Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 284707 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #425 on: June 04, 2018, 12:58:44 AM »
Qu, when was last time a wba player took ball from our half to score a solo goal? I honestly cannot think of one in recent times.
This is one of the highlights of being a football fan and we have been denied this for a very long time
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #426 on: June 04, 2018, 05:24:35 AM »
Qu, when was last time a wba player took ball from our half to score a solo goal? I honestly cannot think of one in recent times.
This is one of the highlights of being a football fan and we have been denied this for a very long time

Ishmael miller on his debut against Preston was it?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #427 on: June 04, 2018, 06:24:26 AM »
Ishmael miller on his debut against Preston was it?

Seem to remember Lukaku doing similar against Sunderland at home.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #428 on: June 04, 2018, 08:24:55 AM »
Neither were particularly from their own half, both picked the ball up around half way and had one man to knock the ball past and storm at the goal, with Lukaku's only being the awful John O'Shea.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #429 on: June 04, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »
Amalfitano Vs Man Utd surely?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #430 on: June 04, 2018, 11:29:21 AM »
Seem to remember Lukaku doing similar against Sunderland at home.

Doesn't really count as it went in off his backside.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #431 on: June 04, 2018, 12:00:34 PM »

To be fair, not often most of the team get to play the South Korea under 21's.

The video shows what Burke's problem will be at a higher level is though unless he gets better. His touch is loose to say the least.

Lets hope he can get away with it in the championship and use a solid season of game time to get better.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:02:11 PM by johnny Cash »

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #432 on: June 04, 2018, 06:47:32 PM »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #433 on: June 04, 2018, 06:50:36 PM »
Re his touch....it's not easy to have perfect control while going at full tilt. Time will tell if he needs to take his foot off the gas a bit on occasions but he does have real pace and surely must use that asset.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #434 on: June 06, 2018, 06:54:57 PM »
Olie captains Scotland again against England.

After 18 mins score 0-0
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #435 on: June 06, 2018, 07:01:00 PM »
Olie captains Scotland again against England.

After 18 mins score 0-0

He's hit the post 1 v 1 too

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #436 on: July 14, 2018, 07:55:37 PM »
Read this a couple of weeks ago and forgot too put it on here. Was saved in my favorites and just came across it again.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oliver-burke-mystery-15m-stars-12637699

Make of that what you will.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #437 on: July 14, 2018, 08:22:41 PM »
I think this kid needs to be given some slack. He has hardly been given many opportunities since he arrived here.
The transfer fee may be a burden, but that is not his fault.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #438 on: July 15, 2018, 09:04:50 AM »
I'd be interested to know why he got relatively little pitch time yesterday in a 120 minute game.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #439 on: July 15, 2018, 10:45:05 AM »
I'd be interested to know why he got relatively little pitch time yesterday in a 120 minute game in the past 3 seasons.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #440 on: July 15, 2018, 10:48:25 AM »
I'd be interested to know why he got relatively little pitch time yesterday in a 120 minute game.
im guessing because he arrives later back for ore season due to his exploits with Scotland in the toulon tournament.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #441 on: July 28, 2018, 01:18:28 AM »
While he is only 21, and he is an exciting prospect still, it is alarming to realise that Burke has started only 19 games in his entire career (he only started 10 games at Forest before he left in a big money move to Germany).

To put it into perspective, Harvey Barnes has started 36 already, and Sam Field is on 11 starts with both being one year younger.

You forget just how inexperienced he is. Having 2 years where he didn't get enough game time won't have been good for his development.

Highlights that our squad is one with a lot of playerswith limited experience, and a number of other in their 30's, with little in between.

Boing Boing

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #442 on: July 28, 2018, 08:25:56 AM »
You forget just how inexperienced he is. Having 2 years where he didn't get enough game time won't have been good for his development.
No it won't so, having spent £15m on him, we need to get him playing regularly to see if a run of games brings out the best of him. If he doesn't start today, then it'll be clear that Darren only sees him as a sub at this juncture. I'd like to see us try 4-2-3-1 with both Burke and Barnes playing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:50:19 AM by WorcsWBA »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #443 on: July 28, 2018, 08:39:52 AM »
While he is only 21, and he is an exciting prospect still, it is alarming to realise that Burke has started only 19 games in his entire career (he only started 10 games at Forest before he left in a big money move to Germany).

To put it into perspective, Harvey Barnes has started 36 already, and Sam Field is on 11 starts with both being one year younger.

Highlights that our squad is one with a lot of playerswith limited experience, and a number of other in their 30's, with little in between.
There's something just doesn't sit right with him for me , can't quite put my finger on it . Needs to put down roots and play every week but also needs to earn that starting place.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #444 on: July 28, 2018, 08:52:34 AM »
I find it difficult to see how Burke will get much game time while Phillips is here. For a large part of last season Phillips was fairly poor but none of the Head Coaches felt confident enough in Burke to give him a run in the side.

At 21 it might be too early to talk about a make or break season and apart from the fact he is on his 2nd big money move of his short career maybe we wouldn't be but if he doesn't feature regularly in the Championship this season it is hard to see where his career is heading. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #445 on: July 28, 2018, 09:03:06 AM »
There's something just doesn't sit right with him for me , can't quite put my finger on it . Needs to put down roots and play every week but also needs to earn that starting place.

He gives me the impression that he's a maverick. I'm not sure that he fits in with a "we not me" philosophy.
I'm also not sure how he got here, just doesn't seem to be a Pulis type player.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #446 on: July 28, 2018, 09:52:18 AM »
I find it difficult to see how Burke will get much game time while Phillips is here. For a large part of last season Phillips was fairly poor but none of the Head Coaches felt confident enough in Burke to give him a run in the side.

At 21 it might be too early to talk about a make or break season and apart from the fact he is on his 2nd big money move of his short career maybe we wouldn't be but if he doesn't feature regularly in the Championship this season it is hard to see where his career is heading.

I think this season in the Championship is perfect for him.  It’s where his game development is right now.  He was brilliant at Forest, and he clearly hasn’t lost his frightening pace. He needs a run of games to develop his confidence, and he’ll be fine.  He and Barnes will frighten the life out of defenders this season.  They’ll create havoc, and chances.  We just need prolific finishers to do the rest....

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #447 on: July 28, 2018, 09:53:02 AM »
He has a lot of pace and power and he can beat a man but it all seems very, very raw, and so far i've seen little final product from him. It's a bit like watching Leko play but less lightweight.

Hope Moore and the other coaches can harness his obvious talent, else he will go down as our biggest dudd ever.
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #448 on: July 28, 2018, 09:57:34 AM »
He's one of many players who have to be ready to seize their chance when it comes....even if that's 20 minutes off the bench playing wide or through the middle. If Phillips stays, he's unlikely to stay fit through 46 games, plus games in other competitions.
Phillips has the extra factor of being top class from corners which may make him harder to leave out. Don't know what Burke is like at that part of the game ...saying that judging by clips, Burke looks pretty strong in the air for that type of player.

You'd think that plenty of championship defenders would have nightmares about someone as quick and strong as Burke appearing for the last 30 minutes of a game...he needs to be hungry for the ball and let off the leash.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #449 on: July 28, 2018, 11:30:11 AM »
He gives me the impression that he's a maverick. I'm not sure that he fits in with a "we not me" philosophy.
I'm also not sure how he got here, just doesn't seem to be a Pulis type player.

There is a collective blame on our signings over the past few years, not one person is to blame for them all, there are some which are obvious Pulis ones and then there's others like Burke, Robson-Kanu who were obviously influenced from elsewhere