Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 284809 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #350 on: February 05, 2018, 11:21:52 AM »
Quite possibly our best footballer next season in the Championship, he will excel
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #351 on: February 05, 2018, 11:24:15 AM »
He's certainly got something, but sadly as yet it isn't a good first touch...or second. I like him though, he is extremely raw but I see a lot of potential in him if he can be given the correct coaching. Unfortunately potential isn't what we currently need but I would give him a run in the side for the unknown quantity factor. I would pick anyone ahead of Phillips currently who offers us absolutely nothing.
These fabled run of games coming up against teams near us might just be right for Burke , the unknown if you like.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #352 on: February 05, 2018, 11:25:30 AM »
These fabled run of games coming up against teams near us might just be right for Burke , the unknown if you like.

I certainly see no harm in trying it, unless we have Chadli back by then.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #353 on: February 05, 2018, 12:35:08 PM »
He's certainly got something, but sadly as yet it isn't a good first touch...or second. I like him though, he is extremely raw but I see a lot of potential in him if he can be given the correct coaching. Unfortunately potential isn't what we currently need but I would give him a run in the side for the unknown quantity factor. I would pick anyone ahead of Phillips currently who offers us absolutely nothing.

Trouble is, something like first touch or ball control isn't something that can necessarily be coached at this level, you've either got it instinctively or you haven't. My mate said to me at Brighton within a few minutes of him coming on that he was effing useless and had no ball control and rubbish first touch. I said give him a bloody chance (or words to that effect) but in the glimpses we have seen from him since, he has shown nothing to discredit my friends initial opinion!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #354 on: February 05, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »
Trouble is, something like first touch or ball control isn't something that can necessarily be coached at this level, you've either got it instinctively or you haven't. My mate said to me at Brighton within a few minutes of him coming on that he was effing useless and had no ball control and rubbish first touch. I said give him a bloody chance (or words to that effect) but in the glimpses we have seen from him since, he has shown nothing to discredit my friends initial opinion!

That's my view of him also.

I absolutely love the lad's enthusiasm & he's a trier, but the more I see of him the harder I find it, to justify the £15million transfer fee.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #355 on: February 05, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »

When Lukaku was on loan here, his first touch was rubbish; yet now he has gotten a lot better, hence why he's playing for Manchester United. Nobody is too old to learn, and our coaches should be working on deficiencies in peoples games, whether they're 18 or 38.

Sorry, but saying a certain skill or technique can't be coached is a load of rubbish, especially at this level.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #356 on: February 05, 2018, 01:01:13 PM »
When Lukaku was on loan here, his first touch was rubbish; yet now he has gotten a lot better, hence why he's playing for Manchester United. Nobody is too old to learn, and our coaches should be working on deficiencies in peoples games, whether they're 18 or 38.

Sorry, but saying a certain skill or technique can't be coached is a load of rubbish, especially at this level.

I'm sorry but if a player is playing in the Premier League, supposedly the best league in the world, with a price tag of £15 million, it is totally reasonable to expect him to be able to control a football and have a half decent first touch, especially a bloody winger! You mention Lukaku but you cant compare. He was a young raw striker at the Albion as you say but he had other attributes to make up for a not so good first touch, as a big, physically strong striker, you can get away with a slightly poor first touch as the second touch is likely to end up in the back of the net. Defenders would bounce off him if he retrieved a ball from loose control. On the other hand a poor first touch and rubbish control from Burke either leads to him being put flat on his backside or us losing possession cheaply. It's not good enough.

baggieboy74

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #357 on: February 05, 2018, 10:54:50 PM »
He can't run with ball.  Not good enough at the moment.

He might improve........I hope

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #358 on: February 05, 2018, 11:25:42 PM »
He has got a wicked burst of speed, but I'm waiting to see him do something with the ball.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #359 on: February 05, 2018, 11:34:56 PM »
He's 20 years old

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #360 on: February 06, 2018, 01:27:15 PM »
When I lived in Oxford many years ago John Aldridge was there(prior to transfer to Liverpool) and his first touch was poor, his second touch was a tackle to get the ball back.
Jim Smith, manager at the time spent hours with him in the afternoons improving his touch and control. I used to watch him firing balls at the wall so they rebounded to Aldridge all over the place and he had to get them down and under control, then get a pass or shot away.
That was decades ago and his skill level improved no end. Things don't change and we shouldn't accept the fact that Burke has a poor first touch. - Work on it. Anyone at work who has deficiencies gets training on it. Football should be no different. Of course there is always the question about why he was signed if his touch was not good. The answer to that is probably " We thought we could work on it" -- [Well do it then. >:(

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #361 on: February 06, 2018, 06:46:19 PM »
Personally I think there's too much talk of Burkes touch. He still hasn't had much game time to feel settled. Also he's an explosive type player looking for speed off the mark and running with the ball at pace. It's harder to have perfect control if your always looking to do things quickly and get an advantage. Gareth Bale's touch looks dodgy sometimes.

Burke isn't the type who's going to get it right every time he gets the ball but he could become the type who can do 3 or 4 things in a game which make a difference (whether that's with us or not). We shouldn't want him to slow down and become safety first.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #362 on: February 07, 2018, 10:25:20 AM »
Needs to learn how to track back and defend.

AN impact player for last 20 minutes at best.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #363 on: February 07, 2018, 08:06:24 PM »
Needs to learn how to track back and defend. AN impact player for last 20 minutes at best.

He hasn't been played for more than 20 minutes at a time. Impossible to say how he would do over 90 minutes as he hasn't had a chance with a run in team just the odd cameo appearance, usually when were losing and his teammates are all over the shop, like against the Saints. I though he played well during his short time on the pitch at West Ham. He needs more time on the pitch, consistently before we can really judge what he can offer.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #364 on: February 07, 2018, 08:21:57 PM »
Pardew has to give lad a chance, he couldnt do any worse.

Tatnam baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #365 on: February 11, 2018, 07:14:56 PM »
He has got a wicked burst of speed, but I'm waiting to see him do something with the ball.

Quite agree. Just needs a goal or assist to get his confidence going

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #366 on: February 11, 2018, 08:30:51 PM »

His second touch was a goal.
Oh for this lad to be at the same stage in his development as Lukaku was when he was here
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #367 on: February 11, 2018, 09:15:27 PM »
Needs to learn how to track back and defend.

AN impact player for last 20 minutes at best.

Stuff tracking back-that’s not what we need at the moment

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #368 on: February 11, 2018, 11:22:01 PM »
The jury is still out for me, but having said that I am surprised he hasn't been used as much by both Pardew and Pulis. For all his possible flaws, he seems the ideal player to bring on when chasing a game, which have done quite a bit of this season.

On the one hand it's clear that he has excellent pace. That alone isn't enough - he could end up like Troare at Villa/Boro where he looks excellent for small glimpses, but overall isn't good enough. Hopefully he has a bit more about him than that however.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #369 on: February 13, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »
in the few times I've seen him i don't see £15m a good investment. maybe he'll improve but I've got major doubts he will be a success for us, I expected a bit more than the odd 20 yard sprint because that's about what he's delivered so far.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #370 on: February 13, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »
As a club, when we spend £15m it has to be on someone that's going straight into the first team.
On what I've seen up to yet he's far short of that.
I really want this lad to succeed but I haven't seen anything to suggest that he will be a top notch player.
Maybe with more game time and in the Championship we may see a star rising. But not yet for me.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

webral

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #371 on: February 13, 2018, 12:20:28 PM »
disgrace the way he jogs around with no desire to chase anything or make a tackle given our predicament

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #372 on: February 13, 2018, 12:48:54 PM »
disgrace the way he jogs around with no desire to chase anything or make a tackle given our predicament

I am afraid you could say that about most of them last night

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #373 on: May 09, 2018, 11:59:55 AM »
Do we keep Burke for next season?

Would he do much better in the next tier down?

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #374 on: May 09, 2018, 12:01:10 PM »
Yes to both.