Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 284681 times)

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #475 on: August 29, 2018, 01:29:45 PM »
He needs a run of games in the side to get a proper head of steam. He's not a striker, so I don't think it's fair to judge him too harshly when playing there. For example, he has to play with his back to goal more when playing there, but his main strength is when running at people.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #476 on: August 29, 2018, 01:44:56 PM »
I think we are expecting too much from the lad, and that's because of the transfer fee. I've long maintained that if you're spending £15 million of Albion's money, it needs to be on a first team ready player who can make a difference - we haven't got the luxury of spending that with potentially no return.

However it's becoming a millstone around his neck. He's just gone 21, and has played less that 100 senior games. If we had a kid coming through our academy with the same skill-set, we'd be more forgiving, and understand why he wasn't playing quite so much, and why he wasn't the finished article.

He needs more game time, but he also needs a fan base that are going to understand he's still closer to Leko than to Phillips in terms of development.

Agree with this entirely. As mentioned elsewhere, playing with his back to goal isn't a natural strength of his either so we do need to be patient.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #477 on: August 29, 2018, 02:07:41 PM »
100 games at less than 21,
Our home grown kids will not get that much opportunity, indicative of poor management or poor youth players ???
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #478 on: August 29, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »
Well said. I think a lot of our fans forget that he has just turned 21. It's a long season and he will get some game time due to injuries and suspensions. Let's assess him after he has had a run of games. Far too soon to be writing him off. I think that he will prove to be a very good signing within a couple of years.
Agree he has potential and needs game time, but also needs to do it in training, build Darren's faith in him.
Shows just how good Barnes is at 20 though.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #479 on: August 29, 2018, 05:27:14 PM »
He's had a lack of game time and is young and eager to impress. I think he will grow mentally with more games. You learn nothing sat on a bench.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #480 on: August 29, 2018, 06:56:29 PM »
Keep off his back for now and forget about the £15m (more like £10m so far I suspect). Top notch pace, will get the odd thing wrong but could play an important role this year......and he's a totally different type to Barnes.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #481 on: August 30, 2018, 12:53:16 PM »
He's had a lack of game time and is young and eager to impress. I think he will grow mentally with more games. You learn nothing sat on a bench.
It's interesting that our younger players aren't turning out for the U23s (although I think Edwards did play the a few weeks ago). They lost 5-1 to Liverpool in their last game, whilst the U18s were beaten 4-0 at home by Norwich a day or two later, with the starting XI in the  2 sides looking to be similar for both games.

Apart from it not looking too great quality-wise for the remainder of the players in the Academy, the younger players in the first team squad can't build up form or maintain match fitness if they don't play for more than 10 minutes now and again.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #482 on: August 30, 2018, 04:38:29 PM »
It's interesting that our younger players aren't turning out for the U23s (although I think Edwards did play the a few weeks ago). They lost 5-1 to Liverpool in their last game, whilst the U18s were beaten 4-0 at home by Norwich a day or two later, with the starting XI in the  2 sides looking to be similar for both games.

Apart from it not looking too great quality-wise for the remainder of the players in the Academy, the younger players in the first team squad can't build up form or maintain match fitness if they don't play for more than 10 minutes now and again.
It is interesting. Possible reasons I can think off - maybe they are being prepared to go out on loan (doubt this as I don't think we will loan them with us still in 2 cups and time running out) - More likely reason is they are trying to give them the mentality and intensity of being fully fledged 1st team squad members. Instead of being picked for the bench in the odd game and then sent back to play with the 'kids', the only football they play will be in and around the 1st team. The obvious problem with this, like you say is enough game time.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #483 on: August 30, 2018, 04:59:27 PM »
Not withstanding the fact that it looks like Darren Moore sees him as a forward when the kid is still trying to live up to being a winger,the kid must be confused

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #484 on: August 30, 2018, 08:14:02 PM »
For the first 20 minutes in the cup game I thought to myself why doesn't this lad get more minutes coming off the bench for us? The rest of the game answered that question, his feet are simply much quicker than his brain.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #485 on: August 30, 2018, 08:50:07 PM »
For the first 20 minutes in the cup game I thought to myself why doesn't this lad get more minutes coming off the bench for us? The rest of the game answered that question, his feet are simply much quicker than his brain.
McClean without the attitude?

Disgorger

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #486 on: August 31, 2018, 07:19:30 AM »
McClean without the attitude?

I just don’t like the way he gives in too easily, throws his arms in the air and is totally oblivious what is happening after he has lost the ball after running into a blind alley!

We need winners and that is a defeatist attitude!

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #487 on: August 31, 2018, 07:50:45 AM »
I just don’t like the way he gives in too easily, throws his arms in the air and is totally oblivious what is happening after he has lost the ball after running into a blind alley!

Are you sure you're not confusing him with Brunt?
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #488 on: August 31, 2018, 08:57:17 AM »

Be careful not to confuse "defeatist attitude" with disappointment. All footballers want to win and to me this is just an outward expression of disappointment that things haven't gone to plan. I'd much rather see a player act like this than just stroll off or not chase back. He does work hard and I think he has the pace that we lack in every league game. Yet Kanu gets in before him...

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #489 on: September 05, 2018, 04:50:39 PM »
Withdrawn from Scotland u21 duty due to a "sore knee"

Wasn't Morrison originally diagnosed with a sore heel ?

Hopefully not serious..Burke is still very raw and at a young age. He will get chances when needed.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #490 on: October 01, 2018, 10:55:30 PM »
Brilliant apparently for the under 23's tonight against Stoke. Ran 40 yards and curled a beauty into the top corner for our first goal, and excellent assist for the second. Ran Stoke ragged until he went off injured. The guy clearly has talent, but not even in the first team squad at the moment. Maybe DM can't fit him into a 3-5-2 formation, maybe there is a problem with attitude, or maybe something else. Whatever it is, I hope the coaches can sort it out, because if they can, I still believe he may have a big part to play over the course of this season.

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #491 on: October 01, 2018, 10:59:46 PM »
Brilliant apparently for the under 23's tonight against Stoke. Ran 40 yards and curled a beauty into the top corner for our first goal, and excellent assist for the second. Ran Stoke ragged until he went off injured. The guy clearly has talent, but not even in the first team squad at the moment. Maybe DM can't fit him into a 3-5-2 formation, maybe there is a problem with attitude, or maybe something else. Whatever it is, I hope the coaches can sort it out, because if they can, I still believe he may have a big part to play over the course of this season.

Its all very well doing it in the U23's, but the first team is a big step up.

He has talent I am sure, but something seems to be holding him back in Big Dave's eyes.

When we inevitably lose Barnes in January he could become a very important player for us with the right guidance.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #492 on: October 01, 2018, 11:58:29 PM »
I couldn't go tonight, but I hope he can transfer this form into the first team.

Personally, I think he has been given too much too soon and he hasn't got the hunger to get to the next level.

He scored 4 in 5 at this level which got him his move from forest to rb leipzig, and that was 2 years ago.

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #493 on: October 02, 2018, 12:25:13 AM »
Its all very well doing it in the U23's, but the first team is a big step up.

He has talent I am sure, but something seems to be holding him back in Big Dave's eyes.

When we inevitably lose Barnes in January he could become a very important player for us with the right guidance.

Just a thought wonder if Big Dave is looking at January, maybe losing Barnes, like having a new signing a fresh, keen, motivated Burke. I doubt that’s the case but nice to think we can develop our own Barnes.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #494 on: October 02, 2018, 11:31:42 AM »
i predicted him to be our star player this season in may. give him some game time Albion
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #495 on: October 02, 2018, 01:31:24 PM »
Just a thought wonder if Big Dave is looking at January, maybe losing Barnes, like having a new signing a fresh, keen, motivated Burke. I doubt that’s the case but nice to think we can develop our own Barnes.
He's not likely to be keen or motivated if he doesn't get on the pitch for the first team.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #496 on: October 02, 2018, 02:25:26 PM »
I think the club have to make a decision on him soon.
If the coaching staff really think he is not good enough at this moment, we should loan him out in January.
Championship or even League 1 clubs,  as long as he can have bigger chance to play regularly, rather than stay here and just play in U-23 games.
The PRIDE of midlands

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #497 on: October 02, 2018, 02:32:12 PM »
to be fair to the lad, all he can do is rip it up in U23's and train well, if DM doesn't give him a chance then, no-one could blame him for asking to go out on loan or for a transfer.

He has a career which is currently stalled and he has to look after number 1 under those circumstances.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #498 on: October 02, 2018, 04:51:42 PM »
Sako in surely means Burke out?  Winger who can play up top.

I would have loved Burke to come good but think he needs to go elsewhere and make a name for himself (if he can).

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #499 on: October 02, 2018, 05:35:22 PM »
Sako in surely means Burke out?  Winger who can play up top.

I would have loved Burke to come good but think he needs to go elsewhere and make a name for himself (if he can).
Play on opposite side of the park as to their natural positions so don't see it as simple as that