should go in the Anichebe thread, but to me Vic's biggest problem now is that he can't stay away from injuries. Neither Vic himself nor the team has had a chance to settle. I rate Vic as better than Long, if nothing else because Vic can hold off a defender and receive a pass. Their scoring records are pretty similar, none of them can be accused of being natural finishers or possessing sublime skill. When we signed Vic I thought of him as a better version of Fortune, a sturdy specimen that on his day can be a handful for certain defences. I never envisioned Vic as the final answer to our (WBA's) problems up front, but as a specialty tool to be used accordingly.

Having both Vic and Long at the club at the same time makes no sense so in that perspective it is no surprise we sold Long finally. Vic now has to impress our new coach who wants to play a possession game. Hopefully Vic can make an impact, but truth be told I would be surprised if Vic is still here in one or two years time.

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2014, 12:01:18 AM »
baines on toast: You have won 4 games of football all season. Need I say more? When you've won less games than Fulham, Palace and Norwich then you really can't expect to be any better off than you currently are.

I didn't realise that and that stat is very worrying.

really like Everton fans, good knowledge about most clubs and not just their own
Baggie Terra

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2014, 12:39:11 AM »
You seem to have found a good bunch, my experience of Everton fans while living in Liverpool is they are a very bitter bunch obsessed with Liverpool FC and looking down on smaller teams (like ourselves) so well done Liam a good read.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »
Does anybody else think the likes of Sessegnon and Sinclair will begin to flourish under Mel, starting with this game? The long balls would've meant the game passing them by, perhaps Lugano may be a starter too. The striker situation will be interesting, hopefully if the FA decide to ban Anelka they will have the decency to wait till after this game so it doesn't affect preparations.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
                         Foster

Jones       McAuley       Olsson       Ridgewell

Yacob

Morrison               Mulumbu

Berahino                                       Vydra

Anelka

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2014, 12:51:08 PM »
I don't really want to post the team I'd like on this as now Long has left I'm happy for Mel to give everyone a clean slate. So whatever happens Monday I won't be complaining team selection wise. If I were to second guess him I'd say:

Foster

Jones
Lugano
Olsson
Ridgewell

Yacob
Mulumbu

Morrison
Anelka
Brunt

Rosenberg

Subs. Berahino, Vydra, Myhill, McAuley, Amalfitano, Sessegnon and Anichebe.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.