Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 283095 times)

wbawill

• Junior Baggie

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2017, 11:56:24 PM »
Post match comments from Pulis today that Burke is "not ready"... "will require a lot of work" and "allow Leko to go out on loan" - that being Leko who never got a look in. I don't think were going to be seeing from Burke save for 5-10 minute cameos from the bench, probably when were losing.

He'll have to get more game time than Leko or else the chairman will really be questioning that £15m expenditure. I wonder what he needs to do to be ready; is it footballing ability or tactical nous that needs work?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #201 on: August 28, 2017, 01:25:51 AM »
Pulis is talking about a player we have just spent £15m unless something pretty remarkable happens in the next few days we don't have the luxury of buying a player for that sort of fee for the occasional cameo, besides that isn't what the player needs to develop. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #202 on: August 28, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »
Sounds like he's in the Scotland U21 squad so will get some game time during the break.
I assume he will have done pre season at RB Leipzig. Maybe Pulis sees those fitness levels as not up to ours and I guess he'll have been through testing and monitoring since signing.
I wouldn't have thought a 20 year old would need too long to get up to the mark.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #203 on: August 28, 2017, 08:56:07 AM »
Pulis is talking about a player we have just spent £15m unless something pretty remarkable happens in the next few days we don't have the luxury of buying a player for that sort of fee for the occasional cameo, besides that isn't what the player needs to develop.
From what I've seen, and reading others' opinions, his lack of readiness is mostly to do with tactical awareness and decision making. He needs coaching mixed with some experience, and we shouldn't expect to see him as a regular starter just yet. We have spent £15 million on him because he has remarkable talent and because we are planning for the future as well as the present, and we think his potential justifies the fee.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #204 on: August 28, 2017, 10:07:28 AM »
From what I've seen, and reading others' opinions, his lack of readiness is mostly to do with tactical awareness and decision making. He needs coaching mixed with some experience, and we shouldn't expect to see him as a regular starter just yet. We have spent £15 million on him because he has remarkable talent and because we are planning for the future as well as the present, and we think his potential justifies the fee.

I should think at 15 million for a club like ours he would be a regular starter.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #205 on: August 28, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »
Didn't expect nothing more yesterday tbh, thought he may have got on 10mins earlier, but he's only been there 5mins, would imagine meticulous TP had his plans for the Stoke game in action for the whole week!
As an aside he I wouldn't imagine he'd be TP fit yet  ;D
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #206 on: August 28, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
I should think at 15 million for a club like ours he would be a regular starter.
No, not at all. Just because he cost £15 million doesn't mean he is going to walk into the first team. He is young and talented but still raw. He will get in the first team when the coaching staff feel he is ready, which may or may not be soon. If it isn't, it doesn't mean he is rubbish and it doesn't mean it's a waste of money. Be patient, we have a very good player who may need some time to mature, let's wait and see.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2017, 10:41:36 AM »
It also adds depth which was needed in case of injury lay-offs such as Phillips last year. That's not to say Burke is bought as cover, he's obviously talented and rated and I should think we'll be keen to get him in the mix as soon as we can.

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »
I know he's not a striker but could he be our version of Jamie Vardy or Mahrez? Not much was known of them before they stepped up a gear to win the league for the Foxes.

I'm not saying Burke is going to win us the league but from what I've heard and seen (admittedly on You Tube) he looks pretty special and capable of injecting some excitement in our attack.

Oli might just be the man to flick the switch.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2017, 04:42:35 PM »
Judging by what i have seen on Youtube he is very exciting but lacks nous. He doesn't look up enough and tends to rush his chances.
But the kid is only 20, and we threw Cyrille in at the deep end.
He is never going to be ready sitting on the bench.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2017, 08:22:52 PM »
Judging by what i have seen on Youtube he is very exciting but lacks nous. He doesn't look up enough and tends to rush his chances.
But the kid is only 20, and we threw Cyrille in at the deep end.
He is never going to be ready sitting on the bench.

Glad I'm not the only one. Yes he can run but the highlight video I saw was just full of him taking the wrong option or running down blind alleys.

But he seemed unpredictable. Could be another Somen Tchoyi

He/him

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2017, 09:06:04 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one. Yes he can run but the highlight video I saw was just full of him taking the wrong option or running down blind alleys.

He's young, he's learning, he will develop, just give him time
(Tchoyi, btw, what a legend, only Albion player ever to score a hat trick one with his left, one with his right, and one with his head !!)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2017, 09:11:32 PM »

Burke has been mentioned as being a bit like Gareth Bale...now Bale sometimes runs down blind alleys and takes it a bit too far but he also makes something out of nothing, frightens defences and became one of the best players in the world. We don't want Burke to slow down and become safer do we ?

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2017, 09:25:21 PM »
What Pulis means is he's not ready because I ain't changed him into an arrrrd worker who needs to chase back and be like a robot and follow exactly what I tell him to do like the rest of the squad do, at the moment he will still think for himself and try to get forward and pass forward and god forbid try something different

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2017, 09:33:13 PM »
There's some glass half full people. There's some glass half empty people. Then there's some people who think the glass is completely empty, and if it's not empty it's full of arsenic and if you touch the glass your hand will burn off and everyone dies and the club is lying about the glass because it's actually a free pint to drive season ticket sales.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2017, 09:43:46 PM »
There's some glass half full people. There's some glass half empty people. Then there's some people who think the glass is completely empty, and if it's not empty it's full of arsenic and if you touch the glass your hand will burn off and everyone dies and the club is lying about the glass because it's actually a free pint to drive season ticket sales.
Post of the decade 👍🏻
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2017, 10:31:52 PM »
(Tchoyi, btw, what a legend, only Albion player ever to score a hat trick one with his left, one with his right, and one with his head !!)

I'm sure Odemwingie scored a perfect hat-trick for us? Maybe got that wrong.

He is young, I'm not expecting the finished article. Just seen a few posts that can only set him up for failure. Just want people to keep their feet on the ground and not expect too much.

Burke has been mentioned as being a bit like Gareth Bale...now Bale sometimes runs down blind alleys and takes it a bit too far but he also makes something out of nothing, frightens defences and became one of the best players in the world. We don't want Burke to slow down and become safer do we ?

No but you can't tell me that his decision making shown in the clips shown at the linked time could be improved?

https://youtu.be/y8KhN2fBYdQ?t=85

The first clip is a shows a great turn of pace and a real directness, but he then runs the ball out of play.

The second is a 3 on 2. We don't see if it leads to a goal but I assume it doesn't.

The third I can't complain about - he's used the other Forest player as a decoy and run straight through the heart of the defence.

I'm not going to go through all the clips, but do you see what I mean? It's great he is direct and will take players on, and of course we don't want to make him boring or safe, but we need to appreciate and recognise his deficiencies.

He/him

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »

Lukaku v Man Utd

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2017, 11:22:02 PM »
Lukaku v Man Utd
Oops, still a legend though :D

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2017, 11:23:33 PM »

Lukaku v Man Utd

Yes Lukaku did.... Tchoyi didn't.
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2017, 08:33:17 AM »
I'm sure Odemwingie scored a perfect hat-trick for us? Maybe got that wrong.

He is young, I'm not expecting the finished article. Just seen a few posts that can only set him up for failure. Just want people to keep their feet on the ground and not expect too much.

No but you can't tell me that his decision making shown in the clips shown at the linked time could be improved?

https://youtu.be/y8KhN2fBYdQ?t=85

The first clip is a shows a great turn of pace and a real directness, but he then runs the ball out of play.

The second is a 3 on 2. We don't see if it leads to a goal but I assume it doesn't.

The third I can't complain about - he's used the other Forest player as a decoy and run straight through the heart of the defence.

I'm not going to go through all the clips, but do you see what I mean? It's great he is direct and will take players on, and of course we don't want to make him boring or safe, but we need to appreciate and recognise his deficiencies.

Odemwingie's hatrick was all with his feet, 2 left foot and a right foot goal to finish it off.

Agree with what you say about Burke though. It looks to me that he is very much one for the future, he is further on in his development than Leko, so his signing should allow Leko to go out on loan and leave us with a better back up option.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2017, 08:45:02 AM »
Yep Lukaku is the only perfect hat-trick for us. Although there have only been 30 odd in the whole Premier League era anyway.

On Burke, seemed a bit excited on Saturday and fell over the ball straight after he came on.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #222 on: August 29, 2017, 12:20:18 PM »
I just hope this isn't TP code for "not my signing, will leave him in the stiffs"

He does have form for this, hopefully I'm being overly cynical (glass half empty) as he did get on the pitch on sunday!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2017, 12:25:26 PM »
I just hope this isn't TP code for "not my signing, will leave him in the stiffs"

He does have form for this, hopefully I'm being overly cynical (glass half empty) as he did get on the pitch on sunday!

You're being pessimistic not cynical but I digress.

Pulis has said that he watched Burke for Scotland U20's in the summer Toulon Tournament and that had played a part in us signing him, so I think he is a Pulis signing.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2017, 01:06:07 PM »
You're being pessimistic not cynical but I digress.

Pulis has said that he watched Burke for Scotland U20's in the summer Toulon Tournament and that had played a part in us signing him, so I think he is a Pulis signing.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks for sharing. Maybe hope for us yet then ;-)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!