Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5161988 times)

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #14300 on: May 03, 2017, 04:59:55 PM »
I don't like his strain of negative football.
At least he has kept us with a chance to proceed to the next level of a higher position.
We shall have to wait and see what next season brings.
Is it mid-table mediocrity or mid-table safety?
Cup half full or half empty?

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14301 on: May 03, 2017, 05:28:31 PM »
I'm not asking for us to go down and recreate it , and I get not every club can be successful in that sense. However, what I would like to see, is us play out a full season. I'd like us to really challenge for a cup. I'd like us to push and push when we had a slim chance of europe.

Instead, for the second season running stopped playing with ten games to go.
I agree with what you say. I'm not sure they have stopped playing as such; I think our problem has been highlighted over the last 8 games.....top scorer is a defender remember and goals mainly from set pieces. No real creativity (or not much) without Phillips on the pitch.
Don't call me Walt

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14302 on: May 03, 2017, 05:41:01 PM »
Simple question - do you want to watch the Albion reach 40 points and hit the beach for the next 5 years?

I don't, I want to see progression but I am also realistic on what we can achieve. A few games ago we were 5 points behind Everton and in reasonable form, talking about Europe. Everton have disappeared into the sunset whilst we have stood still. Given what we had before, TP was absolutely necessary and we are in a better place for him. We have a new board and for me this close season is the acid test for their intentions. I don't expect money to be thrown around, but I do expect to see some real investment in quality players - not last minute bargain basement deals that we have seen recently. I am fed up of being linked to £25m players, only for the deal not to go through or another club muscle in. I am starting to believe that it is all hype to move tickets - there is not too much evidence to the contrary is there? Take William Carvalho, we could have bought him last year but we didn't, and now we are linked to him again. If he is 'the beast' that TP wants, then lets go and get him - we were not too far away from the asking price last year, but you know and I know that deal will not come off for one reason or another. Progression also goes to the youth players we are bringing through. We have some decent prospects there but I am at a loss as to why he isn't playing them, or sending them out on loan for development.
Some of the football this year has been really good and I have loved being there. However, some of it has been mundane and dire, and this needs to change. You can call me what you want but I am going to give it another year and I want to see progress. If not then I will pick and chose my games.
Depending on the weather, I will be there long after TP has gone.........       

Seriously do you think we were ever close to Everton? Everton have been a bigger club for years than us and you think we can compete with these.

And yes I want to see Albion reach 40 points if it means staying in the top flight. Does anyone seriously on here want to go back to the up and down of a few years ago or the lost years of the 90s when we were dancing on the pitch when we scored a late winner at crew etc. And please don't anyone tell me it was more fun then. I remember we had to hold a competition to design the Brummie and smethick seat design with all cash for entries going to Alan buckleys transfer kitty. We managed to buy tony Rees. I saw all that and don't wish to again. Let this man manage

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #14303 on: May 03, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »
he's a good manager if you just want uninspiring league safety. maybe this is the ceiling for our club, if so then I can understand the posters who want different. each to their own but even a relegation scrap was exciting, unless you end up going down of course. no doubt we needed his stability when appointed but I hope I am wrong in thinking his mantra of hitting the safety mark and his cup results wont change .

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14304 on: May 03, 2017, 06:13:56 PM »

Seriously do you think we were ever close to Everton? Everton have been a bigger club for years than us and you think we can compete with these.

And yes I want to see Albion reach 40 points if it means staying in the top flight. Does anyone seriously on here want to go back to the up and down of a few years ago or the lost years of the 90s when we were dancing on the pitch when we scored a late winner at crew etc. And please don't anyone tell me it was more fun then. I remember we had to hold a competition to design the Brummie and smethick seat design with all cash for entries going to Alan buckleys transfer kitty. We managed to buy tony Rees. I saw all that and don't wish to again. Let this man manage

I don't recall saying that.

Alan Buckley, been there done that, had the ST then too... a different era but it makes us realise how far we have come.

Not so long ago under Irvine we were heading very much in the wrong direction and TP arrived. I for one was very happy, but the evidence is there to suggest that he has reached his outer limits skills wise.

So, back to my original question - do you really want Albion to reach 40 points and hit the beach for the next five years?
MAGA!

Ukar1

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #14305 on: May 03, 2017, 06:47:13 PM »
Just love TP, and hope he is here for many many more years.

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14306 on: May 03, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »
It's that old saying again isn't it .. be careful what you wish for!

It's funny, but working in Solihull I'm surrounded by Blues & Villa fans that are always telling me they'd give anything to have Tony Pulis as their clubs manager.
Coming back from Saturdays defeat to Leicester, I overheard somebody saying that in Pulis's managerial career, at every club he's been at, he's won 6 out of 46 games played. Horrendous stats if true & a real damp squib end to the season, but ultimately we'll be the only local club plying it's trade in the Premier league again next season.
Personally, I think it'd be a massive gamble to get rid of him, but understand why fans are a little flat & a bit disillusioned atm. So let's get behind the bloke & pray for a couple more quality signings & hopefully improve our points tally & still be in the FA Cup this time next year.

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14307 on: May 03, 2017, 06:58:21 PM »

It's funny, but working in Solihull I'm surrounded by Blues & Villa fans that are always telling me they'd give anything to have Tony Pulis as their clubs manager.
Coming back from Saturdays defeat to Leicester, I overheard somebody saying that in Pulis's managerial career, at every club he's been at, he's won 6 out of 46 games played. Horrendous stats if true & a real damp squib end to the season, but ultimately we'll be the only local club plying it's trade in the Premier league again next season.
Personally, I think it'd be a massive gamble to get rid of him, but understand why fans are a little flat & a bit disillusioned atm. So let's get behind the bloke & pray for a couple more quality signings & hopefully improve our points tally & still be in the FA Cup this time next year.

Sorry folks if I've confused you with my above post ..

Meant to say .. since TP has got clubs safe from relegation he's won 6 from 46 games played.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #14308 on: May 03, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »

be nice to see us in a cup final.

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14309 on: May 03, 2017, 07:21:16 PM »
Pulis for me has done his bit, my lad no longer comes with me and will not whilst we play the style of football.  I have a ticket still for him, so a mate or two come with me, there are not many repeat takers.
What are their opinions well they can not for the life of them appreciate watching setting up every game for a nil, nil and the Brucey bonus of a set piece.
Most don't understand why Fletcher or the team in general can not as premiership players can not string 4/5 decent passes together, the rb or lb having to take throw ins on every occasion and instead of going forward when there is a real chance wingers or so called attacking midfielders pass backwards and stall the game.
I will be there again next season but friends and family maybe not.     

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #14310 on: May 03, 2017, 10:08:36 PM »
The question for me is where do we go from here?

Regardless of our finishing position the concern for me is the development of the playing staff. We have a lot of players into their thirties and only the foolish would expect to keep asking them to continue to dig deep sooner or later their bodies and minds will find the athleticism of this league too much .

It is therefore time to go out sign and integrate players into the club . Regardless of the clubs intentions I think we need 7 plus a couple of our own kids .

Pulis has done well to get us this far whether he's the man to take it from this point I'm not sure .

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14311 on: May 04, 2017, 01:08:29 AM »
He defiantly had us punching above our weight but that's due to his stubbornness to play fletcher at all costs and play a centre back at full back and negative his tactics.

Some good signings made by him and he's got rid of a lot of deadwood. But wba will only ever do 40 points with him at the helm. The kids will never get a chance. Our only hope will ever be in the cups- and his record in the domestic cup competitions is abhorrant.

Need a golden handshake come summer and move on
O Albion we love you

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14312 on: May 04, 2017, 02:31:00 AM »
League:   where we are at he moment is absolutely our ceiling - above it if anything - and we only reach here when we have great managers (Roy and TP) - I am 100% happy to jog along like this (anywhere between 8th and 14th, 40 points by easter) indefinitely - even more so when villa and wolves are not

Cup:  we have been absolutely awful I really dont know why but its really annoying. Of course we could and should do better

Europa:  If we could somehow fluke into that I'd love it just for the trips.

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14313 on: May 04, 2017, 03:10:08 AM »
We got roughly the 11th highest wage budget so being in 8th is overachieving. (Bournemouth seems to be bigger overachievers) so in that regard Tony is doing very well.

Idk, I think any club in our position will have a tough time having a good league position and do well in cup competitions because it's hard to build up that depth. So it's a trade off with league position compared to committing to cups.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14314 on: May 04, 2017, 08:43:21 AM »
We're 8th because majority of teams this season have been p*ss poor.

Haven't scored a goal in 5 games... 4 clean sheets all season ( if i remember right )... may not be a miracle but you can't deny we have been lucky this season.

Don't let our league position ATM pull the wool over your eyes, come the 22nd may that will be gone and unless pulis finds a bit of ambition from somewhere, we are in for a very long season next season.

No we are not. We are 8th because of our results and performances over the last 34 games. Nobody has given us anything, all the points we have, we're earned the old fashioned way.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14315 on: May 04, 2017, 09:11:38 AM »
We're 8th because majority of teams this season have been p*ss poor.

Haven't scored a goal in 5 games... 4 clean sheets all season ( if i remember right )... may not be a miracle but you can't deny we have been lucky this season.

Don't let our league position ATM pull the wool over your eyes, come the 22nd may that will be gone and unless pulis finds a bit of ambition from somewhere, we are in for a very long season next season.

It's 6 clean sheets: Palace & Man Utd away, Boro,Sunderland, Burnley and Stoke at home. Still not great though.

I think we've been more unlucky in games than lucky. If Rondon hadn't made that stupid pass on Saturday we'd have been looking at our 7th clean sheet (and probably still our 5th game without a goal), it was bad luck that Fraser Forster had the best performance of his season against us for Soton..on another day we'd have had 2 or 3.

If we finish higher than last season then we've made progress surely? Obviously to not finish 8th with or without 50 points will feel like a kick in the b*lls but if we finish in the top 10 then it's still a positive.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14316 on: May 04, 2017, 09:16:03 AM »
It's 6 clean sheets: Palace & Man Utd away, Boro,Sunderland, Burnley and Stoke at home. Still not great though.

I think we've been more unlucky in games than lucky. If Rondon hadn't made that stupid pass on Saturday we'd have been looking at our 7th clean sheet (and probably still our 5th game without a goal), it was bad luck that Fraser Forster had the best performance of his season against us for Soton..on another day we'd have had 2 or 3.

If we finish higher than last season then we've made progress surely? Obviously to not finish 8th with or without 50 points will feel like a kick in the b*lls but if we finish in the top 10 then it's still a positive.

We would have taken that at the start of the season Hull, so no complaints for me. However, given the change of ownership I am expecting progress and improvement for next year.
MAGA!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14317 on: May 04, 2017, 09:31:50 AM »
We would have taken that at the start of the season Hull, so no complaints for me. However, given the change of ownership I am expecting progress and improvement for next year.

Couldn't agree more. I want to see us have another season free from relegation worries coupled with more consistent and entertaining performances on the park and a decent cup run; by that I mean 5th round as a minimum.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14318 on: May 04, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »
No we are not. We are 8th because of our results and performances over the last 34 games. Nobody has given us anything, all the points we have, we're earned the old fashioned way.

A very old fashioned way, anti-football.

To stay in 8th despite two months of doing nothing to me shows how poor teams below us have been this season.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14319 on: May 04, 2017, 09:35:38 AM »
The question for me is where do we go from here?

Regardless of our finishing position the concern for me is the development of the playing staff. We have a lot of players into their thirties and only the foolish would expect to keep asking them to continue to dig deep sooner or later their bodies and minds will find the athleticism of this league too much .

It is therefore time to go out sign and integrate players into the club . Regardless of the clubs intentions I think we need 7 plus a couple of our own kids .

Pulis has done well to get us this far whether he's the man to take it from this point I'm not sure .

That's exactly it, we need to move on . We are so reluctant to move on the ageing players, because they're all 'good eggs'.  I'm not sure I trust Pulis to enhance this squad with round pegs in round holes. It needs a revamp.

Further to that, I do wonder how many players will want to come and sign for a side, regardless of wages, that is set up first and foremost to defend.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14320 on: May 04, 2017, 09:38:08 AM »

I would argue that you need to make your own luck at times. I get fed up of hearing people around me claiming the ball never drops for us. There is a reason why it doesn't, we have little or no movement in the side compared to other teams who are constantly on the move, so cumbersome at times.

On last season, anything this season had to be progress, as last season was the worst I have seen at our place in terms of entertainment. I struggle to remember many games where we've played the opposition off the park. Even the 4-0 against Burnley, they missed a couple of sitters at 0-0 and 1-0 and we scored with a couple of set pieces as ever. West Ham to win 4-2 we were dominated for the majority of the game, got the opener with a penalty where the lad randomly stuck out an arm with no danger and they could have quite easily eeked out a draw second half. Arsenal we had nothing of the ball and won it with set pieces as ever. Those would be our three best wins this season I would say.

I don't think under a new manager we would do any better in terms of position, but Christ it would be nice to see us play some football.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14321 on: May 04, 2017, 09:42:19 AM »
A very old fashioned way, anti-football.

To stay in 8th despite two months of doing nothing to me shows how poor teams below us have been this season.

Another way to look at is that the teams from 8th to 17th are pretty similar and anyone of them can beat each other, after all there are only 10 points from 8th to 17th, but 37 points between 8th and 1st. That would suggest that the top 7 are markedly better than the rest but the rest are very similar.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14322 on: May 04, 2017, 09:47:13 AM »
I would argue that you need to make your own luck at times. I get fed up of hearing people around me claiming the ball never drops for us. There is a reason why it doesn't, we have little or no movement in the side compared to other teams who are constantly on the move, so cumbersome at times.

On last season, anything this season had to be progress, as last season was the worst I have seen at our place in terms of entertainment. I struggle to remember many games where we've played the opposition off the park. Even the 4-0 against Burnley, they missed a couple of sitters at 0-0 and 1-0 and we scored with a couple of set pieces as ever. West Ham to win 4-2 we were dominated for the majority of the game, got the opener with a penalty where the lad randomly stuck out an arm with no danger and they could have quite easily eeked out a draw second half. Arsenal we had nothing of the ball and won it with set pieces as ever. Those would be our three best wins this season I would say.

I don't think under a new manager we would do any better in terms of position, but Christ it would be nice to see us play some football.

Agree that we have little or no movement in the side, throw ins are a very stark reminder of this also the gap between the striker and the midfield and I'd love to see us play a more entertaining style of football.

What's wrong with scoring from set pieces? We have scored plenty from open play too.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14323 on: May 04, 2017, 09:59:20 AM »
Agree that we have little or no movement in the side, throw ins are a very stark reminder of this also the gap between the striker and the midfield and I'd love to see us play a more entertaining style of football.

What's wrong with scoring from set pieces? We have scored plenty from open play too.

My sentiments exactly.

Nothing wrong with scoring from set pieces, it is a great string to have to the bow, but I don't feel that we do enough from open play. We have scored 39 goals this season, fewer than Swansea, Palace, West Ham, Bournemouth, Leicester etc. If 15 of those are from set pieces, I would argue that we have not scored enough from open play personally.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14324 on: May 04, 2017, 10:01:01 AM »
Another way to look at is that the teams from 8th to 17th are pretty similar and anyone of them can beat each other, after all there are only 10 points from 8th to 17th, but 37 points between 8th and 1st. That would suggest that the top 7 are markedly better than the rest but the rest are very similar.

Agree with that, however I think the likes of Southampton and West Ham are better than us in terms of calibre of player and should be above us. You could argue Leicester based on last season alone. Few under performers