Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 409996 times)

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #1400 on: March 14, 2021, 09:51:27 AM »
I can only assume he will be given a new deal due to not wanting to add to the summer upheaval  ::)

Painfully correct.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1401 on: March 14, 2021, 10:08:09 AM »
He's not out of contract this summer so no need to worry about getting a new deal yet. That will come next season halfway through  ;D

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1402 on: April 12, 2021, 09:02:32 PM »
I will eat my words. Workmanlike performance in the 2nd half that i saw and a goal to top it off.

How was he first half? It's never been his ability i've doubted it's the fact he very rarely does it week in week out for 90 mins. He usually looks knackered at half time but got on with it today.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 09:10:46 PM by gazberg »

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1403 on: April 12, 2021, 09:10:15 PM »
Slagged him off numerous times this season but has played his way into form, congrats Matt keep it going you look like a premiership player.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1404 on: April 12, 2021, 09:12:14 PM »
I will eat my words. Workmanlike performance and a goal to top it off.

How was he first half? It's never been his ability i've doubted it's the fact he very rarely does it week in week out for 90 mins. He usually looks knackered at half time but got on with it today.

Big sam getting a tune out of him. Still needs to leave when current deal up. Hopefully his goal gets him to another level for rest of season
O Albion we love you

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1405 on: April 12, 2021, 09:27:07 PM »
Looked very lively and able to beat his man. Anticipated the cross for his goal and then finished cleanly. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1406 on: April 12, 2021, 09:27:58 PM »
Big sam getting a tune out of him. Still needs to leave when current deal up. Hopefully his goal gets him to another level for rest of season

He's here next season and then his deal is up isnt it? I can live with that. I believe he will be 30/31 then.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1407 on: April 12, 2021, 10:29:43 PM »
Call me cynical, but, he can put himself in the shop window when it  is required but during the nitty gritty part of the season when it counts, can't be ar3d
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1408 on: April 12, 2021, 11:31:32 PM »
Call me cynical, but, he can put himself in the shop window when it  is required but during the nitty gritty part of the season when it counts, can't be ar3d
I have a different, cynical take on it...he's been up and down all his career and at 30 under Bilic he decided he wasn't ar3d but since Allardyce has came in he's had a rocket up it. Hopefully his form continues. In fairness, a lot of people forget how good he used to be before last season.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1409 on: April 12, 2021, 11:46:23 PM »
How many years has Phillips been here now? Four? The pattern has been the same every season - a very good spell followed by a big dip in form. It seems this time around he has just finished a season strongly rather than starting it that way.

Some players are like that ultimately. Its possible/likely that the reason he has been involved in 3 or 4 prem relegations and dropped by Scotland is that he is too inconsistent to be a top level player.

When on form though, he is a great asset.
Boing Boing

Singhwba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1410 on: April 13, 2021, 12:16:09 PM »
I think with Matty, he works well with managers who play this sort of way. Maybe he needs an arm round him. Worked well under Pulis and now Allardyce. Didnt he have Holloway before who was sort of the same?

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1411 on: April 13, 2021, 12:25:09 PM »
Phillips remains and enigma and a frustrating player. Under Pulis when we were playing well he was class and had a great season. There is a talented player in there but blows so hot and cold. He has played well for the past few games and yet couldn’t get in the team in the championship...Personally I wouldn’t renew his contract. Find a younger player in his position.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1412 on: April 13, 2021, 01:09:33 PM »
I think with Matty, he works well with managers who play this sort of way. Maybe he needs an arm round him. Worked well under Pulis and now Allardyce. Didnt he have Holloway before who was sort of the same?

Hes best playing as a wide midfielder there to work best off the ball rather than being a wide man expected to be a consistent threat in the final third. He's a wide midfielder rather than a wide forward.

He's playing wide midfield under Sam now much like he did under Pulis.

That said he does lack consistency. He's a streak player. The good thing for us is, if / when his form dips we have a ready replacement in Snodgrass and the team would barely notice a difference quality wise.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1413 on: April 13, 2021, 01:22:03 PM »
You're right, when Phillips' form drops to the point where we need to drop him, then bringing in Snodgrass wouldn't make a difference to the quality.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1414 on: April 13, 2021, 01:44:13 PM »
Playing well at the moment. Looks fit and up for the scrap. This set up suits him, and he is on one of his long awaited streaks of real quality. long may it continue. but if not then Snodgrass is ready and waiting.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1415 on: April 13, 2021, 09:41:10 PM »
Another Brunt, plays well for half a season and missing the rest, should be his last season with us

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1416 on: April 13, 2021, 10:03:59 PM »
Another Brunt, plays well for half a season and missing the rest, should be his last season with us

He's under contract until end of 2022.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1417 on: April 13, 2021, 10:09:06 PM »
His best game of the season, comfortably, yesterday. Pleased for him. He needs to keep up the work-rate and belief.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1418 on: April 14, 2021, 10:06:18 AM »
He's under contract until end of 2022.
Pleased I didn't give him that contract, whoever did seems to be incompetent

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1419 on: April 14, 2021, 10:36:37 AM »
I've seen him look unplayable in the Champ and look at home in the Prem.  I've also sen him do a passable impression of a Sunday league pub player. 

One of those players who seems to struggle with fitness, maybe he needs "support" with his regime?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1420 on: April 14, 2021, 10:58:14 AM »
Pleased I didn't give him that contract, whoever did seems to be incompetent

He's just turned 30 so will be 31 at end of next season. About right i guess.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1421 on: April 14, 2021, 11:05:38 AM »
Top end Matty is here , enjoy it while it lasts .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1422 on: April 14, 2021, 11:06:58 AM »
Top end Matty is here , enjoy it while it lasts .

Could be good timing. Top end Matty is a joy to watch.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1423 on: April 15, 2021, 09:44:20 AM »
Could be good timing. Top end Matty is a joy to watch.
He's had 3 good games already though, that means he's only got 2 left! If I was Snodgrass, I'd be staying fit!

Fair play to Matty though and you are right, when he's on song, he can turn back the years, just hope he can keep it up for the next 7.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1424 on: April 15, 2021, 05:01:54 PM »
He's had 3 good games already though, that means he's only got 2 left! If I was Snodgrass, I'd be staying fit!

Fair play to Matty though and you are right, when he's on song, he can turn back the years, just hope he can keep it up for the next 7.

Snodgrass is carrying an injury. He's had an epidural and is expected to be out for another seven to ten days.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.