Author Topic: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City  (Read 637346 times)

koren

• Senior Baggie

Re: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City
« Reply #3025 on: August 05, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »
Official: Al Nasr confirms an initial agreement with Catania for Maxi Lopez. Will be in UAE in next 24-48 hours to complete move.

They still want Odemwingie?
The PRIDE of midlands

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3026 on: August 05, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »
Official: Al Nasr confirms an initial agreement with Catania for Maxi Lopez. Will be in UAE in next 24-48 hours to complete move.

They still want Odemwingie?
I've seen the odd report on Twitter that they would quite like both.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3027 on: August 05, 2013, 05:46:55 PM »
I've seen the odd report on Twitter that they would quite like both.
Hope so.It is frustrated to hear the news about Odemwingie,if we really received a 1.5m bid,I think we should sell him.
The PRIDE of midlands

johnwilliamso20

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3028 on: August 05, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »
How much more is JP holding out for? Fancy a whip around?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:50:56 PM by johnwilliamso20 »

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3029 on: August 05, 2013, 06:59:33 PM »
Hope so.It is frustrated to hear the news about Odemwingie,if we really received a 1.5m bid,I think we should sell him.

I have faith in JP to get somewhere near £2m

Andzy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3030 on: August 05, 2013, 07:42:56 PM »
If this 1.5m bid is correct i'd take it remember its not just 1.5m but 39k per week in wages that can be spent elsewhere.

eddiethebeagle

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3031 on: August 05, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »
Has Chris L really called him "Odemwinger" in the headline of that article?! Controversial! :)

tellinstories

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3032 on: August 05, 2013, 08:54:20 PM »
Has Chris L really called him "Odemwinger" in the headline of that article?! Controversial! :)

I don't think the journalists write the headlines, it'll be some cheeky sub-editor :-)

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3033 on: August 06, 2013, 10:50:55 AM »
From the E&D today:

August 6, 2013 9:59 am
Peter Odemwingie rules out move from West Brom to Al Nasr
West Bromwich Albion striker Peter Odemwingie has ruled out a move abroad and is ready to stay at The Hawthorns if he cannot seal a Premier League move.

Albion have rejected three bids from the Premier League and the Nigeria international will resist any transfer out of the top flight despite continued interest from Dubai-based club Al Nasr.

He is ready to leave the Baggies but the Hawthorns hierarchy have turned down three bids of around £1.5m plus add-ons from English top-flight clubs including West Ham and Fulham.

Al Nasr have revived their interest in the 32-year-old and held fresh talks with the Baggies in recent days, although reports of an increased bid of £1.5m from the Middle East outfit are premature. They previously had an £850,000 offer rejected out of hand.

However, Odemwingie will fight any attempt by the Baggies to offload him to a foreign club or a Championship side and is intent on staying in the English top flight.

That leaves Baggies bosses with four weeks to agree a deal with a Premier League club before the transfer window closes or be left with the prospect of the forward – who has been frozen out of the first team picture since the start of pre-season – remaining on their wage bill.

Odemwingie has been in open dispute with the Baggies since submitting a transfer request in January.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3034 on: August 06, 2013, 10:53:39 AM »
West Ham or Cardiff is my bet
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

wbatillidie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3035 on: August 06, 2013, 10:55:54 AM »
Even if Sinclair signs I think we will still be short on wingers/forwards. Maybe we are waiting for Kalou to make up his decision and if he chooses elsewhere Odemwingie will be staying?
"You'll never get past Claudio"

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3036 on: August 06, 2013, 10:59:10 AM »
Just read the Express and Star, what a mad situation! Odemwingie is basically doing a JP on JP!

He is playing hardball, by making it clear he will only move to another premiership club it gives the buying club a much greater bargaining power, there is no way they will pay the £3m or whatever it is now as they know Albion at some point will want him gone whatever it takes, i just cannot see us letting him stay on the payroll for another year especially after paying him the last 6 x months for doing very little, i think we made our point not to be messed with.

It could be that on deadline day he goes on loan for the season just to get him off the wage bill, or ends up going for a £1m or something, be really shocked now if we get a decent fee as the options are so limited.

I do wonder if he may end up staying, especially if the Kalou or Sinclair deals dont happen, it may be there is some mass reconcilliation, both parties go public and see clean slate, blah, blah, he puts the effort in for the season, knowing full well this time next year he is on a free and if he has had a good season (and World Cup, not sure if Nigeria are in it) he can command massive wages, signing on fee, etc.

I think that may now become a slight chance, and didnt think that before.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:00:52 AM by Albion79 »

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3037 on: August 06, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »
Even if Sinclair signs I think we will still be short on wingers/forwards. Maybe we are waiting for Kalou to make up his decision and if he chooses elsewhere Odemwingie will be staying?
He can't stay - it's no longer an option for any of those directly involved.

People need to ask themselves at what point does a principled stand turn into a festering carbuncle for the club?

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3038 on: August 06, 2013, 11:00:27 AM »

That's not going to happen. He is training with the kids and totally frozen out of the first team. He is history at West Bromwich Albion Football Club.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3039 on: August 06, 2013, 11:08:39 AM »
Just read the Express and Star, what a mad situation! Odemwingie is basically doing a JP on JP!

He is playing hardball, by making it clear he will only move to another premiership club it gives the buying club a much greater bargaining power, there is no way they will pay the £3m or whatever it is now as they know Albion at some point will want him gone whatever it takes, i just cannot see us letting him stay on the payroll for another year especially after paying him the last 6 x months for doing very little, i think we made our point not to be messed with.

It could be that on deadline day he goes on loan for the season just to get him off the wage bill, or ends up going for a £1m or something, be really shocked now if we get a decent fee as the options are so limited.

I do wonder if he may end up staying, especially if the Kalou or Sinclair deals dont happen, it may be there is some mass reconcilliation, both parties go public and see clean slate, blah, blah, he puts the effort in for the season, knowing full well this time next year he is on a free and if he has had a good season (and World Cup, not sure if Nigeria are in it) he can command massive wages, signing on fee, etc.

I think that may now become a slight chance, and didnt think that before.

Odemwingie is basically doing a JP on JP

I agree Albion79 it seems that way, but that being the case I hope JP put him on Garden leave till the end of his contract.
Stuff the ££££££ he could get for him. Yes I know its cutting my nose off to spit my face but I still would do it.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3040 on: August 06, 2013, 11:25:19 AM »
Another option which will have to be considered at some point is allowing him to buy out his contract, something that he indicated last season that he was prepared to do.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3041 on: August 06, 2013, 11:30:46 AM »
If he was so insistent on joining QPR in January then why he doesn't he drop down to the championship and beg Harry to take him? He spoke highly of him in January.

He made his bed and he can lie in it, the club have to get rid of him, even if it means selling him to a fellow Premier League club - he has no future here. We cannot afford to have his presence constantly distracting the team throughout next season - it's been bad enough in the last seven months.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3042 on: August 06, 2013, 11:52:54 AM »
He was prepared to sacrifice £1m in January from his contract so simple solution is buy himself out of his deal and walk away.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

devonbaggiecjaj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3043 on: August 06, 2013, 12:54:11 PM »
This will make it really hard for us to move him on only two weeks to season start and most teams have sorted out there forwards. These teams looking at him will also be looking at the fact he has not completed a preseason and not featured in a friendly game so will not match fit having not played for us since March time. We really are between the rock and hard place on this one.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3044 on: August 06, 2013, 01:28:29 PM »
This is my gut feeling, I think he'll stay make a pathetic attempt at an apology which the majority of the fans will not accept.

He won't feature at all until we are hit by injuries in February time and he will get his chance. Hell score 6 or 7 goals and end up moving on a free next summer to another prem club we will get said club in the first game of the season and he'll play a blinder.

Either that or he'll go out on loan  ;D

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3045 on: August 06, 2013, 01:34:36 PM »
Don't worry about it... the desperate clubs will be sweating in a couple more weeks and be making a queue at JP's door.

and he will get us the price we deserve ;)
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3046 on: August 06, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »
Don't worry about it... the desperate clubs will be sweating in a couple more weeks and be making a queue at JP's door.

and he will get us the price we deserve ;)

I've said this all along. JP will never bow to player power. Never has, never will. Just watch us get over the odds for him from the likes of Cardiff.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3047 on: August 06, 2013, 01:44:31 PM »
Clubs know the longer it goes on the more likely we are to soften our stance in terms of transfer fee and maybe even with the player in terms of wages so I think it was always likely to go late into the window.

We were right to make a stand as a club as we looked like fools once he had his interview on Sky, had he waited around the corner out of sight of the journalists until he go ahead there wouldn't have been so much of a problem. Unfortunately he couldn't keep his mouth shut on twitter and made things worse for everyone, now he and the club are suffering. We can't afford to have someone earning so much and not adding anything to the team for a year and he isn't going to offer anyone much if he isn't fit for the new season and he certainly won't be having to train on his own.

I still think he will get a move but it will be late on. The whole sorry saga needs to come to an end for everyone's sake.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3048 on: August 06, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »
He was prepared to sacrifice £1m in January from his contract so simple solution is buy himself out of his deal and walk away.
I said this was the most probable , I still think there is a chance he will be our player for the season
I see
sold30%
stays 30%
buys out 40%
without dragging up all the old arguments , if we are top 6 scoring for fun and Petes got 7 by Christmas it may help restore SOME of his rep.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 01:49:42 PM by zippyandbungle »
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3049 on: August 06, 2013, 02:15:24 PM »
I said this was the most probable , I still think there is a chance he will be our player for the season
I see
sold30%
stays 30%
buys out 40%
without dragging up all the old arguments , if we are top 6 scoring for fun and Petes got 7 by Christmas it may help restore SOME of his rep.

There's more chance of us having Rooney and Messi as our strike force than Odemwingie having the opportunity to score another single goal of us.  He is "toast" at this club.